Start by marking “Risking It All: My Student, My Lover, My Story” as Want to Read:
Risking It All: My Student, My Lover, My Story

Risking It All: My Student, My Lover, My Story

In the spring of 2000, Heather Ingram, a 30-year-old high school teacher in a small town on the coast of British Columbia, was convicted of the sexual exploitation of a minor for having an affair with a 17-year-old student. A straight A student who graduated at the top of her high school class and won the award for top student in the secondary education program at the Univ ...more
Published February 9th 2004 by Greystone Books (first published February 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Risking It All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Risking It All

Judy
Apr 14, 2014 Judy rated it it was ok
Eh. I went into this hoping for some insight in her decision and the reasons why she decided to cross the line and develop a sexual relationship with her student. She was unhappy in her long term relationship with her boyfriend and then proceeded to cheat on him with someone who showed her some attention. She admits that really, she had nothing in common with her student except for a sexual attraction. She also makes some choices that were even more questionable, resulting in her losing almost e ...more
Diana
May 30, 2008 Diana rated it it was amazing
If you are a teacher, you should read this book.

If you have ever fallen for someone much younger, or thought you could, you should read this book.

If you've ever cheated on your significant other, or only thought of it, you should read this book.

"Death is just around the corner, he whispers, but not morbidly. In my dream this statement sounds like an invitation... Come with me, come experience, come live. Don't wait - it could be gone before you know it."

When I started reading this book, I didn
Lesley
Jan 17, 2013 Lesley rated it did not like it
Wanted more insight on why this happens! Big disappointment! Though she tries to deliver an honest account of her life, it doesn't seem plausible! I got out of this that she has a hot looking kid in her class that paid her attention while she was second guessing her own adult relationship with her boyfriend. She cheats on and finally dumps boyfriend but why!!! So disappointing that she seemed to know she could lose her job but not realize so inappropriate on many levels! Uhmm teacher/student rel ...more
Dale Stonehouse
May 18, 2015 Dale Stonehouse rated it really liked it
My interest in this is mainly because it takes place in Canada, where law and culture are unique, especially on the west coast. A little overly exhibitionist emotionally, but without that a book length story would not be possible. The main theme eventually becomes the contrast between codependency in the extreme and personal sovereignty as world views.
Stephen
Feb 24, 2013 Stephen rated it liked it
This was an interesting story. To me it highlights the complexities that can exist in any relation, and which are exacerbated in a relationship not only between a teacher and a student but a 29 year old and a 17 yo.
Chelsea
Sep 03, 2014 Chelsea rated it really liked it
A super-intriguing but super-disturbing account of the author's affair with her 17-year-old student. Bizarre - she didn't see anything wrong with what she was doing. A fascinating read, but made me want to...take a shower or something. Ugh.
Erica
Mar 28, 2011 Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
Ingram isn't the best writer, but her memoir makes up for her lack of fluidity with its insightfulness. I was torn between disgust for her actions and empathy. A controversial book. Recommended.
Isabella Suarez
Isabella Suarez rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2013
Cathy Howland
Cathy Howland rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2012
Courtney Wachob
Courtney Wachob rated it liked it
May 06, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Zahrah
Zahrah rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Liliana Blum
Liliana Blum rated it did not like it
Aug 08, 2014
J.T. Marsh
J.T. Marsh rated it did not like it
Feb 05, 2017
Melissa Lake
Melissa Lake rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2011
Greystone Books
Greystone Books rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2014
Joy-see
Joy-see rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2012
Janie
Janie rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2009
Rula
Rula rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Stacey Baker
Stacey Baker rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Cyndi
Cyndi rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
May 04, 2014
Lisa Aubin
Lisa Aubin rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2017
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2012
Jenn Studebaker
Jenn Studebaker rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014