Start by marking “Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto” as Want to Read:
Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto

Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  387 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
A fable for children and adults: a story of life, death, and terrorism—in the grand tradition of Exupéry’s The Little Prince

When we first meet 93-year-old millionaire Baron Lamberto, he has been diagnosed with 24 life-threatening ailments—one for each of the 24 banks he owns. But when he takes the advice of an Egyptian mystic and hires servants to chant his name over and o
Published December 6th 2011 by Melville House (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto

Tyler Jones
Jan 17, 2012 Tyler Jones rated it really liked it
I have a theory that books are living things - or at least they are while they are being read. I believe it is the act of reading that creates meaning. True, without writing there would be nothing to read, but writing is like building a house - rather pointless if it is never lived in. A book is alive when read the way the house is alive when lived in. Could it be that the act of reading not only infuses the book with the force of life, but makes the reader more alive also?

As we age we learn thr
Andrea
Nov 16, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Romanzo breve spassoso e originale.
Il target a cui si rivolge non supera i dieci anni se letto in chiave letterale ma non per questo è meno bello. La storia che Rodari racconta non offre soltanto un divertimento serrato, una girandola di situazioni e personaggi esilaranti, ma anche un modo di leggere e interpretare il mondo, spesso grottesco, in cui viviamo.

C'era due volte il barone Lamberto è una metafora sull'esistenza umana e sul rapporto tra la fama, la vita e la morte che lo stesso autore,
Danielle
Dec 28, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Danielle by: Hannah
Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto by Gianni Rodari is an Italian children’s fable first published in 1978. At the beginning of the book we are introduced to Lamberto, a 93 year old Millionaire with over 24 life threatening ailments, and his loyal butler Mr. Anselmo. I enjoyed the connection these two characters had. You could tell from reading that Lamberto is a bit eccentric and that Anselmo is more straight lace and in a sense keeps Lamberto on his toes.

As we go further into our reading we learn t
Owen
Apr 15, 2012 Owen rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, italian, translated
Baron Lamberto, 93, lives on an island in the middle of a lake, where he monitors his 24 banks while his butler Anselmo monitors his 24 illnesses. But when an Egyptian fakir's anti-aging advice turns out to actually work, the Baron's unexpected youth and vigor interfere with people's plans to get their hands on his money—the people being his nephew Ottavio, and a group of 24 terrorists who invade the island and take the Baron hostage.

Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto is an old-fashioned fable told wi
Tze-Wen
Sep 17, 2014 Tze-Wen rated it really liked it
Immensely amusing, full of funny coincidences and surprising plot-twists, I never suffered a moment of dullness. The baron is a very likable fellow, who never complains about his many maladies, but matter-of-factly checks their symptoms and status with faithful manservant Anselmo instead. He is always cheerful, even the morning after his throat is slit (don't ask). Numbers are important in the story: there are 24 banks, 24 bank managers (plus their secretaries), 24 terrorists and somewhere down ...more
Claudia aka la viandante dei libri
Il mito della vita eterna

Letto quando ero una ragazzina. E riletto almeno altre tre volte.
Per me leggere un libro significa filtrarlo attraverso le mie esperienze, le mie emozioni e i miei sentimenti. Quando di un libro mi ricordo il luogo dove l'ho letto, l'emozione che mi ha accompagnato, il desiderio di finirlo ma anche il dispiacere per questa fine significa che per me è un libro che mi ha dato qualcosa, che ha contribuito alla mia "educazione sentimentale".
La semplicità della storia, la
Chris Schaeffer
Nov 22, 2011 Chris Schaeffer rated it it was amazing
I've seen comparisons to Calvino pop up (and they're apt-- even Calvino himself praises the book's 'lightness,' a loaded term for Calvino, on the cover) but I kept thinking of the Boris Vian of 'L'ecume des jours' and 'Heartsnatchers,' or a much more buoyant Gellu Naum. Funny and strange, with one of the best final paragraphs in memory: "Any reader who is dissatisfied with the ending is free to change it to suit them, adding a chapter or two to this book. Or even thirteen. Never allow yourself t ...more
VAle
Dec 07, 2012 VAle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uno dei miei libri preferiti da bambina, ho deciso di tentare la sorte (spesso la rilettura da grandi di ciò che si è amato da piccoli riserva brutte sorprese..) e rileggerlo: non me ne sono pentita! Magari ciò che ho amato un tempo non corrisponderà con ciò che ho amato in questa rilettura, ma Rodari incanta e diverte ancora!
Shelly
Apr 09, 2014 Shelly rated it really liked it
Baron Lamberto is ninety three years old and lives on the island of San Giulio in the middle of Lake Orta in the mountains of Northern Italy. Lamberto is very rich as he owns 24 banks around the world and on each continent and he is also very sick, having 24 ailments, one for each bank that he owns. Only his butler, Anselmo, remembers them all.

