Start by marking “The Secret Life of Walter Kitty” as Want to Read:
The Secret Life of Walter Kitty

The Secret Life of Walter Kitty

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  161 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Walter Kitty is no ordinary housecat. He's Fang—a swashbuckling protector of the high seas, a tiger waiting to pounce on unsuspecting prey, and a caped superhero ready to save the day. But do his "people," Mr. and Mrs. Biddle, acknowledge his greatness? Not even!So once in a good long while, Walter will answer to Wally or Kitten or even Snookums, but most of the time . . . ...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life of Walter Kitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life of Walter Kitty

May 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, favorites, cats
When did I become such a sucker for kitty books?

This one is really cute, great illustrations!
Kylee Shaffer
Dec 06, 2015 Kylee Shaffer rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Secret Life of Walter Kitty is about a cat whose life is quite the adventure. He is loved so much by his owner and hated by the neighbor. What his owner and the neighbor do not know is the secret adventures Walter Kitty goes on. He often dresses up like a super hero named “Fang” and goes on many other secret adventures. The illustrations in this book are done by Dan Santat. They really bring to life the story the author is trying to tell. Most of the pictures include dark colors such as blue ...more
Marlowe
Jul 18, 2015 Marlowe rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Walter the cat (or, as he’d rather be known, Fang) introduces the reader to his world. We meet his person, Mrs. Biddle, her husband, and Walter’s active imagination.

My son loves cats, so we always try to grab at least one picture book about cats on our weekly library visit. Unfortunately, so many of them portray the cats as jerks, which my son finds confusing and a little distressing. Walter Kitty is one of those. Walter/Fang is mean-spirited and, while he eventually admits that he loves the Bid
Erin
Aug 18, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever had a cat
Oh my goodness, the facial expressions on Walter's (a.k.a. "Fang's") face are hilarious! They really do speak volumes: life is rough when your Person and her husband misunderstand you...and get your name wrong. :D

Would be great to read with your kids (or adults!), but to fully appreciate the book, you have to be able to see the pictures, so I don't recommend it for a large storytime.
Rachel
Aug 14, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
The inner thoughts of Fang, aka Walter, are amusing. He helps his family, in ways only a cat could do, has adventures, in his dreams, but his humans misunderstand what he is doing. At the end of the day though, like many an other cat, he puts up with the many names, and annoyances, because they give him food, and love. The illustrator has captured all these emotions on paper.
RachelAnne
Apr 11, 2009 RachelAnne rated it really liked it
Ages 5-9 Walter’s real name is FANG, but his unimaginative owners call him “Wally,” “kitten” and “Walter.” The illustrations show Walter’s vivid inner-life, but readers will understand why, when catnip, food, or a good chin rub is offered, this cat admits “Okay, so once in a good long while, I answer to ‘Wally.’”
Joshua
Jul 17, 2015 Joshua rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Great playful art. I picked this off the shelf at the library for my 5 year old nephew because it said kitty in the title and he had a cat. He rejected it, but I kept it after I realized the title was a play on the short story "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". This story was nice enough, but didn't make as good a use of the imaginary world potential as it could have, especially given the fun pictures on the inside of the covers.
Talisa Timms
This book can be used to teach children to use their imaginations. It can also be used for character analysis. Walter portrays mixed emotions about his life. Students can use his feelings and thoughts to identify why Walter acts this way. This book is also a fun cat book for students who enjoy animals.
Bethany
Jul 18, 2007 Bethany rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrenslit
Although the story does not draw on Thurber's Secret Life of Walter Mitty, our Walter Kitty is just as involved in his dreams of heroic feats and larger-than-life action. His real life, with his Person and her tolerable husband, is that of a normal cat. Walter "helps" around the house, much to his owners' irritation, and he grudgingly admits that his life isn't always so bad.

The illustrations are excellent. The human beings, always secondary to Walter Kitty, blend into the background (as Walter
Diane
Jan 19, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
"My person doesn't know it, but my real name is Fang." So begins the story of this cat's inner life and how his owners just don't get it. He will, occasionally, answer to "Snookums" or "Baby" if there is food involved. Illustrations of this cat's imaginings are great fun and students will recognize their own cat's actions in Walter's.
Tiffany
Dec 29, 2007 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: families who love cats
Shelves: childrens-books
I ordered this book from Amazon.com because it had great reviews, but was disappointed in it when I first read it. Then I gave it to my 2 and 4 year old girls for Christmas, and they LOVED it - they giggled all the way through! It's about a kitty who hates to be called his given name, Walter, because his "actual name" is Fang, and all his antics. I think they can relate to him always getting into mischief. I only gave 4 stars because Fang/Walter gets called a Nincompoop, inspiring much hilarity ...more
MaryAnn
Dec 14, 2014 MaryAnn rated it it was amazing
Funny, funny story and wonderful illustrations.
Teresa
Mar 17, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
Cute.
Lrubin
Jan 27, 2014 Lrubin rated it it was amazing
How cute and funny! Great for young kids who have a cat!
Brayden Taylor
Oct 06, 2014 Brayden Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Walter mitty kitty

