Start by marking “The Wholesome Baby Food Guide: Over 150 Easy, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes from Purees to Solids” as Want to Read:

Baby food doesn't need to be tasetless, processed and in a jar. It can be fresh, vibrant and delicious. In THE WHOLESOME BABY FOOD GUIDE, Maggie Meade will show you how easy it is to feed your baby homemade goodness.

Based on the top-rated baby food website, THE WHOLESOME BABY FOOD GUIDE is filled with carefully researched information on nutrition, allergies, myths, and th
Published February 21st 2012 by Grand Central Life & Style (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wholesome Baby Food Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wholesome Baby Food Guide

Jessica Thomson
Mar 24, 2013 Jessica Thomson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby, cooking
This is a fantastic book for ideas for making your own baby food. I bought it when my kiddo was about eight months and I was stumped about moving on from straightforward fruit or vegetable purees. This is an excellent resource for adding spices, creating combinations, and adding meats and dairy. I jumped into a few recipes and then went back and read the earlier chapters. I was glad I went back and read the first part, it answers all those nagging questions and provides great tips and lots of in ...more
Ashley
Jan 07, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting-baby, food
Good, non-pushy, seemingly well-researched overview of introducing solids to your baby. After doing my own research, I was pleased to see that the author wasn't a fan of rice cereal either. I also like that she talks about introducing solids to babies between 4-6 months as simply tasting, not replacing the breastmilk or formula that should still be baby's main source of nutrition. Tasting makes this introduction a lot simpler and more fun.

The first half of the book is dedicated to discussing sol
Christina
May 08, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby
I love this book! I'm recommending it to all my patients at work!! It explains how to prepare food and what to give at various age groups. In general you blend the food and freeze the food in ice cube trays. Each cube is about an ounce. Store the cubes in freezer bags and thaw out when needed! Much of the frozen food is good for about 2 months. The book also has a website. The website just lists recipes , the book categorizes the recipes by age. Goes along with much of the AAP food recommendatio ...more
Ellen
Jun 17, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-cooking
This book is a wonder. It explains in minute detail how to start feeding a baby solid food. Perfect for a neurotic mom like me!
Slayermel
Oct 17, 2013 Slayermel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents
This was a fantastic reference book for me, I very much wanted to make my own baby food and with the help of this book it was a great success. My daughter loved the food and it was so easy to follow the instructions. After having done it I can't understand why more people don't, it worked out to be so much cheaper for our budget and took hardly any time at all. The book gave lots of great tips on making multiple batches at once to also conserve on energy as well as your personal time.

