Start by marking “Joy” as Want to Read:
Joy

Joy

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Mirai St. Julian is a young woman with a rich and fascinating life. She restores historic carousels, working from a studio in a former roller skating rink. She has never had trouble attracting men. Though black, she spent her first years in the Basque community of Nevada, the adopted child of a single mother. And in later childhood, she was raised by her Aunt Joy in a Cath ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Shepard & Piper (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joy

iam
Jun 29, 2013 iam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this book for a penny some months ago and just now got around to reading it. I confess, from the cover and its size, I couldn't figure out if this was a children's book or adult fiction. It didn't matter to me one way or another, but I started reading it partly to try and answer that question for myself. (It is adult fiction, btw, and if I were to tack a movie rating on it, I'd probably go with PG-13.)

My favorite thing about this book is how much I learned. I learned about carousel his
Linda B
Jul 30, 2011 Linda B rated it it was amazing

Joy is a captivating story of Mirai San Julian, an adopted child of a single mother and later raised by her aunt. Mirai wants to learn about her past, but doing so may hurt her relationships with those she loves.

Joy was a joy to read! It is a beautifully written rich descriptive story of love and life. It was interesting to read the history of the carousels and their restoration. Aunt Joy’s lifelong ministry to help those who need guidance and supervision was touching. Although Mirai is a bit of
Dhyan Atkinson
Sep 09, 2013 Dhyan Atkinson rated it really liked it
This is a book with two layers of story, both of them interesting. On the one hand Mirai, the main character, is struggling to restore a carousel, which is her business and her delight, but has some unusual employee problems. On the other hand, as an adopted child she is suddenly finding out things she never knew about her family including her Aunt Joy who raised her. And little sub-plots skitter across the floor from time to time just to keep things very interesting. I'm at 85% on my Kindle and ...more
Kristen
Jun 12, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
Oakland, CA 1989, Mirai San Julian has a fascinating life and a rich past. She restores historic carousels. Story covers her multi cultural past/mystery, Catholic Worker House, carousel restoration, natural disaster, relationships, and the power of determination and friendships.

The author is a retired historic preservation architecture consultant. She incorporates historic carousal restoration into an interesting and well written story.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was NOT an action thriller,
Sherry
Dec 02, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, 2013
A sweet story of an artist who is adopted. When she is young her mother is accidentally killed. She is raised by her Aunt Joy. She is curious about her birth parents, especially since she is racially different than her adoptive family. Her search for her birth parents yields surprises. I loved the story of this book for two reasons. One, the characters are real and their story is engaging. Two, the main character is a carousel restorer. I have a great love for carousel horses and how they are cr ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 27, 2015 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Entertaining, but felt unfinished at points.
Diana
Sep 06, 2012 Diana rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book. I love carousels. The main character, Mirai is restorer of vintage carousels. She has been told all her life that she is the adopted daughter of the sister of the woman who raised her. Her adopted aunt, is the director of a Catholic work home.

The mystery of Mirai's origin was original and interesting. I read this as a free Kindle book. Sometimes it seems I weed through a lot of dismal free Kindle books to get to the jewels that are hidden there. This was definitely a shining
Terri Anderson
3.5 STARS
Lila
Jun 19, 2014 Lila rated it liked it
Shelves: inspirational
A story woven with many different threads but enlightening to the reader.
Heather A
I picked this up as a freebee from iBooks, not usually my sort of books, but the fact the main character restored old carousels piqued my interest. Mainly because I remember how much I loved carousels when I was little.

The story started off quite good, but by the half way point, I was finding the main character irritating and obnoxious. I gave up with it shortly after that. I started skimming through, but really found no interest in finishing the story.

Not for me.
LAWonder10
Oct 24, 2012 LAWonder10 rated it it was ok
The writing style was missing substance and attempts at some humor failed.
Profanity and some crudeness seemed to be the only way to fill in on a lack of
literary skills to add to the negative volume.
JenMarie
Jul 23, 2013 JenMarie rated it really liked it
This was a very well written, fun to read novel. Though, a little on the drawn out side, I enjoyed how the author included the character's catholic faith but not in an overwhelming way. Great story.
Holly
Jun 26, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it
Fairly good read altho Mirai clearly has issues and has challenges seeing the positives in her life. Really liked learning about carousels! And their restoration
Kathleen Schmitt
Mar 03, 2013 Kathleen Schmitt rated it liked it
An intriguing mystery with the special touch of the art of painting and preserving merry-go-round animals, I very much enjoyed this book and recommend it.
Rosemary Daly
Jun 03, 2012 Rosemary Daly rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Intriguing storyline; interesting characters - and a little bit of a mystery. I read it in a little more than a day.

Terry
Jul 22, 2013 Terry rated it liked it
Was an easy read with a few twist to the story line that you could see and not see coming.
Angie
Delightful and an easy read . Nice reminder that things have a way of working out .
Celeste
Sep 08, 2012 Celeste rated it liked it
Captivating story line from start to finish. And an easy read!
Mariasol Danziger
May 11, 2013 Mariasol Danziger rated it liked it
Light, entertaining reading!
Louise
Aug 10, 2012 Louise rated it liked it
Good gentle read
Polly
Polly rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Jane Thomas
Jane Thomas marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
leah
leah marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Jp Lundstrom
Jp Lundstrom rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Judy
Judy added it
Mar 24, 2016
Zee
Zee marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016