Vox (Edge Chronicles, #6)

Vox (The Edge Chronicles #6)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  2,220 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Vox is an obese usurper, drugged to oblivion in the falling Palace of Statues by Hestera, who buys slave Rook Barkwater, trapped when his skyship was shot down by Vox's fireball invention over Screetown. Rock demons, Mother Muleclaw's shryke vultures, General Tytugg's goblin battalion, and the great dark maelstorm will all arrive at midnight - or sooner?
Published September 27th 2005 by David Fickling (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Vox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vox

Beyond the Deepwoods by Paul StewartStormchaser by Paul StewartThe Last of the Sky Pirates by Paul StewartClash of the Sky Galleons by Paul StewartThe Curse of the Gloamglozer by Paul Stewart
Best Fantasy/Adventure Books
8th out of 25 books — 6 voters
The Captal's Tower by Melanie RawnThe Last Hero by Terry PratchettThe Kane Chronicles Survival Guide by Rick RiordanMort by Terry PratchettThe Discworld Graphic Novels by Terry Pratchett
Books I Need to Complete a Series
96th out of 171 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Star Shining Forever
This one picks up right where The Last of the Sky Pirates left off. Rook and Magda are Librarian Knights sailing the sky in small sky-crafts designed like animals, studying abroad and then returning to make reports to the Most High Academe, Cowlquape, and the rest of the librarians hiding in the sewers. Xanth has returned to the ranks of the Guardians of the Night as a ruthless interrogator, though he remains conflicted over his previous experiences and friendships formed alongside the Librarian...more
Jaemi
If you recall back when I started reading this series, Book 4 suddenly left the timeline, and went back in time to the history of the previous main character's father, leaving me feeling lost, though eventually I caught on to what had happened. Picking up Vox gave me much the same feeling, only I was even more sure I had missed something, and was wondering why they had suddenly begun to write such a disjointed series. Then I checked my own backlog and realized this time it was me--I never rememb...more
An Odd1
"Vox" (The Edge Chronicles, Rook Trilogy 2) is the main enemy, a bloated obese usurper drugged to oblivion in the falling Palace of Statues by poison mistress Hestera, who buys slave #11 librarian knight Rook, trapped when his skyship was shot down by Vox's fireball over Screetown. I was glad the brave lad found Felix again, his best friend from school (The Last of the Skypirates, #5) now leader of the "Ghosts" guerilla band; I was disappointed an important figure in his life had vanished withou...more
Havanah Chadders
As a child there was one series of books, above all others, that caught my imagination: The Edge Chronicles. I used to prance around my garden pretending to be a sky pirate and you can’t imagine the excitement when I first went on a boat, the closest thing to a sky pirate ship that I could access. Okay, in my defense I was about six at the time, not that I’m saying I have grown out of the feeling!

However, there was one of the trilogies that I couldn’t get into… Rook’s. I guess the lack of proper...more
Matt
The edge chronicles book six Vox

In this book life continues on the edge. Rook is now a librarian knight! But when he gets captured while trying to get to the great storm chamber library he’s sold as a slave to Vox Verlix and has his mind swept and had all of his memories cast away. Or so they thought! Out of nowhere his memories came back to him. But he still had to act like a mindless slave. Until at night on his fourth day he broke into Vox’s chamber and saved his life from an assassin while...more
Nat Howler
Vox Verlix, the supra-genius and one-time usurper of power in New Sanctaphrax, was himself thrown out of New Sanctaphrax. The Guardians of the Night, led by Orbix Xaxis, have seized control of the city atop the crumbling rock, along with the Tower of Night and Sanctaphrax Forest, which Vox worked so hard to design and build. His other magnum opus, the Great Mire Road, was seized by Mother Muleclaw, the queen of those hideous bird creatures called shrykes. Then the goblin general, Tytugg, takes c...more
Marcus
I enjoyed this book about as much as all of the prior books in the series, but it seemed as if there was no ending to the story. I suppose most of the plotlines were (at least somewhat) resolved, but nothing felt conclusive. Especially perplexing was the lack of details on what happened with the title character... I read the section dealing with his plotline twice, and was still somewhat confused, since it felt that there were large chunks of information simply missing from the story.
The other t...more
Zac Charnesky
The book Vox by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell, is about a boy named Rook Barkwater. He is an Under-Librarian/Librarian Knight of the great Storm Chamber Library in the sewers of Undertown. During the story, Rook was shot out of the sky by a massive fire ball and ended up becoming a slave of Vox Verlix (the very person who shot him down). While he was a slave he tried to foil Vox’s plan to destroy Undertown. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes adventure or fiction novels. The ending...more
Charlyn  Trussell
Feb 01, 2010 Charlyn Trussell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers of the series
The weather is oppressive; the mood, dark--again. In this tale from the Deepwoods, the reader is reunited with some familiar characters: Rook Barkwater, Felix, Magda and Xanth. And Vox Verlix, the weather expert, has wrested the power form Cowlquape Pentephraxis and placed himself in command--only to be double-crossed by those whom he used to gain power. Now, he is a virtual prisoner inthe Palace of Statues. The enmity between the Guardians and the librarian knights continues, but that is not th...more
Connor
3.5 stars. This series is great with all the cool pictures throughout the story and fast-paced nature. One problem I had with this book however was that there really wasn't any hero. Rook literally didn't do anything for himself, and only kept going out of extreme luck and the sacrifices of others. It just didn't sit as well as the other books in this series.
Duane
I've always enjoyed Paul Stewart's work, but I don't think this book is his best work. We're again in Rook's world as the Undertowners, Guarians of Knight, Shrykes, and Goblins find themselves meeting in a final climax for survival in Undertown and the Edge. It does have a few interesting characters, but I just couldn't fall the storyline as well as his past books. We do find the character Vox back in the storyline, but not in the demanding role I figured he would be in. If you've read the serie...more
Smilla Lindemann
This was my least favourite in the series, but it was still very good. Just not as catching as the others.
Galion Public Library Teens
A.J. liked "all of it" and recommends it for "anyone and everyone."
Mariam aka MiMi
I liked the original better, but this was okay.
Yao
Jun 02, 2010 Yao added it
Shelves: advisory-2009-10
I really liked this book because I also read the Twig saga where twig was the main character and letting Rook the main character in this book meet him was really cool. Plus the edge chronicles are all connected because Quint the main character in the book 4,8,9 of the edge chronicles is the father of Twig who's the main character in books 1,2,3 of the edge chronicles who is the grandfather of Rook who's the main character of books 5,6,7.
Arito Sato
日本語版
崖の国物語〈6〉ヴォックスの逆襲
Peter
These books are absolutely mind-blowing. I am constantly surprised by the richness and depth I am finding in this so-called "children's book." This book can definitely be read by anybody, and you'll probably appreciate it more the older you are. It's hard to tell the difference between each book; each one is crafted with superb writing and illustrations that one can almost forget the story.
Olivia
I thought the ending with Vox was unnecessary and had no place in the context of the entire book. I enjoyed Xanth's part, and look forward to the part he'll play in the future. I felt it the entire scheme was somewhat far-fetched, and too tied up and perfect, especially when Rook went to convince the shryke sisters. Overall, it wasn't one of my favorite in the series.
Kell
*REVIEWED FOR PUBLISHER*

