Start by marking “Providence (Providence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Providence (Providence, #1)

Providence (Providence #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  22,720 ratings  ·  1,636 reviews
In the old world shadows of Providence, Rhode Island, Nina Grey finds herself the center of a war between Hell and Earth.

Struggling with her father’s recent death, Nina meets Jared Ryel by chance…or so she believes. Although his stunning good looks and mysterious talents are a welcome distraction, it soon becomes clear that Jared knows more about Nina than even her friend
Published 2010 by Jamie McGuire, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Providence, please sign up.

Jenny Rose Hi Adelina! Yes, it is available in ebook format! :) Here is the link for it on amazon. I don't know if you'd rather purchase it on iBooks or…moreHi Adelina! Yes, it is available in ebook format! :) Here is the link for it on amazon. I don't know if you'd rather purchase it on iBooks or something else. http://www.amazon.com/Providence-Book...(less)
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireHopeless by Colleen HooverEasy by Tammara WebberWait for You by J. LynnSlammed by Colleen Hoover
Book Boyfriends - New Adult/YA
91st out of 730 books — 1,150 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireReal by Katy EvansUntil November by Aurora Rose ReynoldsEasy by Tammara WebberHopeless by Colleen Hoover
Book Boyfriend Central
80th out of 607 books — 786 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
description

Okay Heather, calm down, it wasn't really that bad was it??

Yes it freaking was! 500 pages of crappy bad Twilight fan fic! I can't believe I wasted so much time!

Yes but you loved "Beautiful Disaster"? Isn't this by the same author?

Very true, I did like "Beautiful Disaster". But maybe I 'm just sick of stalker-boy insta-love YA romances!? I mean Jared was spouting creepy I love yous and making Nina her favorites meals at their first real date. He knew all of her preferences and likes and di
Lisa
I’m going to keep this review short and sweet.

description

Yup, just like that...short and sweet.

I did not really know what to expect going into this book. Sure, I loved Beautiful Disaster, but that was no guarantee that I would love this Jamie McGuire paranormal romance. Admittedly, Providence started off a little slow for me and it took me a little while to get into it. However, Jamie McGuire picked up the pace and by the end I was completely into the book.

I really did enjoy this story. I loved Jared! Was
Erin
Jamie McGuire, you have done it again, girl!!! I had this on my kindle for months and wasn't sure what exactly what it was about (that's what I get for adding books to my TBR without fully reading the summary). I'd been wanting to start it because I know I love Jamie's writing style, and I'm SO glad I finally picked it up!!

Providence gives us Nina, a student at Brown University who's dad has just passed away. The day of her dad's funeral, she happens to meet Jared Ryel, a kind and dreamy strang
Aestas Book Blog
Jan 23, 2013 Aestas Book Blog marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-tbr
Sooo I found this picture online and then some people though it looked like a good casting pic for the hero from this series which is making me REALLY WANT TO BUMP THEM UP MY TO-READ LIST cuz holyyyyy hotness!!!!

Nancy
A toast! To finally finishing this book.
It took me forever. It's never ending. *relieved sigh* But I did it.

"You have feelings for me?" His face fell. "I still can't get you out of my head."

"I want you safe. I want you happy. I'm figuring out the rest."

I had very high expectations for this book. HIGH. Sadly, I just did not love it. It irritated me beyond reason. I was either rolling my eyes, huffing in annoyance, or arguing with the pages. Seriously.
I was really looking forward to this bo
Sita Sargeant
Oct 10, 2011 Sita Sargeant rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mellow and others...
I really don’t know how to describe this book. I picked this up because I loved Beautiful Disaster and I mean LOVED! I read it so many times it was a little ridiculous. Near obsession. Back to this book… I actually had to go on a huge search for this one; I could not find it anywhere. Not in the shops, not in the library, not online. I ended up buying it on I-tunes, to read on my I-phone. Let me tell you now, such a pain! My hands hurt by the end of finishing each chapter and the screen kept mov ...more
Jacqueline's Reads
5 Angel Saving Stars

Re-read Audio version. I love audio books. I love audio books even more when I re-read my favorite reads. It’s like you are experiencing everything for the first time and with DOUBLE the emotions.

If you have read this series or want to re-read this series. The AUDIO version is the perfect way to go.

Providence=swoon

I have kissed boys, some of those boys more than once, who never have kissed like that.

That’s because you kissed boys, sweetheart

It’s a mysterious, intriguing a
Tammara
I knew going in that the pace and content would be different from one of my favorite books of the year - Beautiful Disaster - plus, this is Jamie McGuire's foray into paranormal. Be prepared on these scores before starting this one.

