One Day I Saw a Black King

One Day I Saw a Black King

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  368 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"He stared at himself in the mirror, wondering how he'd managed to lose track of time. Complacency had managed to set in again. . . A decent job, warm home, food on the table, and a body to curl up next to at night; he'd made the mistake of getting comfortable. Comfort fooled him into thinking it was all good when it wasn't. Damn nightmares had a way of reminding him of th...more
Published September 17th 2003 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about One Day I Saw a Black King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day I Saw a Black King

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. JamesNever Too Far by Abbi GlinesKiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsPerfection by R.L. MathewsonThe Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred
Best Accidentally Pregnant in Romance Novels
231st out of 438 books — 1,270 voters
The Cartel by Ashley AntoinetteEvery Thug Needs a Lady by Wahida ClarkTrue to the Game by Teri WoodsThugs and the Women Who Love Them by Wahida ClarkThe Dopeman's Wife by JaQuavis Coleman
THE BEST URBAN FICTION EVER
127th out of 158 books — 130 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawnette
A Well Crafted and Worthy Read

Amazing how the events of our childhood can shape and affect our future. John and Connie were two individuals with very similar backgrounds. To say that each of them had hard lives is an understatement.~~~~~~~What I really enjoyed about this book was that it was a realistic love story in the way Connie and John's love developed. Through all their problems and baggage they found comfort in one another and conquered their demons. The ending (which I won't give away) c...more
Nardsbaby Reader
People like Us

I cannot even begin to tell you how long this book has been on my shelf. After reading one or two of J.D. Mason’s other titles, I decided it was time to read what was already on my shelf. I’m really glad that I did, while I’m also disappointed that I waited so long.

In two separate stories we meet children John and Connie, who both find themselves homeless. While John’s life begins with his maternal grandmother meeting his needs, he longs to be loved, something she’s incapable of...more
Lisa
Loved the way this book was written two broken people finding love and acceptance with each other. A lesson of love, time wasted and forgiveness. Ending takes you for a loop and makes you say hmmm? Would definitely recommend.
Tracy Darity
4.5 stars for One Day I saw A Black King by J. D. Mason. It was another great read by an author whose work I am thoroughly enjoying. It is the sequel to Don’t Want No Sugar. The entire time I was reading I kept thinking of my favorite poem, Celebration, written by Mari Evans. One verse reads:

I be bringing a whole heart
and while it do have nicks and
dents and scars,
that only make me lay it down
more careful-like
An; you be bringing a whole heart
a little chipped and rusty an'
sometime skip a beat but
A'ndrea Wilson
J.D. Mason hits a home run with her novel One Day I Saw a Black King. The story follows the lives of John King and Connie Rodgers, two displaced people who long for human connection, but don't know how to achieve it. Meeting and falling for each other becomes like a game of tug-of-war, a mental and emotional back and forth, attempting to overcome their fears, pasts, and the walls surrounding their hearts. To live the life they want, they'll have to give up the world they've built to survive. Too...more
J
(FROM JACKET)John King was an outcast from the day he was born. His teen mother died in childbirth, and his grieving grandmother, Mama Agnes, never forgave him for it. John never knew his father or the murky circumstances surrounding his birth, but he heard the whispers that floated when he came around. Finally, at the age of fifteen, after his grandmother kicks him out, he leaves the home carrying his shame and a woman's death on his shoulders.

Connie Rodgers was abandoned by her mother and sepe...more
A. Jones
Very nice; reminiscent of J. California Cooper, but with more up-to-date characters.
Tricia
This book was awesome. It took me a little more than 2 days to read. I couldn't put it down. It's so well written that you are able to follow the characters and feel what they feel. I like how the book flows freely with the other books, yet at the same time, it's strong enough that they stand on their own. So even if you read the books out of sequence, you still get a very good story. I have never read a J. D. Mason book that I didn't like, this one is no exception.
Dayatara
I read this one a while ago. It's actually the first book in JD Mason's series about John, Connie, Reesy, Charlotte, etc. I actually read the Prequel, Don't want no Sugar, first, and I would suggest that order to anyone who hasn't read these books yet. It's an amazing series. There are 4 or 5 books. You won't be disappointed.

I didn't like this book as much as I did Don't Want No Sugar but it was still really good!
Amanda
Very captivating! I found myself not wanting to put it down! I loved the transition from "Don't Want No Sugar" into this novel. I just found myself wanting more and more of John King. I would suggest reading DWNS first. It will make the story line much more easy to follow. JD Mason has once again created a masterpiece! I have already started the next book in the series "You Gotta Sin to Get Saved."
Wendy
Once I started reading this book lots of things seemed familiar. Then I realized that I actually read the sequel first. Although I read them out of order, this book was a really enjoyable read. The characters seem so real that you want to know what is going to happen to them next. If you enjoy reading series books start with this one and follow the characters.
Tara Taylor
I really like this book it was a change from my normal vampire/shifter attraction the characters were deep and made you care. I picked up the sequel and read it in one day and I cant wait to get my hands on the last book.
Mary Ann
I couldn't get into this story. I read the back cover and thought it had potential, but I couldn't find the "voice" of the story--the voice was jumping from character to character, and the story jumped around as well.
Carefree Toni
Good writing.

It's an interesting look into how your past shapes your future in ways you sometimes cannot get past (no pun intended). A great book for looking at how relationships can/can't work.
Shavaugn
An amazing read in my break from academic stuff. The story is captivating and the style of writing puts you right there with the characters. Should be read AFTER "Don't Want No Suga" by the same author.
Erica
I loved this book. I could not put it down once I started to read it. I shared with my best friend and she likes it too. I'm looking for more books by this author and more others as well.
L
This is a really great book, just wondering what it was that Moses took to the grave with him.
Toni
I'm late on reading this author, but I'm glad I finally started reading her books.
Tanisa Bernard
Mason is so motivating, i keep pushing toward a new day waiting on her next novel:)!
Nicole
I absolutley loved this book; I just couldn't put it down.
Angie
I actually cried when I read this book. No words
Torchia
I truly love J.D. Mason's books. Addictive
Michelle Burns
Very good book. I enjoy all her books.
Leesa
This Book had a little bit of everything, but i was interested from beginning as well as perplexed about the main character. the author drew me in the the story from conception....Love this Story!
Karen Mccollin
this book was great
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
  • P.G. County
  • The Million Dollar Divorce
  • I Know Who Holds Tomorrow
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • It's a Thin Line
  • Something Old, Something New: A Blessings Novel
  • Satin Doll
  • Drive Me Crazy
  • A Sin and a Shame
J.D. Mason lives with her family in Denver.
More about J.D. Mason...
And on the Eighth Day She Rested This Fire Down in My Soul You Gotta Sin to Get Saved Don't Want No Sugar Beautiful, Dirty, Rich: A Novel