Risking It All: My Student, My Lover, My Story

Risking It All: My Student, My Lover, My Story

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In the spring of 2000, Heather Ingram, a 30-year-old high school teacher in a small town on the coast of British Columbia, was convicted of the sexual exploitation of a minor for having an affair with a 17-year-old student. Why would a highly respected and accomplished teacher take such a risk?

Ingram was one of the most popular and highly regarded teachers at Chatelech Sec...more
Published March 28th 2003 by Greystone Books (first published February 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Risking It All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Risking It All

Judy
Eh. I went into this hoping for some insight in her decision and the reasons why she decided to cross the line and develop a sexual relationship with her student. She was unhappy in her long term relationship with her boyfriend and then proceeded to cheat on him with someone who showed her some attention. She admits that really, she had nothing in common with her student except for a sexual attraction. She also makes some choices that were even more questionable, resulting in her losing almost e...more
Diana
If you are a teacher, you should read this book.

If you have ever fallen for someone much younger, or thought you could, you should read this book.

If you've ever cheated on your significant other, or only thought of it, you should read this book.

"Death is just around the corner, he whispers, but not morbidly. In my dream this statement sounds like an invitation... Come with me, come experience, come live. Don't wait - it could be gone before you know it."

When I started reading this book, I didn...more
Lesley
Wanted more insight on why this happens! Big disappointment! Though she tries to deliver an honest account of her life, it doesn't seem plausible! I got out of this that she has a hot looking kid in her class that paid her attention while she was second guessing her own adult relationship with her boyfriend. She cheats on and finally dumps boyfriend but why!!! So disappointing that she seemed to know she could lose her job but not realize so inappropriate on many levels! Uhmm teacher/student rel...more
Stephen
This was an interesting story. To me it highlights the complexities that can exist in any relation, and which are exacerbated in a relationship not only between a teacher and a student but a 29 year old and a 17 yo.
Erica
Ingram isn't the best writer, but her memoir makes up for her lack of fluidity with its insightfulness. I was torn between disgust for her actions and empathy. A controversial book. Recommended.
Cali Maldonado
Cali Maldonado marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Evi Van
Evi Van marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
shizuka amai
shizuka amai marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Marnie
Marnie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Jason Hepler
Jason Hepler marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Andrea Torres
Andrea Torres marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Hannah Goddard
Hannah Goddard marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Debbie
Debbie added it
Apr 16, 2014
Lilybella
Lilybella marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Brynn
Brynn marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Summaiya
Summaiya marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Cinamona
Cinamona marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Giulia
Giulia marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Kala
Kala marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Risking It All: My Student, My Lover, My Story Risking It All: My Student, My Lover, My Story