Start by marking “One Day It'll All Make Sense” as Want to Read:
One Day It'll All Make Sense

One Day It'll All Make Sense

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  850 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
From the hip hop icon, Hollywood star, and “a true artist and writer of deep talent” (James McBride, author of The Color of Water)—a candid, New York Times bestselling memoir ranging from his childhood on Chicago’s South side and his emergence as one of rap’s biggest names.

Common has earned a reputation in the hip-hop world as a conscious artist by embracing themes of love
Published September 13th 2011 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about One Day It'll All Make Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day It'll All Make Sense

Kimberly Hicks
First, I'd like to say the reason I purchased this book is because I'm a fan of Common's and has always enjoyed his music. He's what I consider one of the "clean rappers" and socially adept to rap about life as he sees it, and he's one hell of a poet. With that being said, it pains me to give his book a two-star rating.

I was extremely disappointed with this book, and it took me one week to read, so that, in and of itself, let me know immediately I didn't like it. It was a painful struggle to get
Libros Prohibidos
Tras la lectura, One day it’ll all make sense resulta ser exactamente lo que el título indicaba: un perfecto ejemplo de cómo hacer que al final todo cobre sentido en tu vida. No será el mejor libro que leáis, pero si os gusta Common no deberíais perdéroslo. Reseña completo en español:
Stephanie
I stuck this one through to the end on principle more than anything else. I got the book from the library after seeing Common's appearance on The Daily Show, but now I think that appearance was a show of political support (after the furor over Common's appearances at the White House) and not a result of Jon Stewart thinking this was a particularly good book. On the positive side, I learned a lot about rap and a little about Chicago's South Side. On the negative side, Common spends most of the bo ...more
Micah Smurthwaite
Jan 30, 2012 Micah Smurthwaite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bios, black-lit
You don't have to like hip-hop, you just have to appreciate openness and honesty. That's what Common's story is about - a spirit of openness to the world. Open to learning from books, people, and experiences. That openness allows new ideas to take root in his soul, and through the lens of those new values he his open to reexamining his life and iterating a better version of himself.

Paige
Jul 01, 2012 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw this book on my library's "new" table and the cover is one of my favorite colors. So I was intrigued. I flipped to a random page and the author was talking about a personal experience with racism. Well I could always stand to learn more on that front, I thought to myself, and decided to check the book out.

I'd never heard of Common before--mostly I steer clear of rap. I've definitely heard uplifting raps and some great hip-hop, but most of what I get exposed to in that genre is really negat
Bridget
Jul 10, 2012 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A REMINDER TO ALL: THIS REVIEW IS MY PERSONAL OPINION...IF YOU AGREE WITH IT..WONDERFUL...IF NOT...WELL, I GUESS WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON THINGS...THATS WHAT MAKES THIS WORLD SO WONDERFUL...WE ALL DONT HAVE TO THINK OR BELIEVE THE SAME...:0)

I enjoyed the book...I dont know what it is with some books..I will get bored right in the middle of it...Even if it's not really that boring...This one had some spots that made me skip a paragraph or two but in general, it was really good. I wouldn'
Toni
Aug 24, 2011 Toni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, 2011
Even though he is not quite 40, Common has written a thoughtful account of his life so far. He covers his growing up in Chicago, the decision to leave college to pursue his rap career, diversifying into acting, and his much publicized love life.

What really makes this book shine is his mother's input (she really should have been listed as co-author) and the letters that Common writes to loved ones at the beginning of each chapter. I loved that throughout the book as he shares his life journey an
Ebony
Oct 28, 2012 Ebony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hip-hop
The most insightful thing I learned from One Day It’ll All Make Sense is that I love Common’s mother. A lot. At first I thought it mad gimmicky to write a memoir with constant interruptions from one’s mother, but it really worked here. Their bond is for real, and I felt like I really received a 360 degree perspective on Common by hearing from his mother. I was also surprised by Common’s intimate introspections, but I appreciated it. I too, fell into the trap of thinking of him as a conscious rap ...more
jeremy
Nov 13, 2011 jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, memoir-bio
common (aka common sense) is a well-known hip hop mc and screen actor. born lonnie rashid lynn, jr., common first came into rap prominence in the early/mid 90s with his two earliest albums, "can i borrow a dollar?" and "resurrection." the chicago-bred rapper has garnered a loyal following, critical acclaim, and two grammy awards (his ninth studio album is due at the end of november).

