Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto

Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  55 reviews
A fable for children and adults: a story of life, death, and terrorism—in the grand tradition of Exupéry’s The Little Prince

When we first meet 93-year-old millionaire Baron Lamberto, he has been diagnosed with 24 life-threatening ailments—one for each of the 24 banks he owns. But when he takes the advice of an Egyptian mystic and hires servants to chant his name over and o...more
Published December 6th 2011 by Melville House (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto

Andrea
Romanzo breve spassoso e originale.
Il target a cui si rivolge non supera i dieci anni se letto in chiave letterale ma non per questo è meno bello. La storia che Rodari racconta non offre soltanto un divertimento serrato, una girandola di situazioni e personaggi esilaranti, ma anche un modo di leggere e interpretare il mondo, spesso grottesco, in cui viviamo.

C'era due volte il barone Lamberto è una metafora sull'esistenza umana e sul rapporto tra la fama, la vita e la morte che lo stesso autore,...more
Danielle
Dec 28, 2011 Danielle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Danielle by: Hannah
Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto by Gianni Rodari is an Italian children’s fable first published in 1978. At the beginning of the book we are introduced to Lamberto, a 93 year old Millionaire with over 24 life threatening ailments, and his loyal butler Mr. Anselmo. I enjoyed the connection these two characters had. You could tell from reading that Lamberto is a bit eccentric and that Anselmo is more straight lace and in a sense keeps Lamberto on his toes.

As we go further into our reading we learn t...more
Owen
Baron Lamberto, 93, lives on an island in the middle of a lake, where he monitors his 24 banks while his butler Anselmo monitors his 24 illnesses. But when an Egyptian fakir's anti-aging advice turns out to actually work, the Baron's unexpected youth and vigor interfere with people's plans to get their hands on his money—the people being his nephew Ottavio, and a group of 24 terrorists who invade the island and take the Baron hostage.

Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto is an old-fashioned fable told wi...more
Tyler Jones
I have a theory that books are living things - or at least they are while they are being read. I believe it is the act of reading that creates meaning. True, without writing there would be nothing to read, but writing is like building a house - rather pointless if it is never lived in. A book is alive when read the way the house is alive when lived in. Could it be that the act of reading not only infuses the book with the force of life, but makes the reader more alive also?

As we age we learn thr...more
Tze-Wen
Immensely amusing, full of funny coincidences and surprising plot-twists, I never suffered a moment of dullness. The baron is a very likable fellow, who never complains about his many maladies, but matter-of-factly checks their symptoms and status with faithful manservant Anselmo instead. He is always cheerful, even the morning after his throat is slit (don't ask). Numbers are important in the story: there are 24 banks, 24 bank managers (plus their secretaries), 24 terrorists and somewhere down...more
Claudia
Il mito della vita eterna

Letto quando ero una ragazzina. E riletto almeno altre tre volte.
Per me leggere un libro significa filtrarlo attraverso le mie esperienze, le mie emozioni e i miei sentimenti. Quando di un libro mi ricordo il luogo dove l'ho letto, l'emozione che mi ha accompagnato, il desiderio di finirlo ma anche il dispiacere per questa fine significa che per me è un libro che mi ha dato qualcosa, che ha contribuito alla mia "educazione sentimentale".
La semplicità della storia, la...more
Chris Schaeffer
I've seen comparisons to Calvino pop up (and they're apt-- even Calvino himself praises the book's 'lightness,' a loaded term for Calvino, on the cover) but I kept thinking of the Boris Vian of 'L'ecume des jours' and 'Heartsnatchers,' or a much more buoyant Gellu Naum. Funny and strange, with one of the best final paragraphs in memory: "Any reader who is dissatisfied with the ending is free to change it to suit them, adding a chapter or two to this book. Or even thirteen. Never allow yourself t...more
Elena
What a great idea I had to buy this book! I sincerely admit that I did not know this writer, and I got it because I have found a review from one of my favourite writers of all time - Italo Calvino - right on top of the cover.
This is a feel good book - it is a humorous fairytale for grown-ups, that could take place in our modern times. Lacking the pessimism characteristic to the surrealism genre, the book is a delight to read. I surprised myself several times laughing out loud.
Federico Maggioni...more
LAPL Reads
There is an ancient wise saying – almost a secret of the pharaohs – “The man whose name is spoken remains alive.”

