Start by marking “Middle School, the Worst Years of My Life” as Want to Read:
Middle School, the Worst Years of My Life

Middle School, the Worst Years of My Life (Middle School #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  12,531 Ratings  ·  1,514 Reviews
Rafe Khatchadorian has enough problems at home without throwing his first year of middle school into the mix. Luckily, he's got an ace plan for the best year ever, if only he can pull it off: With his best friend Leonardo the Silent awarding him points, Rafe tries to break every rule in his school's oppressive Code of Conduct. Chewing gum in class-5,000 points! Running in ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

Win a Copy of This Book

Middle School, The Worst Years of My Life
    Release date: Aug 23, 2016
    Enter for a chance to win a copy of James Patterson's MIDDLE SCHOOL: THE WORST YEARS OF MY LIFE, to be released as a feature film on October 7!

Rafe Kh

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 1417 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Sep 02 - Sep 30, 2016

Countries available: US and CA

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Middle School, the Worst Years of My Life, please sign up.

Danny Bhagat
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
    Danny Bhagat Yes, many. There is Middle School get me out of here, Middle School my brother is a big fat liar, and Middle School how I survived Bullies, Broccoli…moreYes, many. There is Middle School get me out of here, Middle School my brother is a big fat liar, and Middle School how I survived Bullies, Broccoli and Snake hill.(less)

Sara
    May 01, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Okay, I'm a librarian, but I think this book tried too hard. I just never believed in the main character or the situations. And even though it tries to be funny, it's not funny. The drawings will appeal to kids, and I did like the surprise about Leo at the end, but overall, I was a little bored. Also, pulling a fire alarm is a serious offense in schools and gets kids caught up in the criminal justice system. Not very funny.
    Amber
    Aug 09, 2016 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Rafe Katchadorian is now in the 6th grade and his imaginary friend Leo tells him that he should do something cool that would make his whole year: He should break the rules. Rafe agrees and creates Operation R.A.F.E. . Will he succeed or will everything he does all go up in flames? Read this and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good audiobook and the first book I've checked out by James Patterson. If you enjoy middle school stories, def check this out. It is available at your local library
    Camryn Harness
    So far in the book, It's just been a mess of things. Just Rafe getting into trouble breaking rules we have at our own schools. It hasen't really been exciting. The chapters are very short. A few funny parts here and the but otherwise it's just been dull.
    Samantha
    Dec 14, 2011 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: audiobook
    Have you ever picked something up just because you've been told the author is amazing, and then after you start reading/listening to it begin to wonder if the world is crazy or if you just have no taste? That is what happened to me when I first started listening to this middle-schooler geared audiobook. Patterson is supposed to be a genius. So many people in my town rave about how amazing his stuff is. So what's wrong with me? Why can't I get into his stuff?

I knew I was in trouble when the intro
    Jacob
    Jan 16, 2013 Jacob rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Middle school worst years of my life by James Patterson
    Realistic fiction
    281 pages
    1 book

I have read the book Middle schools Worst Years of my life by James Paterson. This book is about a kid named Rafe he is a dorky kid who has a goal of breaking every rule in the school code. H has a system of points that go with it. He also only has 20 life's which means he can only get caught 20 times. While he is doing it he started getting a reputation that made the school bully mad. He also got hated from
    Austin
    Jan 19, 2012 Austin rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: first-shelf
    Have you ever wanted to break every rule in the book in middle school? The book, Middle School, the Worst years of My Life, is a great book that takes you through the twist and turns in the life of Rafe and his plan to make it through sixth grade. Rafe is challenged by his friend Leo to break every rule in his school’s code of conduct. Along the way he has to fight dragons, try not to look like a loser in front of his crush Jeanne and fight the bully that has been out for him all year.
    The gam
    Lilit
    Jun 03, 2012 Lilit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Bonnie
    Mar 01, 2013 Bonnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Overall: Blah. I picked this up thinking that my 11 year old would think this was amusing since she's going into middle school next year. Turns out this book is anything BUT amusing. It's about a kid who decides to break all the rules as a part of a game. Dumb. Plus I ended up worrying about the mom far more than Rafe who I just wanted to "fix." In the end, Rafe is punished for his ongoing behavior and graffittiing but then rewarded for his creative gifts by sending him to art school. Seriously. ...more
    Ms. Schutte
    Jul 08, 2013 Ms. Schutte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I get why kids like James Patterson books. They generally all start with a pretty solid seed of an idea. I mean, who wouldn't want to read a book about a kid that sets out to literally break every rule in the book. But the execution is always so painfully formulaic that it reads like the literary equivalent of eating cardboard. Why is Patterson's writing warehouse allowed to continue--and how is it so successful?
    Raul G.
    Apr 26, 2015 Raul G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The authors of this book are James Patterson and Chris Tebbetts.Thats the first time I ever saw that before where there are two authors on the same book. Well back to the book the book has 200 something pages I forgot how many the pages are but it’s like 280.This book has awesome jokes and sometimes the thing that you think is going to happen is going to happen and it’s so embarrassing. Like theres a girl that he likes and he need a tutor and the principal went on the mic and call her name and I ...more
    Ben
    Apr 03, 2016 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Best book in the world!
    Thanh Xu Jr
    Aug 20, 2016 Thanh Xu Jr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I thought I would give this 2 stars after reading the half first part of the book. I couldn't stand the main character - Rafe. He seems a complicated boy with too many naughty actions not just at school but at home as well. He annoys and depresses his mom, teachers and even some readers (especially the adult ones). I am a middle school teacher, I deal with kids like him every day, which just adds up more to my disliking him and the book.

