Start by marking “StormWatch, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
StormWatch, Vol. 1

StormWatch, Vol. 1 (StormWatch omnibus 1; books 1-2)

Don't miss this new collection of Warren Ellis's STORMWATCH epics from issues #37-47, as The Weatherman transforms the team into a proactive, take-no-prisoners strike force. Starring Jack Hawksmoor, Battalion, Jenny Sparks, Apollo, Midnighter, Rose Tattoo and more!
Published May 1st 2012 by DC Comics (first published February 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about StormWatch, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about StormWatch, Vol. 1

Alejandro
The road to The Authority began here!

This TPB edition collects “StormWatch” #37-47. This material was originally published under the label of “WildStorm Comics” in two separate volumes “Force of Nature” and “Lightning Strikes”. This is an omnibus edition collecting both original TPBs in a brand new re-publication under the label of “DC Comics.

Creative Team:

Writer: Warren Ellis

Illustrators: Tom Raney, Jim Lee, Pete Woods & Michael Ryan

INTO THE WILD…STORM

Wildstorm Comics used to be a 90’s
Sans
Jan 23, 2017 Sans rated it liked it
Lots of icky moments but Ellis did a good job of making sure the reader gets to know the characters slowly throughout the book. I wish we learned more about Rose Tattoo and Jack Hawksmoor. Maybe in the next volume? This also gave me the creeps on a social awareness scale. At the time this was written, there were a lot of changes happening in the government and the United States in general. Those changes are surging again in our current political climate and it makes me ill to think we're repeati ...more
Don
Jun 26, 2012 Don rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Here's the thing: I've never really liked Warren Ellis. I know he's got a massive, massive fanbase, but I've never really been able to get past the fact that he's one of those comics writers (like Garth Ennis, and like Howard Chaykin) whose general contempt for humanity is palpable, and seems to infuse nearly everything they do. A lot of people like that kind of thing; it validates their own bitter cynicism, and they delight in cleverly written schadenfreude. For me, though, it's a turn-off.

So I
Christa  Seeley
Aug 08, 2016 Christa Seeley rated it liked it
I read this because it's one of the comics that led into The Authority and I figured I should read a little more background first. I had never encountered these characters before or even read a Wildstorm comic. And there were a few elements that I liked - Stormwatch is a little like the Justice League or the Avengers but they work more with the UN (rather than independently or with the US government) which gave it more of a global field. The stories are also much darker than your standard Marvel ...more
Aaron
Jun 05, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it
Great read, especially if you're a fan of Ellis's later Authority series. His work on Stormwatch laid the groundwork for that incredible storyline, and it's pretty interesting reading this as a sort of prequel. That said, I don't think you have to be familiar at all with the Authority to enjoy this book. There's plenty of thoughtful, original takes on superhero stuff in here, with well-defined (if at times a little thin) character work and a sense of impending doom. Each issue stands alone while ...more
Michael Emond
May 21, 2012 Michael Emond rated it it was amazing
I love me some Warren Ellis and this is Ellis at his best. Taking on the old Hero Tropes and turning them on their ends. It was a jarring start since Ellis was shaking up the old book and turning it into his vision but once you get over that bump it is an amazing read with interesting characters. The art is only so-so but the writing is the star here so I can overlook some boring art work that doesn't get in the way of the story. Ellis is one of the most dependable writers in the game for exciti ...more
Jared Rasic
Aug 26, 2013 Jared Rasic rated it it was ok
Some trademark moments of greatness from Warren Ellis, but none of the characters congeal enough to make me care. Honestly, it just made me wish I had more Planetary to read.
Mark
Jun 04, 2013 Mark rated it liked it
Ellis is obviously doing something different in this early work but it isn't quite there yet. Raney's art doesn't help in that regard.
Marc Jentzsch
Dec 24, 2013 Marc Jentzsch rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, superhero
I was always a fan of the Image lines, and Stormwatch was one of the big ones. After a while, I chased too many, my money went other places, and I lost track of things. Then after the Authority launched, I was upset about what I'd heard of the way Ellis ended some of the characters I really liked.

So I boycotted Ellis' Authority and Planetary for the longest time.

Biggest mistake I ever made, but that's another story. For now, let's focus on the fact that I finally decided to go back and have a lo
Justin
Nov 24, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it
Ever since DC released the Absolute Authority hardcover collections, I've been waiting and hoping for a similar treatment of Warren Ellis's late `90s run on Stormwatch, which was the precursor to his groundbreaking Authority series. I didn't quite get my wish for an Absolute Stormwatch, but DC has at least released those issues in a pair of hardcover collections.