Twice upon a time there was an exceedingly elderly gentleman named Baron Lamberto, who lived in the villa on his private island of San Giulio in the middle of Lake Orta. Baron Lamberto had the greatest chamomile collection on our planet. He had chamomiles from the Alps and the Caucasus, the Sierras and the Andes, and even from the Himalayas. In addition, he had collections of umbrella...more
Shelly
Baron Lamberto is ninety three years old and lives on the island of San Giulio in the middle of Lake Orta in the mountains of Northern Italy. Lamberto is very rich as he owns 24 banks around the world and on each continent and he is also very sick, having 24 ailments, one for each bank that he owns. Only his butler, Anselmo, remembers them all.

Baron Lamberto is told by an Egyptian mystic that the secret to youthfulness is to have your name repeated over and over so he hires six people to chant h...more
VAle
Uno dei miei libri preferiti da bambina, ho deciso di tentare la sorte (spesso la rilettura da grandi di ciò che si è amato da piccoli riserva brutte sorprese..) e rileggerlo: non me ne sono pentita! Magari ciò che ho amato un tempo non corrisponderà con ciò che ho amato in questa rilettura, ma Rodari incanta e diverte ancora!
Paul Oliver
A charming cross between the works of Italo Calvino, Aesop, and Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto is a fable for all ages and easily my favorite book from our fall list. I know. You're not supposed to pick favorites.
Julie (julie37619)
Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto is an Italian fable that has been popular in the country for years. It is the story of an old man, Lamberto, who discovers the secret to life is having his name spoken repeatedly. He hires a team of employees to constantly speak his name and quickly rediscovers his youth and vitality. But his nephew, eager to inherit his fortune, wants to discover his secret. Not only that, but his island villa is taken hostage by a team of terrorists with bizarre demands.

Writing

It's...more
Book Blogging Beauties
Wythe Marschall
Gianni Rodari's Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto (originally published as C’era due volte il barone Lamberto, translated from the Italian by Anthony Shugaar) is an illustrated fairytale novella ensconced firmly in the tradition of magical realism: The tri-titular Baron Lamberto keeps himself alive by paying six suckers to say his name, in shifts, smoothly, over and over again all day and night. This doesn't work for anyone else, just the Baron. Why? Who cares. Lamberto—incredibly rich, impossibly ch...more
Kevin
I am not real familiar with this works history - "one of Italy’s most beloved fables" - but something about it intrigued me.

It turned out to be an easy read and rather witty in places but somewhat inexplicable as well - but fables often have this quality I suppose.

What makes the story interesting is the blending of the all too believable with the incredible. The characters interact in humorous but totally believable and understandable ways. We recognize the stock type characters (dedicated butle...more
May 11, 2012 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: Book Club
Shelves: book-club
This is a sweet and, as one of my fellow book-club babes said, playful book. It's a fairy tale with a great sense of humor (reminiscent of James Thurber's Many Moons) and even though it's most likely geared for late elementary school readers, it's a boatload of fun for readers of any age.

It only took me about two train commutes to get through, and since some of the book's Italian townspeople have particular feelings about the unreliability of train riders (they tell tall tales because there's n...more
Federica Colombo
Letto da grande perché ambientato in un posto che amo, l'isola di San Giulio sul lago d'Orta, lo consiglierei a chi vuole distrarsi e tornare per un giorno bambino.
Unico appunto, il titolo della mia versione era 'C'era due volte il barone Lamberto'.
Jane
Fun Fun Fun. At 93 Baron Lamberto is afflicted with as many ailments as he has banks. He discovers from an Egyptian fakir that he can live longer if his name is repeated over and over and over. He hires 6 people to live in his attic to do just that and discovers that he is, to his surprise, becoming younger and younger. His nephew is waiting for him to die believing he will inherit his uncle's fotune so he can pay his many debts. Then 24 Lambertos arrive to also take some of that fortune by forc...more
Roberta
Sulle sponde del lago d'Orta si consuma, si fa per dire, un dramma: il barone Lamberto, ringiovanito grazie al consiglio di un santone egiziano, è messo in pericolo sia dal nipote che lo vuole morto per incassare l'eredità, sia da un manipolo di banditi che portano il suo stesso nome.
Ottima fiaba per bambini con infiniti sottintesi per adulti. Il nipote Ottavio è gravato dai debiti di gioco (dei birilli) e del bere (gazose). Sindaco e negozianti sono felici del turismo in più che è stato portat...more
Mary Lennox
Scotchneat
Originally written in the 70's when the Red Brigades were being dickheads in Italy, this book was just recently translated and released here.

