Start by marking “The Boy Who Spoke Dog” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Spoke Dog

The Boy Who Spoke Dog (The Boy Who Spoke Dog)

When Jack washes up on a mysterious island after a deadlystorm, there's no one to help him, except for the dogs. The sheepdogs on the island have eyes that speak right to Jack's heart, especially one dog—Moxie. But when angry beasts called fangos threaten to destroy the island, Jack and his companions must fight to save it. Once the battle ends, Jack is changed. Will he ev ...more
Published June 2nd 2005 by Puffin Books (first published 2003)

Liz
Aug 20, 2011 Liz rated it it was ok
This was another one of Mia's books. She liked it just fine, but I didn't care for it. I kept expecting this shipwrecked boy to do something.....anything worth writing about and then all of a sudden at the end he can speak to the dogs......??????? then the next moment he is rescued and acts like a dog.......he wasn't even on the island with the dogs that long and didn't really interact with them much....it just didn't make any sense.
Rain Misoa
Nov 03, 2014 Rain Misoa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers and people who enjoy adventure!
Recommended to Rain by: Library
Shelves: must-own
What an adorable little book! I enjoyed the simplicity of it!

To read my full review, read here.
N.T. Embe
Sep 27, 2014 N.T. Embe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy survivor tales, out in the wilderness, alone. Dog-lovers will enjoy too~
Recommended to N.T. by: Saw it in my library and the title and cover illustration caught my heart!
This was a very quick, easy read. It reminded me of Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell, so if you're a fan of that story, I would highly recommend this one to you. It's the tale of a young boy who gets shipwrecked on an island with a pack of sheepdogs who act as the second part of the perspective. It's both the tale of a youth and the tale of an animal, and that unique balance makes this one a tale worth reading amongst the gamut of other stories that have the same theme. If you're a fa ...more
Nicole
Jun 11, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it
Not what I was expecting at all. It was a tad strange but I look forward to reading the sequel next. I really enjoyed how it was written form both the perspective of the dog and the boy. It was unique.
Zoey
Oct 26, 2016 Zoey rated it really liked it
Melanie
When Jack's ship wrecks he finds himself stranded and alone on an island. Or is he alone? When he sets eyes on a Border Collie he's sure there must be people nearby. After much searching Jack admits he must be alone on the island except for a pack of dogs who appear to be guarding a flock of sheep with no human direction. There is also a pack of evil dogs who prove to be a constant threat.

Jack is able to set up a shelter, figure out how to procure food and build a signal fire. Readers never beco
Mark Valentine
Jan 17, 2016 Mark Valentine rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventure
I see that many others have approbatively approved this book but I could barely finish it. Its tinny quality gave a frazzed reflection like a broken parlor mirror in an alleyway. Formula, formula, formula.

Designed to appeal to dog lovers or grandparents who buy books for their dog-loving grandchildren's infatuations, it read like a two-dimensional formula-framed story. That is, it is designed for reader's who want to identify with Jack, the castaway boy, and follow his moves as an extension of t
D
Dec 11, 2015 D rated it really liked it
As in The Isle of the blue Dolphins, a young person is stranded on an island and must use wits and emotional stamina to survive loneliness and three wild animal packs. This story is told from two different characters' points of view; the once already orphaned Jack, and Moxie, an inquisitive but wild border collie. Will they be able to understand one another and not be killed by the ferocious 'fangos'?
One of the things I like most about reading, is to be able to have an experience of another's f
Jessica
May 05, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok
What started out as a really good idea, really fizzled at the end.This could have gone places and been a most excellent book.

When the main character Jake, finally communicates with the dogs on the island and he sees the bigger picture of their survival, he is plucked from the island.

What to me is interesting is the fact dogs and sheep could survive so long on an island after man has left. There were the good dogs, the bad dogs(dogs who kill sheep so they-and everyone can survive) and the sheep.
Akin Owosina
Aug 14, 2016 Akin Owosina rated it really liked it
Mark Holbrook
Nov 24, 2014 Mark Holbrook rated it it was amazing
As a grandparent/volunteer, I read this book aloud to a combined 3rd/4th grade class for 20-30 minutes at each weekly reading. The children were attentive and loved it, always disappointed when I stopped. Their teacher added the book to their "recommended" list that is shared among other teachers of the same age group in the school district. She said her fellow teachers had been looking for a book that was told intermittently from two points of view.
Delshawn
Apr 29, 2014 Delshawn rated it it was ok
Shelves: harry-potter
I like the cover and how the story is set up. (Spoiler Alert) What I hate about the book is how Jack is stranded on an island inhabited by dogs. He could have just built a raft and sailed away from the island. He had to wait, when he could have cut down some trees and tied those together. He could have taken all of his food into the pot he found. I guess the author was trying to just get it done.
Julie
Mar 28, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
Adventure story about a boy who is shipwrecked on an island with only dogs. There are 2 kinds of dogs on the island: sheep and wild. The book goes back and forth between the points of view of the boy, and of one of the sheep dogs. I didn't think I'd like this but the changing points of view kept it moving along quickly and it pulled me in fast. It ended up being pretty good.
Amy
Apr 07, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
I finally finished it after renewing it about 5 times from the library. It's not very long, but I kept getting distracted by other books I've been reading. This book is short, sweet, and entertaining for a dog person like me. The ending is also a bit open-ended, allowing you to fill it in for yourself. Overall, I loved it.
Cadei
May 19, 2013 Cadei rated it liked it
exciting book about a boy who learns to think like a dog until he can speak to them. i wish he could have learned to speak to the dogs eirlier in the book. i still really liked it though. my favorite part is at the end because it gets really exciting. its not one of those books that gets really boring at the end. if you like dog books mixed with adventure you should read this book.
Robin
May 18, 2008 Robin rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: third grade and up
Really wanting to like this book but having trouble getting into it. Finished two others while hauling this one with me everywhere I go.