The book w
Tracy
Jun 07, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I thought it was a good book. In truth I only read half, since the other half is just recipes for different stages. The half that I did read was very informative. I really enjoyed the information of the nutrient breakdown to see how much a baby really needs of zinc, iron, etc. I enjoyed that since I don't know how much my little guy should be getting and it is nice to have some guidelines. The one drawback I find with this book, is if you follow her website, you will know about 75% of the things ...more
Jen Lynn
Jul 26, 2015 Jen Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2016-reviewed
This is a great book for anyone who wants to make their own baby food. The first part is informative, with general info on infant feeding, including nutritional info, how to introduce solids, info on poop and how to treat diarrhea and constipation, general info on making baby food and storing it, etc. The rest of the book contains recipes and tips for making baby food, grouped by age. The recipes start out easy and increase in complexity throughout. There's a wide variety of cooking techniques a ...more
Andrea
Apr 05, 2016 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This book was great at helping me make recipes. I knew once I had my baby that I wanted to make her food myself. I was so excited to have my daughter taste new flavors but I didn't know how to cook some of the food. This book helped provide me with tips and recipes as to how to do it. There are some food combinations that I wouldn't normally have thought of but after you make them they make complete sense. I highly recommend this book to any parents out there looking for some help introducing th ...more
Julie
Nov 14, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Very informative and easy to read. The author compiles a lot of information and deals very fairly with a variety of views and opinions. I really appreciated that she was nonjudgmental and not preachy. She presents facts and occasionally shares her personal experience, but keeps her own opinions about potentially judgement-heavy topics like organic vs. regular and breast milk vs. formula completely to herself. Also, the recipes sound completely doable and delicious.
Jillian
Dec 10, 2016 Jillian rated it really liked it
A well-organized, refreshingly written guide packed with clear, helpful information. I've only tried a few of the recipes so far (so I'll try to remember to return and make updates here), but I've already learned quite a bit, and not just about baby feeding stages, but tips and trivia about different produce as well.
Michelle
Mar 22, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Great guide for parents to navigate the sometimes precarious realm of making healthy food for little ones. I found the overall tone very inviting, in a kind of "you can do it" way. The recipes range from basic (pureed fruit) to somewhat fancy (add some curry, he'll love it!) which is helpful for parents who may be afraid to add "adult" seasonings/tastes to their children's food (me!)
Brittany Hodson
Feb 18, 2014 Brittany Hodson rated it really liked it
I feel so much more confident after reading this book about feeding solids to my baby. I feel like it's complete information and I won't need to research elsewhere. It is filled with tons of practical and easy recipes my baby will surely love.
Rachel
Jul 11, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crazied baby people
Recommended to Rachel by: Wholesome Baby Food web site
Shelves: baby
So looking forward to making every single one of these yummy recipes for Vi. Great, easy, fresh recipes for all stages, including family dinners. I wouldn't be scared to taste a single one. :) Bonus: There is an autumn smoothie recipe that I will be making for myself, no doubt about it!
Leah
Jan 08, 2015 Leah rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful resource for first time mothers who are interested in making their own baby food. It is easy to use and well researched. I have found myself recommending it to many other moms. Definitely a keeper for the shelves!
Sarah Wilson
Dec 05, 2016 Sarah Wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-stuff, 2016
I'm going to say I finished it, just to get it out of my currently reading list. lol! All that's left are the recipes, and I'll get to them as I get to them. It's a great resource, though... I just wish my kid would eat anything!
Amy
Mar 31, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
I loved this website when I was learning to make food for my first born! Am ecstatic there is now a book with all the recipes!
Kimberly Mccune
Feb 23, 2015 Kimberly Mccune rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, parenting, cookbooks
By far the best book about introducing solids and helping your child to become a healthy and adventurous foodie.
Monique
Sep 17, 2012 Monique rated it really liked it
Love how easy and accessible she makes making your own baby food! We using the stage 2 recipies right now and I'm so excited to try them all!

Adeline Miller
Jul 20, 2012 Adeline Miller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting-such
I loved this book. It was a great resource for learning how to make and feed healthy food to my baby. I highly recommend it to other mothers of infants.
Dan
Feb 28, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it
Handy info about what to feed your kid and when, but the recipes left something to be desired.
Michline Fiordelisi
Great book! I've used it for both my children and will continue to use it for the delicious recipes!!!
Mar 10, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
love it!!!!
Teandra
Jul 17, 2013 Teandra rated it it was amazing
Really love this book. Full of quick tips on food and easy, yummy recipes my baby loves and I would have never thought to pair together. Would like to buy.
Laura rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2013
Jan Hobbs
Jan Hobbs rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Dawn Gessner
Dawn Gessner rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Hashim
Hashim rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Brandy
Brandy rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
  • Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months
  • The Pregnancy Countdown Book: Nine Months of Practical Tips, Useful Advice, and Uncensored Truths
  • The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet: Know What Goes Into Every Bite with More Than 200 of the Most Deliciously Nutritious Homemade Baby Food Recipes-Includes More Than 60 Purees Your Baby Will Love
  • The Mother of all Pregnancy Books
  • Your Child's Self-Esteem: Step-by-Step Guidelines for Raising Responsible, Productive, Happy Children
  • Weelicious: 140 Fast, Fresh, and Easy Recipes
  • The Best Homemade Kids' Lunches on the Planet: Make Lunches Your Kids Will Love with More Than 200 Deliciously Nutritious Meal Ideas
  • Start Fresh: Your Child's Jump Start to Lifelong Healthy Eating
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution: One Test Kitchen, 40 Slow Cookers, 200 Fresh Recipes
  • Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain
  • The World According to Mimi Smartypants
  • Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know  to Do It Once and Do It Right
  • Do Chocolate Lovers Have Sweeter Babies?: The Surprising Science of Pregnancy
  • How to Rock Your Baby: And Other Timeless Tips for Modern Moms
  • Parents Need to Eat Too: Nap-Friendly Recipes, One-Handed Meals, and Time-Saving Kitchen Tricks for New Parents
  • Baby and Toddler On the Go Cookbook: Fresh, Homemade Foods To Take Out And About
  • The Fertility Diet