Start by marking “Ex Oblivione” as Want to Read:
Ex Oblivione

Ex Oblivione

"Ex Oblivione" is a prose poem by American horror fiction writer H. P. Lovecraft, written in late 1920 or early 1921 and first published in The United Amateur in March 1921, under the pseudonym Ward Phillips.

It is written in first person and tells of the dreams of a presumably dying man. In his dreams, the man is walking through a valley and encounters a vine-covered wall
Published (first published March 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Ex Oblivione, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ex Oblivione

Brian Yahn
Feb 20, 2016 Brian Yahn rated it liked it
Lovecraft strikes again with his silky-smooth dream-like prose. He writes about ideas that, at the time, were totally foreign and thought provoking, but now are widely accepted and old news. Evidence of his genius? I think.

In Ex Oblivione, the way the prose feels otherworldly and somehow connected to the themes of the story--afterlife and dreams--is pretty cool.

And even though it stands out like the Call of Cthulhu, and even though you can look back and see why people before were wild about him,
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jan 17, 2015 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This prose poem reminds me a bit of Celephaïs. It is beautiful. It is written in the first person and told by someone who found beauty and peace in dreams.
While roaming through dream lands the narrator finds a papyrus that tells about a locked gate that can be unlocked using a special drug.
Beyond the gate he finds two truths. Garden wall
Nada
Feb 18, 2016 Nada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've never read anything by H.P. Lovecraft. The story is a single-page short story that is very beautifully written. Hopefully, this won't be my last Lovecraft. I totally recommend this to everyone.
Moataz Ibrahim
Feb 20, 2015 Moataz Ibrahim rated it really liked it
The transition between the waking world and the wisdom of dreams, and reading the text after reading similar texts about the dreams realm make me wonder, why do I read about the worlds of dream? Is it a trigger from my subconscious to seek the wisdom of texts for consultation about the dilemmas of my restless sleep? Am I trying to find a way to remember the composure of my dreams? Am I supposed to know what I dream of? Will I, if I remember, be capable of comprehending, or is it a language that ...more
Meg
Dec 25, 2016 Meg rated it liked it
Interesting dream theory
Benjamin Stahl
Feb 22, 2017 Benjamin Stahl rated it it was ok
Quite forgettable. In fact, I can't even remember it.
Ana Paula
Very visual, what makes it great is that it describes a day-dream realm and it still makes it sound like the worst place on earth.
Christopher James
Feb 18, 2016 Christopher James rated it liked it
In many ways, it reads more like a poem than a short piece of prose. The descriptive language was spot-on, and I found myself many times dazed by his use of strong adjectives. Judging the subject matter, I can only imagine that was his intention. My favourite part must have been:

"Some of the dream-sages wrote gorgeously of the wonders beyond the irrepassable gate, but others told of horror and disappointment. I knew not which to believe, yet longed more and more to cross forever into the unknown
The Brazen Bell
Jul 28, 2016 The Brazen Bell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I admit I am kind of a sucker for purple prose, but I really love this piece. I find it interesting this came out when it did. The content may not be overly thought provoking in this day and age, but his take on the unknown here is interesting. Is life worth living? Or are dreams what are really worth returning to? Much in the same way, it seems, that once we die and go past the threshold of that bronze gate, we return to oblivion from whence we came. Like what. That's not a question I'm asking ...more
Godzilla
Apr 11, 2012 Godzilla rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2012, kindle
There are some wonderful words and prose in here, short and sweet, but it left me a little cold, and certainly didn't draw me in.

Whilst delving through Lovecraft's canon of work I appreciate that I'm not going to love everything, but this felt more like a school exercise than a genuine experience.

That said, I still wonder at his ability to transport himself and the reader to ethereal plains with such ease.
Rodrigo
Feb 18, 2016 Rodrigo rated it liked it
But as the gate swung wider and the sorcery of drug and dream pushed me through, I knew that all sights and glories were at an end; for in that new realm was neither land nor sea, but only the white void of unpeopled and illimitable space. So, happier than I had ever dared hoped to be, I dissolved again into that native infinity of crystal oblivion from which the daemon Life had called me for one brief and desolate hour.
Baal Of
Sep 14, 2015 Baal Of rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, weird
A drug induced trip into oblivion. Feels like a fragment of a journal rather than an actual story or "prose poem" as I've seen it described.

On a tangent, it feels a bit like a cheat to be logging all these Lovecraft stories separately, but I'm working my way through a digital Complete Works, and I want to have a record of everything I've read. Maybe I should pull these off my feed. Since I'm on vacation right now, I've been reading quite a bit.
Marco
Mar 30, 2016 Marco rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Ex Oblivione is a prose poem, written in first person. It tells of the dreams of a presumably dying man. In his dreams, the man is walking through a valley and encounters a vine-covered wall with a locked bronze gate therein. He longs to know what lies beyond the gate, described inconsistently by the few wise-men that made it though either as something incredible, or as a ig disappointment.
Stuart Slingsby
This story is of a dreamer that finds a gate locked and he wants nothing more than to through it.

To me this felt unfinished and the ending felt rushed - like he couldn't. I did enjoy the story but I found this to be one of the middling of his stories. So read it and you may enjoy the short story. Don't expect the greatness of AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS.
Daniel Ortega
Dec 20, 2015 Daniel Ortega rated it it was amazing
This poem captures the "Is real live worth it? Or is the dream the reality" in a way that only Howard could.
R. August
Aug 09, 2011 R. August rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Very short, but even within the few pages were the characteristic purple prose. Not much to say beyond that...
Bianca
Jan 09, 2016 Bianca rated it it was ok
Philip Johansson
Oct 14, 2014 Philip Johansson rated it liked it
meh
(I have read the swedish translation)
Claire Ulthar Sideral
Jul 09, 2015 Claire Ulthar Sideral rated it it was amazing
Otro viaje onírico, a los sueños más ocultos y lejanos... <3
Ramez
Mar 16, 2013 Ramez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird but nice
Luka Urbac
Feb 18, 2016 Luka Urbac rated it really liked it
"No new horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace."
Tas
Feb 24, 2016 Tas rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Good. I'm trying to read as much as I can, because I can't seem to escape the worst reading slump.
Mark Goodwin
Feb 10, 2015 Mark Goodwin rated it really liked it
A very short story written in such a way that Lovecraft, and only Lovecraft, can.
Jay
Aug 16, 2015 Jay rated it it was ok
Fabio Vinicius Binder
Jan 16, 2015 Fabio Vinicius Binder rated it it was ok
Sneh Pradhan
Jun 03, 2014 Sneh Pradhan rated it it was ok
Not usual of the H P Lovecraft calibre , the story really doesn't pull you in , read it once if only for the beautiful prose ....
Charlie Miller
Charlie Miller rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Marty
Marty rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2017
Kara
Kara rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2015
Kaustubh
Kaustubh rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2015
  • The Hymns of Orpheus
  • とある魔術の禁書目録 [To Aru Majutsu No Index] SS
  • Rainbow Courage
  • The Mammoth Book of SF Wars
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Fantasy
  • Hesiod, the Homeric Hymns, Epic Cycle, Homerica (Loeb Classical Library #57)
  • Trinity Blood, Vol. 13
  • Stones of Significance
  • The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories
  • An Ordinary Boy
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...