Start by marking “Convite para um Homicídio” as Want to Read:
Convite para um Homicídio

Convite para um Homicídio (Miss Marple #5)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  19,381 ratings  ·  655 reviews
Todas as manhãs entre 7:30h e 8:30h, exceto aos domingos, Johnnie Butt percorria de bicicleta o vilarejo de Chipping Cleghorn, assobiando furiosamente. À porta de todas as casas e bangalôs, parava para enfiar na caixa postal os jornais que os moradores houvessem encomendado ao Sr. Totman, que tinha sua loja na High Street...
Published 1986 by Record (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Convite para um Homicídio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Convite para um Homicídio

Madeline
By this point, I have given up trying to play Guess The Culprit with Agatha Christie mysteries. It's just not possible. She's like a magician who tells an audience that she's going to make a coin disappear and reappear. The coin disappears, and she tells you to watch her right hand. You, who have seen magic shows before, think "Aha! Misdirection! I'll watch her left hand, and then I'll see how the trick is done." So you're watching her left hand, and everyone else is watching her right hand, and ...more
Carol.
Dec 14, 2014 Carol. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Christie, period mystery, cozys

Taken from my blog post: https://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2014/...

I grew up on Christie. At the time, I was limited to whatever my local library branch physically had on the shelves, so it took awhile to work my way through her bibliography, and even now, I’m not sure I’ve read all of her books. There was that pesky problem of British and American editions with separate titles, leaving me hopelessly confused about what I’ve read. Thankfully, A Murder is Announced had the same title in both editio
Moira Russell
This totally has the best back jacket copy ever:

Then, as the clock chimed 6:30, the room went dark.

A gun exploded!

A body fell!

A woman screamed!

When the lights went on, a man was found lying on the floor. He was wrapped in a black cloak. He wore a black mask and he lay in a pool of blood -- dead.

(Just in case you weren't quite sure. -- DEAD.)

There had been thirteen people in the room -- thirteen witnesses who might have identified the killer.

OH BOY. These are like little deadlies.
Sarah D
Remember that rushing feeling in the good old days when you'd pick up the receiver of your kitchen phone and dangle it so that all the knots in the cord would come undone?

I am an avid reader of Agatha Christie. I mean, you'd think after reading over half of her works, I'd be able to tell who the culprit is and I did (by the third guess, but still)
However, the best thing about Agatha Christie, it's not just about finding out who the culprit is! It's about unraveling her wonderful plot of twists
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
***THIS REVIEW IS OF AGATHA CHRISTIE'S MARPLE, THE TV PROGRAM, ADAPTATION OF THE BOOK***

Also note that Amazon US offers the Kindle version of this story for $1.99 today, 28 June 2014!

Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: The villagers of Chipping Cleghorn, including Jane Marple, are agog with curiosity over an advertisement in the local gazette which read: 'A murder is announced and will take place on Friday October 29th, at Little Paddocks at 6:30 p.m.' Unable to resist the mysterious invitatio
Duffy Pratt
This is my first Miss Marple book. I don't know why, but I'm always expecting more from Christie than I got. Miss Marple solves crimes because she has such a keen understanding of human nature. And that would be fine, except the actions of the killer in this story are so unnatural, at first contrived and then against character, that I find it hard to believe that insight into human nature is what finally gave the killer away.

The other thing that surprised me in this book is that I actually suspe
Sarita
This was a free book, and I've never read Agatha Christie before (actually, I take that back; I think I read one in middle school or something). This was a good book to read on vacation and I appreciated the characterization. The most memorable part of this book for me was Christie's use of the word "pussies" to describe older women. Allow me to quote:
Quote #1: "Nice old Pussies and retired Colonels. Yes, if they noticed that advertisement they'd all come sniffing round at 6:30 to see what was
Laurel Young
Excellent--truly classic Christie. This is one of the ones I've read repeatedly but enjoy returning to, as it's fun to know the solution and go back to see how Christie has seeded clues along the way. Miss Marple is at her best--the "fluffy" elderly lady underestimated by the police. I do think it would have been better not to have part of the solution arrive via coincidence; Miss M sees the bit with the faulty wiring occur rather improbably. However, as it would be out of character for her to k ...more
Chris
It's dark and gloomy this weekend and along with reading Agatha Christie, I've pulled out my knitting. Oh no, am I turning into Miss Marple?!
It seems ridiculous, but that’s what the newspaper says. “A murder is announced and will take place of Friday, October 29th at Little Paddocks, at 6:30 P.M.” The townspeople quickly accept that this must be a type of game – a novel entertainment. What they don’t know is that it’s as big a surprise to the inhabitants of Little Paddock - Letitia Blacklock and her guests.

