Start by marking “Enemy in Blue: The Chase (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Enemy in Blue: The Chase (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers, #1)

Enemy in Blue: The Chase (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers #1)

YOU KNOW WHO YOUR ENEMY IS?

The streets aren't safe when your enemy wears a blue uniform and a gold badge.

What if the good guys weren't good?

What if a cop went rogue and killed an innocent man?

What if it was all caught on video and the cop would do anything to cover it up?

Published May 2011 by Rogue Books, LLC

The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Thrillers
181st out of 2,682 books — 3,284 voters
Catch-22 by Joseph HellerAnimal Farm by George OrwellThe Godfather by Mario PuzoAll the President's Men by Carl Bernstein1984 by George Orwell
Corruption in High Places
11th out of 238 books — 247 voters

More lists with this book...

Elise Stokes
Jun 22, 2014 Elise Stokes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
(Not suitable for readers under 18)

I must admit, while reading the initial grisly scene in Enemy In Blue, I thought, “My, Derek Blass is taking some artistic license here. I mean, this Shaver, all these witnesses. Come on, who would do this?” Quickly I realized that’s the point. The antagonist, Colin Shaver, represents individuals in our society who lack empathy and remorse and are bent on dominance and control, playing by their own twisted set of rules to gain it. Shaver, who Blass eloquently d
Kathy Hall
Nov 07, 2011 Kathy Hall rated it it was amazing
For action, body-count and digging into the underworld of police politics - this is really a great read. However, I think the best asset of the novel is the incredible drawing of the antagonist - the evil Sergeant Shaver really shines.

Throughout the novel, this is the guy who drives the story. Shaver is persistent, tough and thoroughly without redemption. He steps off the page and into your life and you just know there's a real life Shaver out there in the world.

The action is unending - there is
Julie
Jan 19, 2012 Julie rated it did not like it
it was awful and I stopped about 50 pages in
Andy Angel
Mar 12, 2012 Andy Angel rated it it was amazing
This first novel from Debut author Derek Blass really hits all the right buttons.
We start off with a raid on a latino families home that goes to hell when one of the occupants is shot by the Police Seargent (Shaver - a particularly despicable person). The raid is being filmed by a tv station for a police documentary type show.
What follows, for the first part of the book, is a high octane chase for possession of the video - Shaver and various others want it so they can bury it, the good guys have
Kat Collins
Jul 11, 2012 Kat Collins rated it did not like it
I have to say I was a bit disappointed in this book. While the premise of the book is intriguing and has lots of promise, the author doesn't quite deliver. It's a story of a corrupt police force that is radically bent towards discrimination of anyone not of the White class. It is police brutality at its worst. The plot of the entire book is based on this theme. Think "Rodney King" magnified by a thousand. A violent crime committed by a police officer towards an unarmed, elderly Hispanic man is w ...more
Tami
Sep 21, 2011 Tami rated it it was amazing
The guys in blue are supposed to be the good guys. What if they aren’t? What one cop went rogue and took matters into his own hands? What if this vigilante justice, corruption, and racism ran much deeper than just one man?

A cameraman shooting one of those reality cop shows tags along on what seemed like a pretty routine night. At first, he’s focused on getting the best angles for the greatest effect. Then, suddenly he is told to turn off the camera. Point blank, one of the cops shoots an old man
Sue Owen
Jan 18, 2012 Sue Owen rated it really liked it
This was a page-turner from beginning to end. I had some trouble following the main characters but figured it out after a bit. The plot was complicated but put together nicely and the secrets interwoven good. There was one place that could have used some clarification; the Mexican standoff part. I would have liked to have more drama there. Was ready for a monster fight but felt disappointed.

I really liked the way the author put this all together and made it all fit. There wasn’t a lot of time wa
Tima
Jul 02, 2016 Tima rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
This book reads like a more detailed version of a Law & Order episode. It has the crime that was committed and the details for the first half of the book. Then the second half is about the trial.
It was fast paced, full of relevant details and edge of your seat action.
I really, really enjoyed reading this book. And I know that it's the type of book that my husband will enjoy as well.

It's obvious that the author has done his research. Most books are about either the police part of a crime or
Zoe Saadia
Mar 16, 2014 Zoe Saadia rated it it was amazing
That was a wild ride!

