Start by marking “Party at the World’s End” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Party at the World’s End

Take a mad ride past the event horizon of sanity with Lilith and her band of fallen Gods, in the final days of the American Empire.
After the fiasco at Rushmore, they knew there would be more bodies. But they joined the cause anyway. They stood up to the US Government and said “you’ve got to kill me in the sunlight.” But Lilith said, “Do it under cover of moonlight.” She
Paperback, 3rd Edition, 240 pages
Published April 1st 2016 by Mythos Media (first published July 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Party at the World’s End, please sign up.

James Curcio I'm sorry, I didn't see this until now.

I'm sorry, I didn't see this until now.

So, we've jostled around format a bit and what was going to be 4 graphic novels is going to be one illustrated novel, somewhere in the 400 page range. And full color. So production is going to take us a while, each illustration has the detail and work of an oil painting. I'm shooting for a 2018 release.

You can see more at the site, www.FallenCycle.com(less)

Irene Roth
Oct 01, 2014 Irene Roth rated it really liked it
Book One of the Fallen Cycle
By: James Curcio

This is a unique novel which will keep you at the edge of your seat as you are reading it. The novel has a lot of plot twists and it is raunchy in places. It is also evocative in nature. So, it is definitely adult reading. But once you get into the book, you won’t want to put it down until you finish reading it.

James Curcio is a master storyteller. He takes the reader into deep mythological lore and applies it to today’s soci
xJane
Sep 04, 2011 xJane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The tagline says it best, "SEX. DRUGS. REVOLUTION. CROSSBOWS.", all things I'd've done well to have kept in mind throughout.

It was hard for me to start, for some reason—perhaps, it was too good of a description of what happens in mental institutions. I wouldn't know, but it was uncomfortably…uncomfortable. Grime and sweat and blood and mental instability are not things I generally seek out—and perhaps my reaction to it is more telling than I'd like it to be.

There's a lot of drugs in this book. B
Ellen Gail
Abandoned ship at 20%

Have I mentioned that I hate leaving things unfinished? Even if I don't love a book, I will try to see it through to the end. (The exception being quite a few things that I had to read in college. In an ideal world, I would have finished 80% of my assigned reading, cause I'm a big nerd.)

This...I admit defeat. Book, you win. You have defeated me. Party at the World's End was supposed to be "Brutal, darkly funny, and, above all, honest." - Powell's Books 'Short List.' That was
Shelly Wygant
Jan 02, 2015 Shelly Wygant rated it really liked it
This Book Was Given To Me By The Author In Exchange For An Honest Review.

Take a mad ride past the event horizon of sanity with the band Babylon, in the final days of the American Empire. First in the occult punk, myth and fairy-tale laced transmedia series, the Fallen Cycle. Get on the roller coaster, strap yourself in and prepare for a wild ride. I felt like I stepped into a adult comic book while reading this book.

James Curcio did a great job of interweaving the chapters to take you deep into
Djaz
Aug 05, 2011 Djaz rated it really liked it
This is a reboot of the original novel, Fallen Nation: Babylon Burning. Extensively revised and reimagined, this book offers tighter writing, absurdity and the inevitability of change in one small dystopian package.
Melinda
Jun 02, 2016 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply Incisive Satire on the State of America - FIVE GLOWING STARS

This e-ticket ride, so strap in tight, get a snack and a bottle of your favorite beverage. You will be here until you finish this satirical, surreal, sexy, subversive novel. Reality is simply squishy. Identity rises from dreams, contact with enlightened entities, visions, sense memories and similar. Action is unpredictable. Whether two fallen gods boost a car, big pharma causes kids to become suicide bombers, instantaneous orgies
Matt Kelland
Dec 10, 2012 Matt Kelland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In these days of e-books, it makes a refreshing change - for me, at least - to find a book that really benefits from the medium of print. This isn't a collection of short stories. It's not a nice sequential comic book. It's a lovingly produced piece of art using the medium of the book, designed to make use of lush double page spreads and simultaneously assault and seduce the reader (viewer?) with the combination of words and images.

The range of styles is what makes Words of Traitors so intriguin
Erik
Apr 02, 2016 Erik rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I have to admit, I was lost throughout most of this book, probably because I had to keep putting it down to do other stuff. Time jumps around, characters get mixed up, schemes are laid out with the fuzziest of details, etc. This book is heavy on texture and is extremely surreal, so if you need your hand held as you march through a story, you will probably not dig this one.

I actually loved the texture. It reminded me a lot of alt comics. And the story...did you read House of Leaves? If so, you k
Carrie Clevenger
Aug 05, 2011 Carrie Clevenger rated it really liked it
Wow is my one word for this stunning novel. I give it four stars mainly because it's a little rough, typos and just a few rough edges to make it not perfect, but what book is really perfect, right?

