Start by marking “Soul Eater (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #3)” as Want to Read:
Soul Eater (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #3)

Soul Eater (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #3)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  8,103 Ratings  ·  249 Reviews
Torak has survived the summer and his heart-stopping adventure in the Seal Islands. He and Wolf are together again. But their reunion is all too short-lived. As mid winter approaches Torak learns that the Soul-Eaters have snatched Wolf and will sacrifice him. Desperate to rescue him, Torak hatches a perilous plan.
Published 2007 by Orion Childrens (first published December 31st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Eater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Eater

Connor
Jan 14, 2017 Connor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how much research Michelle did in order to do this series well. I feel like I'm learning at the same time as being really entertained. Looking forward to seeing what unfolds in the next three books!
Pauline
"Soul Eater" is the third book in "Chronicles of Ancient Darkness", but there will be six books in all.

The story continues to follow Renn and Torak in their pursuit of the Soul Eaters, who have captured wolf; Torak's canine companion and ‘pack brother’. Wolf is to be used in a series of sacrifices to protect the Soul Eaters from the demons they are to unleash into the world.

Torak and Renn pursue the Soul Eaters and try to prevent the evil they wish to release. Torak is a spirit walker and is abl
Chanelle
I read this one so quickly that I didn’t even have time to put it on my currently reading list before I began Outcast.

The first thing I have to say is Michelle Paver (so far) seems to be naming her books very precisely. It’s simple yet very apt plus it mimics the subtle intensity of the action and the prose in this book. Another very subtle event is the developing relationship between Torak and Renn as they try to navigate their growing friendship.

Renn’s characterization is so cool. She's beco
Maythavee
Feb 10, 2013 Maythavee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I knew Michelle Paver wouldn’t let me down. Soul Eater was a fantastic book! My favourite book in the series so far!

I love the characters even more as the series goes on. Paver knew what she was doing and she does it well. I seriously feel bad for Torak. Bad things just keep happening to him. Why can’t he be at peace just for a little longer? Wolf being kidnapped is one of the worst things that could have happened to him. I love his dedication to find Wolf but it also blinded him which caused h
Erwin Adriansyah
Apr 28, 2010 Erwin Adriansyah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*Pertama kali dipost di thread Pembahasan Berbagai Novel di forum Role Playing Cyber Novel Video Games Indonesia tanggal 30 April 2008*

Sinopsis

Sejak petualangan dalan kisah Wolf Brother dan terror dalam Spirit Walker, persahabatan antara Torak dan Serigala kian erat.

Saat berburu di musim dingin, Serigala diculik. Demi menyelamatkan saudara sekawannya, Torak dan Renn mengejar hingga ke Utara Jauh, daerah di mana salju tidak pernah mencair. Di sana, para Pemangsa Arwah telah merencanakan tindakan
Lala
Nov 14, 2013 Lala rated it it was amazing
"We keep our dead with us till spring, said Akoomik, to save them from the foxes. And to stop them feeling left out, Tanugeak added comfortably. They like chatting just as much as we do. When you see a star travelling very fast, that's one of them setting off to visit their friends."

Fantastic! Paver is brilliant with words, she takes us into Torak's world again and keeps us hooked with every detail and description. Torak and Renn set off on yet another journey only this time they take on the fri
Asriani
Jul 25, 2008 Asriani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Setelah melewati petualangan yang nayris merenggutnya nyawanya di wilayah kekuasaan Klan Anjing Laut, Torak dan Serigala kembali ke Klan Gagak dengan banyak hal baru. Mengetahui kebenaran memang terkadang seperti menelan pil pahit. Awalnya tak mudah bagi Torak untuk mempercayai semua hal yang dibenarkan oleh Fin- Keddin, pemimpin Klan Gagak, namun ia akhirnya sadar bawa tak mungkin menghindar. Garis nasibnya telah ditentukan. Walau hal itu berarti berhadapan dengan sekumpulan Pemangsa Arwah.

Tak
Anna
'Soul Eater' takes us to the Far North as Torak and Renn venture to save Wolf. They go where not many people dare to enter, and therefore our heroes are alone for most of the book. However, it didn't tire me out. This also means that there's only Torak, Renn and Wolf to stand against Soul Eaters and a whole horde of demons. Their outstanding courage really astounded me. We got to see Torak spirit walk deliberately, and the process is not as harmless and pleasant as I thought it to be. And the fa ...more
Big Pete
Nov 20, 2015 Big Pete rated it it was amazing
Soul Eater opens in the silence of the forest as winter sets in. Torak and Renn are hunting, and Torak notices an owl feather lying upon the snow. He hopes it's not a bad omen. It is.
In moments, Wolf is abducted and Torak and Renn hunt his pursuers, venturing into the far north, where nothing is as it seems and one slip upon the ice can spell your doom...
Soul Eater is a much darker book than Wolf Brother and Spirit Walker, with less action and more travelling, but when violence comes it is sava
 Marla
Oh no, Wolf is taken to the far north by soul eaters. Torak and Renn chase after him and it is a scary and dangerous trip. Most of this book is either traveling through the cold and ice or hiding and bumbling around a dark, dirty, spooky cave.

