Start by marking “Days Like This” as Want to Read:
Days Like This

Days Like This

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  53 reviews
She has to escape.
But who else is out there?
And can anyone survive days like this?

I want to go back to the days when life made sense. The days before our parents became strange; before the warming ate away at all the living things in the world; before The Committee and their Blacktroopers. Before the Wall.

Lily is a prisoner in her own home. Forced to stay inside by The Com
Published August 1st 2011 by Penguin Australia (first published July 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Days Like This, please sign up.

Alison Stewart Hi Arthur,
I'm sorry, I only just saw your question. I'll try and answer it.

Lily only finds happiness towards the end of the book. You will find the…more
Hi Arthur,
I'm sorry, I only just saw your question. I'll try and answer it.

Lily only finds happiness towards the end of the book. You will find the following quote on Page 294 that expresses Lily's happiness:
"In Kieran, Lily found enough compassion, enough love, to balance what she'd lost. His unconditional care helped her adapt to the changes that had inundated her life as completely as the water. 'I want to be with you forever,'he told her one day. 'I love you, Lily.' 'I love you too, Kieran.' "

Lily is very resilient, adaptable and tough. You could consider a photo of the daisy, which is a tough and resilient plant, to represent Lily.
I hope this helps.
All the best, Alison
(less)
Alison Stewart
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Froi of the Exiles by Melina MarchettaBurn Bright by Marianne de PierresEnticed by Jessica ShirvingtonBlood Song by Rhiannon HartHades by Alexandra Adornetto
2011 Aussie YA releases
8th out of 56 books — 191 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
283rd out of 1,163 books — 6,917 voters

More lists with this book...

Nomes
Aug 03, 2011 Nomes marked it as graveyard-of-abandoned-books
I was really excited for this Aussie dystopia. That cover (!) The comparison to John Marsden's 'Tomorrow Series' (My fave series of all time) (!) and just general Aussie YA coolness (!) ;)

Also, 'Days Like This' was a grand finalist in the Amazon breakthrough novel competition (a really tough competition) ~ so my congrats on that.

Unfortunately, this is not the book for me.

I'm abandoning it 100 pages in. I haven't read enough of the plot to say whether it gets really, suddenly good or not. (some
ALPHAreader
Lily, her brother Daniel and their little sister Alice have not left the house in three years. They, like all other children, have been locked away from the outside world for their own safety, so say the Central Governing Committee. The Committee have had the people’s best interests at heart ever since The Wall was built 12 years ago. When water became scarce and only the privileged could afford to drink, The Wall was built to cordon off the wealthy areas around Sydney Harbor, keeping out the ri ...more
Cass -  Words on Paper
3.5/5

It is no mystery that the Dystopian genre is growing. Looking into a far changed society that has become otherworldly, I sometimes forget that these things happen supposedly on the other side of the world. Well this book happens to take place in Sydney!

Days Like This follows Lily, who has not stepped outside of her house since the Wall was built. The Warming has stripped the land bare; anyone living outside the priviledged area around Sydney is left in the barren wasteland to perish without
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Since I read to the 100 page mark, I rated this book. The book does way too much telling, the logic behind the world building doesn't make much sense AND it was way too preachy. It was the preachiness that stopped me.

oh yeah... forgot to mention one of my other pet peeves came through this book.... the kids called their parents by their names not "mom" or "dad" (or whatever you would call them during that time/place). It felt so damn weird. I can understand in one aspect if they feel disconnect
Nic
Favourite Quote: Lily felt a tiny shift in the air. The hairs on her arms stood up. The troopers were coming. She sprinted along the street, examining the Wall for some notch or hole to scurry into. There was nothing - just an endless smooth expanse. Black clouds writhed under the heavy sun as the morning closed on midday.

In one sentence: Fast paced read that has plenty of heart-stopping moments as it climbs to the climax.

Days Like This is a dystopia novel set in in Sydney. Where there is a wate
Reynje
2.5 stars. (This book was a solid 2 star read for me, until the final third, when I found the story became much more engaging.)

This is a difficult review to write (and a difficult rating to give), because I wanted to love this book. So badly.

I think I went into this novel expecting some kind of awesome hybrid of ‘Tomorrow When the War Began’ and ‘How I Live Now’ – and perhaps I was basing this assumption entirely on the striking cover, which I love. Unfortunately, despite the captivating synops
Brodie
Thanks to the increasingly harsh effects the Warming has had on the environment, 12 years ago a Wall was built around Sydney Harbour to protect those living in privileged areas. When food and water is becoming scarce, it seems only the rich are entitled to a chance at survival. Those outside the Wall were left to defend themselves, while those within the Wall began a supposedly perfect life...

