The Last of the Sky Pirates (Edge Chronicles, #5)

The Last of the Sky Pirates (The Edge Chronicles #5)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  3,108 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Apprentice knight-academic Rook sets out on a perilous journey through the Deepwoods. Fifty years after the floating city of Sanctaphrax was swept away, the Edgeworld suffers from cruel bird-women shrykes who control the great Mire Road and slave labor. Rook meets a stranger among the banderbears and joins a band of fighters who challenge the dark Guardians of the Night.
Library Binding, 384 pages
Published June 28th 2005 by David Fickling (first published November 26th 2002)

Beyond the Deepwoods by Paul StewartStormchaser by Paul StewartThe Last of the Sky Pirates by Paul StewartClash of the Sky Galleons by Paul StewartThe Curse of the Gloamglozer by Paul Stewart
Best Fantasy/Adventure Books
3rd out of 25 books — 6 voters
The Shadows by Jacqueline WestMagyk by Angie SageSpellbound by Jacqueline WestThe Hound of Rowan by Henry H. NeffJack Blank and the Imagine Nation by Matt Myklusch
More Potential Fantasy Classics
25th out of 68 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

An Odd1
"The Last of the Sky Pirates" (Edge Chronicles #5) is Twig, who flew beyond the sickness that ate all the great stone ships, then was grounded when the last uncontaminated crew died from bad water. Library mislabeled this as #1 when #5, explains my confusion.
Paul Stewart writes, and Chris Riddell draws, a fantastical world. Names are redundant, reminiscent, or whimsical: leadwood, ironwood; woodbee, woodmoth, woodpear, woodmidge, woodcat, woodfowl, woodhog, woodwolf, woodtroll; lullabee wood; pi...more
Charlyn  Trussell
Nov 21, 2009 Charlyn Trussell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gr. 4 and up
When Rook is chosen to be one of three apprentice librarians to complete their education in the Deepwoods and complete their treatises, he seems to have neither the pedigree or the background for the appointment. But, as he and Magda and Stob journey to reach the Deepwoods, the skill and talent that others saw in Rook emerges. The trip to get to their study base, Lake Landing in the Free Glades, was a trial. Once there they must enter training to become librarian knights and design and complete...more
Jaemi
It was definitely nice to go back and catch up on the background for Vox. In Last of the Sky Pirates we first get introduced to Rook Barkwater, who much like Twig, was orphaned and raised by a surrogate family, and felt destined for a life he was sure he would never reach. But that didn't stop him from sneaking off to read as many bark scrolls as he could, to learn as much as possible about the world that had been.

Captain Twig is now a legend--sailed off one day never to return. The sky rocks ar...more
Adam Bourke
I've been a little busy this weekend, so rather than rush through a book and not give it a fair chance I decided to write a review of a book I'd already read. This is one that I particularly like, so I thought I'd share it. It's not the first in the Edge Chronicles, but is the first of the books following Rook Barkwater, and the first one I read.

One of the main reasons that I like it so much is the complexity of the world it's set in - particularly with the breadth of life forms. Many fantasy bo...more
Al

"You have a long and difficult journey ahead of you. Travel in secret and trust no-one."
Rook Barkwater lives in the network of sewer chambers beneath Undertown, the bustling main city of the Edgeworld. H dreams of becoming a librarian knight -- one of those sent out explore the mysteries of their world. Somewhere out there lie the secrets of the past -- including the lost floating city of Sanctaphrax -- and, maybe, hope for a future free from the fear of tyranny.
When his chance comes, Rook grabs

Nat Howler

This is the first book of the Rook trilogy, which in my opinion, is the best of the three trilogies.

First a bit of background.
The great floating rock called Sanctaphrax is long gone. It has, however, been replaced with another giant rock, and a new city has been built on top of it, called New Sanctaphrax. However, the rock is infested with a 'stone sickness', which causes it to slowly crumble, and prevents it from floating. Thus it is slowly sinking toward the earth. Not only that, but the sick...more
Zak Benson
This book has a male main character.

