Start by marking “Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months: A Month-By-Month Guide to a Business That Works” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  12 reviews
"Melinda Emerson . . . will inspire you to pursue your own entrepreneurial vision.""--Marc H. Morial, President, National Urban LeagueWhether you're newly unemployed, sick of office life and longing for a change, or just want to finally turn your business idea into reality, you can follow your dream and make your passion your profession. Drawing on her experience as founde ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Adams Media

To ask other readers questions about Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months

Melinda Emerson
I wrote this book, for all those people who hate their job and want to start a business. There must be a profit center in your passion. This is not a book about writing a business plan, it's a book about starting a successful small business.

I hope people enjoy reading it. It was a labor of love
Leora Wenger
Melinda Emerson's book is definitely one of the better business books I have read. She goes over many of the tasks one must do as a small business person. As someone who has already started a business, there were marketing checklists that I should really complete for my own business strategics. Much of the book was geared more toward products, brick-and-mortar businesses and businesses with a small staff than freelancers or technical service businesses, but there is much to gleam from her knowle ...more
Kellie
REAL DEAL, Solid, FACTUAL information in a WORKABLE 12 month Plan! Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months A Month-By-Month Guide to a Business That Works by Melinda F. Emerson

Most books about starting a business are fluff and inspiration. Melinda Emerson provides SOUND, PRACTICAL, FACTUAL INFORMATION and a WORKABLE 12 month plan. This is THE BEST book I have EVER read on starting a business and recommend it to everyone. Melinda, THANK YOU for taking time to add value and share useful and solid information.
Joseph Moskie
The timeline presented in this book was really interesting, the stages of starting up a business were broken into things you should do month by month.

There were a lot of real examples from the author's life, and from the lives of other entrepreneurs she knows, and they were really helpful. Having a chapter begin or end with the story of a business who succeeded or failed because of things covered in the chapter gave everything more weight. Actual people had become rich or poor because of their d
Art
It took me forever to get a copy of this book from my library (I will be buying my own copy). There should be more available. Anyway, although I have already launch my business (out of need) I still found this book helpful. I wish I had my hands on it four years ago. Things probably would have went a little bit smoother for me. You live and your learned.

My favorite parts of the books were the real-life examples from Melinda. It works well with the format of the book. It's an easy read and stock
VaLinda Miller
This book was a great help in understanding what it takes to become your own boss. It offers some serious advice on money, what is involved in running a business and how much faith you have to have. Believe me, you need some serious faith to go out there. It can be done and if you want to be your own boss, make this book one of your top list. I also had a lot of fun reading it. If the government furlough didn't get you thinking, maybe you are not ready to take a faith of leap. Just leap, baby, j ...more
Joseph McBee
Although it was only written 3 years ago, this book feels like a relic from a bygone era. With so many new and different ways to launch businesses now, the majority of the information here is antiquated.

I am not trying to say that it is useless or that the author has no idea what she is talking about. She has started and helped to start more successful businesses than I have even thought about, and there are some truly useful things here. I just think an updated version would be the way to go.
Karen Jett
Sep 10, 2011 Karen Jett rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to start their own business
This book is a comprehensive overview of what it takes to start your own business. Not only is it thorough in the different areas that it takes to be prepared to run a successful business, it also includes many great tips, examples, and action steps. If you are contemplating becoming a first time entrepreneur, I recommend you read this book before you quit your job as it will boost your chances of success.
Gerda Gallop-goodman
This book is a must-have for anyone thinking about starting a business, and serves as a brushup for those already in business. Garnered from years of experience, Ms. Emerson has crafted a how-to guide that includes critical information along with sharp insights and details that only a seasoned entrepreneur would think to include. It is well organized and reader-friendly.
2tasks
This book is packed full of information to get you started and going. I do not agree with taking an entire year to get going but many of the idea solid and seemed like solid advice. There are many great references to highlight as well. I would suggest it to anyone looking into entrepreneurship.
JoAnn Jordan
This books lines out the steps to establish your own business. It is a great book to assist you in the process and to serve as a resource.
Gil Michelini
Nov 17, 2012 Gil Michelini rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone considering becoming your own boss
Shelves: business
GREAT insight and the steps necessary for starting a business BEFORE the first day your business is open.
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
David Medina
David Medina marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Tony
Tony is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2015
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Jun 07, 2015
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Eamonn
Eamonn marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
B
B marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Korye Nelson
Korye Nelson marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Grace BicheDuBois
Grace BicheDuBois marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
May 04, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Cyprian Kheswa
Cyprian Kheswa marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Dionisius
Dionisius marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months: A Month-by-Month Guide to a Business that Works Are You Ready to Become Your Own Boss?