Start by marking “The Writing Road to Reading: A Modern Method of Phonics for Teaching Children to Read” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Writing Road to Re...

Romalda Bishop Spalding

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The Writing Road to Reading is a total language arts program that has been used by teachers and parents for over fifty years to teach millions of students to spell, write, and read. Now fully updated to reflect the latest research on how children learn language, this newest edition is easier to use than ever.

The Spalding Method helps train the right and left sides of the b
Published December 31st 1980 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Writing Road to Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Writing Road to Reading

Natalie Francis
If you are interested in teaching a child to learn to read, the Spalding method is incredible! This book explains the why & how to teach. I have started it with my 4 year old & have already seen improvements. She loves it! I do wish the book included a guided outline of what to teach each day or for each lesson. I had to read through all the theory to search for the implementation. If any of you are interested in using this method for your own child, I can share the implementation I put ...more
Catherine Gillespie
I decided to read The Writing Road to Reading because it describes how understanding basic phonemes and spelling rules can help kids spell the most common words in English and also help them to spell unusual words. The method also purports to teach children to read and to appreciate literature, but we already have those under control so I mostly skimmed until I got to the spelling parts. There is quite a lot of information on classroom teaching methods as well if you find that interesting.

(Note:
Terri
Writing Road to Reading is an excellent phonics program. Catch is you have to read the Introduction! Yes, that part that you sometimes skip in a book, you need to read it. It explains the Spalding method and it makes a lot of sense.

I used this book with three of my children and then tried to duck out of the work with my next. It was spelling disaster for him and so I went back to the Writing Road to Reading and started over with phonics and spelling and the results were the same as before- fanta
Celeste Batchelor
I enjoyed learning more about teaching phonics. I used this method with my kids one summer when they were 14, 11, and 9 to help them understand phonics and spelling better. It worked really well, even with my unwilling teen. :0) I noticed immediate improvement in reading and spelling for all of my kids. I wish I had used this method when my children were small, but I'm glad I have it now to fill in the holes in my children's education.

I also purchased the flash cards and word building cards.
di
Sep 26, 2009 di rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: homeschoolers, people with children in primary grades
Shelves: homeschooling
With the exception of a few bogus ideas (like 'y' says short /i/ at the end of words, like baby), I really liked this system of introducing phonics to young readers. I liked the lack of cutesy-ness. It's a sophisticated approach. I also liked the integrated approach--reading, writing, spelling, language arts--it's all there together. Very effective. I used it as a summer tutor, & was pleased with the results. I plan to use it when my children are old enough to start homeschooling.
Teri
This is a pretty dry textbook based on a lot of rules. BUT, the golden gem of this book is that it teaches "phonics" as seventy phonograms. So, it's not just "b says buh" but "ay says ay" and "ph says fff". I think the phonogram approach is much much better than simply teaching that each letter of the alphabet has a sound.
Heather
so, this book sounded great in theory...but I didn't implement it...just followed our natural instincts and my sons lead & he is reading...

I bought this book now to see if I can implement it around here as my 6 yo son does not like the fact that his 4 yo sister reads more than him...as phonics and language seem to come more naturally to her, as she naturally *gets* phonics, etc. So...hence the Spalding method.

Here are some reasons I like this approach: (for any of you asking why?)

It is der
Marcy
This book has been so helpful to me. It is probably THE standard for teaching phonics. Last spring I had to do a serious reevaluation of my method of teaching reading to my then struggling first grader. She was not even close to reading on grade level and was still struggling with simple three letter words. I had been using Explode the Code workbooks along with the Bob books and other easy readers. It just wasn't clicking for her. (My other three children were reading far above grade level by th ...more
Stephanie
I learned a great deal about the Spalding Method and about English phonics and spelling rules in general from this book, but it is not a lesson plan book in my opinion. I think a great deal more work would be required to implement it. (Thankfully there are similar programs like the Orton-Gillingham based "All About Reading" that do the work for you.) However, it is definitely a reference worth having in your library if you're helping a child or an adult learn to read.
Janel
I took a workshop on the Spalding METHOD TO HELP MY kindergarteners with his homework. why didn't we learn this stuff in schookt?!?! It teaches children how to properly write letters in the direction in which you read, and also in a way that automatically connects the letters when writing cursive. there is always a reason given to explain why words are spelled they way they are so children spend less time memorizing the spelling of a word. there is evidence that proves cursive reinforces synapti ...more
Melissa
This book cover actually represents the 4th edition of Spalding's book which is the one I have just finished reading so that I could implement it right away.

Already seeing huge and quick changes when it comes to reading and spelling understanding with my children. So grateful to the advice of other homeschool moms who have recommended this method!
MaryReadsRomance
The original Spalding land mark work using Orton Gillingham phonograms to teach reading for children with dyslexia and learning differences. Works for every child. Newer takes include Spell to Read and Write and the Logic of English... but this is the foundational work,
Joseph
Writing Road to Reading is a great program for teaching children reading and writing skills. I would recommend using the parts needed for instruction, such as the spelling sections and skim over the more technical parts. A great resource!
McKenzie
what to rate it? i have no idea. the context is fabulous! but i have never read a drier text book in my life. i also wish there was a manual that gave lessons, made it more user friendly.
Christy
Its a text book, so 3 stars is my max. It seems to be a solid program. It has good teaching elements that have research behind them. I am excited to begin using it in my classroom.
Brianon Sheffield
too wordy and dry. but also... the ideas in it are what I've been wanting to teach my kids but didn't know how. I'm excited to try teaching it this year!
Jo
Ok, so it's a text book. No pleasure reading here. But I am excited to use this method in my classroom - despite the insane amount of work.
Kim T.
Another superb resource for the home library
LJ
For those who want a proven step-by-step system for teaching reading, in my opinion this is it!
Karen
Guess what Karen has undertaken.
Deidre
Probably would have been great if my daughter had responded to it. She was not like the format at all! However, I think it helped to prepare her for "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons". She knew the sounds because of Writing Road to Reading. I liked the idea of the book but if the kid is not responding well, it is not going to work.
Andrea
Too complicated.
Theidra
Theidra marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Rebecca Ray
Rebecca Ray marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Faridah Jones
Faridah Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Frances Weldon
Frances Weldon marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Elizabeth Daniels
Elizabeth Daniels marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Alexandra Menkens
Alexandra Menkens marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Ghalia Hanif
Ghalia Hanif marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Thomas Jefferson Education for Teens
  • Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum: A Guide to Catholic Home Education
  • Teaching the Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style
  • Poetic Knowledge: The Recovery of Education
  • The Complete Writer: Writing with Ease: Strong Fundamentals
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek and Latin
  • Drawing with Children
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians (Volume One)
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook