It's a Green Thing

It's a Green Thing (Diary of a Teenage Girl #15)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  18 reviews
For the first time that she can remember, Maya Stark is beginning to feel like a “normal” teenager. Even with her mother in jail for drug possession and her pop-star father away on his comeback tour, Maya’s new life with her uncle Allen and cousin Kim is coming together. Summer vacation’s just beginning, and with a new job, a new boyfriend, and a new car (hybrid, of course...more
Published April 21st 2009 by Multnomah Books (first published January 1st 2009)

Michelle
This story was totally amazing. I'd had this book laying around and thought I'd give it a try. I didn't know when I started reading it that I'd absolutely love the story. It's not just about recycling. It's more about how God can take the junk in our lives and make something good come from it. I recycled in the 1980s in NY when I lived there, and when I lived in Phoenix in the 1990s, but where I live now there is no such thing. Sigh.

Regardless, I didn't think the theme of the book sounded all th...more
Rhayna Kramer
I just enjoy reading Melody Carlson's books. There is not one book I have been disappointed with yet. I always learn God's Word in a modern-day but still relevant account and the messages throughout each story give me much to ponder upon as I live my life. The two most important lessons that I have learned from this book are about forgiveness and how important abstinence is, from anything ungodly. The fact that Jesus committed no crime but took the bullet anyway just hit me like a ton of bricks....more
This was a good book - I am so glad Maya's life is turing out better than in book one :). The green tips still kind of grate on my nerves, but a fun, easy read. And, like the other books in this series, hard issues are tackled liked pre-marital sex and drawing boundaries.

And it brings back characters from previous Diary of a Teenage Girl series, which I always enjoy.
Kelly
Although I got in on this series in book two, I still found it to be enjoyable. There was a little background I would have liked, but the main points were filled in for me.

Maya is a teenage girl who longs for a "normal" life. I imagine it would be odd to think that anyone would want a normal life rather than be the daughter of a music idol, but when that part of your life also had you attached to an addict mother...normal might sound pretty good.

Maya is a new Christian and is fortunate to have a...more
Jill Williamson
Review by Jill Williamson

In honor of Earth Day, I thought I’d post the second book in the new Maya, Diary of a Teenage Girl series, since Maya is way into all things green.

Maya Stark is finally beginning to feel like a normal teenager. She’s enjoying summer vacation with her uncle and cousin and getting involved in the community. One of her new projects is to paint a mural on the wall of a kids center. Maya organizes a bunch of volunteers, but is frustrated with the way the Christian girls are...more
$hanel
It`s a Green Thing is the second book in Diary of a Teenage Girl Maya. In the second novel Maya goes out to live in California to live with her older cousin and Uncle and the best part is that Maya gets to go somewhere she`s been willing to go in forever; SCHOOL! Maya couldn`t be any happier to live a normal life with her awesome cousin! Maya also dosen`t have to do with any crazy parents and she`s on her own. Maya makes a lot of new friends and even Caitlin and her husband Josh who both teach h...more
Kristen
I don't know... I thought that there were too many plots going on at once and there wasn't a lot of character development.
Aurora
I saw this book on the shelf a few times before I actually picked it up and am so glad I did! Christian fiction can be really corny and mediocre at times but there are a few gems that I have enjoyed! I love all the green tips that Maya shares after each chapter/journal entry. I even began posting some of them on Facebook =) I just may go looking for the other books in the series. You don't need to read them in order though, unless you're very strict about that yourself lol
Zyrah Samar
I can very much relate with the struggles that Maya had been gone. Oftentimes, like her, feel like my faith in the LORD weaken because of the horrible things happening in my life. I am not a perfect Christian, but Maya's story has made me comprehend that even though how much my life is messed up, God can always renew me if I will ask Him to. Aside from that, I learned that boy-girl relationships should be under God's provisions. Hmm, God is good. :---)
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a great book. I really enjoyed reading it. I love Maya as a character she is so strong. I just love her story and all the struggles she had to over come. I can not wait to keep reading books on her.
Alex
Parts of this book made me roll my eyes (Caitlin and her no-dating thing is grating) but the whole lawsuit thing was pretty awesome. I hope there is another one.
Kayla Mannlein
I loved this series as a young adult. Even though I cannot relate to Maya's lifestyle or scenarios I like how God has a way of touching many lives.
Nirel
I really love Melody Carlson and all of her books but some of the dialogue between Maya and her friends just felt weird to me......
Sara
a book that teaches you about saving the enviorment and how to go through things that other teenagers have to go through
Jessica Jackson
I learned a lot from this book; it showed me a lot, and I am glad that I had the chance the read this.
Claire
i liked how it ended. and i enjoy seening maya pasion for going green.
Kristina
I finished this awesome book in 4.5 hours. I'm pretty happy about that. ^_^
Christine
Christine is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Katelyn
Katelyn marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Jordan Nicholas
Jordan Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Ebuckner1015
Ebuckner1015 marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
  • The Fall of Candy Corn (Sweet Seasons, #2)
  • Be Strong & Curvaceous (All About Us, #3)
  • Departures: Two Rediscovered Stories of Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen
  • Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #1)
  • Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble (Real Life, #2)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi...more
More about Melody Carlson...
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1) Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1) Christmas at Harrington's Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7) It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2)