Nina has lost her father, a man she adored and idolized. Not long after his death, she discovers that she's been sheltered her entire life from dealings he had with heaven and hell. Scary life-and-death dealings. Now, the things that have been kept from her have put h
Megan
This story starts with Nina losing her father. Her loving, perfect, doting father, who would like totally never, never, ever do anything wrong. *hint* *hint*

Very quickly Nina meets the mysterious Jared. But, like, if Nina and Jared are in love the world will end plus lots of other bad stuff will happen.

Insert tons of awkward writing such as,

"Jared's expression turned intense, as if he was moved beyond words by my simple honesty."

"I stretched my legs over Jared's lap and chewed happily on his a
Autumn
Ugh...why do i bother? I will tell you why. The book had a very interesting concept. The ways in which this story could go blew my mind, and then I read it. It would have gone in a DNF pile, but I have a flaw, maybe even fatal, and that is that I have to finish a book. No matter how bad it is, or seems, I must continue the slow torture of trudging on. I know other people that do this, and that is why some of them are my best friends. However, anyway, back to the book. There have been Twilight co ...more
Christy
Another really good series, like this author a lot
Linda
*Possible spoiler alert*

It's pretty safe to say I've found myself a new favorite author.

I read this book on my Kindle but I'm going to have to buy it because I want it, in my hands! To maybe hug, I'm not sure...
I just love the way Jamie writes, it's so captivating and intriguing. And when there's drama and action going on, you really sit on the edge of your seat! She had me quite worried there towards the end...
I totally love the entire environment she created in this one and every single pers
Tee
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Though this book is completely opposite from Beautiful Disaster, the beautifully talented writing is exactly the same. Who needs vampires and werewolves when you have an extremely hot half angel bodyguard who is unconditionally in love with you and completely devoted to keeping you safe (even though it does make Jared appear to be a little bit whipped at times). I fell in love with this book from the start. One of the things I liked most was that it took place in college which is very rare for a ...more
Nicole Williams
Man, I can't decide if I liked Providence or Beautiful Disaster better . . . both were phenomenal. This was a sweet love story, very romantic, and action packed. If you're a paranormal fan and enjoy a sigh-worthy love story, you should check Providence out, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Just bought the sequel and can't wait to read it.
Shelly Crane
I fell in love with me some Jared....... :)
Danielle (is feeling overwhelmed)
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

Oh PROVIDENCE...where to begin?
I truly think when it comes to Jamie McGuire, the less romance the better when it concerns me. I adore her more plot driven books like RED HILL but the very sniff of romance and I come over all queasy and this was no exception.

My two main issues with this book were the instalove *everybody shudders* and the face that it really felt like a Twilight rehashing. I loved Twilight but there only needs to be one of them.

When
Simona Beňová
Dovoľte mi predstaviť vám Ninu, obyčajné vysokoškolské dievča, ktoré na prvý pohľad môže vyzerať ako sympatické dievča. No nedajte sa oklamať. Ak by ste zvažovali byť jej priateľkou, pripravte sa na to, že:
1.vás bude ignorovať (pretože bude mať mozog prevarený z toľkého premýšľania o tom super-mega-extra-úžasnom a tajomnom chalanovi Jaredovi)
2.ju budete neustále utešovať (pretože to dievča jednoducho nevie prestať bučať, keď sa od nej Jared vzdiali na viac ako hodinu)
3.budete viesť prázdne kon
Rose
Apr 13, 2012 Rose rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one looking for an invigorating read tbh.
Recommended to Rose by: Kindle suggested reads
Soapbox Review to come. Oh, I have a few words to spare about this book, and not so much in the measure that it offended me in the way that Nina Malkin's "Swoon" did, but I think the tone of this review might be similar to that one.

I'm just going to be blunt about my experience reading his book - the long and short of it - I thought it was decidedly mediocre. On one hand, I knew what I was getting into, considering it's a story about a paranormal romantic fictitious pairing, but there are tons o
E
Also Found On: A Book and A Record

Let me start by saying that one of my goodreads friends (Cindy over at Once Upon a Time Book Reviews – click our link to her site, she’s great!) was really excited about this book, and though my TBR list on my Kindle is hovering somewhere around 110 titles, I knew that this one was going get pushed to the top. I’m so glad that it did! So thank you, Cindy, for getting so excited about such a fun read!
Providence is a really amazing blend that has slight elements o
The BookWhisperer
Providence was yet another brilliant display of Jamie McGuires raw talent. My first introduce to her works was with the title Beautiful Disaster, and it was a amazing and thrilling story that I have revisited since. McGuire is a amazing author with the ability to combine sweet and simple characters with remarkable story lines. Everytime I have the opportunity to read works by this author I am astounded and awestruck with her ability to create breath taking romances. These are the stories that re ...more
Jane Stewart
It wasn’t interesting enough. I wanted it to be over. Annoying heroine stupidity.