Neighbours begin to stream in for the party. At exactly 6:30, the lights go dim, an intruder enters through the patio door, and t
Stephen Kaminski
Classic Agatha suspense, plot twists, and surprise ending. A master at her best.
Clarissa Draper
Date: June 1950
Detectives: Miss Jane Marple, Inspector Dermot Craddock

Characters:
Miss Jane Marple
Inspector Dermot Craddock
Letitia Blacklock, lady of the house, in her early/mid 60s
Dora Bunner, her elderly fluttery childhood friend, usually known by her nickname, "Bunny"
Patrick and Julia Simmons, Miss Blacklock's spoiled and foolish young cousins (who call her Aunt)
Mitzi, Miss Blacklock's foreign housekeeper and cook, a young refugee
Phillipa Haymes, a young widowed paying guest/gardener wit
Insania
Non ho mai particolarmente apprezzato i gialli, ma è innegabile che la Christie abbia quella maestria in merito che l'ha resa un punto di riferimento per il genere.
Ciò che, agli occhi di un lettore più o meno uso alla letteratura britannica, rende apprezzabile il suo stile semplice e senza pretese è il tributo che deve al realismo vittoriano. Esso si palesa particolarmente nelle descrizioni degli ambienti che, per quanto, fortunatamente, brevi, sono efficaci e sintetiche; ma soprattutto nella p
Carolyn F.
I think my problem here is I've read it and watched it so many times nothing is a surprise. The narration was good. I especially liked the German cook.
Melon Manis
An announcement of a murder to be!
It sounded so interesting, not only to me, but also to the Chipping Cleghorn villagers.
They all thought it must be a very fun detective game and moreover, they are all invited - so the announcement said.

But the excitement of waiting something interesting to happen replaced by a terror in the village.
But there's also a good newa: Miss Marple happens to be there too and she's ready to help the police investigate.
Diane
This is one of my favorite Agatha Christies involving Miss Marple. The story begins with a mysterious ad in the local paper, which states, "A murder is announced and will take place on Friday, October 29th, at Little Paddocks, at 6:30 p.m. Friends accept this, the only intimation." This is the home of Letitia Blacklock and Dora Bunner, elderly spinsters who would seem to be the last sort of people to play such a joke - if joke it is. However, Ms Blacklock is game and prepares for the big night, ...more
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Mar 21, 2014 Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone..Must Read

"A marriage is announced- no, a murder. What? Well,
I never! Edmund, Edmund, listen to this...
A murder is announced and will take place on Friday,
October 29th, at Little Paddocks at 6:30 p.m. Friends
please accept this, the only intimation."

The village of Chipping Cleghorn becomes the center of activity and excitement when the Gazette announces a murder at Little Paddocks and invites everyone to witness it! Thinking that it is probably the "Murder Game"
Note: this review is completely spoiler free.

After loving ‘Murder on the Orient Express’, I decided to tackle another Agatha Christie book, this time featuring Miss Marple and a theatrical attempted murder set in a little village hamlet.

The great thing about this book was the underlying feeling of rising danger. The crime happens at the beginning, as with many mysteries, but you can’t shake the feeling that the danger wasn’t quite over. The story starts off very slowly, much slower than I would
Patricia
A Murder is Announced is a novel from Agatha Christie's Miss Marple Mysteries.

It's about a murder being announced in the paper to take place at Letitia Blacklock's home.

The plot and title were both inviting, because nothing's as thrilling as an announced murder. I just didn't like how there were a lot of characters being introduced in the beginning, which like the other Christie book I have read before, got me bored and gave me a hard time remembering everyone. The climactic aspect kept fluctuat
Mikael Kuoppala
Once again Agathe Christie's clever and strong storytelling, combined with social criticism and description have produced an entertaining mystery. While not Christie at her best, "A Murder Is Announced" is a worthwhile read.

Written in 1940, the story isn't as clever as many other mysteries Christie produced in her time, and having Miss Marple as the investigator always stretches the boundaries of credibility.

We get a newspaper announcing a murder that's going to happen later that very same day.
Will
"Miss Marple leaned back in her chair. She murmured under her breath, 'People are really very alike, everywhere.'

'Who am I like?'

'Well, really, dear, you are very much like yourself. I don't know that you remind me of anyone in particular. Except perhaps -'

'Here it comes,' said Bunch.

'I was just thinking of a parlourmaid of mine, dear.'

'A parlourmaid? I should make a terrible parlourmaid.'

