Start by marking “Sports Illustrated: Great Baseball Writing” as Want to Read:
Sports Illustrated: Great Baseball Writing

Sports Illustrated: Great Baseball Writing

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This collection of writing by world-class writers including Frank Deford, Peter Gammons and Tom Verducci brings together the stories of football's greatest heroes and villains, legendary quests and pennant races.
Published March 7th 2007 by Sports Illustrated (first published May 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sports Illustrated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sports Illustrated

Mark Wilkerson
Quite the comprehensive read....A little heavy on the "steroids in baseball" story, the "Stan Musial was really under-rated/a really good guy," and, not shockingly given the east-coast bias the sports world possesses, the "The Yankees are really good" perspective.

The best stories here cover the underdogs, the misfits, the freaks, and the characters that have thrived in baseball; profiles of people and teams like The Macon High School Ironmen, Tim Lincecum, owner Bill Veeck, the 1960s New York Me...more
Andrew
It doesn't need to be 560 pages long, but gives a rich overview of the game from statistics to clowns, owners, aging stars, stadiums, radio broadcasters, and memorable series. It's a good one to flip through if you're looking to get excited for a new season, or just learn more about the history and intricacies of baseball. Most of the more recent entries feature better (and easier to follow) writing, but the older ones give a cool perspective in some cases.
Jake
Like any other anthology, some of the writings were better than others. This is no surprise. What was a surprise was how good most of it was. When I think of Sports Illustrated I think of a weekly mag with hack writers pandering to sportsminded college jocks. What I got instead was high minded writers with a love of baseball waxing poetic. I highly recommend this book.
Kevin J. Rogers
This was an outstanding compilation, although not every article was excellent. To his eternal credit editor Rob Fleder says as much in his Introduction. But the goal here was to capture the essence of the game and its history, not simply re-publish the best articles, and in that the book was a success. And some of the pieces were truly outstanding.
Rob
Seriously I have finally found the perfect book for when you are taking a poop. This thing may finally replace my "Fantasy Football 2005 Draft Hints Magazine" as my go to bathroom reading. Seriously this book may never make it out of the bathroom. Pick it up...well, not my copy, let's just say it's contaminated.
Jason Shubnell
Awesome look into some of the game's best stories that people like me never had a chance to read.
Ted
Some great snapshots of player/era.
Zach
Excellent collection.
Ray Charbonneau
It's SI. Very readable.
Nick Houhoulis
Nick Houhoulis marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Shailendra Garg
Shailendra Garg marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jorge Valero
Jorge Valero marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Vassilis
Vassilis is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Joe Parisi
Joe Parisi is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2014
Leon Shaw
Leon Shaw marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Benjamin Sarver
Benjamin Sarver marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Mike Walker
Mike Walker marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sports Illustrated The Baseball Book Sports Illustrated: The Basketball Book Sports Illustrated The Hockey Book Sports Illustrated:  Brett Favre: The Tribute Sports Illustrated: The College Football Book