Start by marking “The Gift of Rest: Rediscovering the Beauty of the Sabbath” as Want to Read:
The Gift of Rest: Rediscovering the Beauty of the Sabbath

The Gift of Rest: Rediscovering the Beauty of the Sabbath

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Rediscovering the Beauty of Sabbath Rest

Our bodies and souls were created to rest—regularly—and when they do, we experience heightened productivity, improved health, and more meaningful relationships.

In these pages you’ll find wonderful stories of the senator’s spiritual journey, as well as special Sabbath experiences with politic...more
Published August 16th 2011 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of Rest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift of Rest

Linda Thibodeau
Loved, loved,loved this book. I have strong Christian beliefs so I am not converting to Judaism but Joe Lieberman's book showed me that I am missing out on the gifts of the sabbath. I read it and now feel lonely for a sabbath, if that makes any sense. I learned so much about slowing down and taking time for God, self, family, friends. One of these days I will create a sabbath like this for myself. I also got to know Joe and what a man he is. Writes beautifully. Made me cry.
Lisianna
Love the message of this book. Senator Lieberman does an eloquent job of intertwining his history, religion, and message into a mostly easy to read (some of the Jewish words are difficult). And, I love his message: regardless, of your religion, taking a day of rest for the body, soul, mind and spirit, using the time to reconnect to ones God, self, family and community is something we should all do. I have been a Christian my whole life, yet I've never noticed that the first part of the 4th comma...more
Jane
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!THIS BOOK IS FOR EVERYBODY!!!
One of the best books,I have read in a long time!!
it is thoughtful, practical and interesting.
Lots of great pointers about how to make a person's life much more meaningful and purposeful.
I borrowed this from the libary where I simply found it on the shelves but there are so many useful insights in it I need to get my own mark-up copy. I am not Jewish BTW. It's useful for anyone.
Rest, naps, family, quiet, learning and good food are something even...more
Mistyblue
I've never been a huge fan of Senator Lieberman, and I definitely didn't vote for him. :) But I truly enjoyed this book, written to express the Senator's opinions about keeping the Sabbath day holy. I enjoyed learning about the Jewish culture and pondering the ideas proffered. While, I don't agree with Mr. Lieberman's views any better than I did before reading his words, my respect for him as a man has greatly risen. A book I would recommend to everyone.
Michale
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, because I was very uncomfortable when he began discussing religion publicly. But this is well written and compassionate, and his approaches to Shabbat and Tfilah are very similar to my own, even if I don't agree with everything he says or does. Would be a good book to recommend to someone who wanted to know more about what being Jewishly observant is like.
Hannah Kartagener
A wonderful book! I enjoyed it very much:

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

We honor Shabbat by preparing ourselves and our homes beforehand.

Preparations for Shabbat Eve- Flowers, Tidy up, Dining Room dinner, Plan meals ahead, Invite friends sometimes, set aside special Shabbat treats, Set reading aside for Sabbath hours, bath/shower.

Marital Focus: Read Song of Songs, Dress nicely, relax, date night, at home date night even, welcome your spouse to enjoy the Sabbath.

TV, computers, cell ph...more
Carl Kessler
The subtitle of this interesting little book by former Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman is, "rediscovering the beauty of the Sabbath." Senator Lieberman is an Orthodox Jew but he wrote this book to appeal to Christians as well. The book jacket even boasts blurbs from folks like the Catholic Church's Archbishop of New York, Timothy Dolan, who notes, "As Pope John Paul II taught: we cannot work with God all week, if we do not rest with God on His Sabbath! Senator Lieberman’s reflections help each...more
Angela
I often find myself feeling as though I'm a victim of the responsibilities of my job. So to read a book by a senator who's found a way to establish & maintain a sacred, weekly sabbath is fascinating to me! That, in and of itself, makes this a good book to be considered. It's written by a man with an orthodox Jewish history who desires to raise up the next generation of sabbath-observers and even bless gentiles with the gift of rest. That being said, it paints a clear picture of the elements...more
Mandy
I can't decide between 3 or 4 stars, so I guess I will just give it 4 stars. I first heard of this book when I was flipping through channels and saw Joe Lieberman on some news talk show and I heard him say something along the lines of, "if our country would observe the Sabbath and make it a day of rest..." but didn't hear him finish his thought, but saw he was promoting this book so I was curious and impressed to see a politician take a religious stand like keeping the Sabbath day holy.

I went in...more
Geb
The Senator shares his commitment to Sabbath observance as he understands it.
In spite of his rigorous schedule as a Senator, he shares how he placed importance on taking time once a week to set aside secular activities, and focus on his walk with God through his sabbath rituals. His book gives us an interesting insight into the Jewish Way of life and the emphasis they place on what he calls the The Gift Of Rest.

He gives a literary entrance into the specifics of how they observe the Sabbath in...more
Carl
A charming little book, which tells how the author, through his life, has found joy and peace through his observance of the Jewish Sabbath.

Senator Lieberman laments that the practice of taking a day off for rest and reflection has nearly disappeared, both among Christians and Jews.

