Start by marking “Mutual Funds for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Mutual Funds for Dummies

Mutual Funds for Dummies

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Expanded coverage of ETFs, fund alternatives, and Internet research

Cash in on the latest wealth-building techniques with America's #1 best-selling mutual fund book

Want to make the most of mutual funds? Personal finance expert Eric Tyson shares his time-tested investing advice, as well as updates to his fund recommendations and revised coverage of tax law changes, in this

Published February 14th 2011 by For Dummies (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Mutual Funds for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mutual Funds for Dummies

David Roberts
Mar 17, 2014 David Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book I read to research this post was Mutual Funds For Dummies by Eric Tyson which is a very good book which I read at http://safaribooksonline.com. This book was published in 2010 so is a little dated especially because a lot of the book reviews different companies which obviously is only up to that time. Mutual Funds or Mutually Assisted Funds are a kind of fund where a lot of people invest in the same spread of what are similar to Exchange Traded Funds but the risk is spread over a wider ...more
Sandy
Dec 02, 2011 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book didn't make me feel dumb at all! But it is really helpful for big picture basics, and for (starting to) take my head outa the sand re my personal finances...
Travis McKinstry
Good book to learn what mutual funds are and how they are superior to even actively traded hedge fund accounts.
Rex
May 25, 2008 Rex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Again, Tyson is at his best. The book does an excellent job of teaching how and why to diversify, how to invest based on your goals and life position, and precisely where to put your money. This book saved us lots of money by allowing us to invest for ourselves and preventing high commission rates from the unnecessary middle man.
beyawolfmon
really informational has made me adjust my ideas on saving and investing for retirement and for investing in general especially in the short term mostly it really made me consider mutual funds as an option where before i thoug about investing in individual securities now i see mutual funds as part of my investing strategy
Roger
Jun 26, 2008 Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably a good read for someone who doesn't know anything about mutual funds. Touches on the key points including how to differentiate them, the basis on which to differentiate them (loads, managers etc) and how to balance out your portfolio with extra things like bonds.
Andrew S.
Feb 18, 2014 Andrew S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, investing
The bottom line of this solid informative book is that day trading and speculations won't do any good and actually can be a threat to your savings. The author has done a very good job explaining that stock trading may sound too good to be true and it usually is.
Sepsun Pasaribu
Mar 13, 2013 Sepsun Pasaribu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Good book if you are interested in mutual funds. Since I dont live in the U.S., the system probably a lot different but the basic explanation regarding the mutual funds (the kinds, benefits, tips on selecting the right funds, etc) is more than satisfactory.
Boyan Mihaylov
Nov 18, 2015 Boyan Mihaylov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good overview of mutual funds if you think this is something you want to invest in. I recommend to read this book after reading Investing for dummies by the same author (if you're beginner in this area)
Cindywho
Sep 03, 2007 Cindywho rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's exactly what it sounds like. I think I learned something, but whenever the tone of the book got irritatingly condescending, I just needed to look at the title for a reminder. (July 10, 2006)
Hilary
Jan 22, 2008 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am trying to get organized and figure out how to save money for retirement. I think this is a great book to help me understand how to manage my 401Ks at work.
Bobbi Taniguchi
Jan 13, 2012 Bobbi Taniguchi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've got to read about it, but the subject breaks you out in hives, this is the way to go.
Andrew Huff
Mar 29, 2008 Andrew Huff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best book I've ever found on mutual funds.
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Talia
Talia marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Tyler Harper
Tyler Harper marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Kaarin
Kaarin marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Feb 02, 2016
Kelly
Kelly is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2016
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Johanna Delgado
Johanna Delgado marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Eric Kersting
Eric Kersting rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Lwandile
Lwandile rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
William Whitt
William Whitt marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Heather Short
Heather Short rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Jim Lamb
Jim Lamb marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
  • Spanish for Dummies
  • Velocity: Combining Lean, Six Sigma and the Theory of Constraints to Achieve Breakthrough Performance - A Business Novel
  • Economics For Dummies
  • Golf for Dummies
  • Bogle On Mutual Funds: New Perspectives for the Intelligent Investor
  • Warren Buffet Partnership Letters 1957-1970
  • Accounting for Dummies
  • Stock Investing for Dummies
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Advertising Secrets of the Written Word: The Ultimate Resource on How to Write Powerful Advertising Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters and Mail Order Entrepreneurs
  • Making Sense of Wine
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success
  • Starting an Online Business for Dummies
  • Calculus for Dummies
  • Search Engine Optimization for Dummies
  • The Bond Book: Everything Investors Need to Know about Treasuries, Municipals, GNMAs, Corporates, Zeros, Bond Funds, Money Market Funds, and More
  • Mormonism for Dummies