Start by marking “The Monster Returns” as Want to Read:
The Monster Returns

The Monster Returns (Jeremy and the Monster)

Jeremy thought he'd seen the last of his monster when he sent him away with a one-way bus ticket. But suddenly there's a knock on the door . . . and the monster has returned!
Jeremy tries to decide what to do. Is it possible that the monster is in need of a friend?
Peter McCarty brings his popular monster back in style, with a sequel that will have kids drawing their own lit
Published January 31st 2012 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Monster Returns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster Returns

Ish by Peter H. ReynoldsThe Dot by Peter H. ReynoldsBeautiful Oops! by Barney SaltzbergNot a Box by Antoinette PortisGreen by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Great Books for the Elementary Art Room
98th out of 143 books — 32 voters
T is for Terrible by Peter McCartyHondo & Fabian by Peter McCartyJeremy Draws a Monster by Peter McCartyHenry in Love by Peter McCartyChloe by Peter McCarty
Best of Peter McCarty
7th out of 13 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

John Sullivan
Apr 16, 2013 John Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Monster Returns is the sequel to Jeremy Draws a Monster. After being sent away in the first book, the monster goes back to Jeremy's house; knowing that the monster is bossy, Jeremy teams up with some kids from his neighborhood to draw monster friends. The illustrations and writing are high-quality, just as they are in the first book. It is nice to see in this book that Jeremy has friends now, and that he plays outside, because in the first book, the boy is lonely and stays inside drawing. ...more
Paula
Jul 30, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
I love Jeremy Draws a Monster and was excited that McCarty decided to write a sequel. Ah, yes, the Monster is back in this story. As many sequels do, it falls just short of impressing me as much as the first story. It's still a must-read if you loved Jeremy & the Monster in the first book.
Tracie
Feb 02, 2012 Tracie rated it really liked it
Adorable!
Linda Atkinson
Jan 27, 2012 Linda Atkinson rated it really liked it
A creative solution to solving the ongoing monster problem;-)
The little boy in this story is busy drawing when a paper airplane flies in through his window. On the airplane is scribbled a note written by the monster he had drawn into life in the previous book. The little boy rushes around and calls the people below for help. He tells them his monster is coming back and that he needs them to all draw monsters. They each draw a different color and shaped monster. Each monster mirrors the artist in the colors that they are. When the little boy's first ...more
Barbara
The books of this author/illustrator are growing on me, and I am starting to appreciate the way he sees the world. In this sequel to Jeremy Draws a Monster, the monster that the artistic Jeremy managed to banish with a one-way bus ticket has returned, and he wants to meet Jeremy. The quick-thinking boy invites his neighbors over, hands them fancy pens, and they go to work. By the time the monster arrives, the walls are filled with elaborate monsters of every color imaginable, giving him the ...more
Tasha
Feb 21, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This sequel to Jeremy Draws a Monster continues the story of Jeremy, who is continuing to draw up in his room alone. Then he got a note from his monster saying that he should draw a compass and a telescope and look out the window. When he looked through the telescope, he saw his monster! The monster immediately called on the phone and announced he was bored and headed over to Jeremy’s house. Jeremy had to think quickly. He invited all of the children playing outside up to his room, gave them ...more
Karen Arendt
Feb 11, 2012 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
a sequel to Jeremy Draws a Monster. In the sequel, the monster send a paper airplane through the window to Jeremy telling him that he will be returning. Jeremy invites some friends up to his room to prepare for the monter's arrival. The story implies that JEremy does not want the monster to return, until the very end of the story when there is a surprise. The illustrations are very colorful against a stark whit background which allows the characters in the story to stand out. A great book for ...more
Janet
May 06, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I read these two books at story time for a kindergarten group. They're both wonderful books, more about imagination than scary monster-dom. As a transition, I asked them what they thought, "where did the monster go?" Pretty interesting responses - "Out-of-town" (that didn't count, it was in the book) Then the shoutouts happened... (first, tentatively) Mexico? then to name a few more... Honduras, China, Hollywood! These kids were so cool.
Rachel
I enjoyed this sequel to "Jeremy Draws a Monster" better than the original. Jeremy gets a call from his monster, the one he sent away in the first book, saying that he's bored and he's coming back home. So Jeremy calls up the kids on the street and gives them magic pens to draw their own monster with, so the monster has some friends to play with. Jeremy also gains some friends. Love the illustrations. Recommended for ages 1-7, 4 stars.
Olivia
Aug 11, 2015 Olivia rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The Monster Returns is totally adorable and redeems the first book! I love the idea of all the children drawing their own monsters in the second book - and just like the first, the second book’s illustrations are simple, yet powerful and gorgeous (not a shock that McCarty won New York Times Best Illustrated Book of the Year).

