Start by marking “In Dreams (The Dream, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Dreams (The Dream, #1)

In Dreams (The Dream #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  778 ratings  ·  110 reviews
When Katherine Johns starts dreaming about a boy she doesn't know, her college roommate Taylor is determined to find him. Convinced he must exist, Taylor is relentless... until she finds out exactly WHO the mysterious stranger really is.

The realization rocks the girls to their core and sends them down a path of unimaginable heartbreak as they learn to navigate their new re...more
Published 2011

To ask other readers questions about In Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Dreams

Angelfall by Susan EeBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Vampire Hunter's Daughter by Jennifer Malone WrightEmber by Madison DanielBirthright by Willow Cross
Best Independent Novels
350th out of 2,289 books — 3,189 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. Stephens
College Romance
264th out of 831 books — 6,199 voters

More lists with this book...

Wealhtheow
Katherine Johns has shiny straight hair, adorable freckles on her nose, and strangely intense dreams. Even though she only just started college, she's already attracted the attention of the most sought-after man at school, hockey-star Cooper Donovon. But how can she concentrate on him when she's dreaming of her soul-mate?

(view spoiler)...more
Alishia
Katherine is dreaming about a young man she has never met. In her dreams, she is so comfortable with him, it is almost like she has known him all her life. Her dreams are so powerful, so vivid and so emotional that she begins to wonder if just maybe, somehow, this young man is real. But Katherine doesn’t know what to believe. Could the young man in her dreams really be real and if so what does that mean?

Katherine’s best friend, Taylor, loves the idea that Katherine’s dream man may be real but wh...more
Heather
What I loved: Cooper! He's one of the best male YA characters I've seen written in a while. All-American, confident but put in his place by the right girl. I have to say if this were a YA contemporary novel without the paranormal element or other male character I would have been happy reading it that way. Austen, boy of her dreams is great but I just didn't feel the same pull to him as I did Cooper, alive and in the flesh.

J Sterling did an awesome job of fleshing out all of the characters and t...more
Lady Raven RAVE!
http://www.romancenoveljunkies.com for readers

BRIEF SUMMARY
Katherine is your typical college freshmen when she starts dreaming of a mysterious guy who she has a deep unexplainable connection with. Once she confides in her roommate Taylor, they both sets out on a mission to discovery who this mystery guy is while dealing with regular college life.

THOUGHTS

This was different...and the weirdest love square/triangle relationship I have read but yet found interesting. With saying that, I st...more
Natilee

First off… I didn’t hate this book… it just wasn’t for me. Why? I didn’t connect with the characters. The storyline jumps right in there and it didn't give me a chance to connect with them.

Usually when I read a book, I want to go through what they do, I want to feel what they feel and I want to fall in love when they fall in love. But with this book, I couldn’t. We aren't given a chance to get to know Katherine before she’s quite devastated over a boy in her dreams and I didn't fall in love wit...more
Kristen Landon
Instead of thinking of this as a harsh critique; I'd like everyone to think of it as a learning experience.
This book is a prime example of a self-published book that could really have used some good editing. The story line is decent and the characters are okay. There were a lot of basic things that an editor could really have helped the author improve on. I'll give a couple of examples that asspiring authors can note and thus avoid.
First of all point of view. Stick with one POV character. If you...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Oct 24, 2011 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: author
Shelves: reviewed
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about a college age girl who falls in love. The problem is who she falls in love with. The premise of the story should be silly but it worked. I won't give anything away. It took me about a third way through before I became completely enthralled and stayed up until 2am to finish the book. One of the guys in this story, Cooper, had me at hello. But towards the end of the book, I thought his choices were a bit unrea...more
Sabrina

Katherine is having dreams about a boy she doesn’t know. But they feel so real to her that she wakes up from them feeling lost and lonely without him. Than there is Cooper in her real life that she is drawn to but she can’t let go of her dream boy to fully commit to Cooper. It’s not until she goes to Thanksgiving dinner at her college room mate Taylor’s house and finds out who she is dreaming about. What happens next is shocking and heartbreaking at the same time for both Katherine and Taylor. K...more
Nina
I downloaded In dreams today from Amazon for free, after hearing people from a reading group rave about this book. Granted, I heard the words hockey boys and wanted to read it anyway, but that's not the point.

