Costly Mission: Following Christ Into the Slums

Costly Mission: Following Christ Into the Slums

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  2 reviews
The author s candid personal story of mission in the slums reveals the tribulations of an urban missionary and reminds that such a calling is costly--often at a personal level. If you re considering full-time urban ministry, you will want to read this before setting out; if you re already engaged in mission, this is a helpful reminder of the price you pay and the reward yo...more
Published September 1st 1996 by Marc

TEAR Australia
Review by Janet M. JOHNSON

READ MORE AT:

With raw honesty, a humble heart and great compassion, Michael Duncan has delivered a book that challenges, educates and inspires its readers to 'get uncomfortable' for the gospel. Its accessible 130 pages share mistakes, achievements and practical and positive ways to actively care for the poor both in Australia and on the international mission field.

What strikes the reader more than anything is the godliness of Dunc...more
Daniel
Jun 07, 2010 Daniel rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: People considering doing incarnational ministry amongst the poor
Recommended to Daniel by: Dave Von Stroh
It has been a while since I have picked up a book while browsing in the library, but the author of this book, Michael Duncan, caught my eye. I had read another book about his experiences in Manila called Servants Among the Poor which had shaped the way I saw work amongst the poor and this one seemed short enough. A friend who has done work in Bangkok in the slums had also recommended the book to me.

To be honest, it's brevity almost made me give it four stars. Duncan has so many excellent ideas a...more
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
Pat
Pat added it
Aug 01, 2011
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2011
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2011
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2010
Semina Culture: Wallace Berman & His Circle The New Founders Robert Kushner: Wild Gardens Melissa Miller Surrealism USA