Start by marking “How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?” as Want to Read:
How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?

How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten? (How Do Dinosaurs...?)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  1,404 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The bestselling, award-winning team of Yolen and Teague present their beloved dinosaurs in a new format with this fun, read-aloud board book that teaches young children to count from one to ten!

Come along for some BIG fun as your favorite dinosaurs delight young readers with their playful antics. How do dinosaurs count to ten? Over and over and over again!
This brand new bo
Board Book, 12 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?

Jurassic Park by Michael CrichtonThe Lost World by Michael CrichtonHorizon Alpha by D.W. VogelRaptor Red by Robert T. BakkerDragon Dawn by Deborah O'Neill Cordes
Best Dinosaur Books
47th out of 125 books — 186 voters
Owl Moon by Jane YolenThe Emperor and the Kite by Jane YolenDragon's Blood by Jane YolenHeart's Blood by Jane YolenA Sending of Dragons by Jane Yolen
Best of Jane Yolen
69th out of 100 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 31, 2010 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
Big hit, recognizable dinosaur species and a rhyme scheme do a lot to capture Charlotte's attention. She doesn't like generic dinosaurs, she wants to be able to tell you what species it is. A feature I liked of this book is that on every page, the dinosaur species was written somewhere, so you could say, "Actually, babe, that's an apatasaurus, not a brachiasaurus" and look like Dr. Scott the Paleontologist.
Jan 01, 2014 Lea rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddlers
I think this is my 15 month old's favorite book. While he can't count and doesn't really have a concept of numbers, he DOES understand balls, socks, and balloons (among the other things counted). And the pages have withstood his new teeth somehow. I'm including this in my list because at this point I have it memorized. (Dinosaur counting starts with one, one tattered teddy bear, just for fun ).
Elizabeth Daly
Title: How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
Author: Jane Yolen
Illustrator: Mark Teague
Genre: Counting and Number Book
Theme(s): math, Dinosaurs, things around the house, rhyming
Opening line/sentence: Dinosaur counting starts with one.

Brief Book Summary: How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten? shows a dinosaur using his knowledge of counting to ten by applying it to different objects around the house, such as dirty socks, toy blocks and books. The different dinosaurs shown in the book start counting at one and
Katie Dangle
Title: How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
Author: Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
Genre: Counting Book
Theme(s): Counting, Animals, Rhyming
Opening line/sentence: Dinosaur counting
starts with one.
One tattered
teddy bear
just for fun.
Brief Book Summary: Various dinosaurs count to ten in this funny, colorful book. The dinosaurs use children’s toys, clothing, and books to count to ten in their home. Through the use of rhyming and familiar toys it is a story very appealing to young children.
Professional Recommen
Thalia Papadakis
Sep 07, 2016 Thalia Papadakis rated it really liked it
I love these dinosaur books. When I have "book-dates" with younger students for good behavior, I may possibly maybe sort of kind of lead them towards either the dinosaur books or the Skippy John Jones books.
May 25, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
This counting book breaks many of the rules our text gives us. It does not show the number symbol at all, just the number word. It also does not have easily found items to count, but I loved this book. I think that by the time a child is able to pick through the words of a book on their own, they will appreciate the challenge this book presents. I would like to have this book in my room and I can see reading a teaser to the students while having them find the items they are supposed to count, bu ...more
Jul 25, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
The last question in this book is "Now that he's counted from one to ten, how does a dinosaur count again?" And the answer, which my son gave when he handed me this book, is "again". Next to "no", "again" and "more" are probably his favorite words. Because this book was written years before he was born, I'm guessing he is not alone in toddler world in favoring that word. And to have it at the end of a counting story, well, that's just perfection for him.

I love, love, love Mark Teague's illustrat
Tim Roast
Aug 18, 2014 Tim Roast rated it really liked it
This book is a simple rhyming book covering numbers one to ten, with well-drawn full-colour pictures of dinosaurs to accompany the text. Also knowing how to pronounce all the different dinosaur names is not necessary for being able to read the story, although the names can be learnt separately too as they are cleverly incorporated into the background pictures of each picture plus there is an opening page with some of them on.

This book is therefore most suitable for pre-schoolers who like dinosau
Rosa Cline
Jul 14, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a board book (the edition we got from our library) it's very creative very simple way of teaching children to count up to ten. Fun, it will bring smiles to little faces. Also in small print it has each dinosaur's 'real' name listed so for the older child reading it can learn the names of the dino's. Also each page you can incorporate 'red balloon, blue balloon' 'pictures hangin ON the wall' 'cars IN the dinosaurs hands' so an adult could incorporate many learning things for the toddler-y ...more
Oct 05, 2015 Eryn rated it really liked it
This book is so fun and cute! In it we meet a dinosaurs who is learning to count to ten. The rhymes especially make this a fun read. The vocabulary is simple and age appropriate. Mark Teague illustrated this book and the dinosaurs are incredibly detailed. He depicts the dinosaurs learning to count in similar situations as a child would. This book is perfect for preschool and Kindergarten math lessons. The only complaint I have is that there is no numerals on the pages, just the numbers spelled o ...more
Mar 24, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I love Yolen's books for teen/tween readers and this is a wonderful choice for toddlers. It is a humorous learning to count to ten book with fantastic illustrations. The only potential criticism is the end where they get to ten and then declare - Again! This could be a potential parental annoyance with an overly zealous child.