This is the first of the third series in The Edge Chronicles. Rook Barkwater, the under-librarian of the Librarian Academics is chosen to become a Librarian Knight and to undertake the dangerous journey to The Deep Woods and write a treatise about the wild life of The Deep Woods. But the journey is harsh as the evil Guardians of the Knight are trying to stop them from uncovering the secrets of The Deep Woods.

I have previously read some of the Quint Trilogies a...more
Amanda
Another great Edge Chronicles book--and I was very happy that this one had an introduction which explained what was going on before the story actually started.

In The Last of the Sky Pirates, 50 years have passed since The Great Storm replenished Riverrise and Santiphranx was cut loose from its anchor chain. Orphaned at a young age, Rook was raised by the librarians and earth studiers who have taken refuge in the sewers of Undertown. He sets out on a journey to learn how to survive in the Edgewoo...more
Kell
*REVIEWED FOR PUBLISHER*

Years have passed since we last visited The Edge and it is a far different place now – stone sickness has stopped virtually all flight and the once-great Sanctaphrax is no longer home to scholars and knights. In these dangerous times, the Librarian Knights live hidden lives in the sewers below Undertown and their young librarians must face a hazourdous trek across the Mire, through the bewitching Twighlight Woods and into the heart of the Deepwoods to reach the Free Glade...more
Olivia
A gorgeous ending for both Twig and Rook... As well as Cowlquape, as I imagine he would love to read the treatises and knowledge collected. I loved how both Twig and Cowlquape didn't change despite their age. Although Twig's story is heart-wrenching, it is nice to know about his past and what happened in between the third and fifth books. I find it interesting how little about this world the characters know about, which is somewhat discouraging/disappointing. I love how this book elaborated on t...more
Philippe Lhoste
Les auteurs commencent ici un nouveau cycle, avec un nouveau héros, des années après le premier cycle. Mais on retrouvera le premier héros...

L'univers est toujours aussi riche, et les auteurs l'ont renouvelé en changeant la donne : les pierres faisant voler les vaisseaux ne fonctionnent plus, ceux qui permettent le commerce sont les nouveaux maîtres.
Les bibliothécaires se cachent et préservent le savoir, formant des jeunes pour courir le monde et l'étudier. Un de ces étudiants, Rémiz, est le nou...more
Amro Halwah
Amro Halwah 3/27/13
Advisory Ms. Hannah
The Last Of The Sky Pirates by Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell is an Edge Chronicle series. This is a fiction book about pirates. Rook had been chosen to be a librarian knight. Rook,Magda,and Stob are librarians knights, they set out on a journey through the Deepwoods, Rook wanted to study about banderbears. In his journey he learned their language, and made friends with them. I like that this book is adventurous.

I would recommend this book to teenagers who...more
Duane
This book in the Edge series was a great surprise for me. The last couple of books had kind of dropped in quality, but this book took a huge leap back to my faith in Paul Stewart. We got to meet Rook, the new hero in the Edge world, and get to see some old friends from previous Edge books. I love this series and this book brings the varied characters and creatures of the Edge to life. Anyone who isn't sure if they really enjoy the world of reading, this series should be put in their hands before...more
April
Love these! Time to take a break from the "serious fiction" and romp around The Edge for a bit! See ya when I get back!

This edition on The Edge did not disappoint. Rook is entirely lovable and I join him in his fascination with banderbears. It was lovely to see Twig again, although imagining him old was very, very hard! I look forward to Rook's next adventure! Five out of five again... I really do love all the pen art nestled within these pages!
Emily
best of the series, in my opinion! very moving, even if the main character is bit flat. I can't give anything away, but some key characters from the last cycle are revisited, and some will surprise you to no end! also, we meet the best character from the Edge Chronicles yet: Xanth Filatine, the angsty anti-hero with a secret (or two, or five...). if you're only going to read one book from the Edge Chronicles, this is the one to read!
Arito Sato
日本語版
崖の国物語〈5〉最後の空賊
Erin
I love this series. I felt a bit lost starting this book, but it soon all made sense. I am amazed at Stewart's ability to create such differing types of creatures and characters, and his whole political system and city structure always astound me.

