Whitetail Rock (Whitetail Rock, #1)
read book

Whitetail Rock (Whitetail Rock #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,258 ratings  ·  176 reviews
Free novella written for the M/M Romance group's "Hot Summer Days" event. ***Download the e-book HERE***
----------

Nikhil “Nik” Larson is a snarky, dark-skinned adoptee from India who grew up in the Whitest Town in America. Back to visit his parents Nik meets Trooper Jurgen Dammerung, a blond, butch motorcycle cop who’s so hot he leaves a con trail wherever he goes.

Jurgen i...more
free online fiction, 1st Edition, 71 pages
Published July 30th 2011 by Anne Tenino

julio
Mar 24, 2014 julio rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to julio by: Kimberly
Nik's a douche. A deluded, stupid, hostile little douche.

Making him the lead was probably a mistake, but must have been loads of fun to write—the lengths to which he goes in order to ruin his own happiness are incredible, and often funny.

Sadly, it seems only Julia Roberts can play a neurotic at all fetchingly—as in, without making you want to end her with a hatchet.

But, hey—the rest? Sparkling! Wonderful narrative voice, an impressively pure example of the prototypical romance, and a love intere...more
Bev
4.5 stars from me for this one, another really good, hot read from Anne Tenino, and FREE.

This was the story of Nik Larson, an snarky yet sensitive Indian adoptee and Jurgen Dammerung, a mountain of a motorcycle cop who is blond, butch and awesome!! They were sooo hot together!!

I liked that it also featured Sam from 'Too Stupid to Live' as Nik's best friend, and of course, as anyone who has read TSTL will know, Nik and Sam are very close, and tell each other everything, or mostly everything!!

Othe...more
Ingela
4 Stars - ... lovely!

This was a romantic and cute M/M novella. Nik is a complicated, rather touchy, guy who has a hard time believing that Jurgen really want just him. Born in India and adopted as a toddler, he has always been different, now also a weird gay guy. Jurgen is the new sexy motorcycle police in the small town. He seems to be very attracted to Nik. A shameless flirt is he as well....

More content and soul than the cover would suggest. Seventy pages free to download. Well worth reading....more
Shelley
3.5 Stars and plenty of reasons to read this one. But for the love of all that's hot and sexy, I can think of only one and his name is Jurgen and he looks like this...

photo 0d580bad-27bb-48ad-a17d-7f936c2d1aa1_zps02c7e3bc.jpg

He rides a Harley and screws like a machine. I also recall, between desperate panting and fanning of self that this is quite funny too. And it's free!!! Oh and I've read the follow up book which was pretty good too.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I have a addiction.

I feel completely compelled and helpless in the face of a free m-m romance books. I am drawn to them like a moth to a flame. I can't... stop... reading them!

On to the book at hand...

This was a quick, sexy, fun novella by Anne Tenino, who I've been meaning to read more of for some time. I liked that it explored the idea of race in the gay culture (albeit in a very passing manor in the context of a romance novel). I also have a mild sub-fetish with cops or law enforcement age...more
Heller
4.5

A fabulous free short about Nik, a graduate student, and Jurgen, a motorcycle cop. They meet when Nik and his friend Sam are visiting Nik's adoptive parents during a school break.

They start a blazing affair that goes from casual to intense but always passionate. This is very well written with some great MC's and a wonderful secondary character in Sam. Fun.
Jen
I will give you 10 reasons to read this book:

1) Porch sex.
2) Bathroom counter sex.
3) Office desk sex.
4) Post-testing bareback sex.
5) Leather motorcycle chaps (and matching gloves).
6) Handcuffs.
7) Sam.
8) Nik's snarkiness.
9) Jurgen. *SWOOOOOOOOON*
10) It's FREE. WHAT?!

Bonus reason: Ash would approve of Nik's reaction to being called "baby." *snicker*

I am a fan, Ms. Tenino. I am a fan.

My only major criticism is that I wanted some of Jurgen's POV, too. Because he is (view spoiler)...more
Audrey
3+ stars. Pretty smokin' sexytimes with a dominant alpha cop as the top.