one day it'll all make sense, also the name of common's third album, is his autobiography co-written with author a
Laura Garcia
Jun 11, 2012 Laura Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how raw Common was willing to be with his life and his feelings. There were a lot of things that struck me about this book. When he was talking about remembering where he was when O.J. Simpson has his famous car chase I was immediately taken back because I remeber exactly where I was when that happened. I was at Disneyland with my family and we were stuck in in LA because we couldn't get on the freeway to go back to San Diego. It's one of those moments where you remember that ...more
Chris
Nov 14, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely made the list as one of my favorites. Captured my attention from beginning to end. Loved the involvement his mother took part with this project. She'd give insight on her son's position as well as her personal feelings within various chapters. With each chapter, Common starts with a letter, delivering a journal-like touch. Such issues discussed were on Parenting (as a son and father), relationships (friends and love interests), spirituality (connecting with the higher power, ...more
Maya Hollinshead
Oct 09, 2011 Maya Hollinshead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. It showed that Common is a man who has issues, flaws and continues to work on being a better son, father and human being. He talks about growing up in the South Side of Chicago, being raised by a single mother (until she married when he was 7) and his struggles finding his way in the music business. He also talked about his love life (Erykah, you were DEAD WRONG!) and being the best father he can be (from afar). I had a lot of respect for him before the book, but it has ...more
Graylin
Oct 08, 2011 Graylin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a huge disappointment. I didn't expect it to be a juicy tell-all because Common does not present himself to be the kind of person who would write a book like that. However, I did expect good writing, an in-depth look into the events that helped shape him and a purpose. I got none of those. The writing was stale, his mother's intrusion was weird and I finished feeling like Common should have held off on the memoir for at least 20 more years.
Tishon
Oct 19, 2011 Tishon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is up there with Miles by Miles Davis. The structure of this book is what keeps it going. Common's passages are bookended by notes from his mother which add a fresh perspective to Common's already engaging narrative. I knocked off one star because there are a few times where it gets repetitive but it's still a great book. It shows that even within hip-hop there are multiple paths, motivations, and modes of expression.
Dani
Jan 26, 2012 Dani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVE Commmon... but he really should stick to his day job. I had a hard time with his mother's perspective being injected into the book, as did a few other people. I didn't buy HER book about HIM, I bought HIS book about HIMSELF, so her presence threw me off. It was an odd read. I got the impression that it would have made a better documentary than a book, because the themes became a bit repetitive.
Candace
Feb 26, 2015 Candace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It really was an awesome read. Common has really come to light as a true star these past few years so getting to know his humble beginnings was a treat. The last chapter and epilogue of the book will make you wish this was written in 2014 vs. 2011 just to get his commentary on the state of the Union as it currently stands.
Michael Jay
Feb 09, 2013 Michael Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smooth, insightful -- unique format: the man and the woman that raised him go back and forth in the monologues, with letters Common has written to people that are important to his development.
Marshel Hawkins-msis
Great read. His mom gave him so much wisdom.
Tina
Dec 18, 2011 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know he's a momma's boy and I greatly value the closeness to one's parent, but the mommy excerpts were a bit much. She should have been confined to the foreword. Her presence was especially felt by the very absence of her input when Common started talking about his sex life. Creepy.

I was also expecting him to relate some insight on how and when he began to change from a teenager running the streets in Chicago into a "conscious" rapper. It seemed one paragraph he was a hot-headed hoodlum and t
OOSA
Feb 10, 2013 OOSA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book of Life

You may not know who Rashid Lonnie Lynn is, but if you've listened to the radio, saw a movie, or even watched television, you know him as Common, a rapper and actor from the Southside of Chicago. What many may not be aware of is that Common is more than rhymes and beats. An activist, son, father and friend, Common opens up about his life and the many challenges he's faced.

Through personal letters, Common introduces the reader to his main topic. Then his mother, Dr. Mahalia Ann Hines,
Della S.white
Jun 24, 2012 Della S.white rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don't have to like hip-hop; you just have to appreciate openness and honesty. That's what Common's story is about - a spirit of openness to the world. Open to learning from books, people, and experiences. That openness allows new ideas to take root in his soul, and through the lens of those new values he is open to reexamining his life and iterating a better version of himself.

Common is a great rapper (Jay-Z raps a verse and says, "I wanna rhyme like Common"), but more importantly, he is a p
Tyler Dykema
Feb 21, 2014 Tyler Dykema rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Common fans, fans of inspirational stories, fans of spiritual stories
Recommended to Tyler by: Fan of Common's previous work
It took me way to long to read this book, but at least in part, it was my own fault. I did find myself a little bored after about the first third of the book due to the fact that sometimes Common tends to get off subject. But by the end of the book I was wholeheartedly into it as it gains more focus as it moves along.