I was actually a fan of Stormwatch from the very beginning. Sure, it was formulaic and very typical of the early `90s Image Comics mind
Eric England
Jul 14, 2014 Eric England rated it really liked it
Stormwatch Volume One by Warren Ellis and Tom Raney is an excellent graphic novel. While Tom Raney's art is very much in the 1990s style and may not be the taste of contemporary readers, Warren Ellis' scripts astonish and delight. Ellis had all the makings of the comic book legend he would eventually become in this series. Stormwatch is not only the series that laid the groundwork for his classic Authority run, it also contains elements of some of his later work like Planetary and even his recen ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Dec 25, 2013 Chris Lemmerman rated it really liked it
Warren Ellis' critically acclaimed Stormwatch is a book I hadn't had a chance to read, so when I received both volumes, and the follow-up Authority collections for Christmas, I took the plunge.

This volume is mostly done-in-one stories, with each one revealing something small that builds up to the cataclysmic conclusion in the second volume. It's an interesting way of telling a story, and one that I think would do wonders now in the current comic climate where multi-part mega arcs are the norm. I
Comicspectrum
Oct 19, 2013 Comicspectrum rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5/5 – Enjoyable team book intrigue from the vault.

Time to step into the time machine and go back to the last century, 1999 to be specific. In the interests of full disclosure, this was my first exposure to these comics as I had a bit of a lost decade or so in my comic reading from 1993ish to around 2005 or so. To make this matter even more confusing, Stormwatch was originally a property of the comic book publishing company Wildstorm, which was Jim Lee’s baby. DC purchased the company a
Tom
Dec 26, 2015 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This collection did a very good job of introducing a number of characters quickly. It might have been rather repetitive for people who started at issue one, but for me coming in at number 37 this was very helpful. There is a fair amount of character ambiguity that it makes them rather fascinating too.

Some of the topics seem rather current for being written almost 20 years ago, with enemies ranging from a systematically racist and deadly police force and white supremacists in the United States.
Jeff
Jul 28, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
Ellis working on the prototype for The Authority is intermittently interesting, but this volume's mostly set-up for the big revelation of the next volume, along with some forgettable one-off stories. Raney's art is patchy, as his figures sometimes look normal and then in one random page or panel they'll look like Cro-Magnon contortionists.
Bob Fantastic
Aug 31, 2014 Bob Fantastic rated it it was ok
I love Warren Ellis but I am having trouble getting into this one. I got volume 1 and 2 at the library on his name and am not sure the moments of awesome are worth going through what is pretty boring.

It gets a bit better in some of the later chapters but remains pretty slow. Too many characters and too little time.
Todd S
Aug 18, 2013 Todd S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good stories smartly laid out. I liked how Ellis would often have me thinking he was just a slightly above-average hack, and then succeed in blowing my mind a few times just to set the record straight. The artwork was the only problem at times, but it didn't really get in the way. A very enjoyable volume, particularly the callback issue. Recommended, and I'm giving it 4 1/2 stars.
Josh
Jun 12, 2015 Josh rated it liked it
So far this is really good, not great, Ellis. The ideas are solid, but something about the characters feels "second-tier masquerading as top-tier". Other than the sequences from Jenny's past, which are terrific, the art is passable at best and downright bad at others.
Craig
Jul 11, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it
Very good collection. No one writes these grounded science fictional/horror stories better than Warren Ellis and he's in fine form here. The artwork varies from pretty good to cartoonishly over-exaggerated. If it was a bit more controlled, this might be a five-star volume.
Jdetrick
This is the beginning of what would eventually become the amazing series The Authority. This is much rougher than that series though; the art isn't as polished, the storytelling is more awkward. Still, there are some great ideas here and it's certainly different from what came before.
Brandt
Aug 10, 2013 Brandt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
I was a big fan of Warren Ellis' work on Transmetropolitan, so I was looking forward to this one. I'm not exactly sure where he's going with this, but I like how it starts.
PJ Ebbrell
Nov 02, 2013 PJ Ebbrell rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novesl
Expected more, but very disappointed.
Alex Firer
Jul 23, 2013 Alex Firer rated it liked it
A collaboration between Warren Ellis and 1999.
Eduardo
Jul 22, 2014 Eduardo rated it it was amazing
AMAZING super heroes with social commentary by the unique Warren Ellis, if you like comics go get this one yesterday!
Kyle Burley
Dec 31, 2016 Kyle Burley rated it liked it
Mark Carignan
Mark Carignan rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Herge
Herge rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Alberto
Alberto rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Johan Stensson
Johan Stensson rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Roy Monfort
Roy Monfort rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2012
  • Superman: Doomed
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader Annual 1
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Miracleman, Book Three: Olympus
  • The Batman/Judge Dredd Collection
  • Takedown (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Earth 2, Vol. 3: Battle Cry
  • Titanborn
  • The Complete Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection
  • Nova, Volume 5: War of Kings
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 5
  • Vader Down
  • Star Trek - Deep Space Nine: The Missing
  • Justice League, Volume 6: Injustice League
  • Armageddon's Arrow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Adrift (Adrift, #1)
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Voume 9: Demon
  • Superman: Earth One, Volume 3
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...

StormWatch (5 books)