This one was a little bit of a removed read for me, though. I just couldn't get into Nik and his narrative voice, which was too full of histrionics and insecurities for my taste. He seemed too immature, honestly, and I didn't really see what would have made Jurgen fall in love with him. Also, vice versa, Jurgen was such a strong-and-silent presence that I didn't see what Nik fell in love with, either. Don't get me wrong - I...more
Christina

3.5 Stars

This was HOT! There is some serious chemistry between these two guys.
Experiment BL626
Smutty and free. The book appealed to every one of my romance kinks, and the romance was interracial to boot (not something I commonly come across). This book would have been rated higher than 3 stars, but it wasn’t for two big reasons.

First reason: the main character

Nik wasn’t likable as I wanted him to be. I get his issues. I get his anger. But I couldn’t excuse him taking his anger out on undeserving Jurgen. Jurgen had been nothing but nice to Nik. Meanwhile, Nik was rude and selfish to Jurge...more
SueC
So here's the thing, I hate reading m/f romance novels. Nine times out of ten the leading lady (or I usually refer to them as the 'simpering mess') is damaged emotionally, winey, brick wall building, self doubting with a stick up her ass while pleading "surely he couldn't be interested in little-old-me". Then they try to fight being rescued by a great big hunk of spunk who'll tell them what they should wear, when to leave the house or better yet "not to bother thinken' 'bout that stuff no more s...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I loved this book. It was funny and sweet. Nik and Jurgen were an intense couple. I loved how Nik would stand up to Jurgen acting like he wasn't interested and then Jurgen would do his sexy little growling or purring and Nik would just cave. I loved Jurgen's possessiveness and his determination to have Nik even though Nik thought he'd just be a one-night stand. And those fucking chaps?!?!?! Fuck, can you say HOT????

Beyond that, it was just such a sweet story how they both fell for one another....more
Kelly  Maybedog
4.5 stars. The main character's lack of self-esteem and chip on his shoulder about his race was a little taxing but I just loved this story. It was well written, tight and smooth. The sex scenes were varied and very hot. The ending was so sweet I teared up a little.

More more more!!
MandyM
Brilliant, funny, real and So. Damn. Sexy! I think I might go back and try out the highlight function on my Kindle...

P.S. Now I know why everyone's asking about Sam's story.:)
Lenore
The name Jurgen was a turn-off for me. Plus I kept mentally adding the umlaut. Yes. I'm a weirdo like that. But it should be Jürgen Dämmerung.
Tam
Sep 06, 2011 Tam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I was disappointed when I realized this was over 20K words because I wanted to give it an A rating at BER. I hadn't had one in so long. Nik is a English postgraduate with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He grew up in a white town, the son of a white couple adopted form India. The only brown kid in town and later, the only gay kid which some were quick to take advantage of. He's home for a visit when he sees uber-alpha state trooper Jurgen. When he flirts, to his surprise Jurgen makes a move whi...more
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group, Hot Summer Days event.

3.75 stars I'm not one of those girls who goes gaga for guys in uniforms, I may have some authority issues... but that picture... kinda makes me melt. So anyway. 3 stars for the story, 5 stars for the sex. Averaged out at 4 but I rounded down slightly because Nik is just so annoying. I never really liked him. I get that he's supposed to have issues but he was overly sensitive and immature the entire time, albeit pretty funny. But...more
Amy ♥
I can’t believe this is a freebie! Seriously, I loved it more than other books that I’ve paid way too much for!! Sooo, I’m actually reading these out of order. I just finished Too Stupid to Live and then discovered the Whitetail Rock series. Oops! So I already knew Nik, Jergen and Sam before reading this. I enjoyed finding out how Nik and Jergen met. And I totally fell in love with Nik. He’s goofy and adorable, just like Sam. I can totally understand why they are best friends. Loved the ending a...more
Sara
I can't believe I did not read this sooner. What a fun story. I loved seeing bits of Sam (he is the reason I stopped Too Stupid to Live and went back to read this) and his hopeless romantic self but Nik and Jurgen? Goodness those two are fun, sexy and oh so swoony. This was such a fun read. Off to read the next one!
Elspeth
Mmmm, Trooper Eye Candy!

First Read June 12 2012
Katharina
Right after reading Sweet Young Thang I was in a total Anne Tenino rush, so I just continued with this one. I already knew Nik and Jurgen from Too Stupid to Live (which I adored and simply had to reread again after devouring this one and its sequel The Fix) and getting to know their story was awesome.

