The Monster Returns

The Monster Returns

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Jeremy thought he’d seen the last of his monster when he sent him away with a one-way bus ticket. But suddenly there’s a knock on the door . . . and the monster has returned!
Jeremy tries to decide what to do. Is it possible that the monster is in need of a friend?
Peter McCarty brings his popular monster back in style, with a sequel that will have kids drawing their own lit...more
Published January 31st 2012 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Monster Returns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster Returns

John Sullivan
The Monster Returns is the sequel to Jeremy Draws a Monster. After being sent away in the first book, the monster goes back to Jeremy's house; knowing that the monster is bossy, Jeremy teams up with some kids from his neighborhood to draw monster friends. The illustrations and writing are high-quality, just as they are in the first book. It is nice to see in this book that Jeremy has friends now, and that he plays outside, because in the first book, the boy is lonely and stays inside drawing. Fi...more
Paula
I love Jeremy Draws a Monster and was excited that McCarty decided to write a sequel. Ah, yes, the Monster is back in this story. As many sequels do, it falls just short of impressing me as much as the first story. It's still a must-read if you loved Jeremy & the Monster in the first book.
Linda Atkinson
A creative solution to solving the ongoing monster problem;-)
The little boy in this story is busy drawing when a paper airplane flies in through his window. On the airplane is scribbled a note written by the monster he had drawn into life in the previous book. The little boy rushes around and calls the people below for help. He tells them his monster is coming back and that he needs them to all draw monsters. They each draw a different color and shaped monster. Each monster mirrors the artist in the colors that they are. When the little boy's first monste...more
현순 최
When Jeremy drews some picture, he received a weird note which look at your window drawing a compass and a telescope. He did what the note said. when he look at the window, he finds a monster to come back Jeremy's house. Jeremy called his friends. They start to drew monster pictures. A few later, Jeremy's monster had returned. They all welcome to him. Children can learn about colours.
Barbara
The books of this author/illustrator are growing on me, and I am starting to appreciate the way he sees the world. In this sequel to Jeremy Draws a Monster, the monster that the artistic Jeremy managed to banish with a one-way bus ticket has returned, and he wants to meet Jeremy. The quick-thinking boy invites his neighbors over, hands them fancy pens, and they go to work. By the time the monster arrives, the walls are filled with elaborate monsters of every color imaginable, giving him the choi...more
Tasha
This sequel to Jeremy Draws a Monster continues the story of Jeremy, who is continuing to draw up in his room alone. Then he got a note from his monster saying that he should draw a compass and a telescope and look out the window. When he looked through the telescope, he saw his monster! The monster immediately called on the phone and announced he was bored and headed over to Jeremy’s house. Jeremy had to think quickly. He invited all of the children playing outside up to his room, gave them eac...more
Kaethe
Somehow I forgot to write a review when I finished this one. Only thirty days later and I can't remember the brief plot at all. Love the monster art though.

