Start by marking “Admiral Nimitz: The Commander of the Pacific Ocean Theater” as Want to Read:
Admiral Nimitz: The Commander of the Pacific Ocean Theater

Admiral Nimitz: The Commander of the Pacific Ocean Theater

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews

Chester Nimitz was an admiral’s Admiral, considered by many to be the greatest naval leader of the last century. After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Nimitz assembled the forces, selected the leaders, and - as commander of all U.S. and Allied air, land, and sea forces in the Pacific Ocean - led the charge one island at a time, one battle at a time, toward victory. A brillian

Published January 3rd 2012 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Admiral Nimitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Admiral Nimitz

Darrell
Jun 14, 2015 Darrell rated it really liked it
Admiral Nimitz is my favorite leader of WWII. His leadership was key to the U.S. success in the defeat of Japan. The area of his command was vast and spread out against a superior naval enemy. He was able to facilitate key victories like Midway and Leyte Gulf. He also had the ability to facilitate his command with other, more boisterous commanders, like MacArthur, Halsey and King to achieve his goals.
After the war, he was also played a key role in the current military structure including help
Thomas
Feb 25, 2012 Thomas rated it it was amazing
I got this book free from the Goodreads give away program. I felt it was an excellent story of an humble man. Admiral Nimitz was not one to seek the lime light. He was a true leader of men. He valued his men and demonstrated that to them. I am a WWII buff and this book had a little different approach to the history of that time. It was more about Naval history, strategies of the pacific war and the huge military egos involved. It addressed the infighting between the men in Washington DC and the ...more
Andrew
Apr 19, 2016 Andrew rated it it was ok
There are better books to put Nimitz in the context of World War II, particularly Borneman's book "The Admirals". Harris does a good job of indicating the internecine battles of the American military during and after the war.

A noteworthy part of the book lists "Nimitz Three Questions" that were hung in the admiral's office:
1. Is the proposed operation likely to succeed?
2. What might be the consequences of failure?
3. Is it in the realm of practicability of materials and supplies?

Nimitz own checkl
Doug
Mar 15, 2012 Doug rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I enjoyed this book. I have read MANY different books about WWII and specifically the Pacific Theater. None of them have really addresses the man behind the plan. If you are looking for details of the battles and ships, this is not your book. If, however, you would like to learn more about the character of Adm. Nimitz, this book does a VERY good job, by using stories and dialog from his life. An enjoyable read.
Daniel
Feb 05, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
Brayton Harris's biography of Chester Nimitiz is a short (213 pages) and easy read about the man who headed American naval efforts in the Pacific during World War II. Harris has a clean and expressive writing style and favors the anecdote in describing Nimitz's impressive career. Particularly interesting were stories about Nimitz's time as a young officer in the Philippines (where his XO was John S. ("Slew") McCain) and his time, following WWII, as Chief of Naval Operations.[return][return]The b ...more
Jon
Jun 17, 2012 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2012
I thought it was well-written but too short. It seemed Harris was in a hurry with some of the more potentially interesting stories about Nimitz that could have been told with more depth. Nonetheless, I learned more insights into this man that I share a bloodline with and felt that Harris served him well. My only issue is that I think he deserves more coverage but appreciate his story being told once more in these contemporary times. Nimitz is a study in magnanimity and humility with a careful do ...more
Roger
Mar 07, 2016 Roger rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview of a strong naval commander, who was very modest about his own contributions throughout his career.
Pei-jean Lu
Aug 11, 2014 Pei-jean Lu rated it really liked it
Compelling biography of the naval commander in charge of America's pacific fleet
Lee
Jun 30, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it
There were times when things were a bit dull, but Admiral Nimitz did not leave the autobiography or notes of his life for the world to know who he was. He was determined people understand that HE didn't win the war - the men on the front lines did. There was no need for a lot of brouhaha about him. It should all go to the soldiers, sailors, marines, pilots, and their teammates. He was a true class act, and I'm glad the author was determined to get that point across.
Cheryl
Feb 27, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Beautiful. I love our armed forces. I'm learning to love history.

I probably learned more about World War II in this one book than I did in all of my high school career. That probably sounds terrible, but I didn't enjoy history at all. I loathed history. Harris took a subject I didn't like and made it interesting for a good 256 pages. War strategies. Anecdotes. Photographs. It's wonderful.
Alex McCabe
Feb 06, 2012 Alex McCabe rated it liked it
Shelves: history
The book reads a bit like a story of WWII where Nimitz is the main character and commenting on the events. Would have enjoyed more analysis of the events and less mundane details and anecdotes from Nimitz's side. A good read, especially for someone who isn't a hardcore WWII buff, but I'd skip it in favor of the E.B. Potter biography if you get the chance.
David
May 05, 2012 David rated it liked it
A workmanlike, well-researched portrait of a genuine American naval legend. Harris is a better scholar than writer, but the book moves along nicely in chronological order and gives the reader some insight into the political intrigues that define military life at the highest levels.

Some nice shots at MacArthur, too.
Lee
May 06, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it
An easy, quick read. It was strong on personal anecdotes, even winkling out rare occasions in which Nimitz let slip some frustrations with his colleagues in the high command.

There was a running theme of press relations through it, which I have not seen many places.

Preston
Mar 22, 2012 Preston rated it it was ok
A decent book that gave a pretty good insight on the life of Nimitz. It was a little boring at times and the author would sometimes incorrectly use words to try to appear eloquent in his writing so that was somewhat irritating.
Marilyn Willis
Jul 30, 2013 Marilyn Willis rated it liked it
Interesting book. I don't know much about the Military and I learned a lot by reading this book. Adm. Nimitz was a really good guy and very smart.
Sharon
Feb 17, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won a copy through Goodreads' First Reads program.

Superb biography of a down to earth hero who could have been your neighbor.
Rob
Nov 14, 2012 Rob rated it really liked it
If you are a Navy veteran, this book is a must; excellent read!
David
David added it
May 31, 2016
Jeffery Rhoades
Jeffery Rhoades rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
john p grigsby
john p grigsby rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Ruth Babich
Ruth Babich rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
John Susi
John Susi rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Jessica Perez
Jessica Perez marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Mike Gilmer
Mike Gilmer marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
James B Brenneman
James B Brenneman rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Jack Floyd
Jack Floyd rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015