I didn't like this book as much as the other 2 books. It is much darker and not as much action.

(view spoiler)
Zack
Under en jakt blir Ulv blir kidnappad och bortförd. Torak tvekar inte innan han ger sig ut för att rädda sin flockbror, envist bestämd att hitta Ulv och rädda honom från denna okända fiende. Som vanligt har han Renn vid sin sida, och det blir snart uppenbart att han inte skulle komma långt utan henne. Ulvs kidnappare rör sig upp i den frusna vildmarken i norr som under vintern är en dödsfälla för alla de som inte är vana vid den.

Men under deras vandring möter de på Viträvsklanen som pratar om nå
Candy Wood
Michelle Paver’s Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series so far is a model for how a series ought to work. Like the first two books, this one has a plot that is complete in itself while still building on the earlier books and setting up problems for the next ones. Right away, Wolf is captured by people who turn out to be Soul Eaters, as Torak’s father was before he realized their evil intent, so Torak and Renn set out to find and rescue him. The journey leads them to the Far North, where many chal ...more
Kelly
Nov 14, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst out hunting with Renn, somebody snatches Wolf, and takes him to the Far North. Torak cannot abandon his pack brother, so they follow through unknown territory, but can they make it in time to save Wolf?

Again, another fantastic addition to the series. I'm really enjoying these books, you can tell the amount of research the author has done because it's so realistically detailed for that time. The stories have started to get darker in tone as Torak and Renn get closer to fighting the Soul Ea
Bestfantasyblog
Nov 06, 2016 Bestfantasyblog rated it it was amazing
A review by guest blogger C (age 10)

This book was very interesting because it explains what Torak is feeling deep down inside and so Michelle has decided to improve it and take it to the next level. Although I was a little troubled at the beginning because I didn`t really understand the language, but then later on in the book I got quite used to it.

I would recommend this book if you like description and an interesting use of language. Also what I liked about this book since I read it (I am now o
Cheetah Steve
Dec 30, 2016 Cheetah Steve rated it it was amazing
So cool!
Darthvader15
Jan 08, 2014 Darthvader15 rated it did not like it
Review of: Soul Eater
By: Michelle Paver
After Wolf is captured by the Soul-Eaters, Torak and Renn must travel north. To the base of the Soul-Eaters. But it's going to be hard, as they encounter many other problems on the way, one that threatens to derail their plan, and maybe even kill them. And above all: If they do get to Wolf, will he even remember Torak? Or will the Soul-Eaters have done something unspeakable to him? The answer to both questions: I don't care.
This book had a completely unre
Alonika
Sep 29, 2016 Alonika rated it really liked it
Torak finally met the Soul Eaters.
Charity
Aug 31, 2013 Charity rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
My daughter had four of the six books in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series out from the library at the same time, rushing through one after another. I've been trying to catch up with her, so when I finished Spirit Walker (book 2), I picked up Outcast, thinking it was book 3.

As I read, I had a feeling that something was missing, that Paver was making references to things I didn't remember, but I thought maybe she was just changing up the formula a bit, keeping the reader in suspense and
Fadhilatul
Mar 15, 2013 Fadhilatul rated it it was amazing
Serigala diculik! Torak dan Ren segera memutuskan untuk mencarinya tanpa pulan terlebih untuk meminta bantuan. Di tengah perjalanan mereka baru tahu jika para pemakan arwah-lah yang telah membawa serigala untuk dijadikan korban.

Para pemakan arwah ingin menguasai setan agar mereka bisa menguasai kawasan hutan. Setelah mendapatkan serigala kembali akankah Torak pergi begitu saja atau tetap melawan para pemakan arwah?

Buku ketiga dari Chronicles of Ancient Darkness masih seru sama seperti dua buku s
Xander
Dec 19, 2014 Xander rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Another wonderful tale in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. In this episode Torak and Renn track after the Soul Eaters who have captured Wolf to use him as a sacrifice in their quest for power. The historical accuracy that has made the previous books so strong in my opinion, continues here in Soul Eater. The details of the ways in which the people of the north lived and used every part of the seals was incredibly interesting and flawlessly woven into the tale. I could feel the cold biti ...more
Martins
Dec 16, 2016 Martins rated it it was amazing
didnt like the storyline too much but the book was realy good
Marlowe
Jul 17, 2015 Marlowe rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the prehistoric fiction that I’ve read (the Earth’s Children series and The Gathering Night pop immediately to mind), so when I picked Soul Eater up at a sale, I figured it’d be worth a try.

