Start by marking “2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers” as Want to Read:
2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers

2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers

Where will you be in the year 2041?

The Drapery Defense League objects to Hamlet because Polonius is stabbed while he's hiding behind a curtain, rock'n'roll gangs roam the streets, a scrumptious free confection called swoodies has been devised to make people gain weight, then pay to lose it, and people attach an extra ear to their own to amplify noise....

Leading science fic

Published January 1st 1994 by Laurel Leaf (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about 2041, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2041

Trin
Nov 23, 2007 Trin marked it as to-read
Shelves: sci-fi, shortstories, ya
This if a fondly-remembered short story collection from my childhood/early teen years that I happily finally managed to track down again. The story "Lose Now, Pay Later" still haunts me; let's see how the rest hold up.
A very sharp anthology - did an excellent job of hooking me, when I was a "young adult" reader thirsting for sci-fi. "Who's Gonna Rock Us Home?" by Nancy Springer probably gave me the most vivid memories, I still carry the idea of "Old Glory" by Bruce Coville with me, "Much Ado About [Censored]" by Connie Willis left me rolling with laughter, and Joe Haldeman's "If I Had the Wings of an Angel" was quite good too. Really, just about all of the stories provoked me to think or feel in a new way. On ...more
Nerija
Aug 06, 2013 Nerija marked it as to-read
NOTES:

This review focuses on the story "Lose Now, Pay Later," by Carol Farley; I have not read the rest of the stories in 2041, so I can't give it an overall rating.

This review is also posted, in part, here.

. . . . . . . .

Here and there on Q&A forums – Yahoo Answers, Whatsthatbook.com, etc. – you’ll see someone asking for the title of that one story they read years ago…the one with the weird candy or something that makes you gain lots of weight, and then the machine that magically takes it a
Elizabeth Wallace
Sep 27, 2014 Elizabeth Wallace rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
It's kind of a fun read, but not very satisfying in the end. It was written back in the 90's, speculating what things would be like 50 years from then.

Twenty-some years later and it feels dated. Not the ideas (though I don't think in 25 years we're going to have half the technologies they talk about in the book) but the style itself. It's...innocent? The cover of the 80's looking couple on the front should have clued me in to the fact that this wasn't going to be a dark and gritty collection. Th
{eri}
Mar 17, 2011 {eri} rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
One of several science fiction anthologies I somehow acquired, either at Goodwill or online for a few dollars. This I recall being a Goodwill find and an awesome one at that! At the time I didn't even recognize who Jane Yolen was but having her as the editor makes this all the more exciting. I remember liking a lot of the stories in this collection but it was the story "Lose Now, Pay Later" about swoodies that really stuck out in my mind. Very good!
Emily
Mar 16, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book, in no small part because I had been searching for "Lose Now, Pay Later" for years, since I read it as a kid in a reading book at school. It's still one of my favorites, for a variety of reasons, and I was glad to finally find it! The other stories are pretty interesting, as well.

Now I just need to find that short story about teleporters between houses and the idea that the outside is dangerous...
krin
Dec 22, 2009 krin rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
I enjoyed this collection of short stories about possible future. Connie Willis' Much Ado About [Censored:] made me both think about censorship and chuckle at the absurdity of various groups banning lines from Hamlet until there was practically nothing left. On the opposite spectrum, stories such as Carol Farley's Lose Now, Pay Later and Bruce Coville's Old Glory made me think about not taking responsibility and rights for granted.
Ian
Jan 13, 2016 Ian rated it liked it
The winners of this anthology, in my opinion, are:

Much Ado About [Censored] by Connie Willis
Moby James by Patricia A. McKillip
The Last Out by Resa Nelson and David Alexander Smith
Free Day by Peg Kerr
Beggarman by Susan Shwartz
Old Glory by Bruce Coville
Kristen Pfaff
This was an interesting mix of stories, I suppose. Not all of them were very good. I got the book because I was looking for a story I once read in sixth grade, "Lose Now, Pay Later." There was a funny tale about censorship in the future that I quite enjoyed.
lisa
Jun 04, 2008 lisa rated it it was amazing
absolutely the best collection of sci-fi short stories i've come across. found this book in the locker room when i was 12; re-read it almost every year.
Skylar
Skylar rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Ben White
Ben White rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Brittany
Brittany rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Brownthrasher
Brownthrasher rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2011
SR
SR rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2010
Cecilia Lim
Cecilia Lim rated it did not like it
Mar 25, 2015
César
César rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2014
Katerine Fromdahell
Katerine Fromdahell rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2007
Sid
Sid rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Gillian Dawson
Gillian Dawson rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Stephy
Stephy rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2007
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Ted
Ted rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2009
Duncan
Duncan rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2011
Jan
Jan rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2011
Rosa
Feb 16, 2017 Rosa rated it really liked it
Gem: "The Quiet One."
Just because it's the mid-21st century and we're colonizing space doesn't mean the Wild West is gone!
"Old Glory" is great too, but I had read it before in one of Bruce Coville's collections.
S. W.
S. W. rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2009
Lou
Lou rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • Futures Imperfect
  • Wizard Fantastic
  • Tales from the Half-Continent (Monster Blood Tattoo, #3.5)
  • Weird Tales: The Magazine That Never Dies
  • Women of Wonder, the Classic Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1940s to the 1970s
  • The Fantasies of Robert A. Heinlein
  • Treasures of Fantasy
  • This Time of Darkness
  • Classic Stories 2: Medicine for Melancholy & S is for Space
  • The Keeper of the Isis Light (Isis, #1)
  • The Art of the Story: An International Anthology of Contemporary Short Stories
  • My Teacher Fried My Brains (My Teacher is an Alien, #2)
  • Bandit Queen Boogie
  • Last and First Contacts (Imaginings #2)
  • Women of War
  • George and Martha Back in Town
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...