Library copy
Jenn Swanson
My daughter enjoyed this book. Now I'm gonna have to get her the first one!
Karen Arendt
a sequel to Jeremy Draws a Monster. In the sequel, the monster send a paper airplane through the window to Jeremy telling him that he will be returning. Jeremy invites some friends up to his room to prepare for the monter's arrival. The story implies that JEremy does not want the monster to return, until the very end of the story when there is a surprise. The illustrations are very colorful against a stark whit background which allows the characters in the story to stand out. A great book for ki...more
Kelly
Still meh.
Janet
I read these two books at story time for a kindergarten group. They're both wonderful books, more about imagination than scary monster-dom. As a transition, I asked them what they thought, "where did the monster go?" Pretty interesting responses - "Out-of-town" (that didn't count, it was in the book) Then the shoutouts happened... (first, tentatively) Mexico? then to name a few more... Honduras, China, Hollywood! These kids were so cool.
Rachel
I enjoyed this sequel to "Jeremy Draws a Monster" better than the original. Jeremy gets a call from his monster, the one he sent away in the first book, saying that he's bored and he's coming back home. So Jeremy calls up the kids on the street and gives them magic pens to draw their own monster with, so the monster has some friends to play with. Jeremy also gains some friends. Love the illustrations. Recommended for ages 1-7, 4 stars.
The Library Lady
Do you think McCarty read my review of Jeremy Draws A Monster and took MY personal advice to write a sequel? :D
No matter whose advice he took, he took it well. Often sequels stink, but this one is if anything better than the first one. Might inspire a "draw your own monster" activity in many a reading!
Jodie
Pictures are great and really add to the story about a boy and a monster. I missed reading the first one and felt that there might have been an earlier story since the monster is returning. My daughter was a little nervous about the story at first, but the monsters aren't scary and she enjoyed the story. I love how the character likes to draw and asks his friends to join him.
Marcie
This was OK as a read aloud and the two kids who had read Jeremy Draws a Monster loved it. It would be fun to have kids draw their own monsters given enough time. It was interesting the class that choose this also choose Chalk a wordless book about drawings coming alive. Both kind of remind me of The Paper Crane for a younger audience.
Jenn
This is a fun book about Jeremy who once drew a monster. The monster has been away but has called to say he is coming back! Jeremy invites his friends up and they all draw monsters of their own so that Jeremy's monster will have friends too.

I cute book about using your imagination and friendship.
Heather Colacurcio
Just when Jeremy thought he got rid of the monster forever, "The Monster Returns!". Armed with the knowledge that his drawings come to life, Jeremy knows just what to do to take care of his creation. This sequel to "Jeremy Draws a Monster" is as good, if not better, than it's predecessor.
In this fun sequel, Jeremy invites his friends to draw their own monsters. This is a really short and fun read.

Preschool and Kindergarten listeners should love it. Note: the pages are especially thin and I don't believe this one will stand up to a lot of young reader love.
Anne Broyles
I haven’t read the first MONSTER book, but I think young readers would love the simplicity of the story, the minor menace of the monster returning, the wonderful expressions on the various monsters’ faces, and the validation of how art transforms and gives power.
Sally
Lovely! So many kids sit in their rooms doing their own thing - maybe this simple book will inspire more cooperation and friendship!

sequel to Jeremy Draws a Monster.

I want to have kids draw their own monster and write it into a story!
Amy
I read this to my Storytime group immediately after 'Jeremy Draws a Monster'. Although it still feels like McCarty expects the kids to fill in the holes in his story, this one has a much more organic and complete ending than the last one
Jackie
Ah...The Monster Returns. This time Jeremy is more than ready. He assembles the crowd, friends at the ready. They paint, they draw, they have friends! When Jeremy's monster arrives, he's surprised as only friends will be.
Carriek
Cristina
A sequel to Peter McCarty's first book. Good for those who enjoyed the first, but I don't think it has the tension to keep others satisfied. 2.5 because I happen to be a fan of the monster illustrations.
Beth
Jeremy loves to draw and is having a fine day until the monster calls and says that he will be back. With the help of his neighbors, they each draw a monster and all have friends.
Leona
sequel that is just as cute as the first. reminiscent of harold and the purple crayon, jeremy gets himself into and out of trouble with his pen. lovely friendship theme.
Tracey
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
  • Dog Loves Drawing
  • Are You Awake?
  • Crafty Chloe
  • Baby Penguins Everywhere!
  • Me Want Pet!
  • Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story
  • Surfer Chick
  • Dog in Charge
  • Andrew Drew and Drew
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • Chopsticks
202298
I was born in 1966 in Westport, Connecticut right in the middle of two older brothers and two younger sisters. We kept our mother busy while my father worked long hours at IBM. Most of my childhood was spent in my head. I was usually recreating a battle from World War II or running from dinosaurs in prehistoric times. To this day, I develop characters and environments based on worlds I first creat...more
More about Peter McCarty...
Hondo & Fabian Jeremy Draws a Monster Henry in Love Chloe Moon Plane