Nik is a feisty little dude, cautious by being singled out one too often for his skin colour in white small town America and for being gay. Coming back home during his vacation he meets Jurgen and J...more
Vivian Archer
Endearingly funny. Nik is prickly and Jurgen is stalwart which if you're in his shoes and pursuing Nik is required. Very adroit handling of race and homosexuality in small town America from different viewpoints, but never heavy-handed or preachy. Quite clever.

Kudos to Sam, Nik's best friend. Dorky and adorable has a special place in my heart.

Favorite quote:
"Not every childhood trauma can be healed by finding the right penis."
Mary
I really enjoyed the story of feisty, combative Nik and his boyfriend Jurgen. The relationship is respectful and hot and addressed a lot of very real issues and resolved a lot more in a short number of pages. Never once did the story feel rushed and the way the love affair developed was both realistic and romantic. Highly recommended.
Sunny
Nik's reactions to Jurgen made me smile, and their scenes were nice and steamy. The only thing that put me off was Nik's tendency to overreact at times, basically shutting down when he got upset about something. Each time he did it, I pictured my young son stomping off instead of explaining what upset him.
Missy Welsh
****
Fine. So he begged.
****

Best. Scene. Ever! sweartagod

I loved this story, Anne. Nik was hilarious times 10 and Jurgen on the porch was omgimcoming hot Hot HOT! Brilliant story!
Lori K
So funny, I put off reading these for so long. I think I resented them because they wen't Task Force books.
Heather C
Feb 07, 2013 Heather C marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: ebook, series, m-m, freebie
Eh...these guys were more interesting in Too Stupid to Live
Lili
Feb 25, 2014 Lili rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Short & Sweet! Loved it <3
Romance Readers R...: August m/m Buddy Read : Whitetail Rock 22 161 Aug 25, 2012 08:08PM
  • Taken
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • I Am the Highway
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • A Little Bit Country
  • Just One Kiss
  • Outfoxed (Glitter Fox, #1)
  • Sink or Swim (Don't Read in the Closet)
  • Sucker-Punch
  • Starting Over
  • Blindsided (Don't Read in the Closet)
  • More Than Words (Don't Read in the Closet)
  • Pyrogasm
  • Kiss and Tell (Kiss & Tell)
  • Mourning (Don't Read in the Closet)
  • Freedom's Souvenir
  • Open Tackle (Hot Summer Days)
  • Romeo and Julian: A Near-Tragedy Near Verona
Raised on a steady media diet of Monty Python, classical music and the visual arts, Anne Tenino rocked the mental health world when she was the first patient diagnosed with Compulsive Romantic Disorder. Since that day, with her trusty psychiatrist by her side, Anne has taken on conquering the M/M world through therapeutic writing. Finding out who those guys having sex in her head are and what to d...more
More about Anne Tenino...
Frat Boy and Toppy (Theta Alpha Gamma, #1) Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia #1) 18% Gray (Task Force Iota, #1) The Fix (Whitetail Rock, #2) Love, Hypothetically (Theta Alpha Gamma, #2)

“Sam. I've got news for you. Not every childhood trauma can be healed by finding the right penis."

Sam looked devastated. He opened and closed his mouth, eyes wide, then suddenly slumped back against the railing, unable to support himself anymore. "You mean," his voice was barely a whisper. "All those romance novels lied?”
102 likes
“He made me pick a safe word." Nik peeked between his fingers. Sam's mouth was hanging open.

"Oh." Sam's voice was a whisper. More of the throat clearing. "What did you pick?"

Not the question he'd been expecting. Nik looked up at Sam from under his hand.

"Lemonade."

"Lemonade?" Nik nodded. "Do you like lemonade?"

"Does it matter? Yes, I like lemonade."

"Shouldn't you have picked something you didn't like, to make sure there were no, um, inadvertent exclamations at an important moment?"

He dropped his hand and stared at Sam. "Who screams out 'lemonade' in the middle of sex?"

Sam blushed. Nik was momentarily grateful for his dark skin. "You'd be surprised," Sam mumbled.”
16 likes