I enjoyed reading "Enemy in Blue" very, very much. The action never slacked, never slowed down. It was a wild ride, laced with strong, complicated characters and important social issues that our society is facing whether we like to admit it or not. I grew truly attached to them all, even the bad guys, as none was one-dimensional, none was flat.
Following their struggle, their mounting troubles that took them all over the Southwest and over the Mexican border, I stayed on the
Ashley
Jan 06, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it
Great book! Blass keeps you engaged and wondering what’s going to happen next throughout the story.

I work in a law firm so I’m familiar with a lot of the lingo and procedures and it’s extremely refreshing for an author to actually get it right. However, I believe this book can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of their legal background, or lack thereof.

The story is great, although at times it seemed to jump around a bit, and I didn’t feel like anything was left unresolved or any questions left u
J.J. Toner
Mar 16, 2012 J.J. Toner rated it it was amazing
An excellent debut novel, that portrays one US police force as thoroughly corrupt and alarmingly out of control. For a while there, while reading the book, I had to keep reminding myself that it was fiction. Even now, several months after I've finished it, I am left with the horrific notion that it might have held a grain of truth. I hope not. The story comes right in the end, btw, but it's a thrilling, shocking ride. Well worth a read.
Cindy
Jan 17, 2014 Cindy rated it did not like it
This book started out pretty well but went downhill rapidly. The narrative is choppy and sometimes hard to follow, and the characters hyperbolic. Shaver is especially unbelievable, and the other characters aren't much better. I persisted through 75% of the book and stopped. It wasn't worth the time to finish it. I'm not sure how it got five stars from some reviewers.
Dawna
Jun 16, 2014 Dawna rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book for anyone who loves police procedurals or anything related to cops. The story is one that could probably play out today in a big inner city but more likely in the '80s in L.A. - It is a fantastic book with a great story and characters. There an epilogue at the end that needs to be read and also a second book to be read as well.
David Felder
Sep 02, 2012 David Felder rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable read. Almost two books in one, the first about a crime and the protagonists' quest to capture the offenders. The second is the ensuing trial.

Lots of action and a few surprises. Think you can guess what's going to happen next? Sometimes you're right and sometimes you're surprised.

Well-written and hard to put down.
Val Wilkerson
Sep 12, 2012 Val Wilkerson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Fast moving story about some of the police force who are
racist, to the point of killing mexicans. A camera man happens
to catch one of the killings on film, he gives the film to a
reporter, good cops are being killed.....it gets into the court
scene, a bad judge, pretty interesting story, attention keeper.
Sandra Lavallee
Feb 21, 2012 Sandra Lavallee rated it did not like it
I thought the premise for the story was interesting. But the writer's style was inconsistent. After a confusing beginning, part way through the book the writer would sometimes tell the story from one characthers view and then tell the same part of the story from a different character's view.
Judy Wise
Oct 11, 2012 Judy Wise rated it did not like it
I did not finish this book. There were so many characters and the theme of so many bad cops started to get to me. When I can put a book down and leave it even for a day, it is time to start on a new books. There are too many books for me to struggle to read this one.
Toye Brown
Dec 29, 2011 Toye Brown rated it really liked it
This was a great book. If you love crime/cop novels this one will not disappoint you. I happen to love crime novels and this was up there with the best of them. I highly recommend this as a 'must read'. Great job, Derek. I look forward to reading your next one.
A Book Vacation
Mar 30, 2014 A Book Vacation rated it really liked it
To see my full review:

Imagine if you witnessed a murder but couldn’t go to the police. Who would you turn to? As I read this novel, I kept thinking, call the police! But these people WERE the police, and obviously no help was going to come to their aide. I know there are crooked people in all walks of life, but this novel really made me sit back and wonder how many crooked cops are actually out there… I seem to hear about it on the news every other day, th
Brianne
Nov 14, 2011 Brianne rated it it was amazing
I won a copy from the first reads giveaway.

