Start by marking “Prep Work” as Want to Read:
Prep Work

Prep Work

Exhausted after eating his way through the local cuisines in the back of beyond, celebrity chef Jude Marshall ditches his camera crew during a London layover. He’s ready for a beer and plain, familiar food, the sort a random pub could provide. What’s this artfully presented dish where plain pea soup should be? Parsley? Really? Demonstrating his lack of a brain to mouth fil ...more
Published August 17th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Prep Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prep Work

Tailtiu
Dec 26, 2011 Tailtiu rated it really liked it
This book should come with a warning: "Eat BEFORE reading"!!!

here is a little bit more
and maybe you want Jude's Guinness-Apple Crumble recipe?

Vio
Aug 18, 2011 Vio rated it it was amazing
Sexy and romantic Jude and Tommy were wonderful while cooking together you could feel the sexual energy bouncing off them, brilliantly written and very witty especially the interaction between Jude and his film crew. Lovely short read.
Eden Winters
Jul 30, 2011 Eden Winters rated it it was amazing
Jude Marshall and his snarky, world-weary attitude really make this story stand out in my mind. It's easy for a Mr. Charming to find love, but how about someone as prickly as a porcupine and who, on the surface, isn't so lovable?

Tommy is the perfect foil for Jude's growly temperment. They're awesome together. And outside of the love interest, Jude's interaction with his crew seems so believable, and the secondary characters are fully realized, a difficult task for a short story.

A lovely, feel
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Feb 04, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ebook-owned, short
3.5-4*
I loved the setting of the book and almost felt as if I was in the kitchen with Tommy and Jude, how I wish there was more!
Chris
Aug 01, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, 2011, ebook
4.5 stars. Very good short m/m romance about a somewhat disgraced celebrity chef who discovers that the intriguing chef at the pub where he's having dinner is a fan.
Heller
Mar 31, 2013 Heller rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
A nicely authentic little piece about a celebrity chef meeting and having pretty intense connection with another chef. This is definitely lust at first sight but there is a strong possibility of more. I liked the characters: Jude, the jaded celeb who is constantly travelling à la Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations and Tommy, a self-taught chef who is running his family pub close to London.

There's a very natural progression of their relationship as Jude goes back to give Tommy a hand in the kitche
Carole Cummings
Aug 17, 2011 Carole Cummings rated it it was amazing
Where else would two fabulous cooks begin an affair but a kitchen? PD always makes you think she's lived the profession about which she's writing, and this is no exception. These guys can cook--in or out of a kitchen. But what has always drawn me to PD Singer's stories is her characters, and she delivers yet again with Jude and Tommy. I rooted for them and then I wanted to smack them around and then I went back to rooting for them and then I just gave myself over to the story and let it do with ...more
Tam
Aug 31, 2011 Tam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m

A very cute story about adventure TV chef Jude who goes in search of 'normal' food in London, only to find Tommy, a fan but who can see past Jude the celebrity, until Jude opens his mouth and screws it up only to have to fix it. My only niggle was that Jude was such a wuss with his handlers. Without him they would have nothing, I was glad he stood up to them at the end. A really cute story though and you can get the recipe mentioned at the end in Tommy's interview HERE. A fun read.
Josephine Myles
A cute culinary romance between a jaded TV chef and the bloke running a London gastropub. I found the narrator (Jude) hard to warm to at first, but was relieved to discover he was meant to be a bit of a dick! As it was, I soon got into his style and became used to his abrasive phrasing.

I love kitchens and food stories, so this was bound to be a winner for me, but combined with some interesting characters, a really authentic seeming British setting (impressive from an American writer), and PD Sin
Jenre
Aug 31, 2011 Jenre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, contemporary, romance
I really like PD Singer’s writing so I was very pleased to see this short at DSP. Plus it’s set in Britain so how could I resist?!

The story tells of celebrity chef, Jude, who stars in one of those programmes where the chef travels the world eating the local cuisine, no matter how good or bad. Jude and his crew have to make a stop off in London en-route to New York where post production will take place so Jude decides to try out a good old British pub which will hopefully sell him something down
Valentina Heart
Sep 05, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt, hearts-on-fire
This review was originally written for Hearts on Fire Reviews and can also be found there.

