Storm Damage

Storm Damage

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  23 reviews

In the aftermath of a Category 5 hurricane in New Orleans, Private Eye Cliff St. James, a bare-knuckled ex-cop and mixed-martial artist, is stuckwith the case offinding a missing person whose disappearance may have ties to Washington.

When a Category 5 hurricane devastates New Orleans, the fresh murder of a politically-connected bar owner gets swept under—literally—until
Published December 6th 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Storm Damage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storm Damage

Book Concierge
2.5**

Cliff St James is on his last shift as a New Orleans police officer just as Hurricane Katrina is about to hit the Crescent City hard. He goes on one last call to a well- known bar, where the owner has apparently been shot and robbed. There’s no time to call the medical examiner or the CSI team; all first-responders are ordered back to headquarters in an effort to keep them as safe as possible in the face of the storm’s wrath. Months later, a now-retired Cliff is asked by the dead man’s daug...more
Brandon Hubbard
I really enjoyed this book. It helped me get out of my sci-fi niche. I really felt like I was in New Orleans when I read it. I like his gritty and dark portrayal of the people but especially the cops. He really showed that people, even good ones, can still have a dark side but doesn't mean they don't have an honor of their own. I was able to piece some of it together but he kept me guessing until the end which is good because nothing is worse than having to finish a book when you solved the myst...more
Jody
Did you know you could still drive through New Orleans today and see blue tarps on the homes and signs with red X painted on them nailed to the outside walls? Even after all of the time that has elapsed since Katrina hit the city is not even close to being restored. Along Interstate 10 you can see a large field with FEMA trailers in it that stretches as far as the eye can see. The media (as well as everyone in America) have moved on to other problems while New Orleans is still trying to get back...more
Mary
This book is very hard to put down! It was a good, solid mystery from page one and unlike so many books in this genre, it keeps you guessing until the very end. I found the setting and context to be fascinating. The descriptions of the cultures and sub cultures for New Orleans, gangs, and the Asians were fascinating and believable. The character development was wonderful. As a reader you get to know and understand the characters, flaws and good parts alike.

Overall, a great read or someone who e...more
Del
Storm Damage takes place in and around New Orleans shortly after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. New Orleans is my favorite American city and I've visited numerous times on business and for pleasure. The places described are very familiar to me, so as PI (private investigator) St. James describes each area he travel while solving the murder mystery, I felt like I was right there with him. Mr. Kovacs' writing kept me interested in the story, just enough details to help me keep track of what...more
Subiechik
very cool. I'm on a NOLA streak and am enjoying the different takes on the city. I will definitely be cont this series and revisiting my favorite city.
Jacky He
this book was alright. the beginning was kind of slow and repetitive, but still a good read. This book is about a hurricane/murder of a politically involved bar owner and how everyone is trying to solve the case. i feel like this is a book that most people can relate to since the author describes the setting so well, and feeling are familiar with this hurricane. I also like how the author keeps you guessing until the end. He also has a wide knowledge of New Orleans, and the police tactics and me...more
Larry
Ex-cop and sometimes private eye Cliff St. James looks into the murder of a friend in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. St. James runs a martial arts training facility and knows a lot of interesting people. Kovacs writes well in his first outing, and endows the book with a strong sense of place, though it doesn't take tons of insight to spot the bad guys and the almost-bad guys. (Spoiler alert: It is a convention of p.i. novels that really good looking women represent trouble, so why doesn't S...more
Carl Scholl
Great book! The author keeps you guessing until the very end. No way to figure this out. And it is such a believable story in a setting we are all familiar with beacause of all the media attention during and after the hurricane. Kovacs has a remarkable way with words and details. His knowledge of the New Orleans area, police tactics and methods, food, aviation related details,and Asian culture are all right on. You won't be able to put it down once you start.
Heather
I really enjoyed this book. A must read for anyone who enjoys a good solid detective novel with twists and turns up to the end. I had a hard time putting it down. Kovacs is a great story teller. I felt like I was right there in New Orleans with Cliff. Kovacs brought the characters to life and kept me intrigued and engaged to the end. Fast paced and exciting! Enjoy!

