Start by marking “America's Quarterback: Bart Starr and the Rise of the National Football League” as Want to Read:
America's Quarterback: Bart Starr and the Rise of the National Football League

America's Quarterback: Bart Starr and the Rise of the National Football League

A powerful biography of one of the greatest football players of all time, in the spirit of Johnny U and Namath

No one can touch Bart Starr's record setting 5 NFL Championships including 3 straight. America's Quarterback tells the story of the man who helped create the legend of Vince Lombardi and the Green Bay Packers. Set against the changing landscape of the last half
Published September 13th 2011 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about America's Quarterback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America's Quarterback

Hal
Oct 26, 2012 Hal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most sports fans, particularly of the NFL variety, are going to be fairly biased about bios or books relating to their team. Certainly having grown up with Green Bay Packers and still remembering those black and white images on TV of Vince Lombardi stalking the sideline in 1963 I am no different. This book does a great job telling that story centered around this iconic figure Bart Starr. It was interesting in doing a search to enter this book into my library here a title came up, "Johnny Unitas, ...more
Dale Stonehouse
Nov 20, 2011 Dale Stonehouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I was not a Packers fan during his era, it would be hard to write a book about Starr, the Packers and their championships in the 1960s that I would not like. There is not much new here, but this is a book that needed to be written as a big part of NFL history. And who doesn't like a story about a quarterback who didn't get off the bench his senior year at Alabama and who became the best in history?
William
Sep 27, 2016 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book of Bart Starr and his rise in the NFL. 1940s Bart was a high school QB looking for a team to play for he then got drafted to Alabama and played as a starter nearly making the playoffs every year in 1950s-1960s Bart Starr got drafted to the Green Bay Packers and backed up curry lambeu then in the 60s started as QB with Vince Lombardi and took the Packers to 5 championships and 2 Super bowls.
Molly S
Jul 15, 2016 Molly S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. My dad grew up in farm country Iowa watching Bart Starr and Lombardi's Packers win 5 NFL Championships and 2 Superbowls. He has always spoken of Starr with admiration and affectionate nostalgia. His favorite Christmas present one year was a #15 jersey. I became aware of Bart Starr as a teen, already a Packer fan thanks to my dad and Brett Favre, but it wasn't until I had graduated college and moved to Birmingham that I began to know just how much of an impact he had on professional football ...more
Brad C
Feb 07, 2016 Brad C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Very good read, with good background on the life of Bart Starr. Although I am too young to have seen him play, I've always been a fan of Starr the person and Starr the player.

This book gives much insight into his character and beliefs, as well as covering much of the history of Vince Lombardi's Packers of the 1960's. Dunnavant does well to tie much of the political and social turmoil of the times into the fabric of the football narrative.
Calvin
Not quite as good as the biography of Lombardi from a few years back. Of course the fact that I compared the two books does back up Dunnavant point that the two men were extensions of each other.

I dont want a tell all, but it was a little to laudatory for my taste. Still, I did love Bart Starr as a kid, so I enjoyed it.
Casey Krogstad
Sep 30, 2011 Casey Krogstad rated it really liked it
Parts were dry.... but it was great to read about an athlete that took the idea of being a role model to youth, his profession, the NFL, etc. seriously. I would recommend it to anyone who loves the Packers and is interested in learning about what makes a 17th round draft pick quarterback that won 5 NFL championships including two superbowls tick.
Jcrane1095 Crane
Nov 03, 2012 Jcrane1095 Crane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy read; interesting mix of Bart Starr/Green Bay Packers history, mixed in with the changes goign on in society over this career. I knew very little about Bart Starr before I read this but came away impressed that he is a great guy. I would definitely read more of Keith Dunnavant's work.
Corey
Aug 07, 2012 Corey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author makes an interesting case for Starr being the greatest QB in NFL history (although I disagree).
Mary
Sep 25, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal
Interesting history of Starr, Lombardi, and the Packers intertwined with national events happening at the time
Matt
Jan 09, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book in which the author demonstrates why he feels Bart Starr is the greatest quarterback in NFL history. Additionally gives a history of the league, and the Green Bay Packers.
James Hansee
James Hansee rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Jayden Zywicki
Jayden Zywicki rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2011
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Tyler Engleman
Tyler Engleman rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2012
Chris Parker
Chris Parker rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2014
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2017
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2017
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2012
David Black Agency
David Black Agency rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Brent Cox
Brent Cox rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2011
Terry Weideman
Terry Weideman rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2013