But thankfully I finished reading the rest of the book. Ev
    Heath Cleveland
    Feb 10, 2015 Heath Cleveland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    LOVED IT! EVERYONE SHOULD READ IT, AND READ ALL OF THE JAMES PATTERSON BOOKS!
    Hye-Lin
    Feb 02, 2016 Hye-Lin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Nik
    Jun 21, 2014 Nik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This book is about Rafe trying to rail against authority. He is railing against authority because he thinks the teachers are being rude to the students. My favorite part about this book is when rafe keeps a secret about operation R.A.F.E. because he doesn’t want his mom to bust him. I also liked the awesome drawings because there very impressive. It’s sad that rafe has a twin brother because the book said Leo died when rafe was three, to me it’s sad because I would feel sad if a really good frie ...more
    Ryk Stanton
    Feb 21, 2014 Ryk Stanton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    My friend recommended this book to me after seeing that I had read and highly rated two other middle school-esque books recently. Well, he didn't recommend it to me, per se: he just asked me if I had read it. And I hadn't, so I thought I would.

I wish I hadn't.

This is the story of a pre-teen who is probably a pretty good kid but who decides that his goal for the school year is to break every single one of the rules laid out in the Student Handbook. So he does and he does and he does ...

and who ca
    Susie
    Oct 15, 2012 Susie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    If you listen to the audiobook, be sure to check out the drawings either on the CD, or in a book; it's not the same without them. This is the first time I can remember listening to an audiobook that made references to the fact that it was audio, so some alterations were made; it even referenced drawings by number.

I must say, I was a little disappointed in this book. I had many, many students tell me this was one of the funniest books they had ever read, but I found myself finding it incredibly s
    (ha)Ley
    So basically this is about a kid named Rafe who was entering middle school and he decides to play a "game" where he attempts to break all the rules. See, it even sounds stupid right?? But the book was a present from my grandma when I was first going into middle school so I read it.