Let's get to the good stuff. James Curcio is an outstanding author. This book is a modern-day crusade against, well you fill in the blank. Comparable to masterpieces dealing with matters of the mind as Pink Floyd's The Wall, Curcio's book hops heads effortlessly, taking the reader into deeper waters, w
Kirsten
Jul 21, 2008 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poppy Z Brite fans, Neil Gaiman fans.
Recommended to Kirsten by: Rowan Tepper
The writing style reminds me a bit of a gorier version of Neil Gaiman...with guns and transvestites.
Overall I liked the theme and story line. You can tell James was a philosophy major. (Name dropper!)
My only complaint is that some of the over top hedonism was a bit eye roll worthy.
Annette
Jul 08, 2014 Annette rated it really liked it
Really evocative. Seemed a little rough and hard to follow, but very enjoyable read.

Dystopian literature usually falls short for me, because the authors often don't do a good enough job making a world believable without falling back on reality. This book doesn't use reality. James Curcio deftly weaves a world different from the current one and has his characters desperately claw through it.

Drugs, sex, it's all there.

I haven't read any of this author before. He's good, very good. I'll recommend m
Djaz
Feb 10, 2013 Djaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark, emotional, and gutwrenching, Words of Traitors will suck you in and spit you back out, a little sadder but also a little wiser. The artwork and stories fuse together to paint a vivid landscape of heartbreak, where hope is hard to come by... but you keep reading because there is still beauty and humor in the midst of the pain.

I had the privilege of editing these stories, and it is wonderful to see this book in print!
Dolly
Jun 03, 2016 Dolly rated it it was ok
I won this on GoodReads.
I found “Party at the World’s End” very descriptive with unusual and distinct characters, but it took several chapters to realize that it wasn’t short stories. I got the feeling that James Curcio was going for something metaphysical or paradigm shifting. It reads like someone trying to describe their dreams of after taking multiple strong hallucinogens. Given these facts, I’m sure it will develop a cult following.
Katie
Received free copy in a Goodreads Giveaway, reading soon.
(Beautiful cover artwork, it looks great in person. I can't wait to see what's inside!)
Mario
Mario rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Brian Shaughnessy
Brian Shaughnessy rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
James Curcio
Jul 31, 2011 James Curcio rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2011
Serena
Serena rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Nikolai
Nikolai rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2011
Kate Sherrod
Kate Sherrod rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Zachary
Zachary rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2010
Edwardo
Edwardo rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2008
James Curcio
Mar 03, 2013 James Curcio rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Caroline
Jan 30, 2017 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Party at the World’s End is a lot of fun. It is beautifully chaotic, with events told out of order from the points of view of several different characters; sometimes in third person and sometimes first. Sometimes in recollections, in philosophical musings, in diary entries, and sometimes in dreams or hallucinations. Now I'm sure that sounds hard to follow, but it actually works so well with the subject matter and at no point did I find myself confused. After attempting to read Ulysses this was a ...more
Don Corcoran
Don Corcoran rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Adam Gilreath
Adam Gilreath rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2011
Jesse
Jesse rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
  • From Dark Places
  • The Curse of Senmut (Ardis Cole, #1)
  • The Gearheart
  • The Odd Clauses: Understanding the Constitution Through Ten of Its Most Curious Provisions
  • Saved By the Music
  • Black Cow
  • 13 Phantasms and Other Stories
  • How Does a Single Blade of Grass Thank the Sun?
  • Slices
  • Tales from Brookgreen: Folklore, Ghost Stories, and Gullah Folktales in the South Carolina Lowcountry
  • Before & After
  • The Dream
  • Printcrime (Overclocked #1)
  • Katy's Decision (Katy Lambright Series, #4)
  • The Taste
  • The Oera Linda Book
  • The Vector
  • Revelations
James Curcio’s career as polymath or dilettante (depending who you ask) began around 2001 when he graduated Bard college with the world’s most lucrative degree (Philosophy), and co-founded a media collective. Partially inspired by The Factory, Evolving Media Network cranked out UX by day for clients ranging from local business to Glaxo Smith Kline and Roche, and avant-garde art weirdness by night. ...more
More about James Curcio...

“We fell in love with that little peep-show projection on the inside of an iris, pictures that amount to nothing more than the thirsty moon over a spot of bloody ground. Those weren’t the nothings we restless sleepwalkers knew, no place no home no song. So we heard her and we followed until she went where we couldn't follow.

She went down beyond the mountains and disappeared between the crease of sky and land, like a great eyelid folding shut. No one knows what happened out in the Black Hills, but I imagine she lies buried in a rusty coffin under the stars. And on nights when the desert crickets sing her tune, they say one day she will rise again. On that day, there is no telling the kind of vengeance she'll demand of us. Fair is fair.

They say when she fell from Heaven she wore a crown of jagged stars that slit the skies throat. They say she loved them all, in the secret corners of their shallow sleep. Strangers, at the last. They say a lot of things. They’re all lies. Everything is already written.”
1 likes
“She rubbed the skin off your headstone of a sternum and painted a sad picture of herself in your eyes. We fell in love with that little peep-show projection on the inside of an iris, pictures that amount to nothing more than the thirsty moon over a spot of bloody ground. Those weren’t the nothings we restless sleepwalkers knew, no place no home no song. So we heard her and we followed until she went where we couldn't follow.

1 likes