As an added bonus for those who are interested in dinosaurs in particular, each illustration has a small label that tells which dinosaur it is. Also, if you like this one
Jun 11, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit

Jane Yolen continues to cement the regular events in life by adding her wonderfully illustrated dinosaurs. I love these books. They have wonderful applications in classrooms or homes. My son takes his How Do Dinosaurs go to the Doctor when he has to go to the doctor. I enjoy having these books at the fingertips of my students, and me, so when a teachable moment pops up where I can use one they are right there.
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
It's very important for little dinosaurs to learn to count to ten, and this book helps them learn how in colorful, semi-prehistoric fashion.

This was another fun installment of the HDD series. It wasn't my favorite, and the ending was kind of odd, but it was colorful and amusing. Of course The Boy really seemed to like it, and there were plenty of recognizable things for him to point out and name (even if they weren't always the things being counted).
Apr 18, 2012 Emily added it
I can read this story over and over! I always read this to my class during work and my kids love it! It's a really cute story and it teaches children to count easy! The whole dinosaur series is so fun. I did enjoy it and I could use this in my kindergarten class which is a plus for me! Definitely putting it on my future reading list.
Nov 07, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, math
This is a cute book in the "How Do Dinosaurs..." series, very similar to another book we read by the same author. The contrast of the enormous reptilian presence in a home setting is funny and the rhyming narrative is sure to please younger children. It's a great book for those children who are wild about dinosaurs. Our youngest borrowed this one from her school library a few times.
Shamilah Gillani
Apr 14, 2013 Shamilah Gillani rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-literature
This is such a fun book for younger students to learn about counting from 1 to 10. I would implement this book while doing a lesson on counting. We could read the book and then count little dinosaurs from 1-10. For older groups, I would implement this book with ten frames and have the students count by 10s. The illustrations are interesting and engaging for students of all ages.
Nov 02, 2015 Gina rated it liked it
I thought from the title it might be making some kind of a point on how dinosaurs don't have ten fingers, but instead it just goes through the numbers, rhyming, with different items. Still, the artwork is pretty good, with dinosaurs with balls and balloons and paints, so I think kids will still like it.
Melissa Frentsos
Jun 01, 2014 Melissa Frentsos rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Not my favorite but not the worst either. Cute rhymes and pictures of toys that most children will easily identify with when learning to count (teddy bear, balls, balloons, blocks, trucks etc.) Do dinosaurs actually count to ten? Well, children will get that they don't and that the dinosaur is just for fun, but I just think there are better counting books or ways to learn about counting.
Oct 24, 2013 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I really enjoyed this book as well as some other of Yolen's books. I thought the illustrations were great by having all different types of dinosaurs represented. I thought the writing was simple yet engaging for my two year old.
Kylie Perrine
This book helps children learn to count to ten through silly rhymes and fun pictures. Each number is associated with a different rhyme in order to help the child remember. There are also colorful cartoon pictures to go along with each rhyme. This book makes counting cute and fun.
Sep 16, 2009 Rob rated it really liked it
Shelves: with-holden
Illustrations are great; the rhyme scheme's meter and rhythm falls apart in at least one place; but any book with dinosaurs is going to be awesome. Especially erudite dinosaurs.

Oct 04, 2008 Jody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Love these books! My baby loves them! We have read this book so many times that I have it memorized. Very cute illustrations and super fun to read! I wish I was a dinosaur!
Lindsey Gibson
This book shows dinosaurs playing with different amounts of toys. (e.g. three cars, four balls) This story teaches how to count using objects.
Jarret Stoner
Feb 19, 2016 Jarret Stoner rated it really liked it
I think this book is a great way to help kids count to 10 and it is a great secual to how do dinosaurs go to bed.
Jun 30, 2013 Anna-Lisa rated it really liked it
We read this one in Spanish, but I couldn't find that version here. Great for little ones like mine who love dinosaurs.
Apr 22, 2009 Josiah rated it did not like it
Another amusing book. My favorite part was on the page featuring the velociraptor. I can imagine that this would be a fun book with which to learn counting.
Imperfectlyrua Castle-Hackett
I enjoy reading this series to the kids but sometimes Yolen forces her rhyme and meter. Which bugs me but the children don't notice
findingthetime rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Anthony rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2016
Kittiya rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2008
  • Oops! A Diaper David Book
  • Big Little
  • Trucks Go
  • Where is Maisy?
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...

How Do Dinosaurs...? (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Cats?