Twins Lily and Daniel, along with younger sister Alice, have been prisoners inside their own home for th
Tiffany
CAN ANYONE SURVIVE DAYS LIKE THIS?
Days Like This by Alison Stewart
Published by Penguin Group, 2011
Reviewed by Tiffany Hong

Days Like This is an action-packed, thrilling, dystopian, Young Adult novel that has even been shortlisted for the 2010 Amazon/Penguin Breakthrough Novel Award and was chosen as 1 of 3 finalists in the Young Adult section. Alison's writing is quite easy to understand and her references to history and her inspiring and amazing characters make the book even more impressive.

Su
Dale
Interesting to have a dystopian novel set in Australia. I would have liked some more background about why things became the way they are in the story; how long they have been like that for etc. It obviously isn't set too far in to the future due to some of the place references, but things seem to have hit the roof pretty quickly.

I do think that the ending (view spoiler)
Melissa
This one hooked me in completely at the beginning.. So many questions to answer!!

Loved this one.

Great read!
Seonaid
Days Like This is an exciting read but it's more than that. It skilfully presents an array of moral conundrums for the intelligent reader to negotiate and in the end, aren't books meant to encourage us to examine our own humanity?
These are questions I thought about after reading Days Like This: How much does addiction affect the way we behave? What should be done about our scarce resources and more importantly, who should be given access to these resources? Who should make these decisions?
We d
Joy (joyous reads)
Have you ever had a book in your hands that you want to rush reading but you can’t because you’re scared you'll miss a whole lot? Like you can't read fast enough? You just want to keep flipping to the next page because you just HAVE to know what happens next?

Or you just want to stop reading because you feel like you’re about to suffer a coronary?

Well, this book just about did me in.

Three words: Pulse pounding action.

While the world of the future lay in arid, ugly ruins, the community inside th
Braiden
What makes books more interesting for the readers is when it has a setting close to home. What made me want to read Days Like This was that it was set in Sydney, but a very different and changed Sydney than that which we know of today. No matter if it was set in Perth or some unknown shanty town in the country, I would have still been filled with excitement because it is set in Australia. Sure, there’s many contemporary books set down under, but not really much of dystopian, the current ‘thing’ ...more
Kai (Amaterasu Reads)
Review posted at Amaterasu Reads

Futuristic Sydney is unlike anything anyone expects it to be. Because of Global Warming, The Wall has been built. Water levels have been rising, quakes happen, temperatures rise everyday and nothing's been the same in Lily's life ever since the Wall has been built by the Committee 12 years ago. Blacktroopers are everywhere and forcing people to take pills, her parents could care less of her, her twin brother's sick and she has never set foot out of the house in
Kitt
Totally loved this book in so many ways. It's a wild ride for sure, fast paced but it's also skilfully written, not just an action driven extravaganza.
Thoughtful readers will see that there are many layers here, moral issues like the consequences of inaction on global warming, what to do about our dwindling natural resources, the powerlessness of young people, greed, corruption, and a perverse desire for immortality that's also reflected in today's society. Go dystopia!
And it's like it was wri
A Thousand Words Festival
Days Like This took me a bit longer to get into. However once I was in, it was equally rewarding. The problem (on of the few) was that there are so many big issues to explore in a dystopian society that standalone books don’t often get to explore everything they introduce as fully as they could. It is actually an excellent book, and I wish that I could have spent more time with the characters and really nutted out the whys of this intriguing society. As with Legend it is the characters that make ...more
Pip
A truly thought provoking book. I really would like to recommend this one. It's a fast paced story with Lily as a quite feisty heroine; but there are other empowered characters as well like Kieran. I love dystopia and I really like it that this one is set in Sydney, Australia because so much has been set in the US. Don't be put off by bleak themes because these are things we should be looking at anyway like global warming and the emphasis on staying young forever, also the battles between rich a ...more
Linda
Days Like This was an exciting fast-paced page-turner. I couldn't wait to find out what would happen to Lily next so was glued to the pages till the end, unlike a lot of adventure books I've read where the pace is poor and I don't feel the need to race to the end at all. I liked the author's style of writing too - tight, descriptive and engaging the reader in the characters and story. This Australian book is aimed at young adults but will appeal to all ages because my family and I, who are past ...more
Debbie Blombery
Even though this book is aimed at the Young Adult age group, I loved it.

