Start by marking “Murder Season (Lena Gamble, #3)” as Want to Read:
Murder Season (Lena Gamble, #3)

Murder Season (Lena Gamble #3)

LAPD homicide detective Lena Gamble's third murder case is also Robert Ellis's most explosive thriller yet.

It's another rough night in Hollywood. A horrific double murder at Club 3 AM, the A list hangout for Hollywood celebs. Unfortunately for detective Gamble, it's her case.

The media is swarming. LAPD brass have their stingers out. It's the kind of murder case that goes r
Published December 6th 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Murder Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Season

Jeffrey
Jun 08, 2012 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2012
The Murder Season, Robert Ellis' latest Lena Gamble novel is a suspenseful police detective story, with enough twists and turns to keep the jaded reader hustling to finish. Ellis is a master of the kind of old fashioned cop investigating a murder, and Gamble follows the evidence wherever it leads. As the tension escalates, the story hits high gear.

Lena Gamble is called in the depths of the night to a double homicide at a big nightclub. One of the victims is Johnny Bosco, a club owner to the star
Pat
May 30, 2016 Pat rated it really liked it
Damn I wish I could give this 4.5 stars.This book was excellent. Lena Gamble is given a case that could completely derail her career. Two bodies in a nightclub - one is the owner but it is the second body that causes all the problems. Jacob Gant was tried for the rape and murder of a 16 year old girl. It was a slam dunk case but due to the disappearance of vital evidence he was acquitted.

Clearly the girl's father has just dispensed his own brand of justice and has public sympathy on his side. Bu
Judy Churchill
Sep 14, 2015 Judy Churchill rated it it was amazing
What happened? I thought the author was tying up loose ends and out of nowhere comes another twist. I did not see this coming. The plot was challenging, the murders are plentiful and bloody. There are some despicable bad guys, but also some cops with compassion and feelings. Don't start a Robert Ellis novel unless you have time to finish it. It will be hard to put down.
Luvinthislife
Dec 22, 2014 Luvinthislife rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another really good Lena Gamble story

This was yet another page turning effort by Robert Ellis. Lena Gamble, the main character, becomes more and more interesting in each new work. The nuanced twists and turns throughout made for a compelling read. The only reason it wasn't a five star book for me was that the final plot shift wad a little over the top and convenient. But that was the first time Mr. Ellis ever committed such a faux pas in my eyes, so I'm definitely willing to give him a one time
Gloria Feit
Apr 28, 2012 Gloria Feit rated it liked it
It is just the beginning of spring in Los Angeles, but the heat has come in early this year, with temps reaching 117 degrees, and with it the murder season. Homicide detective Lena Gamble is called in the middle of the night to the scene of a shooting at a celebrity hangout, where the owner of the club and a patron are found dead. The patron is 25-year-old Jacob Gant, acquitted just days before in a very high-profile and volatile case involving the rape and killing of a 16-year-old girl. Think G ...more
Marg
Apr 30, 2016 Marg rated it it was amazing
First and foremost, I would never had thought to pick up a Robert Ellis book, but after reading the reviews for the previous book The Lost Witness. Which blew me away. I figured ok. Let me go ahead with Murder Season. I can only say I was not disappointed. Talk about twist and turns, and being blindsided. This was a great read. Why isn't there another Lena Gamble book from this author? It would be a great series to keep up with.
Jenny
May 25, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of the Lena Gamble series! The twists and turns, how real the characters are, and how easy it is to imagine myself in LA working alongside Detective Gamble. The twist ending almost caught me off guard, but I had a feeling that was going to happen! Besides the F words, this book was fantastic! I wish Robert Ellis would write more to add to this series!
Ken Cady
Jan 02, 2012 Ken Cady rated it liked it
Robert Ellis tells an interesting story about murders involving the high and mighty, but sometimes his writing gets high and flighty. The book begins: "She could smell it on the pillow...murder season....Murder season would come early this year. It would roll in with the heat like they were best friends." And it goes on: "Murder season. trouble ahead. When the streets get hot, business burns." Fortunately this cheesy writing then hides itself behind Ellis' editors, and the story gets underway. L ...more
Karen
Jun 04, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
"She could smell it in the pillow as she pulled it closer. On the sheets as she rolled over in the darkness and searched out cool spots that were not there. Murder season." I love a great beginning like this one! I also love a good suspense novel with a female lead who takes charge and doesn't apologize for what she must do. This is the case with Detective Lena Gamble as she investigates what looks like a simple revenge murder, but quickly becomes much more complicated. Her search for the truth ...more
gert
Jan 31, 2012 gert rated it really liked it
last of the series (so far...?).

as good as the other two - great protagonist. female police detective in robbery & homicide who is really, really smart.

this is definitely a police procedural, but we're also deeply in the prosecutors' office. two quibbles - and its with the series, not this book:

- is EVERYONE who works in the district attorney's office dirty?
- lena gamble is a woman surrounded by men. she's attractive, smart, accomplished and driven. and yet this is the first book she has s
Clifford F Blaze
Oct 08, 2015 Clifford F Blaze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrific read

with a character rapidly approaching the level of other legendary LA fictional detectives who give insight got the politics too often present.
Toyah
Apr 02, 2014 Toyah rated it it was amazing
This book is the best of the Lena gamble trilogy. The story is even more twisted and compelling with a unexpected twist as the ending that I just didn't see coming. A great read.
Deborah
May 06, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprise surprise surprise

Think you always know who dunnit - well this one will keep you on your toes until the last page. Loved it! Lena Gamble is a believable character, one the reader connects to quickly and easily. Keeping them coming Mr. Ellis, we need more!!
Susan Cantey
Second read on my new kindle fire!

