Start by marking “Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months: A Month-by-Month Guide to a Business that Works” as Want to Read:

"Melinda Emerson...will inspire you to pursue your own entrepreneurial vision."
—Marc H. Morial, President, National Urban League

Whether you're newly unemployed, sick of office life and longing for a change, or just want to finally turn your business idea into reality, you can follow your dream and make your passion your profession. Drawing on her experience as founder of
Published February 18th 2010 by Adams Media (first published February 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months

Melinda Emerson
Feb 17, 2010 Melinda Emerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this book, for all those people who hate their job and want to start a business. There must be a profit center in your passion. This is not a book about writing a business plan, it's a book about starting a successful small business.

I hope people enjoy reading it. It was a labor of love
Leora Wenger
Aug 28, 2011 Leora Wenger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Melinda Emerson's book is definitely one of the better business books I have read. She goes over many of the tasks one must do as a small business person. As someone who has already started a business, there were marketing checklists that I should really complete for my own business strategics. Much of the book was geared more toward products, brick-and-mortar businesses and businesses with a small staff than freelancers or technical service businesses, but there is much to gleam from her knowle ...more
Joseph Moskie
Jan 15, 2013 Joseph Moskie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The timeline presented in this book was really interesting, the stages of starting up a business were broken into things you should do month by month.

There were a lot of real examples from the author's life, and from the lives of other entrepreneurs she knows, and they were really helpful. Having a chapter begin or end with the story of a business who succeeded or failed because of things covered in the chapter gave everything more weight. Actual people had become rich or poor because of their d
Art
Aug 31, 2011 Art rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me forever to get a copy of this book from my library (I will be buying my own copy). There should be more available. Anyway, although I have already launch my business (out of need) I still found this book helpful. I wish I had my hands on it four years ago. Things probably would have went a little bit smoother for me. You live and your learned.

My favorite parts of the books were the real-life examples from Melinda. It works well with the format of the book. It's an easy read and stock
Casey
So dissappointing Don't let the title or her cover fool you. If this is your first foray into self-business, you will probably be overwhelmed by "every little darn thing". If you have read a few other books, you will be bored. She tries to say it is a nice formula for what to do each month before starting you business, but it is just a selling point and I doubt it would work for anyone in real life.
If you are serious about perhaps starting your own business, I would highly recommemd,
HOW TO WRI
Kellie
Jul 04, 2014 Kellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REAL DEAL, Solid, FACTUAL information in a WORKABLE 12 month Plan! Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months A Month-By-Month Guide to a Business That Works by Melinda F. Emerson

Most books about starting a business are fluff and inspiration. Melinda Emerson provides SOUND, PRACTICAL, FACTUAL INFORMATION and a WORKABLE 12 month plan. This is THE BEST book I have EVER read on starting a business and recommend it to everyone. Melinda, THANK YOU for taking time to add value and share useful and solid information.
VaLinda Miller
Dec 29, 2013 VaLinda Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great help in understanding what it takes to become your own boss. It offers some serious advice on money, what is involved in running a business and how much faith you have to have. Believe me, you need some serious faith to go out there. It can be done and if you want to be your own boss, make this book one of your top list. I also had a lot of fun reading it. If the government furlough didn't get you thinking, maybe you are not ready to take a faith of leap. Just leap, baby, j ...more
Joseph McBee
Although it was only written 3 years ago, this book feels like a relic from a bygone era. With so many new and different ways to launch businesses now, the majority of the information here is antiquated.

I am not trying to say that it is useless or that the author has no idea what she is talking about. She has started and helped to start more successful businesses than I have even thought about, and there are some truly useful things here. I just think an updated version would be the way to go.
Karen Jett
Sep 10, 2011 Karen Jett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to start their own business
This book is a comprehensive overview of what it takes to start your own business. Not only is it thorough in the different areas that it takes to be prepared to run a successful business, it also includes many great tips, examples, and action steps. If you are contemplating becoming a first time entrepreneur, I recommend you read this book before you quit your job as it will boost your chances of success.
Gerda Gallop-goodman
This book is a must-have for anyone thinking about starting a business, and serves as a brushup for those already in business. Garnered from years of experience, Ms. Emerson has crafted a how-to guide that includes critical information along with sharp insights and details that only a seasoned entrepreneur would think to include. It is well organized and reader-friendly.
Valarie Denise
Apr 11, 2016 Valarie Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The hidden and revealing thoughts make this book a smooth, quick read. If you are serious about stepping out on your own, or re-stepping back into your destiny, this book will give you a great charge, direction and instructional path.
2tasks
Dec 03, 2013 2tasks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is packed full of information to get you started and going. I do not agree with taking an entire year to get going but many of the idea solid and seemed like solid advice. There are many great references to highlight as well. I would suggest it to anyone looking into entrepreneurship.
JoAnn Jordan
Feb 11, 2012 JoAnn Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books lines out the steps to establish your own business. It is a great book to assist you in the process and to serve as a resource.
Gil Michelini
Nov 17, 2012 Gil Michelini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone considering becoming your own boss
Shelves: business
GREAT insight and the steps necessary for starting a business BEFORE the first day your business is open.
Peggy Lawson
Peggy Lawson rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2016
100BusinessGirls
100BusinessGirls rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
Dreemweevrr
Dreemweevrr rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Subrina Anderson
Subrina Anderson rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Sisqo Deyounge
Sisqo Deyounge rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Igor Pascoal
Igor Pascoal rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Jee Lee
Jee Lee rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Wesley Wan
Wesley Wan rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Ruffy Zarookian
Ruffy Zarookian rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2016
Chemese Armstrong
Chemese Armstrong rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Jasmin M. Goodman
Jasmin M. Goodman rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Tonya Wright
Tonya Wright rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Joao
Joao rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Alexandre Noronha
Alexandre Noronha rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • One Simple Idea: Turn Your Dreams Into a Licensing Goldmine While Letting Others Do the Work
  • So, You Want to Start a Business?: 8 Steps to Take Before Making the Leap
  • Get Lucky: How to Put Planned Serendipity to Work For You and Your Business
  • App Empire: Make Money, Have a Life, and Let Technology Work for You
  • Shortcut: How Analogies Reveal Connections, Spark Innovation, and Sell Our Greatest Ideas
  • Understanding Other People
  • Shark Tank Jump Start Your Business: How to Launch and Grow a Business from Concept to Cash
  • Waltz into Darkness
  • The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur: The Tell-It-Like-It-Is Guide to Cleaning Up in Business, Even If You Are at the End of Your Roll
  • Time Warrior: How to defeat procrastination, people-pleasing, self-doubt, over-commitment, broken promises and Chaos
  • Think Like a Rock Star: How to Create Social Media and Marketing Strategies that Turn Customers into Fans
  • One Day University Presents: Positive Psychology: The Science of Happiness
  • Primal Connection: Follow Your Genetic Blueprint to Health & Happiness (Sustainable Agriculture)
  • Highly Recommended: Harnessing the Power of Word of Mouth and Social Media to Build Your Brand and Your Business
  • A Happy Pocket Full of Money: Infinite Wealth and Abundance in the Here and Now
  • Ben Franklin: America's Original Entrepreneur, Franklin's Autobiography Adapted for Modern Times
  • Never Get a “Real” Job: How to Dump Your Boss, Build a Business and Not Go Broke