It was a quick read, as the suspense kept me going. A frightening tale, all the more so as it is potentially not that unrealistic.
So many of the issues that face us were entertwined into the tale -- global warming, obsession with youth, racism, possibly some reference to apartheid.

The Sydney setting was both appealing and scary for me, being a Sydneysider myself.

I highly recommend this thought-provoking and beautifully writ
Romi
Thank you to Penguin Books Australia for this review copy!

Probably the third dystopian I had ever read, Days Like This was quite startlingly different from the other two (Matched and The Giver)- it was harsher, in it's ways, more violent and totally spun me up into it's tale; I wasn't sure what I thought about it for some time, whilst I read, but gradually I started to love it, started to become a part of the story, and now I remember it fondly (and yearn for a reread) as one of my favourites.
Melissa
5 Stars, hands down!!!

This was a very creepy look at a future world where The Commitee dictates the lives of its residents who live inside "The Wall." And it's not a pretty picture, at all. You needs to check this out!

A HUGE THANK YOU to author Alison Stewart for sending me a copy of her book after I was having trouble getting it myself! I was so intrigued by the description, that I had to have it...and I'm so glad I had a chance to read some of her work!
Suzy (ereaderuser)
While I can't say this was my favorite dystopian ever, it was up there. From the minute I started this book it sucked me in and I was hooked.

The story dealt with issues of addiction, our treatment of the earth, and societies obsession with youth and beauty. There was plenty of suspense, action, and interesting characters too.

Overall I give this a 4.5/5 and I always round up! I will definately read more from this author.

Mary
this book is short, simple yet moving and i have a lot of ways to describe how great this novel is...

when i found out it was set in australia, sydney... i got excited... but as i read it, it made me wonder if in the future our government will b like the government in the novel... even though there r ups n downs, good always rules out evil...

@ the end, its a happily ever after... very sweet...

Erin
DAYS LIKE THIS is a wonderful tale about a corrupt world, one that is being constantly surrounded with greed and vanity. With a strong female character bringing this shocking new world to life, Stewart's new book will get Aussie readers and even international ones on the edge of their seats!

Full review: http://talesoftheinnerbookfanatic.blo...
Sharkcrow
A YA dystopian novel set in Sydney? Yes please!!! The first bit of this story was a but slow, and some of the action was a bit too Matthew Rielly, but overall this was a gripping, thought provoking story. Plus, it's a stand alone - so rare these days!!

I found the main character very likable, and she doesn't run around constantly making bad choices like so many other YA heroines.
Jess - The Tales Compendium
In A Nutshell:
Stewart has cleverly woven together the hot topic of global warming with the escalating obsession of looking young and beautiful forever. A fast paced novel for dystopian fans.

For my full review, please visit my blog:
Rabbiereader
I loved this book. It made me think and it had some scary premises. Aussie dystopia - excellent! Sequel please???? Ending very "open ended"
Sarah Johnston
Fantastic, atmospheric futuristic story.
Angus
Exciting read, loved every page!
Lyndee
Tis book was interesting. I haven't read anything moderately like it before and I'm not quite sure how to rate ut to be completely honest! The plot was very well constructed and the authors voice was clear and consistent throughout the text. I can't actually pin point what i didn't like about this book. while this is the case I don't think this book was "utterly fabulous" nor terrible.
  • Only Ever Always
  • Alaska
  • Genesis (The Rosie Black Chronicles, #1)
  • The Bridge
  • Just Macbeth
  • Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight
  • Night Beach
  • Darkwater
  • A Pocketful of Eyes
  • Saltwater Moons
  • Angel Arias (Night Creatures, #2)
  • Pan's Whisper
  • Five Parts Dead
  • The Reluctant Hallelujah
  • Mammon (The Ferryman Chronicles, #1)
  • The Simple Gift
  • Losing It
  • Raincheck on Timbuktu
Alison has had nine books published - two books for adults and seven for young people. Four of them have been translated into Italian, Danish, Dutch and Thai.
Her latest project,Cold Stone Soup, an unpublished memoir about growing up under apartheid and migrating to Australia has won the FAW 2013 National Literary Awards (Jim Hamilton Award for a non-fiction manuscript). Cold Stone Soup was also r
More about Alison Stewart...
The Year the Star Fell Sweetwater Night The Memory Shell The Wishing Moon Bitterbloom