The book also has some little interesting bits of information. One is that there is a difference between sundown and nightfall (three stars visible), which makes some sense after you think about it. The Sabbath begins...more
Kris Siegel
This book has a beautiful message for everyone. Taking a break from computers, phones, and work is restorative and necessary. Here's a quote: "The truth is that we - and the world - will survive just fine if we stop working or shopping and stay home with our families one day a week. Our lives will continue. Our careers will go forward...The fact is that none of us is essential every minute of the week. I am here to testify that laying your work aside for one day a week is a responsible and ultim...more
Beth Schultz
Wonderful and insightful. Many ideas for the Sabbath even for the christians
Becky Roper
Senator Lieberman takes us step by step through a Jewish Sabbath day and shows what each part of the Sabbath is about and tries to teach. It was interesting to learn more about Jewish beliefs and traditions, but it did get a little long for me. The best part of the book is a page at the end of each chapter where he gives suggestions on incorporating the theme of the chapter into your own Sabbath practices. I do have a new level of respect for the Senator, and hope there are others like him servi...more
Angela
I gave this 4 stars because I love the subject matter and his courage in expressing this view in a world that is increasingly secular. His writing isn't smooth in some places and some the the exact details of the prayers get slightly long, but I love his enthusiasm about keeping the Sabbath day holy. A beautiful tribute to a life with values and self-control. I also liked his personal insights. I also appreciated his thought and explanations of instances when he felt he needed to "break the Sabb...more
Winona
nice to be reminded about the value of the Sabbath to many faiths
I wasn't as interested in specifics of Jewish observance as in application to my life.
Beth Jusino
A good book to read on a quiet Saturday afternoon. Lieberman stays mostly ecumenical while walking the reader through the traditional Jewish-American Sabbath, and makes a good case for why an obligatory rest from the everyday is as important now as it was thousands of years ago. The book is short and tends to repeat itself, but it is a good blend of Washington anecdotes and thoughtful histories of the text and traditions that make the Sabbath.
Jenni
I found this fascinating in learning how others observe the sabbath and why it's important to them...but it's a slow read.
Vicki
A beautiful book about the tradition and practice of honoring the Sabbath, which has become somewhat lost in our secular culture. It's emphasis on the importance for our health, well-being and relationships is significant, regardless of the religion you practice. In our hectic, fast-paced world of distractions, this is an important message. Be still....
Sara Cat
Well, it was perfectly ok. Judaism for Dummies, sort of, but pleasant, and probably a good guide to Shabbat for the non-Jewish world. Otherwise, it kind of left me wondering if Lieberman was a lot less intelligent than I thought or this was intentionally a simplified, popular book. Probably a lot of Christians would like it.
Linda Abraham
I enjoyed the book, but at various times found it a little slow. I found it interesting that he took a completely utilitarian view of the Sabbath, as something everyone could benefit from. I also believe, however, that ultimately, the Sabbath has to be experienced to be understood and appreciated. You can't really describe it.
Ali B
The Jewish sabbath, Shabbat, is more than just 25 hours of rest. It's a day of holiness, where families invite God into their homes. Technology is turned off, elegant meals are served and families come together. Lieberman's writing and praise for Shabbat will cause you to start creating your own day of rest.
Tony
I like studying aspects of the Jewish faith. This was a great book to read about why they do certain things in their Sabbath rituals. This actually helped me focus my understanding of the Sabbath as we teach it. I've read it a few times actually and have not gotten board at all.
Tiz
Was shocked at how dry his writing is! It was a chore to read this, but the message was what I was after: bringing Shabbat into your home. We are in the process of making Shabbat a more noticeably observed occurrence at our home and this was a nice supplement.
Fritz
This book was a great one to start off the year. You can tell right away that Sen. Lieberman truly draws inspiration and strength from his Sabbath observance. And I am sure I can apply some of his lessons to improve my own (Christian) Sabbaths, too.
Karen Giauque
Another book group book. Joe Lieberman details the Jewish Sabbath and how/why he lives it. I liked that it means a lot to him and his family. He seems to be a kind, gentle husband, father, and grandfather and his tone is upbeat and heartfelt.
Claudine Cable
Impressive to see how a very busy man in a demanding position put the importance of the Sabbath and family as a priority. It was interesting to learn more of the rituals and beliefs of an observant Jewish family. I have a lot of respect for that.
Raewyn
thoroughly recommend this one to Jew/Non Jew Christian/non Christian it is an excellent example of why we have been given a "day of rest" whatever you perceive that to be, this one will make you think and then implement.
Ashley
This was a interesting read. It has definitely given me some ideas on how to improve my sabbath observance as a christian, to really get the most out of the day of rest and worship.
Karen
I'm not Jewish, religious, or a fan of Joe Lieberman (any more), so it's somewhat remarkable that this book resonated with me. An enjoyable read about life's simple pleasures.
Dancing at the Edge:From Chuckles to Chills Thoes Amazing Tables Dancing at the Edge: From Chuckles to Chills Sentimental Journeys: Images from a Lifetime of Observations Those Amazing Tables: Teaching Multiplication Through Patterns and Color Strips

“God gave us the Sabbath as a gift, and He meant for us to enjoy it. We begin the holy day with darkness so that we can more fully appreciate the light of the Sabbath day when it dawns.” 0 likes