Well, after that slow start it wasn't too bad. But, just as things become interesting -- it ends! I think kids who like Hatchet and other survival stories will pick it up, but they won't be satisfied.
Bonnie
Jul 10, 2012 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Kelsy
Apr 23, 2015 Kelsy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dog-lovers and whoever want adventuer.
Recommended to Kelsy by: My mom, she knows I love dogs.
Shelves: own, favorite
The writing is well though out and anyone who love Island of the Blue Dolphins (Island of the Blue Dolphins, #1) by Scott O'Dell will love this as well.
Tania
Jun 20, 2014 Tania rated it really liked it
Shelves: noah
My 7 yr old loved this book. It has the adventure of a boy finding out how to survive alone on an island coupled with the endearing bond he forms with one of the dogs. My son was disappointed when the book ended and couldn't wait to read the sequel.
Katja
Sep 09, 2011 Katja rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I found myself drawing out the island that he was lost in to even further understand this book. What made me sad is in the end how he leaves Moxie (The main dog) Alone waiting for him. I recomend this book to anyone who loves dogs. Even if you dont! Read this book.
Dotty
Jan 30, 2011 Dotty rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Jack is washed up on an island populated by sheep, a group of sheep herding dogs and a group of renegade dogs turned wild, fangos. Jack and Moxie, a sheep dog, bond as a result of survival experiences.
Jaden
Jan 14, 2016 Jaden rated it it was amazing
I really love how the loyalty between Jack and Moxie just kept growing over time. Who wouldn't love a boy being stranded on an island and have a bunch of dogs with him. Plus this was one of the most wonderful novels I've ever read from a dog and a human's point of view.
Marsha
Oct 26, 2008 Marsha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids 6-13 and their parents
Shelves: ya-kids
This was a very well written story of a boy shipwrecked on an island with a group of sheep dogs who have been living alone on the island for many years.

I read this aloud to my 8 year old son and he loved it.

Great story.
Brian
Dec 11, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: oblock
It reminded me of Hatchet, Call It Courage, Julie of the Wolves, etc.
Kirsty
Overall it's a good story with an interesting writing style. I think it would particularly appeal to boys, although the plot line became a little confused towards the end of the book.
Kirsten
Aug 16, 2012 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-books, survival
This book was good overall. Just another survival story.
Evan D
Jun 04, 2009 Evan D rated it it was amazing
This book was very good but it was a little hard to under stand what they were saying or doing.
Sahara Alami
Sep 15, 2016 Sahara Alami rated it it was amazing
I cried
Susan Beals
May 25, 2014 Susan Beals rated it liked it
Don't forget to read the 2nd book, "The Boy Who Returned From The Sea".
Angelica Nugent
Mar 20, 2015 Angelica Nugent rated it it was amazing
I loved every word. I loved the way the Author explained situations through another species. I hope there will be a second but no it will ruin the book.
  • Dog Lost
  • Angus and Sadie (Davis Farm, #1)
  • Champ
  • Child of the Wolves
  • Mamba Point
  • Bringing the Boy Home
  • Stranded
  • A Bear Named Trouble
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)
  • White Star: A Dog On The Titanic
  • The Good Dog
  • Woman's Best Friend: Women Writers on the Dogs in Their Lives
  • Beast
  • William S. and the Great Escape
  • Lara and the Gray Mare (Hoofbeats: Lara and the Gray Mare, #1)
  • Wild River
  • The Puppeteer's Apprentice
  • Doglands
Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, Clay Morgan has worked as a teacher, a commentator for National Public Radio, and as a U.S. Forest Service smokejumper. Morgan lives with his wife, Barbara, an astronaut and teacher, and their two sons in McCall, Idaho. He is currently a creative writing professor at Boise State University.
More about Clay Morgan...

The Boy Who Spoke Dog (2 books)
  • The Boy Who Returned From The Sea (The Boy Who Spoke Dog, #2)