I didn’t really know what to expect when I first started reading this story, but the first page alone had me chuckling and the ice was broken – I loved it enough to continue reading with almost contagious enthusiasm.

Jude is a chef whose career took the wrong turn during the years and instead of doing what he loves he’s traveling the world tasting all kinds of disgusting as well as delicious dishes in the
Rhys Ford
Aug 26, 2011 Rhys Ford rated it it was amazing
Just finished this yesterday and it was a great short read. The amount of characterization and detail within this story is fantastic and the level of writing is great. I highly recommend this story.
Cryselle
Aug 18, 2011 Cryselle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dreamspinner, novella
Jude Marshall is a prickly guy and his past is littered with the wreckage he's caused by not having a "brain to mouth filter." When he meets chef Tommy Bell in PD Singer's Prep Work, he's on the brink of creating another disaster.

Walking into the Good Man pub messes with Jude's expectations—he's not prepared for either the quality of the food or the attraction of the chef. Tommy Bell knows who Jude is on a public level, he's seen the show and has the cookbook, but he's willing to find out who Ju
Lady*M
Aug 31, 2011 Lady*M rated it really liked it
I liked Jude very much - he is a very open, frank narrator. He doesn't shy away from less than savory sides of his job or his past transgressions, including cheating his last boyfriend. Still, I got the impression that he needed this gig as well as his two obnoxious co-workers to understand what he really wants and, more importantly, needs. And, he finds it in a small London pub and self-taught chef Tommy. I liked delicate balance dance in Tommy's kitchen, the way men started to get to know each ...more
Mandapanda
Aug 03, 2011 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
3.5 stars If you like m/m romance and you like those cooking shows on TV then you're going to love this short story about a jaded TV chef (Jude Marshall) who's lost his mojo, and the younger pub cook (Tommy) with stars in his eyes when it comes to his hero Jude. The characters were great although it took me a while to get past Jude's whinier moments! I loved the 'talking-to' that Jude gave his production team when they gave him the TMI speech. I've often wanted to say that to some of the straigh ...more
ManOhMan
Sep 18, 2011 ManOhMan rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
Reviewed by Max: The blurb pretty much states what the story is about only I didn't feel much of anything reading this short story. I found the main character hard to like and overall, I was bored throughout while reading it.

F

Carolinareader
Dec 27, 2011 Carolinareader rated it it was amazing
The food channels are my go to channels and so I expected that I would like this story about a TV chef and I was right. Both Jude and Tommy are incredibly likable characters and PD Singer does a good job of making you care about them in a short amount of time. Really hope we see more of Jude and Tommy in the future
Brenda Maldonado
Sep 29, 2012 Brenda Maldonado rated it really liked it
Beautiful! Tender, funny and very romantic, this little story caught me by surprise and made me smile from beginning to end. Amazing character development given the word count.
Ramsi
Aug 07, 2014 Ramsi rated it really liked it
3,75 stars
Sam
Mar 10, 2013 Sam rated it liked it
I liked this one but the ending made me wish there was just a little more.
Jackson Cordd
Apr 30, 2012 Jackson Cordd rated it really liked it
Nice short story, but ended too soon. Would love to read more on these characters.
Lacey
Aug 19, 2011 Lacey rated it it was amazing
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Valentina Heart

Publisher: Dreamspinner Press

Genre: M/m Contemporary

Check out the review on http://heartsonfirereviews.com/
Clover
Aug 14, 2011 Clover rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
good story about 2 cooks.
Cole Riann
Short and cute m/m.
Sadonna
Oct 01, 2011 Sadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: pdf, mm
Enjoyed this short story about a chef whose life is a bit out of control and the man who brings him back to himself and what he truly cares about. Lovely short read.
Alyosha
Alyosha rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Pakksi
Pakksi rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Dreamspinner Press: PD Singer 7 79 Mar 20, 2015 02:10PM
Dreamspinner Press: Prep Work by PD Singer 3 20 Sep 02, 2011 06:12AM
PD Singer lives in Colorado with her slightly bemused husband, two rowdy teenage boys, and thirty pounds of cats. She's a big believer in research, first-hand if possible, so the reader can be quite certain PD has skied down a mountain face-first, been stepped on by rodeo horses, acquired a potato burn or two, and will never, ever, write a novel that includes sky-diving.

When not writing, playing h
More about P.D. Singer...