Start by marking “Horror Hospital Unplugged: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Horror Hospital Unplugged: A Graphic Novel

Horror Hospital Unplugged: A Graphic Novel

In Horror Hospital Unplugged, well-known cutting-edge author Dennis Cooper and notorious artist Keith Mayerson collaborate to bring us the dark but hilarious story of Trevor Machine: a twenty-something, gay-but-sexually-confused lead singer of an L.A. indy band on its way to fame and fortune.
Published June 1st 1996 by Juno Books (first published April 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Horror Hospital Unplugged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horror Hospital Unplugged

Tim
Nov 25, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing
This is a graphic novel, which is a fancy term for a great big, expensive comic book with a more sturdy cover.

However, do not be deceived - it is nothing like a Batman comic (well, except perhaps in the homoeroticism) or even a Betty and Veronica issue (ditto, and add the same brilliant campiness too).

Dennis Cooper wrote the text, based on a short story of his which inspired the comic.

Keith Mayerson is the graphic artist behind this project - and such drawings they are!

This book is dizzying
Larry-bob Roberts
I wasn't initially drawn to Mayerson's "trippy" style, but it's only one of his styles upon styles, and when he draws a room full of celebs as dogs in the Viper Club and they actually are recognizable I was convinced. There a lot of wit here in the music industry satire in this story of a rock band with a young and doomed lead singer. Cooper's books are usually pretty dialog-heavy (even if it is mostly Ums and Uhs.) But the narrative voice here is replaced by Mayerson's drawings. Mayerson goes t ...more
Trinie
Nov 15, 2008 Trinie rated it it was amazing
I just got this out again and I have to say I adore it every few years. It is so twisted and bizarre, really cerebral, morphine-ish, so hospital style. Disturbing psychologically and a pleasure to think of these two talents collaborating. Where are the great collabs of today?
Jamespc
Aug 11, 2011 Jamespc rated it it was amazing
A wonderful graphic novel about ambiguous and difficult to define sexuality, 20-somethings lost in music and drugs, media obsession and the ever-present audience. One of the best studies of lost youth and a doomed musician I've ever read. The main character, Trevor Machine, is presented as a newer, rawer Jim Morrison, a gay(ish) follow-up to Kurt Cobain. Real life celebrities parade through the book, including Tom Cruise, Courtney Love and Johnny Depp. The late River Phoenix also appears as a gu ...more
Kim
Mar 22, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, art, english
one of greatest graphic novels of 20th century! on body, sex, desire, anxiety, campiness, sexuality, violence, celebrities, drawing, references, comics, youth, and punk.
Dash Shaw's writing on the book is good: https://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&...
Lukas
Apr 13, 2008 Lukas rated it it was amazing
I found this book by accident - didn't know about Dennis Cooper yet...and it totally blew me away. The drawing style was hard to get into at first, but when I started to get drawn in it was like falling in the rabbit hole. One day I found an extra copy in some junk pile and saved it - later I was able to pass it along to someone else who really likes comics and who hadn't read this.
Dan
Nov 28, 2011 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking and beautiful. The art was wonderfully grotesque.

If you liked this, make sure to follow me on Goodreads for more reviews!
Richard Chiem
Jul 28, 2011 Richard Chiem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my favorite graphic novels
Stacy Fetters
Feb 11, 2015 Stacy Fetters rated it really liked it
Horror Hospital is an LA punk band leaded by Trevor. Hes gay but not really. Totally sexually confused. Hes in love but cant say it. Love is a lie.
His band just so happens to talk Courtney Love to sing on a song they were recording. Geffen records are intrigued. In more ways than one.
Sex, gay sex and craziness, it all happens here.
River Phoenix visits Trevor in a dream/bad trip. Tells him in days, he will end up like him. Overdosin and dead.

Cooper is a disturbing genius. Knows exactly how to d
Gord
Jun 24, 2014 Gord rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me say first and foremost , the toilet/gore humor wasn't my cup of tea hence my poor grade. However I always strongly advise to check out the books yourself , maybe you'll laugh and enjoy it.

Also what played a factor in my poor grade was my disappointment because I felt let down based on the cover. The cover was haunting and intriguing with this unconscious kid in a pool of blood. I thought this might be a "Silent Hill" type of story but it's a dark twisted comedy.

Nathan
May 28, 2016 Nathan rated it it was amazing
This reread of a classical ReSearch illustrated novel was the perfect companion for my long Memorial Day holiday weekend of remembrance. It outlines the meteoric rise and fall of a wanna by indy band in Los Angeles cerca 1993. It is darkly comical with a pantheon of a cast you would consider important from the musical time capsule of those days. Brilliant, biting, and voraciously humorous. Check it out if it is your cup of tea.
Lydia Peever
A great choice for insomniacs. Getting lost in the details was fun, and the end was stellar - perfect - but as a whole... meh. I liked it, did not love it. I have a deep affinity for the time-frame and music and struggling bands as well as all the socioeconomic/sexual angles mixed into this so I guess I wanted something deeper. Worth collecting, that is for sure.
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2008
Rogerthecabinboy
Rogerthecabinboy rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2009
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Decayke
Decayke rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Jeff Jackson
Jeff Jackson rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Meatus Prince
Meatus Prince rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Phillip
Phillip rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2011
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2007
Ray
Ray rated it it was ok
Oct 17, 2007
Charlie
Charlie rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Todd Wallin
Todd Wallin rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2013
Scott Robins
Scott Robins rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2011
Richard Blankman
Richard Blankman rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2012
Paige
Paige rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2009
BrianB
BrianB rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2007
Logan McDowell
Logan McDowell rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Tim Sanders
Tim Sanders rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
  • J-Boy By Biblos
  • 7 Miles a Second
  • Perfect Example
  • Panorama of Hell
  • Wuvable Oaf (Wuvable Oaf, Volume: 1)
  • Lolita: The Story of a Cover Girl: Vladimir Nabokov's Novel in Art and Design
  • Ant Colony
  • Gay Life & Culture: A World History
  • Binky Brown Meets the Holy Virgin Mary
  • Prison Pit, Vol. 2
Dennis Cooper was born on January 10, 1953 and grew up in the Southern California cities of Covina and Arcadia. In 1976, he founded Little Caesar Magazine and Press, which he ran until 1982. In 1985, he moved to Amsterdam for two and a half years, where he began his ten year long project, The George Miles Cycle, an interconnected sequence of five novels that includes Closer, Frisk, Try, Guide, and ...more
More about Dennis Cooper...