This is actually the third in a series, but there was nothing on the outer cover of the book to indicate this. All it says is that it’s part of the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness. It’s okay, though, because the book works perfectly well as a stand-alone. There are references to what has happene
Aaeryn González
Marianne Brouwer
Jan 02, 2014 Marianne Brouwer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weer een heel spannend verhaal, waarin Torak en Renn terecht komen bij de Inuït op hun zoektocht naar Wolf die ontvoerd is. Michelle Paver beschrijft hierin ook weer op gedetailleerde wijze de gebruiken van deze stam, dat vind ik een sterk punt tot nu toe in de reeks.
Wolf is ontvoerd door de zieleters, die 9 jagers willen offeren, ijsbeer, otter, arend, veelwraat, vos, uil, wolf, lynx en de mens en met hun bloed de poort naar de andere wereld willen openen.
Het speelt zich af in een diepe grot w
Bailey Mckellips
Nov 27, 2012 Bailey Mckellips rated it it was amazing
I really like the book "Soul Eaters" by Michelle Paver. When you hear the title, you think the book would be about eating souls. It's no where near that. This book is about a young native american boy named Torak who is from the Wolf Clan. He has a wolf for a "pack-brother." When wolf mysteriously disappears, Torak gets worried. He goes in search of Wolf with his friend Renn, A girl from the Raven Clan. They eventually find Wolf but he's in trouble and it is very dangerous to try to rescue him. ...more
Diego
Mar 01, 2015 Diego rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1
Shelves: michelle-paver
5 estrellas, extraordinario.

La tercera aventura de esta emocionante y prehistórica saga. Torak y Renn se enfrentan esta vez a los mismísimos devoradores de alma. Con solo 13 veranos en su cuerpo, ambos se embarcan en una expedición que los llevara por el lejano norte, donde habitan osos de hielo, zorros albinos y un viento muy frío. Esta tercera entrega ha sido tan emocionante como la anterior, no hay necesidad de estar mirando las páginas solo con el avanzar de la historia basta. La autora tien
Laura Anderson
Wasn't too keen on this one. It had a twist in it, but the lead up felt overlong, and there wasn't enough story for my liking. Still, I'm reading the rest of the series!
Gavriil Gabriel
Apr 25, 2016 Gavriil Gabriel rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audiobook in Ian Mckellen's voice and it was one hell of a ride.
Soul Eater is slightly more darker than the predecessors, going up close with the soul eaters and infiltrating their ranks to rescue wolf who was captured along side 8 other hunters of the wild. Torak learns a little bit more about his fathers past, makes new friends in the far north where to survive you have to live like the ice bear.
Renn is getting more and more fierce crawling through cracks in the rock with no
Luann
There are quite a few students at my school who LOVE this series. I like it a lot, although I never get that "must read the next book RIGHT NOW" feeling. I definitely plan to read them all, but I enjoy spreading them out and visiting this world in-between a lot of other worlds.

As for this specific book in the series, I quite enjoyed it. This time Torak and Renn must journey to the frozen land of the Far North to save Wolf who has been captured by Soul Eaters. Torak and Renn learn a lot about the
Lars Guthrie
Oct 25, 2008 Lars Guthrie rated it it was amazing
I've been giving glowing reviews to the "Ranger's Apprentice" series by John Flanagan here, but this series by Paver is just as good. Placed in prehistory, it also provokes thought as to how far we may really have "advanced," and gives great insight and perspective on the natural world that our ancestors occupied and that we still find around us, if we care to notice (and protect). Paver's notes on her research at the end of each book are fascinating. Beyond those benefits, the series is chock f ...more
  • The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4)
  • Fantasy Fiesta 2011: Antologi Cerita Fantasi Terbaik 2011
  • Dragon Moon (Dragon Keeper, #3)
  • Star Dancer (Star Dancer Quartet #1)
  • The Seeing Stone (Arthur Trilogy, #1)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 15 (Soul Eater, #15)
  • Urchin and the Heartstone (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #2)
  • The Sphere of Secrets (The Oracle Prophecies, #2)
  • Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Moribito, #1)
  • Laura und der Fluch der Drachenkönige (Laura, #4)
  • The Edge Chronicles 9: Freeglader: Third Book of Rook
  • Prince of Pirates (Sebastian Darke, #2)
  • ひかりのまち
  • +Anima 10 (+Anima, #10)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • Endymion Spring
  • Nightrise (The Gatekeepers, #3)
  • City of Stars (Stravaganza, #2)
119755
Michelle Paver was born in Central Africa, but came to England as a child. After gaining a degree in Biochemistry from Oxford University, she became a partner in a City law firm, but eventually gave that up to write full-time.

The hugely successful Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series arose from Michelle's lifelong passion for animals, anthropology and the distant past - as as well as an encounter
More about Michelle Paver...

Chronicles of Ancient Darkness (6 books)
  • Wolf Brother (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #1)
  • Spirit Walker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #2)
  • Outcast (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #4)
  • Oath Breaker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #5)
  • Ghost Hunter (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #6)

“Have you forgotten," she said in a furious whisper, "that he nearly killed us? That he threw my quiver in the stream, and threatened to snap my bow?"
It was unclear which she considered worse: threatening them or her bow.”
9 likes