Start by marking “Gideon” as Want to Read:
Gideon

Gideon (Gossie and Friends)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Meet Gideon, the newest addition to Olivier Dunrea’s gaggle of adorable goslings! Gideon likes to splash with the ducklings, hop with the frogs, play chase-the-piglets, and scamper all over the farmyard. But one thing busy Gideon does not want to do is take his nap, no matter how many times his mother asks . . . until he gets tired, of course.

Another darling gosling makes
Published February 8th 2012 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published February 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Gideon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gideon

Tima
Gideon is a tiny little gosling who wants to play all day. So when his mother calls for him to come take a nap, he refuses to come. Gideon runs off to play some more. Gideon plays with all of the animals in the barn yard, but soon his mother finds him fast asleep in the hay. He could not stay awake for another moment.

The bright, colorful illustrations are centered on every page and help tell the story. The font is large so the beginning readers can see the words. The vocabulary fits well with th
Dee
This is a fun little book. The illistrations and words are simple. The subject matter is something kids can relate too. Not wanting to nap and play all day. I don't know the morals of the book as Gideon doesn't listen to his mother and randomly falls asleep on a hay stack, but fun little book.
Meg McGregor
Do you have a little one that says it is not nap time - but play time?

Well meet Gideon - a little ruddy gosling whose whole day is play until he falls asleep on top of the haystack!

Sweet dreams,Gideon !
Barbara
Gideon, a ruddy gosling, doesn't want to stop moving. He plays and plays all day, and when Mama Goose tries to get him to take a nap, he refuses. When he finally collapses, it's in a most surprising place, and I suspect Mama is so relieved to have some peace and quiet that she'll just let him rest where he is lying. The pen-and-ink and gouache illustrations against a generous proportion of white space have a simple appeal to them, possibly because of all the creatures Gideon encounters and all t ...more
Nancy
Cute, even though Gideon is rather disobedient....
Kaethe
We were huge fans of Dunrea's adorable little books when the girls were toddlers. It's been a few years now, but I was delighted to pick this one up. Gideon is a little turbo-charged bird, going full-tilt all day. I heard Samuel Jackson narrating this in my head as I read, as in the audio of (view spoiler)

Library copy.
Christina
The series begins with Gossie & Gertie although they do not have to be read in any particular order. They are short, cute and fun books. They do not teach any higher values and morals; they are purely for entertainment. The reason I give them all four stars is because my son loves them so much, he carries them around with him everywhere and I like the art. Anything that encourages my semi-reluctant reader that well deserves a decent rating.
Lindsey
I love the simple, bright, fun illustrations! Gideon is a little gosling who does not want to take a nap because he is busy playing. Dunrea's pictures and straightforward text show Gideon in constant motion and busy-ness in such a cute way!

The story is cute for all ages but especially for toddlers who can laugh at Gideon, find his octopus toy in each picture, and identify with resisting naptime.
Ami
I adore Olivier Dunrea's gosling books. The illustrations are simple but very charming and the stories are fun. Best of all, my kids loved these books with their repetitive phrases and spirited characters. "Gideon" is as lovely as Dunrea's first books and I'm considering buying myself a copy, even though my kids have outgrown this series.
Arminzerella
I do like goslings. Gideon is a "small, ruddy gosling" who likes to play - all day. He also carries a yellow and red striped stuffed octopus (which only has 4 legs, so maybe it's a quatropus?). Very cute. Story is a bit repetitive, but that won't bother its audience (the wee).
Miss Pippi the Librarian
A new gossling joins Dunrea's collection! Gideon loves to play. He loves to play more than he loves to nap.

Theme: bugs
Additional themes: gosslings, naptime, playing
Shelli
Adorable! Gideon wants to play and play, even when his moth feels that he should be napping. Fun read aloud to share with young readers. Silly voices a must!
Donalyn
Gideon is a small, ruddy gosling who is much to busy exploring and playing to take a nap. Cute illustrations with lots of animals for young readers to see.
Christine
My 5 year old loves these books but I cant stand them. Why would I encourage my child to read a book that encourages him to not listen to his parents?
Maria
Gideon, the gosling who wants to play all day and not take a nap, is a great addition to the Gossie and Friends books.
Meredith
A little red-orange gosling named Gideon is the newest addition to Dunrea's farm. Super cute but not as cute as Ollie.
Lejuan Byford
My 3 year old loves to read this story about the small ruddy gosling who is too busy playing to take a nap.
Keeko
So sweet. Very cute and fitting illustrations. Oh, the days when I didn't want to take a nap.
Susannah Goldstein
Very cute. Simple and clean drawings and text-- perfect for the curious and active older toddler.
Kelsey
A fun continuation of the gosling series by Olivier.
Kristina
Cute story. One of my favorite illustrators.
Jess
cute story, as are all Dunrea's books.
Allison Parker
A
  • Animal Masquerade
  • Limelight Larry
  • Knight Night
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • Minette's Feast: The Delicious Story of Julia Child and Her Cat
  • How Many Jelly Beans?
  • Hide and Seek
  • Stick!
  • Naamah and the Ark at Night
Since his debut in 1983, author and illustrator Olivier Dunrea has created a steady stream of picture books, including concept books, stories of family life—modern and ancient—and stories about artists. Many of Dunrea's picture books testify to his love of animals and his interest in archaeology and folklore of the British Isles, and several—including Ravena, The Trow-Wife's Treasure, and Bear Noe ...more
More about Olivier Dunrea...

Gossie and Friends (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Gossie
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • Ollie
  • Ollie the Stomper
  • BooBoo
  • Peedie
  • Hop! Plop!
  • Merry Christmas, Ollie!
  • Ollie's Easter Eggs (Gossie and Friends)
  • Ollie's Halloween