Baron Lamberto is told by an Egyptian mystic that the secret to youthfulness is to have your name repeated over and over so he hires six people to chant h
Roberta
Sulle sponde del lago d'Orta si consuma, si fa per dire, un dramma: il barone Lamberto, ringiovanito grazie al consiglio di un santone egiziano, è messo in pericolo sia dal nipote che lo vuole morto per incassare l'eredità, sia da un manipolo di banditi che portano il suo stesso nome.
Ottima fiaba per bambini con infiniti sottintesi per adulti. Il nipote Ottavio è gravato dai debiti di gioco (dei birilli) e del bere (gazose). Sindaco e negozianti sono felici del turismo in più che è stato portat
Elena
Jun 05, 2012 Elena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-stuff
What a great idea I had to buy this book! I sincerely admit that I did not know this writer, and I got it because I have found a review from one of my favourite writers of all time - Italo Calvino - right on top of the cover.
This is a feel good book - it is a humorous fairytale for grown-ups, that could take place in our modern times. Lacking the pessimism characteristic to the surrealism genre, the book is a delight to read. I surprised myself several times laughing out loud.
Federico Maggioni
LAPL Reads
May 22, 2014 LAPL Reads rated it really liked it
There is an ancient wise saying – almost a secret of the pharaohs – “The man whose name is spoken remains alive.”

Twice upon a time there was an exceedingly elderly gentleman named Baron Lamberto, who lived in the villa on his private island of San Giulio in the middle of Lake Orta. Baron Lamberto had the greatest chamomile collection on our planet. He had chamomiles from the Alps and the Caucasus, the Sierras and the Andes, and even from the Himalayas. In addition, he had collections of umbrella
Weronika
Jan 26, 2016 Weronika rated it liked it
Shelves: in-polish
This book is so much fun. Gianni Rodari is so much fun. Children's literature is so much fun. Whatever.
Paul Oliver
Nov 17, 2011 Paul Oliver rated it it was amazing
A charming cross between the works of Italo Calvino, Aesop, and Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto is a fable for all ages and easily my favorite book from our fall list. I know. You're not supposed to pick favorites.
Stacia
Dec 10, 2014 Stacia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, europe
Delightfully wacky & weird, as all good fairy tales are. Falls in a category with Roald Dahl & Norton Juster, imo.
Mrs W
Aug 13, 2015 Mrs W rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
This tale is wacky and strange. It has a flare of the fairy tale to it, but also the feel of an allegory. In the end, though, I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to get out of it.

Lamberto’s health is fading in his old age, so he hires four people to take turns reciting his name all day, every day. According to an Egyptian mystic, his name being spoken will keep him alive. It works. By the time his greedy nephew shows up to help usher his uncle into the next life and collect the family fortune, Lam
Damiana
May 20, 2014 Damiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Damiana by: #classicidaleggere
"Ricordati che l'uomo il cui nome è pronunciato resta in vita"
Julie - Book Hooked Blog
Mar 15, 2012 Julie - Book Hooked Blog rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-fiction
Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto is an Italian fable that has been popular in the country for years. It is the story of an old man, Lamberto, who discovers the secret to life is having his name spoken repeatedly. He hires a team of employees to constantly speak his name and quickly rediscovers his youth and vitality. But his nephew, eager to inherit his fortune, wants to discover his secret. Not only that, but his island villa is taken hostage by a team of terrorists with bizarre demands.