This duo of books is a must-read from the library - but, like I said - take them out as a pair!
The Library Lady
Feb 23, 2012 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Do you think McCarty read my review of Jeremy Draws A Monster and took MY personal advice to write a sequel? :D
No matter whose advice he took, he took it well. Often sequels stink, but this one is if anything better than the first one. Might inspire a "draw your own monster" activity in many a reading!
현순 최
Jun 30, 2014 현순 최 rated it liked it
Shelves: colors
When Jeremy drews some picture, he received a weird note which look at your window drawing a compass and a telescope. He did what the note said. when he look at the window, he finds a monster to come back Jeremy's house. Jeremy called his friends. They start to drew monster pictures. A few later, Jeremy's monster had returned. They all welcome to him. Children can learn about colours.
The Brothers
Feb 10, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
This is a sequel to "Jeremy Draws a Monster." In that book, Jeremy (as the title implies) drew a monster and then had to figure out how to get rid of it once it came to life. In this continuance of the story, the monster comes back, so Jeremy enlists the help of his friends to draw friend-monsters for the returning monster.

Excellent illustrations.
Jenn
Feb 08, 2012 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun book about Jeremy who once drew a monster. The monster has been away but has called to say he is coming back! Jeremy invites his friends up and they all draw monsters of their own so that Jeremy's monster will have friends too.

I cute book about using your imagination and friendship.
Jodie
Sep 04, 2012 Jodie rated it really liked it
Pictures are great and really add to the story about a boy and a monster. I missed reading the first one and felt that there might have been an earlier story since the monster is returning. My daughter was a little nervous about the story at first, but the monsters aren't scary and she enjoyed the story. I love how the character likes to draw and asks his friends to join him.
Marcie
Mar 16, 2012 Marcie rated it really liked it
This was OK as a read aloud and the two kids who had read Jeremy Draws a Monster loved it. It would be fun to have kids draw their own monsters given enough time. It was interesting the class that choose this also choose Chalk a wordless book about drawings coming alive. Both kind of remind me of The Paper Crane for a younger audience.
Ashlee Draper Galyean
Cute with fun, bright, whimsical illustrations. We probably should have read the first one first...I'm ordering it from the library. But it says something that this one was pretty good on it's own, right?
Jackie
Jul 25, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
Ah...The Monster Returns. This time Jeremy is more than ready. He assembles the crowd, friends at the ready. They paint, they draw, they have friends! When Jeremy's monster arrives, he's surprised as only friends will be.
Amy
Feb 26, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
I read this to my Storytime group immediately after 'Jeremy Draws a Monster'. Although it still feels like McCarty expects the kids to fill in the holes in his story, this one has a much more organic and complete ending than the last one
Cristina
Sep 25, 2012 Cristina rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s, monsters
A sequel to Peter McCarty's first book. Good for those who enjoyed the first, but I don't think it has the tension to keep others satisfied. 2.5 because I happen to be a fan of the monster illustrations.
Sally
Jul 11, 2012 Sally rated it really liked it
Lovely! So many kids sit in their rooms doing their own thing - maybe this simple book will inspire more cooperation and friendship!

sequel to Jeremy Draws a Monster.

I want to have kids draw their own monster and write it into a story!
May 12, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
In this fun sequel, Jeremy invites his friends to draw their own monsters. This is a really short and fun read.

Preschool and Kindergarten listeners should love it. Note: the pages are especially thin and I don't believe this one will stand up to a lot of young reader love.
Carrie
Feb 27, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-fiction
Anne Broyles
Aug 12, 2016 Anne Broyles rated it really liked it
I haven’t read the first MONSTER book, but I think young readers would love the simplicity of the story, the minor menace of the monster returning, the wonderful expressions on the various monsters’ faces, and the validation of how art transforms and gives power.
Leona
Mar 13, 2013 Leona rated it really liked it
sequel that is just as cute as the first. reminiscent of harold and the purple crayon, jeremy gets himself into and out of trouble with his pen. lovely friendship theme.
Carrie Gelson
Feb 24, 2013 Carrie Gelson rated it really liked it
A great companion to Jeremy Draws a Monster - don't think it would be as cute if read as a stand alone. It is truly a sequel.
Nicole
Feb 27, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
My love for this book is based heavily on the wonderful illustrations by Peter McCarty. The story is rather simple, but visually, it is such a charmer...
Sharon Lawler
Everyone needs a friend, and Jeremy's big blue monster is no different! Distinctive watercolor monsters are quickly created to be friends with Jeremy's monster.
Kaethe
Somehow I forgot to write a review when I finished this one. Only thirty days later and I can't remember the brief plot at all. Love the monster art though.

Library copy
  • Digger Man
  • C. R. Mudgeon
  • Animal Masquerade
202298
I was born in 1966 in Westport, Connecticut right in the middle of two older brothers and two younger sisters. We kept our mother busy while my father worked long hours at IBM. Most of my childhood was spent in my head. I was usually recreating a battle from World War II or running from dinosaurs in prehistoric times. To this day, I develop characters and environments based on worlds I first ...more
More about Peter McCarty...

Jeremy and the Monster (2 books)
  • Jeremy Draws a Monster