Carl at the Dog Show

Carl at the Dog Show

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Madeleine’s mom has to help Carl's Cousin, Gamble, get ready to compete in his event at the dog show, and she tells Carl and Madeleine to meet her by the show ring. Do Carl and Madeleine listen? Of course not! They immediately set off to explore--they help groom other dogs, have a snack, test out dog beds, create an agility test of their own--all with hilarious results and...more
40 pages
Published January 17th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Carl at the Dog Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carl at the Dog Show

Christina Baldridge
RachelH. Hughes
Carl at the Dog Show is a wordless picture book about a rottweiler named Carl and his adventures at the dog show. The only words are on the first page where a mother is telling her young daughter and Carl to keep out of trouble. The little girl then hops on Carl's back and rides him into the dog show. Carl proceeds to get groomed, look at dog beds, play with other dogs, and do tricks. He is awarded best babysitter for watching over the little girl. Another dog receives a champion award, but on t...more
Virginia
Feb 28, 2014 Virginia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids
Recommended to Virginia by: Myself
I again really liked this book. I read it for my author study assignment in my Children's Literature class. It was really cute. I love the detail that Alexandra Day puts in to her illustrations and the attention to detail that Carl has, always getting Madeline back on time. They are the cutest pair and Carl is the best babysitter ever.
Emily Brown
Beautifully illustrated picture book with very few words. Almost an I Spy. Provides lots of room for discussion between adults and young readers. Love how it has the little index in the back with pictures of types of dogs and says, "can you find these in the book?" It gets kids to read the book all over again. Cute.
Meg McGregor
Carl is every Mother's dream babysitter. In this book,
Carl and Madeleine go to the Dog Show to watch his brother, Gamble! How I wish my little one had a dog like him when she was growing up. Perfect to read at any age!
Shelli
Not the same humor and near catastrophes that I have come to expect from this beautifully illustrated mostly pictures picture book series. However, Carl is still that lovable big dog that wins the readers heart.
Carriek
This dog show is full of action and detail about the happenings of a dog show. Included at the end is "Be a dog detective!", which teaches the reader about different breeds as they go back to find them in the book.
Lisa Fabiano
Carl fans and dog lovers will enjoy this story about a day at the Dog Show. A great dog glossary at the end encourages young eyes to search the illustrations for various dog breeds.

Zann
I love the artwork in each of these books! Great stories told mostly through pictures. Carl is the best babysitter!!
Kim
Great to see Carl again, and as always, fun to watch the adventures unfold.
Edward Sullivan
A book that Carl fans and dog lovers will certainly enjoy.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Carl fans will enjoy this one as well as Dog show fans.
Christine Johnson
It's Carl, what else do you have to know????
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Kiyuo
Kiyuo marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Alexandra Day is the pseudonym for Sandra Louise Woodward Darling. She is the author of Good Dog, Carl and the rest of the beloved Carl books, including Carl Goes Shopping, Carl’s Christmas, Carl’s Birthday and Carl’s Snowy Afternoon. Darling was born in 1941 in Cincinnati, Ohio, to a large and close-knit family. Painting was a popular family recreation, and almost every family excursion included...more
More about Alexandra Day...
Good Dog, Carl Carl's Christmas Carl Goes Shopping Carl's Afternoon in the Park Carl's Birthday