Extremely well written debut! It was fast-paced and had a believable, intense storyline. I can't wait to read more from this author!
Regina Puckett
Mar 28, 2012 Regina Puckett rated it it was amazing
Enemy in Blue is a thrill ride from the beginning to the end. I may never look at a man in a uniform the same ever again. This is great material for a movie.
D.L.
Nov 30, 2011 D.L. rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge-2011
Peter
May 12, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I would definitely recommend it. It starts out pretty fast and doesn't slow down through the ending.
Shane Cormier
May 17, 2013 Shane Cormier rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this read. Thank you for the book. Looking forward to what is next
Lulu
Aug 23, 2011 Lulu marked it as to-read
I won this book from the first reads giveaways and I am so excited to read it. Thanks.
Bert
Mar 15, 2014 Bert rated it liked it
This novella is actually 1/2 of what would amount to a complete book. Recently many online authors crank out abbreviated stories and call them books. The technique works if the reader is persuaded to buy the sequel (s). I have no problem with sequels, but I do like books with a reasonable semblance of closure. It's not nice to trick readers, and cruel to have dutiful and faithful fans left hanging. Nevertheless this is a good book. There is a lot of racial and ethnic tension in urban police depa ...more
Sue
Jun 10, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, action
I received a free download of "Enemy In Blue, A thriller" by Derek Blass to read on my Kindle, through the Free Par-Tray Home Event, in exchange for a honest review.Blass tells a good story. I could not stop reading Enemy in Blue.

The story centres around a digital video. It begins with a camera-man for a TV show called Police—obviously referencing Cops. The camera-man follows a SWAT team into a spurious raid on a family home and records a brutal, racially-motivated murder of an old man by the SW
Rick Bylina
Sep 12, 2012 Rick Bylina rated it liked it
Empty your bladder, have your favorite drink ready, sit in your comfy chair, and read. Don't stop. That is the only way to get through Enemy in Blue by Derek Blass. If you stop reading and think about this story, you might not finish it. Suspension of disbelief is lacking because there are so many plot holes throughout. I will not list them in deference to the people who love thrillers that rely on the constant building of hate for characters and unbridled violence to keep themselves entertained ...more
ThrillersRockT
May 13, 2012 ThrillersRockT rated it it was amazing
Do you know who your enemy is?

The streets aren't safe when your enemy wears a blue uniform and a gold badge.

What if the good guys weren't good?

What if a cop went rogue and killed an innocent man?

Chase this lawless cop through the streets and to a scintillating series of showdowns with Cruz Marquez, a young attorney trying to nail down his enemy in blue.

Will justice be served?

With the opening of “Enemy In Blue”, Blass
Kristen N.
Jul 18, 2012 Kristen N. rated it it was amazing
Enemy In Blue written by author Derek Blass is about corruption... and yes people, it's everywhere! Enemy In Blue could have been changed from a Latin community to Native American, Caucasian or African American and the story is the same. Corruption is not dependent upon color nor by position. Could this really happen? Yes! In Enemy In Blue a tag along cameraman shooting one of those reality cop shows think this shift is going to be pretty routine. At first, he’s focused on getting the best angle ...more
Q&A with Derek Blass: Questions about Enemy in Blue 1 6 Aug 22, 2011 09:06PM
  • A Lighter Shade of Gray
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • Wearing the Spider
  • Allison
  • Anti-Depressant: A Novel
  • The Geronimo Breach
  • Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad
  • Killer In The Hills (A Jack Rhodes Mystery)
  • The Maverick Experiment
  • The Ninth District   A Thriller (Volume 1)
  • No Time To Run (Michael Collins)
  • Cloudburst (Art Jefferson, #1)
  • Shake the World: It's Not About Finding a Job, It's About Creating a Life
Derek is an author and attorney in Denver, Colorado. He graduated from Duke University and the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. He majored in English and Economics at Duke. In Colorado, Derek has served as the co-Chair of Mayor Hickenlooper's Denver Latino Commission, and was recently selected to serve as a co-Chair of the Denver Chapter of the Colorado Latino Forum. Derek was named as a ...more
More about Derek Blass...

The Cruz Marquez Thrillers (3 books)
  • Enemy in Blue: The Trial (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers - Book 2)
  • Allegiance: A Border War Thriller (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers - Book 3)

“A knot grew in his chest.  All signs of weakness, nerves, stress.  He looked around him at the true examples of men—at least it seemed that way. Six years ago he had graduated from New York University, around the middle of his class in film school.  He quickly learned that the middle meant “unemployable.” 0 likes