Start by marking “Ava's Poppy” as Want to Read:
Ava's Poppy

Ava's Poppy

Ava is delighted when she discovers a brilliant red poppy in the middle of her yard.  She sits with the little flower in the sunny days of summer and shields it from the rain, until one day the petals start to drop and the tiny flower fades away.  But when spring comes again...Ava is surprised anew.
Published February 1st 2012 by NorthSouth

To ask other readers questions about Ava's Poppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ava's Poppy

Clare Cannon
Feb 26, 2012 Clare Cannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 04-8yrs
I have a soft spot for Ava because she's the cutest little red-head... I love the way she runs on the bright green grass, and sits admiring her beautiful poppy with her hands on her knees, or lies with her hands behind her head looking up at the sky... Of course she's heart-broken when the season ends and her poppy loses its petals, but finds joy when a new poppy blossoms next spring. Just so cute. www.GoodReadingGuide.com
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
A bit of the life cycle of a flower, and a lot about the care and dedication of one little girl. Really interesting illustrative style.
Elisabeth
Feb 17, 2012 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
What? Did Marcus Pfister write a book just for me? Poppies are my instahappy and I blissed out throughout the whole book.
Laurie
Aug 23, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok
Kimberly.miller
Feb 24, 2012 Kimberly.miller rated it really liked it
Shelves: lcrt-5795
Ava discovers a red poppy in a field and cares for it. Despite her care, it completes its life cycle and withers. Students can plant a flower of their own and watch as it grows and withers. Students can journal their observations, feelings, and illustrate what they see as their flowers complete the life cycle. I would also use the illustrations in this book to discuss the use of color and size in artwork.
Julia Jasztal
Jan 08, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it liked it
(Mommy's review from 2/29/12)

I saw this on the 'new' table at our library and I very much love the cover so we brought it home. I was ecstatic to see the cover art continued throughout the story. I can't think of any way the illustrations could have been better. So simple yet so beautiful.
The story is simple and beautiful too. Julia liked hearing it and I enjoyed reading it to her. The ending is a happy one as you'd expect but the art is where the book really stands out.
Melissa
I'm glad Pfister is still experimenting with his tempera-print technique, though I thought it worked better in his Questions book than for the more traditional illustrations in this one. I thought the whole book was a little deliberately naive, but on the other hand it's probably right on target for a toddler.
Jodie
Mar 25, 2013 Jodie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story that is simply stated, but says a lot. A girl finds a poppy and takes care of it. The life of the flower ends and she is left with the stem which she buries in the ground. She is sad that she lost her flower, but finds a surprise when spring comes around again. The illustrations fit the story very well and are simply stated and lovely.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Poppy experiences a flower's circle of life. Poppy is caring toward her flower and provides an opportunity for the reader/listener to discuss life and emotions. The illustrations are bright and simply stamped or pressed. The art style is not shared, but it is handcrafted and beautiful to see.

2015 Storytime Theme: Rainy Weather

Reviewed from a library copy.
Shannon
Jun 22, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Given the questionable message in Rainbow Fish ("Stop being a pompous jerk, but do it by making yourself less special"), I was interested in seeing what the story in Ava's Poppy would be. I want to learn more about the smushy-paint-style used in the book that's pretty neat, and I'm totally using this book in my plant unit next year.
Alicia Scully
Ava makes friends with a poppy and we see her care for it during several seasons. The book ended a little abruptly, so I would have preferred more discussion at the end. Keep an eye out for the endpapers though--that helps a lot.

Good for springtime, flowers, and gardens.
Nathan
May 04, 2016 Nathan rated it liked it
This book bombed today. :( I enjoy it but I think it was too slow and quiet for the group I had this afternoon. I'll try again; maybe I'll hold onto it as an extra book and pull it out if I feel the crowd can handle it.
Ms Threlkeld
Mar 24, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The interesting illustrative style bumps this up to 3 stars. I enjoyed the book overall, but the ending felt abrupt and incomplete.
Marina S
Apr 23, 2012 Marina S rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-306
A gentle story about Ava and her brilliant red poppy, with perfect illustrations to match the theme of the book. Discussing the seasons would be interesting after this book.
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Gail
Gail rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2012
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Megan
Jan 31, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
The circle of life...
Angie Grothem
Angie Grothem rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2012
Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
May 03, 2013
Adrielle
Adrielle rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Thia
Feb 15, 2012 Thia added it
Shelves: preschool
growing, flowers
Alfajirikali
Alfajirikali rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Maeve
Maeve rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Wendy Kuzma
Wendy Kuzma rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Marcus Pfister was born in Berne, Switzerland, and began his career as a graphic artist in an advertising agency. In 1983, he decided to dedicate more time to artistic pursuits, and began to write and illustrate his first book, The Sleepy Owl, which was published in 1986. His best-known work to date is The Rainbow Fish, which has remained on bestseller lists across the United States since 1992.

Mar
More about Marcus Pfister...