It's a fable? Fairy tale? Amusing story in any case. Lamberto is a 93 YO millionaire who owns his own island, 24 banks and more than a handful of ailments. He gets the inside scoop in Egypt on how to get better and hires 6 people to chant his name 24/7.

Magically, he not only gets better, he gets younger. But then some namesake terrorists take over his islan...more
Mary
This grew on me. In the end I thought it was brilliant. A great read aloud book. For children and adults.
Temperamente
«Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto…» ripetono, dalla mattina alla sera, le sei persone assunte dal ricco e anziano barone Lamberto, con l’unico scopo di pronunciare il suo nome. Che stranezza è mai questa? L’uomo il cui nome è detto resta in vita, recita un antico proverbio egiziano, che il barone ha preso davvero alla lettera. L’esperimento, però, sembra funzionare! Il barone ringiovanisce, ringiovanisce, fino a rinascere.

Continua a leggere: http://www.temperamente.it/ragazzi/c%...
Caleb Wilson
An exuberant little fable full of wit and wordplay; more nice turns of phrase and plot than I could count, in what I think is the first English translation. I read about this one on the website of Melville House, Melville House being one of my favorite small presses, with one of my favorite book-related blogs. I also happen to be the proud owner of a new "I WOULD PREFER NOT TO." Bartleby the Scrivener t-shirt (for sale on said website.)
oriana
Dec 08, 2011 oriana marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-soon
Melville House has an amazing marketing / promotion team. Did you see that thing they did with the penguin books? And now this: for every ten people who tweet #lambertolambertolamberto, the price of the ebook drops 1¢. Built-in buzz + discount prices + mysterious tweets = win for Melville House.
Page99
'It’s a miracle book! It’s weird and fantastical! It’s a comedy! And it’s a reverse fairytale! It’s all the things which the cover shouts out loud! The illustrations by Federico Maggioni are exquisite and refreshing but a little mismatched at times (ignorable hiccup, thank god). Gianni Rodari captivated me with his crisp, precise and.....' Read more: http://bit.ly/14FWgag
Katie
Eh. I was excited to read this one, but pretty lackluster by the end. It was a cute story, but it just dragged for me. I think it's because I thought the buildup to Lamberto getting younger would have been drawn out more; instead, that event occurs in the first few pages...and then more things happen that were not particularly exciting, IMHO. So, to sum up: eh.
Tyler Crumrine
A modern Italian fable with a nice mix of predictability and unexpected twists and turns. Satisfying in all the right places and novel in others. The best part is the self aware, humorous narration. A lot of cute, fun wordplay. It's definitely something I'd read to young-uns some day just as long as I could get all the Italian pronunciations down.
Andy
This book cracked me up! At first, the mannered "children's book style" was a little annoying, but I enjoyed the pen and ink illustrations and the modern touches that made it clear the book took place more or less today. Anyway, worth sticking with it. It's funny, silly, profound, whimsical, amusing and interesting.
  • Faithful Ruslan
  • Uomini e no
  • Dialogues with Leuco
  • Il partigiano Johnny
  • Le tigri di Mompracem
  • Venere privata (Duca Lamberti, #1)
  • La scomparsa di Majorana
  • Keith Haring Journals
Italian journalist and writer, particularly famous for his children books, which have been translated in many different languages but are not well known in the English speaking world. In 1970 he
was awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Medal for children's literature.

More about Gianni Rodari...
Приключения Чиполлино Cuentos Por Telefono The Grammar Of Fantasy: An Introduction To The Art Of Inventing Stories Gelsomino en el país de los mentirosos Il libro degli errori