The Trials of Zion: A Novel

The Trials of Zion: A Novel

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  22 reviews

A young Jewish American lawyer joins the defense team of an arrested but possibly innocent Palestinian. Soon the lawyer's father, a famed criminal attorney, must win the Palestinian's case or risk losing his daughter forever.

A shocking act of terror brings the Middle East to the point of explosion. As the resulting political conflict threatens to erupt, a young Jewish Amer

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2010 by Tantor Media, Inc. (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Trials of Zion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trials of Zion

Cym Lowell
Imagine that your precious only daughter has just graduated from law school and seems enchanted with a young Palestinian that she worked with in law school. The young man has invited her to come to Israel to work on the defense of a Palestinian accused of triggering a bomb in a prominent Israeli hotel that murdered the U.S. President, the Prime Minister of Israel, and the Hamas leader shortly to become President of the newly established Palestinian state, as the leaders were about to announce th...more
Peter
What an odd book. The Trials of Zion is supposed to be a thriller set in near contemporary Israel...there are bombings, assasinations, trials, religious factionalism and lawyers and double crosses plus a number of set history pieces delivered by one character as 'history is important' moments. The problem is...despite having a nice twist in the plot and some interesting court room scenes (Dershowitz is a world class lawyer after all...and the main character is a thinly veiled Dershowitz) much of...more
John Kaufmann
A thriller based on the assassination of the leaders of the United States, Israel, and the Palestinians are killed by a suitcase bomb as they prepare to report on progress of peace talks. This serves as the setting to provide background to the stalemate that engulfs the region. At various times the author provides background on some of the major groups are suspected of the plot - radical Islamists, Palestinian Marxists, radical Zionists, Iranians, even apocalyptic Christians and the IDF and Moss...more
Kari
Jul 18, 2011 Kari rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves historical fiction
This book starts off with the President of the United States at a televised conference with the Israeli Prime Minister. Suddenly a bomb goes off killing them both along with some other heads of state. A young girl, just out of college, flies to the Middle East to work as an aide to a humanitarian defense lawyer who has become the lawyer for the suspected bomber. I really enjoyed the history covered in the novel about Arab and Israeli relationships. I do not fully understand the history of the ha...more
Bert
Interesting premise, but throughout much of the book, it seemed like a grade school student had written it. The dialogue between characters was "forced" and didn't strike me as realistic.
Rachel
Very interesting if you like legal dramas - but this one provides more than the courtroom as its basis. A little confusing in spots.... introducing characters in the beginning with the Israeli and Arabic names took me a while to get them straight...then the plot takes over and its a good one! Also the 2nd part of the book which has a non-legal focus - got a little confusing to me because of the discussions of various political and terrorist type groups. All in all though I liked this very much....more
Erica
I was really into the book at the beginning. About half way through I felt like the book was adding several new characters making it hard to follow. The Trials of Zion had a good storyline, but I think if I had read the book instead of listening to the audio it would have been easier to follow.
AmblingBooks

Listen to The Trials of Zion on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Leslie
is it a good thing or a bad thing that i really don't know what our government does or what other countries governments do?
very good book, that delves into the conflicts of the middle east.
the author is a well known professor and lawyer whose specialty is middle eastern relations.
i'll have to pick up more from this author.
Stefan
The Trials of Zion is an unusual legal thriller. Middle-Eastern geopolitics, legal drama and a dangerous conspiracy make this a fun, intriguing thriller. However, Alan Dershowitz has written far more than a superficial thriller, it is also a subtle commentary on the Middle-East and Israel’s place in the world.
Sue
Alan Dershowitz writes fiction much like the late Isaac Asimov did - that is, in a clear expository, almost didactic style that is ideally suited to each author's extensive nonfiction writing but that does not lead to great literature. But he can spin a good yarn, & I enjoyed this book as a diversion.
Phyllis

I thought it was worth reading but it was disappointing. The characters weren't defined
so that I didn't find any of them compelling to me. Some information about Israel but
a lot of made up stuff so that I finally couldn't tell the legitimate legends from the
completely fictional.
Ty
Very good book! I was quite surprised to see a fictional book by Alan Dershowitz and after completing it, I have to say it was a very good read with a lot of thought placed into the plot. It is a legal thriller meets spy world. Highly recommend!
JoAnn Jordan
This is an interesting novel, with a bombing, courtroom action, terrorists, kidnapping, and spying.

I enjoyed reading it and recommend it to anyone interested in Middle Eastern stories.
Josh Hirsch
I didn't realize it was possible to make a book about kidnapping, vast terrorist plots and legal precedence boring, but apparently it is. Dershowitz needs to stick to non-fiction.
Brimorse
I could not finish this book. The dialogue between characters is so forced and unnatural that often times when two characters were speaking to each other I felt embarrassed for the author.
Tyra
I flew through this book and read it in almost one sitting. Good suspense/thriller about a terrorist attack in the Middle East. I actually figured out part of the conspiracy.
Erin Coleman
So good I couldn't put it down for the first 200 pages. The last 100 went more slowly, but still very good. It was a great look into Israeli culture.
Ivan
I was not impressed...Dershowitz supposedly has some good novels, this was definitely not one of them.
Shoshana Fagen
Who knew he could write fiction? Dershowitz hit it out of the park.
Jill
Loved the Israel and Jewish details, good mystery
Rena Del
too boring. could not finish
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Carol
Carol is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
Martin Bermudez
Martin Bermudez marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
JenWinEd
JenWinEd marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Cory Saksenberg
Cory Saksenberg marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Howard Forman
Howard Forman marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alan Morton Dershowitz is an American lawyer, jurist, and political commentator. He is the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. He is known for his career as an attorney in several high-profile law cases and commentary on the Arab-Israeli conflict.

He has spent most of his career at Harvard, where, at the age of 28, he became the youngest full professor in its history, until No...more
More about Alan M. Dershowitz...
The Case for Israel Letters to a Young Lawyer Just Revenge Reversal of Fortune: Inside the Von Bulow Case America on Trial: Inside the Legal Battles That Transformed Our Nation