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Diane S.
3.5 Fascinating reading about New Orleans before and after hurricane Karina and to top it off a disappearing crime scene and body because of the hurricane. Liked the character Cliff St. James and the semi noir tone to the book which covers the political corruption and violence pf the city. Well done by someone who knows or seems to know every inch of the city.
Susan Brown
I enjoyed this book a lot and will definitely read the follow up: Good Junk. Storm Damage introduced the reader to Cliff St. James PI, a character I would liken (only a little!) to Connelly's Harry Bosch. The book had a lot of quirky episodes and was full of New Orleans "We do things our own way" action.
Michael Phillips
Great book. Reminds me of the golden age of private detectives--a litte dark, a little sexy, and plenty of deception and excitement. Set in New Orleans 6 months after Katrina, it's also a terrific setting. As a former New Orleans resident, I can tell you that it's very culturally accurate.
An ex-NOLA police officer turns PI to find out the truth about a senseless murder that happens just as Katrina hits the city. Love this novel. The descriptions of the city right after the storm are heart-breaking.
Tatiana
Well-written, fast-paced murder mystery set in New Orleans with a "jack reacher" type hero (but more plausible). I couldn't put it down and liked the references to bars and restaurants in the city.
Loretta Micheals
An excellent gritty story about the harsh realities of New Orleans after Katrina. Very much a noir story, this is a great start to the series. I look forward to more of the same!
Jennifer Guymon
This was an okay book. Kind of slow, but still a good read. A few twists that I didn't expect. That's always good. I recommend this if you are in the mood for a slow read.
Ed Kovacs
Nov 03, 2013 Ed Kovacs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I think this is one helluva good mystery novel. The reviews from literary critics were all very good. Booklist raved about it. But then, I'm not completely objective!
Hrn1947
First in the series. Not bad start. Brings the plight of NOLA into focus. The main character reminds me of john corey, breaking most rules
Amanda Farris
Great book, lots of action, twists & turns. Ending is a little bland, but the epilogue helped.
Harry Lane
Noir, set in post-Katrina New Orleans. Very hard-boiled, nonstop action.
Tiffany
Really enjoyed reading this book! Some surprising twists along the way!
Larrygebert
Fantastic book,New Orleans crime and a MMA aspect. Check it out.
Nicole Rhaven
Nicole Rhaven marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Bill Richards
Bill Richards marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Douglas
Douglas marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
  • The Parasol Protectorate Boxed Set: Soulless, Changeless, Blameless, Heartless and Timeless
  • Feet on the Street: Rambles Around New Orleans
  • Sky Pirates (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow, #3)
  • My Year of Living Fearlessly
  • Etched
  • Dead Spy Running (Legoland Trilogy, #1)
  • The Deep Zone (Hallie Leland, #1)
  • The Sound of Building Coffins
  • Why Kings Confess (Sebastian St. Cyr #9)
  • Firebrand (Elemental, #2)
  • At the End of the Road
  • Long Live the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #3)
  • You Shall Never Know Security
  • In Her Sights
  • The Damage Done
  • The Fall of the House of Walworth: A Tale of Madness and Murder in Gilded Age America
  • Chop Suey (Darby Stansfield, #1)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
ED KOVACS is the author of six novels, including the critically-acclaimed Detective Cliff St. James series set in New Orleans, post-killer hurricane.

My suspense-thriller THE RUSSIAN BRIDE will be published by St. Martin's Press in April, 2015.

BURNT BLACK, Cliff St. James #3, was published in 2013.

"The vibrant description of occult doings mixes well with the movements of theearthbound characters,...more
More about Ed Kovacs...
Good Junk: A Cliff St. James Novel Burnt Black: A Cliff St. James Novel Unseen Forces The Russian Bride