Very Fond of Food: A Year in Recipes

Very Fond of Food: A Year in Recipes

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A stylish and charming cookbook from a rising food star that interweaves personal anecdotes about food and the good life with 100 simple and appealing seasonal recipes.

Bestselling author Sophie Dahl offers up 100 wholesome recipes for health-minded home cooks who yearn for a bit of indulgence in her gorgeous second cookbook. Favoring natural sweeteners, minimal meat, and a...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Very Fond of Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Very Fond of Food

Sabrina
This book is spectacular! Some of you may know that I host a food blog, www.signaturesabrina.com, where I love to try really fun and exotic recipes in the easiest way possible. Sophie Dahl is a girl after my own heart. This 270-page recipe book bursts with colour, vibrance, and unusual recipes with the easiest instructions. Sophie doesn’t overcomplicate anything. It’s just down-to-earth, delicious cooking.

What’s better, this isn’t just a run-of-the-mill recipe book. Sophie incorporates personal...more
Jennifer Rayment
The Good Stuff

Very Unique in terms of layout and recipes
Pictures are rustic and attractive
Interesting and quirky to read
She's nice to look at
Most of the recipes are very healthy with fresh natural ingredients
Some very unusual but tasty combinations
reminds me of some of the foods my English relatives enjoy
Wife says the index is good (nerd)

The Not So Good Stuff

recipe fonts and colours are hard to read and book doesn't stay open very well which makes ACTUALLY making the recipes very chal...more
Tima
This is a very unique cookbook. The author tells a story or adds her memories of the particular season that she's showcasing. Then the recipe is from what she remembers eating during that season.
The author is British, so some of the recipes are not what we might typically find here in the USA. But the ingredients seem fairly easy to find and the recipes are straight forward. I think the only problem someone might have is in converting the measurements from the metric system.

It's a cute cookbook....more
Liz
I absolutely love how many of the recipes in here are for two people. And despite several times when I've been making the dishes and having thoughts of....this isn't gonna be enough (and thinking that up to the last minute) each one that I've tried so far... has really been satisfying on several accounts.

They have this combination of elegance mixed with a rustic quality and it doesn't hurt to chuckle at her little anecdotes while deciding which one I want to make next. They aren't particularly...more
Penny McGill
It can't be easy to follow in the footsteps of Roald Dahl as your grandfather but Sophie's cookbooks are a delight. We read cookbooks at bedtime around here and some of these books inspire conversations as well as actual cooking. "Very Fond of Food" is so beautiful and includes wonderful descriptions of the author's adventures in cooking as well and her memories of cooks she has known. The photographs are just lovely and do inspire us to try something new but not so new that you have to drive ac...more
Phoebe
Absolutely beautiful. Sophie Dahl is a gorgeous writer, sometimes intentionally and wonderfully vague and other times, intricately descriptive. The recipes in the book are mostly above beginner level, yet approachable. The real reason to read this book is for the memories she offers up alongside her nostalgic recipes. The photography is breathtaking. A well traveled, experience-rich English woman, Sophie is an inspiration to me as a cook, writer, wife, gardener, slow food advocate, and humble su...more
Suzze Tiernan
This book is actually called Very Fond of Food. For visual effects (photos) I'd give this 4 stars, they are beautiful. For the stories, I'd give it 3 stars, as Sophie has some interesting ones to tell. For the recipes, sorry Sophie, I'd give it 1 star (or less). They are so pretentious, with so many unusual ingredients that not many home cooks would ever attempt them. BTW, Sophie's grandparents were Roald Dahl and Patricia Neal - now THAT was interesting!
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Very Fond of Food is a beautiful book with 100 recipes divided by season and time of day. The recipes celebrate health conscious eating and living, with plenty of indulgence thrown in too.
It is beautifully photographed and filled with humourous anecdotes from Sophie's life. Most importantly - it's delicious!

