Start by marking “Horror Hospital Unplugged: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Horror Hospital Unplugged: A Graphic Novel

Horror Hospital Unplugged: A Graphic Novel

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In Horror Hospital Unplugged, well-known cutting-edge author Dennis Cooper and notorious artist Keith Mayerson collaborate to bring us the dark but hilarious story of Trevor Machine: a twenty-something, gay-but-sexually-confused lead singer of an L.A. indy band on its way to fame and fortune.
Published June 1st 1996 by Juno Books (first published April 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Horror Hospital Unplugged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horror Hospital Unplugged

Tim
This is a graphic novel, which is a fancy term for a great big, expensive comic book with a more sturdy cover.

However, do not be deceived - it is nothing like a Batman comic (well, except perhaps in the homoeroticism) or even a Betty and Veronica issue (ditto, and add the same brilliant campiness too).

Dennis Cooper wrote the text, based on a short story of his which inspired the comic.

Keith Mayerson is the graphic artist behind this project - and such drawings they are!

This book is dizzying
Larry-bob Roberts
I wasn't initially drawn to Mayerson's "trippy" style, but it's only one of his styles upon styles, and when he draws a room full of celebs as dogs in the Viper Club and they actually are recognizable I was convinced. There a lot of wit here in the music industry satire in this story of a rock band with a young and doomed lead singer. Cooper's books are usually pretty dialog-heavy (even if it is mostly Ums and Uhs.) But the narrative voice here is replaced by Mayerson's drawings. Mayerson goes t ...more
Trinie
I just got this out again and I have to say I adore it every few years. It is so twisted and bizarre, really cerebral, morphine-ish, so hospital style. Disturbing psychologically and a pleasure to think of these two talents collaborating. Where are the great collabs of today?
Jamespc
A wonderful graphic novel about ambiguous and difficult to define sexuality, 20-somethings lost in music and drugs, media obsession and the ever-present audience. One of the best studies of lost youth and a doomed musician I've ever read. The main character, Trevor Machine, is presented as a newer, rawer Jim Morrison, a gay(ish) follow-up to Kurt Cobain. Real life celebrities parade through the book, including Tom Cruise, Courtney Love and Johnny Depp. The late River Phoenix also appears as a gu ...more
Lukas
I found this book by accident - didn't know about Dennis Cooper yet...and it totally blew me away. The drawing style was hard to get into at first, but when I started to get drawn in it was like falling in the rabbit hole. One day I found an extra copy in some junk pile and saved it - later I was able to pass it along to someone else who really likes comics and who hadn't read this.
Stacy Fetters
Horror Hospital is an LA punk band leaded by Trevor. Hes gay but not really. Totally sexually confused. Hes in love but cant say it. Love is a lie.
His band just so happens to talk Courtney Love to sing on a song they were recording. Geffen records are intrigued. In more ways than one.
Sex, gay sex and craziness, it all happens here.
River Phoenix visits Trevor in a dream/bad trip. Tells him in days, he will end up like him. Overdosin and dead.

Cooper is a disturbing genius. Knows exactly how to d
Dan
Heartbreaking and beautiful. The art was wonderfully grotesque.
Richard Chiem
one of my favorite graphic novels
Gord
Let me say first and foremost , the toilet/gore humor wasn't my cup of tea hence my poor grade. However I always strongly advise to check out the books yourself , maybe you'll laugh and enjoy it.

Also what played a factor in my poor grade was my disappointment because I felt let down based on the cover. The cover was haunting and intriguing with this unconscious kid in a pool of blood. I thought this might be a "Silent Hill" type of story but it's a dark twisted comedy.

Lydia Peever
A great choice for insomniacs. Getting lost in the details was fun, and the end was stellar - perfect - but as a whole... meh. I liked it, did not love it. I have a deep affinity for the time-frame and music and struggling bands as well as all the socioeconomic/sexual angles mixed into this so I guess I wanted something deeper. Worth collecting, that is for sure.
Robert Tomoguchi
I own it, because it has Dennis Cooper's name on it, but I could never get into it enough to read through it.

It may be that I'm just not a comic book kind of person.
Natty Soltesz
The art here was totally bananas. It was a fun book.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Benny
Benny marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Justin Nelson
Justin Nelson marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Meowchi-Rawr
Meowchi-Rawr marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Katie
Katie added it
Mar 18, 2015
Kristy Poston
Kristy Poston marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
hhhell
hhhell marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Cathy
Cathy added it
Jan 13, 2015
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Starlon
Starlon marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bread and Wine
  • J-Boy By Biblos
  • Special Exits
  • Poem Strip
  • Buddy Bradley, Vol. 1: Hey, Buddy!
  • Panorama of Hell
  • Jaybird
  • Lolita: The Story of a Cover Girl: Vladimir Nabokov's Novel in Art and Design
  • Today is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life
  • Bisexuality and the Eroticism of Everyday Life
  • Perfect Example
  • Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist
  • GoGo Monster
  • More Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #2)
  • Wilson
  • Our Everlasting, Volume 01
  • Ant Colony
  • Dead End
Dennis Cooper was born on January 10, 1953 and grew up in the Southern California cities of Covina and Arcadia. In 1976, he founded Little Caesar Magazine and Press, which he ran until 1982. In 1985, he moved to Amsterdam for two and a half years, where he began his ten year long project, The George Miles Cycle, an interconnected sequence of five novels that includes Closer, Frisk, Try, Guide, and ...more
More about Dennis Cooper...
Frisk The Sluts Closer Try God Jr.