Scurrilous schemes abound in the second book in the Rook Trilogy, as Vox Verlix, Most High Academe, hatching a cunning plan that could destroy New Sanctaphrax and Undertown, and it’s up to Rook and the Librarian Knights to foil his evil plans… if they can. This is a striking sequel with an explosive plot that is guaranteed to entertain!
Spynonu
It may not be fair to review a book I didn't finish reading but I just couldn't get into this book. I was able to switch characters after the first few of the Edge series but then having the whole time line switched was just too much. I may try again at another time but it was just too disjointed for me to keep reading.
Philippe Lhoste
Rémiz est devenu chevalier et surveille Infraville et les alentours.
Il découvre, à son corps défendant, certains aspects sombres de cet endroit.
Vox, ancien dignitaire réduit à la réclusion, a imaginé un plan pour se débarrasser les forces antagonistes dominant la ville.
Robin
This one was a continuation of book 5. One part creepy, one part gruesome, one part adventurous, all parts entertaining. By the end of the book, the winds had changed again and I can sense something huge coming in book 7. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some more reading to do!
Cullen
I started a long time ago and stoppe dto read another book. I do like this series and found that the ending was very interesting and a real page turner. Who knew that some of the things would have happened? I am already into the next bok freeglader.
Erin
Oooh, the series just keeps getting better and better! I'm still in awe over the whole architecture of the different factions and their individual governments, and all the creatures, and just the entirety of the world he has created.
Dakota
I think the whole inter series is about opening a unchecked imagination and a way to just absorb a great mind's will to create and think of crazy far out worlds of imagination that weren't thought of before.
Amanda
Another wonderful Edge Chronicle book. Since I am reading the books so spread out, it's difficult for me to remember who everyone is sometimes, but id didn't take too long this time.
Emily
This book was the middle of the series so it picked up from the last book and ended on a cliff hanger. I knew I was going to read the next so I still loved it.
Stephanie Allen
Interesting to see the progression of characters and how sad some of their endings are. Don't really feel sorry for Vox though.
Mela
The story is a bit Two-Dimensional and the characters are not well developed.

I really liked the illustrations though.
Sdoconnor
Loved this book. Invoked real sense of adventure. Great battle scenes. The bloody parts really catch readers attention.
  • The Secret of Ashona (Erec Rex, #5)
  • Merlin (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #3)
  • Merlin's Dragon (Merlin's Dragon, #1)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • The Dragon Diary: Dragonology Chronicles Volume 2
  • Dark Quetzal (The Echorium Sequence, #3)
  • Back To The Divide (The Divide, #2)
  • The Islands of the Blessed (Sea of Trolls, #3)
  • The Dark Planet (Atherton, #3)
  • The Lightning Key (The Wednesday Tales, #3)
  • Tales Of Deltora
  • The Maelstrom (The Tapestry, #4)
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat
  • Pure Dead Frozen (Pure Dead #6)
  • Dragon Games (The Books of Umber, #2)
  • Alien on a Rampage
Paul Stewart is a writer of children's books, best known for the bestselling The Edge Chronicles, the Free Lance novels and the Far Flung Adventures series among others. Many of his books are illustrated by Chris Riddell. Paul Stewart lives in the Seaside town Brighton with his wife and children.
-----------------------------------
From Wikipedia: Paul Stewart (writer). (2008, September 18). In Wiki...more
More about Paul Stewart...
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, #1) Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2) The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles, #4) The Last of the Sky Pirates (Edge Chronicles, #5) Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)