See my full review here - http://livinginthekitchenwithpuppies....
Josepha
Beautiful pictures, lovely prose and healthy dishes make this cookbook quite excellent. Some of the recipes are vegetarian and even vegan. What I love about Sophie Dahl is that she isn't afraid to use real health food ingredients like buckwheat and spelt as well as very unpopular products like tofu and soymilk (there is even a recipe for a tofu scramble).
Bernadette
A gorgeous feast for the eyes... I love the coloring and feel of the pages and the photos have a lovely tone and quality about them. Visual comes first can you tell? Great back stories to recipes, healthy interesting choices, inspiring! Another library book that I think I need to own. I seriously need more cook book space!
Rosemary
Another great cookbook from Sophie Dahl. I love how she always includes so many breakfast recipes. I particularly loved her modern day retelling of the Nutcracker in the Puddings chapter, very funny. Only downside is she uses quite a few hard to find ingredients.
Jocelin
The photography in this cookbook was simply dazzling. The recipes were a little adventurous for my taste. There was one recipe that seemed really tasty: Pineapple Mint Granita. I read this more as a photographic novel about food than a cookbook.
S Beverage
I like the organization for Sophie's cookbooks, and some of the breakfast offerings are very interesting. But overall, I'm underwhelmed by most of the recipes. Some of the ingredients are a tad too English for me. But still worth a look.
June
Aug 04, 2012 June marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Translation--From Season to Season: A Year in Recipes. Miss Dahl's Guide to All Things Lovely. Think my best bet is to go for the American version? :) In any language this book is tummy candy and, every bit as important (for me, anyway), EYE candy.
Relyn
Feb 02, 2014 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: food lovers
Recommended to Relyn by: I loved her other cookbook.
Oh, I do love Sophie Dahl's cookbooks. The pictures are always lush and her writing style is very companionable. I read them to read, you understand. Not for cooking. I don't cook. I eat, though. And I love words and beauty.
Christine
Beautiful but not terribly practical cookbook. It's one I wouldn't mind owning, but it's not the one I would go for first. I think the lemony lentil soup will be a new staple in my kitchen.
Beka
Sophie Dahl writes the type of cookbook that I don't take recipes from, but I still love to read it. Her descriptions and stories are fun and inspiring. It makes me want to cook and eat.
Samantha
I much preferred her last book. There are a few recipes in here I love... But most of them I probably wont make unless I'm bored and feeling a bit daring.
Emily
i think this one is even better than her first one, much more flexitarian, beautiful pictures, lovely stories, may have to buy this one
Lynda
Seasonal, simple and beautiful. Be warned though, only 100 recipes. The only recipe I have tried so far was good but not great.
Philippa
Another lovely cookbook from Sophie Dahl. Intrigued to try some of the veggie recipes, particularly the coconut sorbet.
Kiri
Gorgeous vegetarian recipes and Sophie is a wonderful writer. Very English!
Almost
a good fun read with a handful of easy looking recipes I want to try.
Sian Lile-Pastore
ah.. this book is lovely, delicious recipes and wonderful writing.
Alexandra Harper
Lovely, as always, Sophie.
Prettypinktulips
Prettypinktulips marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • River Cottage Veg Every Day!
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
  • The Pleasures of Cooking for One
  • Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes
  • Every Grain Of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less
  • Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Lidia's Family Table: More Than 200 Fabulous Recipes to Enjoy Every Day-With Wonderful Ideas for Variations and Improvisations
Sophie Dahl (born Sophie Holloway) is an English author, cookbook writer and former model. She was born in London, the daughter of actor Julian Holloway and writer Tessa Dahl. Her maternal grandparents were author Roald Dahl and actress Patricia Neal. Her paternal grandfather was actor Stanley Holloway. She was the inspiration for Sophie, the main character in her maternal grandfather's book The B...more
More about Sophie Dahl...
Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights Playing With The Grown Ups The Man With The Dancing Eyes Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories George's Marvellous Medicine