In Dreams introduces us to Katherine, a girl who dreams about a boy she has never meet. She doesn't know why she's dreaming about him, but she just knows every time she does she falls deeper and deeper in love with him. And there lies the problem. In falling in love with him, she is struggl...more
GW
Jun 20, 2012 GW rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Received this free on my kindle! It's been on there since January, but I finally got a chance to read it today. I'm not sure how different the new version is from the version I have, but it's definitely interesting! I really loved the beginning of this book! From the beginning, we already know there's a love triangle. Love triangles are really frustrating, and to be honest, I thought this was a stand alone book. But, apparently it's a series! Who knew.

Anyways, I thought this was a contemporary...more
Sali
BBBAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!

ohhhh J.ster how u made me giggle !!!! i luv u !!!

the banter between Kat (the lead female character) & Taylor (her awesome best friend ) was just flat out funny !!! The classic 1 liners that Taylor came out with had me laughing out loud all the way thru the book !!!

eg:Taylor..."NO! Obviously he's smart. Only an idiot wouldn't want to date me. And since i dont date idiots, it all works out."

Tayor....."Fine, fine. Yes, u have to give Cooper a chance. Your country would...more
Tiffany
(I'm stealing my own review from Amazon when I got this book for free.)

I'm so glad this book was free, I wouldn't have paid for it or I would have asked for my money back. The book was too choppy, the conversations the people had were terrible, I don't believe I've ever heard a college student say "Oh Gosh" Or "Oh my Gosh" as many times as the main character did. She has little to no self esteem, doesn't believe she is pretty or that guys find her attractive when they clearly do. There is very l...more
Charli ღ Denae
Fresh. Original. Amazing!! I read this book so fast that I feel like I had a one night stand that took me through every emotion and left me exhilerated but drained. I don't even know where to begin to tell you why I liked this book so much. I was intrigued from the very beginning. I found myself trying to figure out what the heck was going on, then I began guessing at what was going on. Sometimes I was right but there was always a twist that kept me enthralled. I kept expecting the characters to...more
A. Sweeny
In Dreams is a perfect paranormal romance with a 'dreamy' enchantment that all of us have wished for. But it is also a mystery and has raw emotions of longing and confusion and heartbreak.

J. Sterling puts forth a literary gem and asks us to choose, along with the heroine(Katherine)of the story.I read this book in one sitting as it is light enough and at the same time very poignant. The twist and the end left me breathless and in tears. Can not wait to read the next one!!! Highly recommended.
Andrea Gage
In Dreams has got to be one of the most amazing books that I have read all year! Kathrine thinks that she has her dream boy all figured out and while searching for him meets Cooper. Cooper is the guy that everyone wants...except for Katherine who cannot get over her dream guy. In Dreams is the book that has you sucked in from the first page and takes you on an emotional roller coaster that you would never want to get off of.
Books
“In Dreams” is a feel-good, heart warming, love story with an unexpected twist, aimed at young adults. The characters are hip and sassy; and the dialogue witty and laugh-out-loud! By the third chapter, you already feel yourself drawn in by the honesty and raw emotions the characters exude; which makes this an overall fun read to be enjoyed on a sunny afternoon, next to the pool.
Holly
I happened upon this book while it was a free download on Amazon and I'm glad I got it...I would've gotten it even if I had to pay for it
J.A. Templeton
I loved the premise of this novel. J. Sterling delivers a fascinating romance!
Amanda
This book was hard for me to get through which is kind of strange considering the 4 star rating. The part that was hard was the middle of the book. I felt that Kat's emotional reactions and the building storyline were a bit much and didn't seem realistic to the character of Kat. However, the book did improve and I actually loved where it ended and how it ended.

Cooper is one of the best male leads I've read in a long time. I think the author found just about every good aspect of a male that women...more
Jenna
Nov 11, 2011 Jenna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romantic fans, contemporary romance
Recommended to Jenna by: J. Sterling
I honestly don’t know what genre “In Dreams” belongs to, but I can say that it’s a light, feel good paranormal romance. It’s paranormal because of the “dream” element and stuff, other than that, it’s just your normal contemporary romance novel.