'Yes, dear, so did she. She was no good at all at waiting at table. Put everything on the table crooked, mix
Shounak Reza
This review was originally published in my blog: http://shounaksbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Believe it or not, this is the first Agatha Christie that I have read- and I loved it so much, SO MUCH, that I will be reading more Agatha Christie in future and I guess she will become one of my favorite authors. ''A Murder Is Announced'' is a wonderful detective novel, a great mystery filled with lots of suspense, and yes, lots of humor.

In the peaceful village Chipping Cleghorn, villagers are startled to s
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Murder is Announced (Miss Marple #5), first published in the UK by the Collins Crim Club in June 1950.
Characters: Miss Jane Marple, the Inspector and vicar's wife Bunch, Swiss hotel clerk Rudi, Miss Letitia Blackstone houses scatty Dora, Cousins Julia and Patrick, gardener widow Phillipa, and paranoid cook Mitzi.
Abstract: Villagers expect a fun game after a Gazette announcement of murder, but when lights flash off, shots ring out, and a masked burglar falls dead, the Inspector and vicar's wife
علی
در دوره ی نوجوانی ما، خواندن آثار پلیسی و جنایی بسیار رایج بود. تمام زنگ تفریح های مدرسه به بحث در مورد آخرین آثار پلیسی چاپ شده می گذشت. "مایک هامر"، "جانی دالر"، کاریل چسمان، و...البته آگاتا کریستی. تقریبن تمامی آثار آگاتا کریستی در آن سال ها توسط مترجمین حرفه ای و غیر حرفه ای به فارسی ترجمه می شد، و در کتاب های کیلویی گوتمبرگ (کیلویی ده تومان) به فروش می رسید. در سینماها هم فیلم های هالیوودی از آثار آگاتا کریستی کم نبودند. همه ی ما مشتری داستان های شب رادیو بودیم که اغلب سری داستان های پلیسی ...more
Amy
"A joke, of course. In bad taste, of course. But none of Miss Blacklock's friends and acquaintances can resist calling on her at the appointed hour.

At 6.30 precisely, the lights go out..." DUN DUN DUNNNNN!

I loved the premise of this one. An advert in the personal column of the North Benham News and Chipping Cleghorn Gazette announcing a murder at 6.30 at Little Paddocks? Awesome!

This didn't quite live up to my expectations, though. There were just too many impostors... impostors all over the p
Ruby Rose Scarlett
Guessed the culprit very early on in the novel but I really enjoyed this story nonetheless, which goes to show Christie could have been a delightful general fiction author too. Very interesting characters, some funny lines and some metatextual references to Christie's life as an author plus some an intertextual reference at the end to Elephants Can Remember which I thought was lovely. Really great atmosphere throughout - I could picture everything very easily. Just like the Poirot books at some ...more
Donna
While this book is set after World War II, it still, I think, qualifies as a "golden age" mystery as Christie had the same style throughout her Miss Marple books.

Jane Marple is described here as very old and frail, which is humorous since she was old and frail in the first set of stories written almost 30 years earlier. I wonder if she'll get younger in the subsequent books. LOL

The book is set in the quiet English village of yore, although with everyone complaining about how things have changed
Deirdre Rasmussen
I have read this "cozy" mystery so many times it's not funny. I love the characters, even the stereotypical ones, and I've quoted from it a few times to comment on the world. It was published in 1950 I think, and much of it was about British domestic life in the aftermath of WWII.
Nikki
A Murder is Announced was, as I'm finding usual with Agatha Christie, quite fun and reasonably absorbing. One could tire of it very easily, since the writing isn't anything special -- although I generally like the characters in the background quite a lot. When I like them a lot, it's a three-star read; when no one particularly caught my attention, only two-star. (The difference between "it was ok" and "liked it".)

The plot of this one is very torturous, and very... unlikely. Okay, okay, most of t
Shruthi Natarajan
A brilliant story by Agatha Christie- She never fails to please me. In 2 months I have finished 11 of her books! It is very gripping, and recommend this series to people who love crime fiction and mystery books
Agatha Christie L...: December 2014 - A Murder is Announced 25 100 Dec 12, 2014 08:21AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine books 4 14 Oct 28, 2014 08:34AM
The Agatha Christ...: August 2014: A Murder Is Announced 9 16 Oct 21, 2014 06:51AM
  • Death and the Dancing Footman (Roderick Alleyn, #11)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Original Sin (Adam Dalgliesh, #9)
  • The Doorbell Rang (Nero Wolfe, #41)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“It's what's in *yourself* that makes you happy or unhappy.” 28 likes
“People with a grudge against the world are always dangerous. They seem to think life owes them something. I've known many an invalid who has suffered worse and been cut off from life much more... and they've managed to lead happy contented lives. It's what's in yourself that makes you happy or unhappy.” 19 likes