Common paints vivid pictures in a vignette style memoir where each chapter marks a different stage in his life. He uses a series of letters written to different influential figures
Jessi
Nov 03, 2011 Jessi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know much about common- I've seen a few things he's acted in, and I've heard maybe one of his songs. When there was so much controversy this year about his appearance at the White House, I was confused- even with my tiny amount of knowledge about this artist, I knew that he wasn't "vile" as some in the media portrayed him. I decided to give his book a read so I could learn a little bit more about him, even if I don't particularly care for his style of music.
I think what I liked most abou
Tiffany
Jan 31, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book commands expansion of your mind beyond the perimeters of hip-hop and into the soul of a man. The historical hip-hop facts surrounding this memoir provide insight to the genre and music industry whilst maintaining a very human element to the chronology.

It is what Common (Rashid) shares beyond his career in the music and film industries however, that make this book. His relationships with family, friends, and lovers, transcends racial and socioeconomic barriers. As the reader you are ea
Korey Silas
May 21, 2012 Korey Silas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

In his autobiography One Day It'll All Make Sense (2011),the rapper Common, AKA Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr., captures readers with a detailed look into his life. One Day It'll All Make Sense gives a look into Common's life as a boy, a teen, an entertainer, and a man. The name Rashid literally means "guide to the right path" in Arabic. Common has definitely used his lyrics to be a guide to the right path, by showing listeners through his music that it is okay to be critical about the world and the co

Fathima
May 01, 2016 Fathima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really Common fan, I am not familiar with his music. But I found this memoir pretty enjoyable and decent to read. Although quite repetitive at times, there is also times when his poetic flair shines through. It is clear that Common is a true musician who keeps family and faith close to him. So, while this may not be the most perfect memoir, it is one that is truly heartwarming because his reflections on his faith, his mom, his music, as well as his beloved city Chicago.
Heather
Jul 23, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jason
I don’t know what I was expecting when I bought a copy of Common’s new book back in September. Honestly, buying this book was just another way for me to support a man who has been one of my favorite rappers since 1995–the year I was introduced to his music and bought his second album, Resurrection. I’m not typically a fan of celebrity memoirs, and although One Day It’ll All Make Sense was co-written with Adam Bradley, I wasn’t sure about Common’s book-writing abilities. The man writes and spits ...more
Kevin Eleven
May 11, 2015 Kevin Eleven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Common's autobiography, we learn about the man behind the rapper, actor, poet and entertainment media personality. The book goes back and forth between the childhood of Rashid Lonnie Lynn and the superstar that we now know today as Common. Through his raps, as well as his personal experiences, readers will get a great sense of what makes Common tick and how One Day It'll All Make Sense.
Nate
Nov 01, 2015 Nate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt like this memoir was as much about Common as it was his mother's ability to raise a child. The structure was very strange -- several chapters began with a letter from mom, parenting him well into adulthood and reflecting on all the good decisions she made to bring such a saint into this world.

Common is an amazing, inspiring artist, but this memoir was disappointing.
Jalani Ligons
Feb 23, 2013 Jalani Ligons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book this book because I looked at it and realized it was about Common and how he worked his way to becoming the famous man he is today. This is a story about how Common Sense went from his rough childhood to becoming a man with excellent talents. As he goes through his life he teaches and learns many moral lessons that are taught from others and are learned from himself. My favorite quote in this book is when Common says " He was the guy who influences the guy who influences the wo ...more
  • The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created a Culture That Rewrote the Rules of the New Economy
  • Life and Def: Sex, Drugs, Money, + God
  • Is Marriage for White People?: How the African American Marriage Decline Affects Everyone
  • The Emancipation of Robert Sadler: The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave
  • My Infamous Life: The Autobiography of Mobb Deep's Prodigy
  • Inside A Thug's Heart
  • Fail Up: 20 Lessons on Building Success from Failure
  • Brother West: Living and Loving Out Loud, A Memoir
  • Our Black Year: One Family's Quest to Buy Black in America's Racially Divided Economy
  • Check the Technique: Liner Notes for Hip-Hop Junkies
  • After the Dance: My Life With Marvin Gaye
  • Take Back the Land: Land, Gentrification & the Umoja Village Shantytown
  • Dirty South: OutKast, Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, and the Southern Rappers Who Reinvented Hip-Hop
  • PowerNomics : The National Plan to Empower Black America
  • Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-Hop Culture
  • How to Get Out of Your Own Way
  • Sara Baartman and the Hottentot Venus: A Ghost Story and a Biography
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr., better known by his stage name Common (previously Common Sense), is an American hip-hop artist and actor.
More about Common...

“Maybe I write because I’ve learned to show certain parts of my heart on the page that I still struggle to capture in speech.” 22 likes
“If you hang around with nine fools, then your sure to be the tenth.” 0 likes