And of course, any book with banderbears is wonderful, they are my favorite creatures. And I was also happy to find out what happened to Twig!
Bar
Getting to read about Twig in this book was amazing. I read the Twig trilogy when I was really young, and now I found a closure. This book starts a bit slow, and it takes time for the plot to build up, but the ending is beautiful. It made me cry, because in a sense, it was like saying a final goodbye to a very dear friend, one that you thought you'd never get to see again.
Peter
I love how, within each story, the backgrounds to the other stories are expanded upon. For example, we get to learn a lot about the continuation of Twig's story (which is awesome). We also learn more about Quint and that lot. Overall, I think that Rook's story is the least intriguing of his, Twig's, and Quint's, but the addition of Twig's story really boosted this one.
Robin
Book five takes us into the future, again with an almost entirely new cast of characters. And the old world we knew has changed quite a bit. Stewart seems to have a gift for reinventing his fantasy world again and again, while keeping just enough familiarity to preserve the over all continuity of the series. Such a good writer and such a wonderful series!
Connor
So glad I got to take another journey to the Edge. This whole series has just been consistently phenomenal, and I cannot wait to get my hands on the sixth book (7th chronologically). If you enjoy middle-grade/ children adventure stories, you should give this series a go.
Sam
2.0 Stars

Blegh, why these books get so much hype is beyond me. Very, very imaginative, but just not that great. Well done to the author for having created such a complex world, but that's as far as it gets.
Janice
Aug 13, 2008 Janice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adventure seekers
Absolutely wonderful book!Wonderful plot and setting!number1 book of all time.So much imagination put into those books! It makes me keep on turning the pages!Please read it you will not regret it!
Molly's Sister
I actually didn't finsih this book or the rest of the series because I got tired of the books switching to random characters that you had never heard of. They are well written though.
Mallory
Rook isn't as cool a character as Twig or Quint, but as always, I had a good time reading the inspiring story and the admiring the incredible drawings. I LOVE monster drawings.
Jessica
Well, it's book 5 of the chronicles and it's pretty great. The illistartions are the same which isn't great but I like the character Rook in this book. :)
Stephanie Allen
Not the most exciting story until the end. It's nice to have a conclusion to Twig's story as well as getting introduced to a new lead character.
Kieran Neylon
Thoroughly enjoyed this - it has got me well and truly into the edge chronicles - so I've plenty of reading ahead of me now ...
Amber Kantor
The 'Rook' series within "The Edge Chronicles" definitely stands out from the rest as some of Paul Stewart's better writing.
Gwynn
Such a great book! You would think that the other 4 books would be difficult to follow up on but book 5 does not dissapoint!!
  • The End of Time (The Books of Umber, #3)
  • Krystalhjertet (Historien om Mira, #3)
  • Merlin (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #3)
  • The Secret of Ashona (Erec Rex, #5)
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • The Rise of the Black Wolf (Grey Griffins, #2)
  • The Tiger's Egg (The Wednesday Tales, #2)
  • The Dragon Diary: Dragonology Chronicles Volume 2
  • Doomraga's Revenge (Merlin's Dragon trilogy, #2)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • Infernal Devices (The Hungry City Chronicles, #3)
  • Troll Blood (Troll, #3)
Paul Stewart is a writer of children's books, best known for the bestselling The Edge Chronicles, the Free Lance novels and the Far Flung Adventures series among others. Many of his books are illustrated by Chris Riddell. Paul Stewart lives in the Seaside town Brighton with his wife and children.
-----------------------------------
From Wikipedia: Paul Stewart (writer). (2008, September 18). In Wiki...more
More about Paul Stewart...
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, #1) Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2) The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles, #4) Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3) The Winter Knights (Edge Chronicles, #8)