Writing

It's
Book Blogging Beauties
Mar 10, 2012 Book Blogging Beauties rated it really liked it
Wythe Marschall
Aug 31, 2013 Wythe Marschall rated it liked it
Gianni Rodari's Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto (originally published as C’era due volte il barone Lamberto, translated from the Italian by Anthony Shugaar) is an illustrated fairytale novella ensconced firmly in the tradition of magical realism: The tri-titular Baron Lamberto keeps himself alive by paying six suckers to say his name, in shifts, smoothly, over and over again all day and night. This doesn't work for anyone else, just the Baron. Why? Who cares. Lamberto—incredibly rich, impossibly ch ...more
Kevin
Dec 21, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it
I am not real familiar with this works history - "one of Italy’s most beloved fables" - but something about it intrigued me.

It turned out to be an easy read and rather witty in places but somewhat inexplicable as well - but fables often have this quality I suppose.

What makes the story interesting is the blending of the all too believable with the incredible. The characters interact in humorous but totally believable and understandable ways. We recognize the stock type characters (dedicated butle
May 11, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Book Club
Shelves: book-club
This is a sweet and, as one of my fellow book-club babes said, playful book. It's a fairy tale with a great sense of humor (reminiscent of James Thurber's Many Moons) and even though it's most likely geared for late elementary school readers, it's a boatload of fun for readers of any age.

It only took me about two train commutes to get through, and since some of the book's Italian townspeople have particular feelings about the unreliability of train riders (they tell tall tales because there's n
mark
Feb 14, 2015 mark rated it really liked it
The author locates the story on the island of San Giulio in Lake Orca, which I found on Google Maps, and in the villa of Baron Lamberto, which I could not - a crying shame! I wanted to go meet all of the characters, the Baron included, even though he can be a too demanding and unpleasant man.
Federica Colombo
Sep 01, 2014 Federica Colombo rated it really liked it
Letto da grande perché ambientato in un posto che amo, l'isola di San Giulio sul lago d'Orta, lo consiglierei a chi vuole distrarsi e tornare per un giorno bambino.
Unico appunto, il titolo della mia versione era 'C'era due volte il barone Lamberto'.
Jane
Jan 23, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
Fun Fun Fun. At 93 Baron Lamberto is afflicted with as many ailments as he has banks. He discovers from an Egyptian fakir that he can live longer if his name is repeated over and over and over. He hires 6 people to live in his attic to do just that and discovers that he is, to his surprise, becoming younger and younger. His nephew is waiting for him to die believing he will inherit his uncle's fotune so he can pay his many debts. Then 24 Lambertos arrive to also take some of that fortune by forc ...more
Moonie Jarl
Feb 26, 2014 Moonie Jarl rated it really liked it
Scotchneat
Mar 04, 2012 Scotchneat rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
Originally written in the 70's when the Red Brigades were being dickheads in Italy, this book was just recently translated and released here.

It's a fable? Fairy tale? Amusing story in any case. Lamberto is a 93 YO millionaire who owns his own island, 24 banks and more than a handful of ailments. He gets the inside scoop in Egypt on how to get better and hires 6 people to chant his name 24/7.

Magically, he not only gets better, he gets younger. But then some namesake terrorists take over his islan
Marco
Sep 15, 2015 Marco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Libro carino e veloce da leggere, per niente impegnativo, e a tratti anche divertente. Non è un libro comico, ma è un libro che fa (sor)ridere. Non mancano i colpi di scena, che in un racconto del genere aiutano a prolungarne la durata...
Giuseppe
Mar 24, 2016 Giuseppe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una volta letto si ha voglia di vederlo. E per questo che l'ho scelto per lo spettacolo finale dei miei bambini. Un vero piacere.
Mary
Feb 13, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
This grew on me. In the end I thought it was brilliant. A great read aloud book. For children and adults.
  • The Bears' Famous Invasion of Sicily
  • Karaoke Culture
  • Un anno sull'altipiano
  • The Art of Asking Your Boss for a Raise
  • Vita d'un uomo - Tutte le poesie
Italian journalist and writer, particularly famous for his children books, which have been translated in many different languages but are not well known in the English speaking world. In 1970 he
was awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Medal for children's literature.

More about Gianni Rodari...