Eh. This book was ok. All the characters except Rafe, Leo and the mom annoyed me. The bully was annoying, the stepdad, I thought was annoying too and not only that- WHAT was his purpose in the story??? At the end, whe
    Giovanni Zuniga
    This book was boring at first. Then Rafe started his challenge and kept on reading it because he kept on getting in trouble. This book is about a kid called Rafe and he started his challenge to do the opposite of the school rules he usually never got caught and that's why it was an interesting book to read in the summer.
    Milani
    Oct 08, 2015 Milani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This book is part of a series. Some of it was relatable. It is about a middle schooler named Rafe Khatchadorian. He makes up a challenge to get himself in as much trouble as possible. He gets into a lot of trouble and gets suspended.
    Jessica
    Jul 23, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    So funny! Rafe Katchedorian has decided he will break every rule in the school handbook with a little help from his friend Leo. Throughout his adventures, he runs into the Dragon Lady, the Lizard King, and Jeanne G, all three of whom are real people in his school!
    This book had me chuckling a few times as he completed his 'challenges' in interesting and unique ways.
    I enjoyed seeing how Operation R.A.F.E. turned out & was glad that Rafe learned a lesson by the end of it. I also really apprecia
    Cinyee Lin
    This book was really funny and entertaining.entertaining. Rafe had lots of courage to stand up to Miller and fight him.Near the end I was shocked that Rafe's mom got hurt,but it was good to see what she looked like and what was George's reaction when she got hurt.I didn't have any favorite part because I loved every single chapter. Also Leo is right about being Normal is BORING.
    Abby Johnson
    I mean, I read this in order to record an episode of Renata and Kait's podcast Worst Best Sellers. I think that says it all. (And HONESTLY, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be... which is ridiculous because it was pretty much a mess.)
    Jason Cook
    Nov 20, 2014 Jason Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Chocolate Panda
    May 18, 2016 Chocolate Panda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Caleb Smith
    Middle school the Worst Years of my Life is about a boy who make up a system to break all of the rules in the school and depending on how many people see it he will give himself more points and for each rule he broke he would give himself an amount of points and has three lives and each time he gets in trouble he loses a life. This is what he called Operation R.A.F.E. Rafe is his name and he has a sister named Georgia and his mom name is Jules and his best friend is Leo which helps him a lot wit ...more
    Jen Doucette
    Another book with my young reader done. While the humor of the book mostly missed me, the patient ears of my middle school listener were very entertained.
    Abduraafi Andrian
    Bagus kok ini. Aku penasaran kalau divisualisasikan. Bakal senakal apa si Rafe ini. Rafe ya, bukan Raafi.

Ulasan Lengkap: http://bibliough.blogspot.co.id/2016/...
    Samuel Koontz
    May 04, 2015 Samuel Koontz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Edit 6

Characters, Rafe, Bear, Mom, Georgia, Leo, Mrs Donatello{Dragon Lady}, Mrs. Stricker{vise principal}. Rafe and Leo make a game so they can get through Middle School. Its called Operation R.A.F.E.. The game is that he has to break all the school rules. I think that he is going to get in big Trouble. What is he Thinking?

Edit 7

Rafe goes to detention. He get his notebook taken from him by Miller. He has to pay for it. Will he get all of hi notebook back. I think he is going to a expelled.

Edi
    Johnathon Lenerade
    Middle School the Worst Years of My Life was a good book. It is a humorous realistic fiction book about a kid named Rafe. He lives with his mom, sister, and his mom’s boyfriend Bear. One day he gets tired of bear yelling at his sister and makes a game out of the breaking the rules f his school with his brother for laughs and giggles . His brother is dead but, he is still there for Rafe . As he breaks all the rules he gets into trouble on the way. I would recommend this book to anyone who is look ...more
    middle school 1 1 14 hours, 36 min ago
    • Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners
    • Gracias/Thanks
    • The Tailypo: A Ghost Story
    • Just a Minute!
    • Darth Paper Strikes Back (Origami Yoda, #2)
    • Secret Pizza Party
    • My Life as a Stuntboy (My Life #2)
    • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading (Charlie Joe Jackson, #1)
    • How to Survive Middle School
    • That's Good! That's Bad!
    • School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters (Justin Case, #1)
    • What Mommies Do Best / What Daddies Do Best
    • Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf: A Year Told Through Stuff
    • Planet Tad
    • Big Nate on a Roll (Big Nate Novels, #3)
    • Bully Bait
    • The Loser List
    • M Is for Mama's Boy (NERDS, #2)
    Official US Site
    Official UK Site
    BookShots
    JIMMY Patterson Books
    Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
    ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
    More about James Patterson...

Middle School (1 - 10 of 11 books)
    • Middle School: Get Me Out of Here!  (Middle School, #2)
    • Middle School: My Brother Is a Big, Fat Liar (Middle School, #3)
    • Middle School: How I Survived Bullies, Broccoli, and Snake Hill  (Middle School, #4)
    • Ultimate Showdown (Middle School #5)
    • Save Rafe! (Middle School #6)
    • Just My Rotten Luck (Middle School #7)
    • Middle School: Rafe's Aussie Adventure (Middle School, #7.25)
    • Going Bush (Middle School, #7.5)
    • Dog's Best Friend (Middle School, #8)
    • Middle School: Escape to Australia (Middle School, #9)

“People always talk about how great it is to get older. All I saw were more rules and more adults telling me what I could and couldn't do, in the name of what's " good for me." Yeah, well, asparagus is good for me, but it still makes me want to throw up.” 11 likes
    “Every masterpiece comes at the end of a long line of failures.” 10 likes