a funny book you'll love it it shows the cats perspective and personality and what is it's real name .
Katlyn Zimmerle
Sep 10, 2013 Katlyn Zimmerle rated it it was amazing
This book can help students recognize that reading can be enjoyable and fun. The Secret Life of Walter Kitty describes a cat whose owners don’t understand the true him, a superhero, pirate, and much more. However, students can relate this to their lives if they have pets and specifically cats. I think this book would be enjoyable for almost all ages of elementary school students.
Shelli
Oct 02, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Walter’s name is not Walter, its Fang. His less than intelligent human pets can’t seem to get his title straight though. Walter is not a name fitting for a fearsome swashbuckling adventurer rotund feline. He is also forced to endure being called Wally, Cat, Kitten, Nincompoop, Snookums, and Baby for his domestics pleasantries, pettings and occasional catnip.
Kellee
Nov 22, 2012 Kellee rated it really liked it
Your cat may not be what s/he seems. Hicks tells a story of Walter, a house cat who has a secret life... Well, kind of. Love reading the story from Walter's point of view and getting the extra insight you get from 1st person. To top it all off, Dan Santat's illustrations add a whole new level bringing Walter's secret to life.
Emily
Jul 17, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Yes that's right, it's a children's book version of Walter Mitty, with a cat. I'm sort of baffled by it (see also: children's picture book version of Animal Farm. Why is this a thing? Why?) but it is cute and it's funny and it'll feel very familiar to cat owners. Walter's name is really Fang, of course.

Anyway it's fun.
Erica
Jan 04, 2010 Erica rated it liked it
It wasn't all that I hoped, given the title, and I'm not sure if some of the language and ideas might be too advanced for young children, but overall a good read about having a rich fantasy life while still acknowledging the good parts of real life.

It would be a good choice for a story time for 5-year-olds+.
A Wanlass
Mar 06, 2008 A Wanlass rated it liked it
This is not the sort of book I would normally pick off the shelf but it reminded me of middle school english and I thought I'd get it to see how much of Walter Mitty was to be seen in the cat who calls himself Fang. It read less like a comic book than it appeared when I first glanced at it.
The Brothers
Mar 01, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, dreams, pets
A spin-off of "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", this book is about a normal housecat who falls asleep and dreams of an adventurous life. Invariably, he is awoken and thrust back into his mundane existence.

Cute illustrations.
Erin
Sep 26, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I'm a cat person and I like cat books and this is one of the bet ones I have read in a while. The illustrations are fantastic and lively and I love the use of calling the owners "my person." The various nicknames and the personality of the cat are very fleshed out. A fun book!
Rachel
Jan 10, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I thought this was a cute book. Everytime "Walter" (whose real name is Fang) has a dream about having an adventure his people think it's a nightmare. I especially liked the picture at the end when he is dressed as a little super hero.
Matthew
Sep 21, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
This is a very funny book. The delusions of one cat and the humans that put up with them. It reminds me of a Chester book by Melanie Watt to some extent.
Candace Perry
Aug 16, 2014 Candace Perry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, storytime
Hilarious and so true to life! I'm sure my cats have thought some of the things Walter thinks. The illustrations are wonderful as well.
Adrienne Furness
Aug 15, 2007 Adrienne Furness rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for cats, and this book reminded me very much of my cats, who seem to think that they are much tougher than they are.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Well, this was cute! A cat take-off on Thurber's "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". I could just see one of my cats thinking like this!
Tricia
May 04, 2008 Tricia rated it it was amazing
house cat dreams of being many things other than himself. anyone who owns a cat will understand the motives of walter.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Amazing Hamweenie
  • Brief Thief
  • It's All About Me-Ow
  • Fuddles
  • An Undone Fairy Tale
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • I'm My Own Dog
  • Dog vs. Cat
  • That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown
  • Posy
  • Mr Squirrel & the Moon
  • Never Take a Shark to the Dentist: (and Other Things Not to Do)
  • Who's Hiding?
Acclaimed children's book author BARBARA JEAN HICKS offers visiting author programs and workshops for aspiring writers of all ages. With a flair for the dramatic, Barbara engages, entertains, educates and inspires her audiences. She has taught at the preschool, middle school and community college levels and most recently worked in an elementary school as author-in-residence, program facilitator an ...more
More about Barbara Jean Hicks...