Start by marking “2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers” as Want to Read:
2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers

2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Where will you be in the year 2041?

The Drapery Defense League objects to Hamlet because Polonius is stabbed while he's hiding behind a curtain, rock'n'roll gangs roam the streets, a scrumptious free confection called swoodies has been devised to make people gain weight, then pay to lose it, and people attach an extra ear to their own to amplify noise....

Leading science fic

Published January 1st 1994 by Laurel Leaf (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about 2041, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2041

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyDivergent by Veronica RothCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareInsurgent by Veronica Roth
What Women Born in the 90's Have Read in 2013
182nd out of 656 books — 149 voters
Owl Moon by Jane YolenThe Emperor and the Kite by Jane YolenDragon's Blood by Jane YolenHeart's Blood by Jane YolenA Sending of Dragons by Jane Yolen
Best of Jane Yolen
46th out of 47 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Trin
Nov 23, 2007 Trin marked it as to-read
Shelves: shortstories, sci-fi, ya
This if a fondly-remembered short story collection from my childhood/early teen years that I happily finally managed to track down again. The story "Lose Now, Pay Later" still haunts me; let's see how the rest hold up.
Otis Campbell

ix • Introduction: A Day in the Life • (1991) • essay by Jane Yolen
1 • Much Ado About [Censored] • (1988) • shortstory by Connie Willis (variant of Ado)
20 • Who's Gonna Rock Us Home? • (1991) • shortstory by Nancy Springer
39 • Lose Now, Pay Later • (1991) • shortstory by Carol Farley
49 • A Quiet One • (1991) • novelette by Anne McCaffrey
87 • Moby James • (1991) • shortstory by Patricia A. McKillip
100 • If I Had the Wings of an Angel • (1991) • shortstory by Joe Haldeman [as by Joe W. Hald
Elizabeth Wallace
It's kind of a fun read, but not very satisfying in the end. It was written back in the 90's, speculating what things would be like 50 years from then.

Twenty-some years later and it feels dated. Not the ideas (though I don't think in 25 years we're going to have half the technologies they talk about in the book) but the style itself. It's...innocent? The cover of the 80's looking couple on the front should have clued me in to the fact that this wasn't going to be a dark and gritty collection. Th
Nerija
Aug 10, 2013 Nerija marked it as to-read
NOTES:

This review focuses on the story "Lose Now, Pay Later," by Carol Farley; I have not read the rest of the stories in 2041, so I can't give it an overall rating.

This review is also posted, in part, here.

. . . . . . . .

Here and there on Q&A forums – Yahoo Answers, Whatsthatbook.com, etc. – you’ll see someone asking for the title of that one story they read years ago…the one with the weird candy or something that makes you gain lots of weight, and then the machine that magically takes it a
A very sharp anthology - did an excellent job of hooking me, when I was a "young adult" reader thirsting for sci-fi. "Who's Gonna Rock Us Home?" by Nancy Springer probably gave me the most vivid memories, I still carry the idea of "Old Glory" by Bruce Coville with me, "Much Ado About [Censored]" by Connie Willis left me rolling with laughter, and Joe Haldeman's "If I Had the Wings of an Angel" was quite good too. Really, just about all of the stories provoked me to think or feel in a new way. On ...more
{eri}
Mar 17, 2011 {eri} rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
One of several science fiction anthologies I somehow acquired, either at Goodwill or online for a few dollars. This I recall being a Goodwill find and an awesome one at that! At the time I didn't even recognize who Jane Yolen was but having her as the editor makes this all the more exciting. I remember liking a lot of the stories in this collection but it was the story "Lose Now, Pay Later" about swoodies that really stuck out in my mind. Very good!
krin
Dec 22, 2009 krin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
I enjoyed this collection of short stories about possible future. Connie Willis' Much Ado About [Censored:] made me both think about censorship and chuckle at the absurdity of various groups banning lines from Hamlet until there was practically nothing left. On the opposite spectrum, stories such as Carol Farley's Lose Now, Pay Later and Bruce Coville's Old Glory made me think about not taking responsibility and rights for granted.
Emily
I really loved this book, in no small part because I had been searching for "Lose Now, Pay Later" for years, since I read it as a kid in a reading book at school. It's still one of my favorites, for a variety of reasons, and I was glad to finally find it! The other stories are pretty interesting, as well.

Now I just need to find that short story about teleporters between houses and the idea that the outside is dangerous...
Kristen Pfaff
This was an interesting mix of stories, I suppose. Not all of them were very good. I got the book because I was looking for a story I once read in sixth grade, "Lose Now, Pay Later." There was a funny tale about censorship in the future that I quite enjoyed.
lisa
absolutely the best collection of sci-fi short stories i've come across. found this book in the locker room when i was 12; re-read it almost every year.
Meg
Loved this book! I read it over and over.
Genevieve
I loved this as a kid.
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Trupti Patil
Trupti Patil marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Mara Alves
Mara Alves marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Desiree Perry
Desiree Perry marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Bargle
Bargle marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Allison
Allison is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • Futures Imperfect (Three Short Novels)
  • The Fantasies of Robert A. Heinlein
  • Weird Tales
  • Women of Wonder, the Classic Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1940s to the 1970s
  • This Time of Darkness
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Curses, Inc. and Other Stories
  • Sisters in Fantasy 2
  • The Art of the Story: An International Anthology of Contemporary Short Stories
  • Masterpieces of Fantasy and Wonder
  • Invitation to the Game
  • The Eyes of Kid Midas
  • Borderlands 1
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
  • Pregnesia (Recovery Men, #3)
  • Half-Human
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...
The Devil's Arithmetic  Owl Moon How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Briar Rose Dragon's Blood