The Traitors

The Traitors

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Adam has betrayed his best friend and now he must face the consequences. His punishment is 274 years in the Dial, a prison in a no-time world, where teenage traitors are forced to atone for their crime. It's a terrible place, ruled over by a cruel despot, where every day is a struggle for survival - and escape.
Published August 5th 2012 by Scholastic (first published April 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Traitors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traitors

Adelene Chiam
This book is one of the most awesome Scholastic books that I have ever set my eyes upon. And I would have given it five stars max were it not for some ludicrous concepts and a far-fetched, illogical ending.

Why I like the book:
1) The Dial. The whole setting is breath-taking. Well, the plan image for the prison helps a lot in stimulating the mind's eye, of course. But the ideas for the prison is well-invented, creative and it shows the dexterous capability of the author to illicit inspirational fr...more
Brogan_mace
(CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING)
The Traitors by Tom Becker is a refreshing and unique YA novel set in a prison aptly named The Dial (as it resembles a clock). The prison is designed to punish those who have betrayed someone and offenders usually serve sentences spanning well over hundreds of years – of course this is all in a place called 'no-time'.

The writing style employed by Becker is very unique and flows beautifully. He described things in just the right amount of detail, making it easy...more
Gary
Have you ever betrayed someone before? Stabbed a person who's close to you in the back? Did you get away with it? Did your guilty conscience prick you the least bit?

Adam here has betrayed his best friend Danny. And because of that, he was captured to the Dial, a no-time place through a warphole. Sentenced to imprisonment in the Dial for 274 years, Adam has all the time in the world to repent.

Seemed like he wasn't the only traitor on planet Earth. The Dial was full of traitors, both young and old...more
Melissa (Book Nerd Reviews)
Imagine being sentenced to jail for 274 years... but when you come out on the other side, you're still the same age and you only have a vague recollection of your experience inside The Dial, a prison in a notime world. That's exactly what happened to Adam. Some would say his crime may have been trivial, he betrayed his best friend in no worse a way than many teenagers do during their high school days.

Adam is tracked down by agents from The Dial, a place no one knows about on earth - if you are u...more
Larissa
Aug 29, 2012 Larissa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
The radio message could have been a fluke, even the letter could be taken for a joke, but a giant zeppelin on an abandoned beach can not be ignored. When a stupid mistake, a thoughtless act breaks apart a friendship, the traitor must be punished, and the only way for a traitor to learn their lesson is imprisonment on the Dial.

No one on the Dial is innocent, all have betrayed someone, been a traitor to someone, and all are paying for their actions. Life on the Dial is slow, existing outside of ti...more
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
An Act is Committed
When I first started reading Traitors by Tom Becker, I had no idea what to expect and I had no idea if this was going to be a book that I would enjoy or one that would fall short. Fortunately, I found myself truly enjoying it. This book holds a unique plot that kept me interested and captivated. If you knew that your betrayal could land you punished for a hundred years, you would probably think twice before you ever betrayed again. This book is full of powerful messages, such...more
Majd Abdulghani
Before I reached the last chapter, I was planning to give The Traitors three stars for the story as a whole and a fourth one for originality and unpredictability (my God, all the times Becker made me gasp!).
The last chapter, though, takes unpredictability to a whole new level. And not in a good way. Two words: terrible ending.

And while we're at it, the characters could have used a lot more depth. Oh, and SO MANY things didn't make sense, add up, and/or weren't explained. AND THERE ISN'T EVEN A S...more
chucklesthescot
Adam kissed his best friend's girl and was responsible for Danny being kicked out of school. He has Betrayed and now he has been snatched from his home to a high security prison to serve hundreds of years for his crime. But even amongst other criminals, there is one ready to betray them all to the guards for a ticket home. Who can you trust?

This was a decent YA dystopian read where a prison in a different time dimension punishes kids for betraying friends and family by locking them in prison. Th...more
Tim Roast
This book is about a prison where traitors go called the Dial (so called because it resembles a clock with two walkways in the middle, like hands of a clock, and 12 wings which these hands connect to). Thus if a child betrays someone, e.g. Adam, the main character in the book, kisses his best friend's girlfriend which gets his best friend expelled from school because he trashed a lab in anger, then they get taken to the Dial to spend an eternity in the prison - although because it is in no-time...more
Shyra
I really loved the idea behind this book and I was willing to give it four stars, but the ending was really a disappointment considering how this book doesn't have a sequel. It still raises questions on whether the two inmates were saved in the end or if they survived on the remaining food rations and basically, what happens next?
Louise
My favourite book to date. I loved the plot, and writing style and i was completely immersed from the first page. I found some of the things a bit confusing at first, but I found that by re-reading it they made sense.
Clairysse P
Interesting ending. Not how I thought it would end. Was a bit rushed, in my opinion, but the plot was very, very good.
Magda
When the beam of light abruptly winked off, the vortex collapsed, shrinking to a tiny orange dot before disappearing completely, leaving the sky a flat pond of midnight.

"What's a promise worth in a prison full of traitors?"
Alkasu Misuto
Tasfia Rahman
A loved this book. Once I started it, I just couldn't stop. I really really hope that there is a second part to this, because I will love to know if Adam and Jessica ever get out of the dial...
Jacob
"Traitors is an amazing book that is filled with action. The plot was perfect but the character development could use an improvement.
Dyane Basinger
What a bleak existence, but such a cleverly constructed story. Worth its place on the BASH longlist.
Sigourney
Strange and amazing, some books are fantastic for reasons I cannot fathom and this is one of them.
Chloe
brilliant and very clever!!!! definatly one of my favourites!!
Jamber
Jamber marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Kookiercookie
Kookiercookie marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Since Tom Becker learned to hold a pen, he wanted to become a writer. In fact, when he was 5 years old, he wrote in a notebook that it was his dream was to be an author. Aged 25, Tom has realised that dream with publication of his first novel, Darkside in January 2007.

Tom's early enthusiasm for books and reading was encouraged by his parents who were voracious readers. Their family home was clutt...more
More about Tom Becker...
Darkside (Darkside, #1) Lifeblood (Darkside, #2) Nighttrap (Darkside, #3) Timecurse (Darkside, #4) Blackjack (Darkside, #5)