PARANORMAL SET-UP:
It wasn’t made clear, but I believe a small number of people in the world have a protector-guardian angel. Jack was wealthy and had many enemies. Gabe was Jack’s guardian angel. Gabe was like a secret agent with super powers. When Jack is killed in a car accident, Gabe died shortly after. Angels die when their taleh (their protectee) dies. Previously, Gabe married a human Lillian. They had three ch
Lucia
It has been quite long since I read proper YA book and this one was absolutely fantastic! Providence is sweet paranormal story with interesting twists and plenty of action.

I was drawn into the story from first chapter and I enjoyed it from the begining to the end. Whole story was beautifully written, gradally building up from chapter to chapter until the very dramatic and cliff-hanging end.

The storyline focuses on young woman Nina and mysterious Jared who suddenly enters her life. Jared was ab
Kristy
Ok I have to be honest. I started this book with some pretty high expectations. I was looking for another Beautiful Disaster. But part way through the book i realized I didn't want another BD, not really. I wanted a book that would provoke the same feelings BD did. I can't say this book did that exactly, but it was still a great book. In fact I would have loved it more had I not been comparing it to BD so much I think.

OK enough babbling, I loved it. I read reviews before reading it and so some o
Gailda
I am honestly confused by the high praise for this book! Having never read 'Beautiful Disaster', I had no expectations for this book. It turns out that somehow, this book cannot even beat my complete lack of expectation (which is truly saying something, because I have read some horrendous YA fiction in my time)

From what I have read of this book (I could only tolerate 1/3 of the book until I couldn't stand it anymore), it's full of what I dislike about YA fiction.

1. A boring protagonist
Meet Nina,
Jessica  (My Not So Vacant Shelf)
Alright, so I had high expectations after reading Beautiful Disaster and the book did not fail. The book doesn’t come off the same way as it does through reading the synopsis. Be warned it doesn’t feel like a novel about Heaven and Hell and Demons. No the majority of this novel is a romance. One guy has who has always been around and one girl who never knew it. And the things is you fall in love with Jared from about…well I wouldn’t say the first time you meet him but maybe the second. At first ...more
AJ
This book has been on my TBR forever, and being a big fan of Jamie McGuire’s (well, a massive fan of Beautiful Disaster, to be honest), I was keen to see what she did with a PNR.

The paranormal element is interesting, and I really liked the premise of the relationship, and I can absolutely see why so many people love this book, but it fell a bit flat for me.

First and foremost - I love Jared. He is the paranormal part of this paranormal romance, and he is such a good guy! He is brave, and protec
Vendea
Tahle kniha má jediné štěstí, které ji zachránilo od totálního odpadu - Jamie McGuire umí psát tak, že je to čtivé a stránky celkem ubíhají. Daleko horší je to s obsahem. Jsem si vážně jistá, že kdybych to četla tak před sedmi lety po Twilightu, určitě by se mi kniha líbila daleko víc. Jenže tohle celou konstrukcí kopírovalo Twilight a v některých pasážích i New Moon... Během 380 stran se řešila jenom jedna věc - a to, jestli se má Nina k Jaredovi nastěhovat nebo a ne a taky to, který z nich je ...more
Kelli C for "Cross"
OMG...sucked in. i love this! could not put it down. Jared is amazing...completely swoon worthy. i cannot get the image of amazingly hot angel standing in the rain, bursting with Love for his Taleh!!! ahhhhhhh. i am already on book 2!
Anyone read this yet? 5 19 May 13, 2015 07:39PM
/Favorite quote or part of this book? 8 146 Oct 05, 2014 01:10PM
Lovers of Paranor...: Providence 11 28 Aug 15, 2014 06:43PM
  • Intuition (The Premonition, #2)
  • Scars and Songs (Mad World, #3)
  • Fissure (The Patrick Chronicles, #1)
  • To Kill an Angel (Blood Like Poison, #3)
  • Accordance (Significance, #2)
  • Conversion (Conversion, #1)
  • Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)
  • What the Heart Wants (Soulmate, #1)
Jamie McGuire was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She attended Northern Oklahoma College, the University of Central Oklahoma, and Autry Technology Center where she graduated with a degree in Radiography.

Jamie paved the way for the New Adult genre with the international bestseller Beautiful Disaster. Her follow-up novel, Walking Disaster, debuted at #1 on the New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Jou
More about Jamie McGuire...

Providence (4 books)
  • Requiem (Providence, #2)
  • Eden (Providence, #3)
  • Sins of the Innocent
Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) Walking Disaster (Beautiful, #2) Beautiful Oblivion (The Maddox Brothers, #1) A Beautiful Wedding (Beautiful, #2.5) Beautiful Redemption (The Maddox Brothers, #2)

“Time will make it worse! You're...the other half of his soul. He's never going to get over you. And no matter how much you hope that you will... you'll never get over him. You're going to wake up one day and realize what you've done, and you're going to regret the time you wasted apart from him for the rest of your life.” 460 likes
“I'm going to kiss you now, and I don't know if I'll ever stop.” 262 likes