Nice twist and turns...certainly keeps the reader's attention. I like this author. Robert Ellis will be added to my list of favorite murder mystery writers.
Rachael
Jul 27, 2014 Rachael rated it really liked it
Great, great series... each one stronger than the next. So sorry aren't more to this series :-(
Elnora Anquillano
Mar 16, 2013 Elnora Anquillano rated it liked it
Not bad. I don't know how this book got checked out to my name as I don't know and haven't read this author. I'm actually pruning the list of authors that I'm following. There's just too many
and I'm beginning to get confused. The first to go will be the too prolific authors like James Patterson who actually have several "co-authors" and Patricia Cornwell who had a make-over and have become too engrossed with Kay Scarpetta's physical attributes. I believe she identifies with her as her alter-ego.
Ozzie Cheek
Dec 15, 2013 Ozzie Cheek rated it it was amazing
As someone who lives part-time in Los Angeles, I have an affinity for modern novels set here. I am equally fond of the hard-boiled mysteries from Raymond Chandler's era. Ellis may not equal the lyrical prose of Chandler - what mystery writer does? - but if you image Chandler writing a contemporary Los Angeles mystery, full of crooked cops and evil DA's and on-the-take politicians, the daily fodder of the LA Times, the result would be "Murder Season." It is simply that good. Mystery fans should n ...more
M.E. E. May
Apr 17, 2013 M.E. E. May rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio version of Murder Season. Robert Ellis' brillian thriller kept me guessing every step of the way. One of the things I love best about reading mysteries is being kept in suspense and having the author give me enough clues to make me feel like I'm taking part in solving the crime. For readers who share this same need, I would highly recommend you read Murder Season by Robert Ellis.
Dain Turner
enjoyed this main character. She seemed real.
Joe O'c
Jan 11, 2012 Joe O'c rated it really liked it
Excellent; Continuing character: Lena Gamble; called out to a murder scene, Detective Gamble is shocked to find that one of the victims is a man accused but found not guilty of the murder of a 16 year old; as she investigates, more and more people turn out to be corrupt - or dead
Katie
Jun 02, 2013 Katie rated it liked it
Ellen
Oct 27, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
Ellis's third in the Lena Gamble series. I've read all three in the right order and each is better than the one before. This plot is interesting and has more twists than those in the previous books. I kept changing my view on who the bad guy (or guys) was/were.
Ricardo
Feb 06, 2013 Ricardo rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Fast plot, entertaining, well written, and one of the few books I've read during the last year or so that I couldn't put down. I personally did not like the ending but that's simply a personal preference. Definitely recommend this one
Penny
Jan 16, 2013 Penny rated it really liked it
Lena Gamble is back. I am really enjoying the books featuring Lena Gamble written by Robert Ellis. If you want a good mystery that will keep you guessing until the end, you should find this an interesting read.
Jun 29, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Much like my review for 'The Lost Witness' I have to say this is another page turner with plot twists that will keep you guessing to the very last page. Robert Ellis is a must-read for fans of this genre!
Hope Zelasko
May 18, 2015 Hope Zelasko rated it really liked it
Enjoyed all the twists & turns of the story. As a female reader, I really enjoy Lena as a good detective and not some super hero.
I really loved that I DID not guess the ending. Well done "Who Dun It".
Ronald Bauman
Feb 03, 2016 Ronald Bauman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love Robert Ellis. Have read all of his books and each one is better than the last one. He is every bit as good as Baldacci, Coben or Connley. Can't wait for his new book!
Lashana
Jul 23, 2015 Lashana rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!! Just when you thought the book was over; BAM!!!, a twist no one could see coming. Loved this book!!
Kari
Mar 11, 2013 Kari rated it really liked it
Wasn't ready for the twist at the end. Great read, now I have to go back and read the first two books!
Kit
Feb 24, 2012 Kit rated it really liked it
This was a good police procedural with some complicated plot twists. I enjoyed it.
GREAT READ 2 3 Dec 29, 2011 06:54PM
  • The Ripper Gene
  • The Hollow Girl (Moe Prager, #9)
  • All the Lonely People (Harry Devlin, #1)
  • Hostage Taker (Eve Rossi #1)
  • The Wrong Man (Jason Kolarich, #3)
  • Metro Star Murders
  • The Stolen Ones (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #7)
  • Vigilante (Shane Scully, #11)
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye: An Otto Penzler Book
  • The Nightmare Thief (Jo Beckett #4)
  • Under the Moon's Shadow (Shadows Collection/Leroy's Sins, #2)
  • Field of Graves (Taylor Jackson, #8)
  • Sleight of Hand (Dana Cutler, #4)
  • Haunted (Hannah Smith, #3)
  • In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2)
  • The Color of Law (Scott Fenney #1)
  • The Barbed-Wire Kiss (Harry Rane, #1)
Robert Ellis is the international bestselling author of "Access to Power", "The Dead Room", and the critically acclaimed L.A. Times bestseller "City of Fire", "The Lost Witness", and "Murder Season" - selected as top reads by Booklist, Publishers Weekly, National Public Radio, The Chicago Tribune, The Toronto Sun, The Guardian (UK), The Evening Telegraph (UK), People Magazine, USA Today, and The N ...more
More about Robert Ellis...

Lena Gamble (3 books)
  • City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)