There are just so many things to be said in this book. While I liked the book’s honesty and omniscience to all of the character’s feelings, I can’t really pinpoint an exact reason to why I gave it 2 stars less from the perfect one. I loved knowing each cha...more
Suzanne Williams
If I forget for a moment the plot of this book, which I do not believe in, and simply concentrate on whether or not the author pulled off the story, I must say "no." This book was ripe with mistakes. The grammar, punctuation, and capitalization from start to finish was terrible, causing me to ask if it was edited at all. Simple sentence structure and comma usage was entirely ignored. Several sentences had dangling modifiers that left me giggling - in particular, the sentence where Kat was applyi...more
Cami Hensley

First of all, how incredibly tragic is this story? To be completely in love with a mystery boy who appears in your dreams only to find out he is actually the ghost of your college roommates brother has got to be so devastating.

I think that the supporting cast in this book really adds a whole other level to the story. You get to see the emotions of so many different people who have dealt with the loss of the same person. From the high school girlfriend, to...more
Amanda  Nemec
Hmmm... I almost gave up on this book at the beginning. I had a hard time getting into it, and I think it was mostly due to the dialogue and the shifting POV (which I think is a common problem with a lot of writers, btw). I imagine the author pictured it more like how a movie is filmed, you know, in one room with one character, and then jumping into another room to give us a view of what someone else is up to. That's a little rough on a reader though. The dialogue... I think I had the biggest pr...more
Mikila Marshall
In Dreams is about a girl named Katherine Johns who starts dreaming about a guy she has no clue who he is. All she knows is that he makes her feel all kinds of love. After telling her college roommate Taylor about the "Dream Guy", Taylor makes it her mission to scope out any guy that could actually be him.
I started reading In Dreams about 3 days ago. Not used to reading from the screen of my laptop I soldiered on through headaches and blurred vision.
First off, the characters. Taylor especially...more
Andrea Randall
In Dreams grabbed me in the first chapter and never let go. It actually crept in to my dreams!

The book follows young college students. While the central story is incredibly emotional and devastating all at the same time, the story between the friends is light.

The dialogue is incredibly and wonderfully relevant, something all YA readers will relate to. As a 29-year-old I laughed out loud several times at the interactions between the characters, because it was so much like conversations I had with...more
Rachel
Aimed at teen readers, this book should be liked by it's target crowd. The story has enough romance, teen drama, and mystery to appeal to the younger crowd.
The story was simple, and the book was a fairly easy and fast read. The author has published updates that have fixed many of the typos and grammar errors, but still there is an immaturity to the book that leaves it feeling somehow flat. There is action, suspense, romance, mystery ... but no real depth to the action or the characters.
This book...more
Avid Reader Amy's Reviews
In Dreams is a story about Kathrine who is currently away at college and is roommate to Taylor. Taylor worries about Kathrine when she wakes her up and Kathrine is startled because the dream she had felt so real. She and Taylor set out to find the dream guy. Later they go to a party and Kathrine meets Cooper, the most popular guy in school. He is attracted to Kathrine and the talk. She is also attracted to him but feels connected to the dream guy too. After some time the two start to date. Kathr...more
Carie
Probably 4.5. I loved this book and really haven’t been able to stop thinking about it, despite a few issues I had with the story. Some things seemed entirely too implausible and unbelievable--especially that so many people would just buy into Katherine’s dream guy with no skepticism or question. Many people seemed very quick to believe/encourage her--just blindly accepted that such a thing was possible and completely real. Some of the POV changes in the story confused me a little, too, and I wa...more
Raizza Mae Cinco
I would like to thank the author for giving me an ecopy of her book for review purposes.

07-16-2012

I haven't finished reading this, but I fear that if I do finish this my brain will turn into mush. Say something intelligent, Katherine! I feel like if I continue reading I will turn into a shallow, love-obsessed teen.

There is too much tell in this book and almost no show. How am I supposed to feel, smell, hear, or even see anything if all I get is: "He was beautiful. She was a bitch. I was sexy."?...more
Gayatri
  • Leaving the Comfort Cafe
  • Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
  • Timesplash (Timesplash, #1)
  • Awaken (Patronus #1)
  • Zen Queen
  • Song to Wake to (Levels, # 1)
  • Gateway (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)
  • Bound By Blood
  • Time's Daughter
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Rise from Darkness (Battle for Souls, #1)
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Cupcake
  • Awake: A Fairytale
  • Gift
  • Sundial (Light Bringer, #1)
  • Every Last Kiss (The Bloodstone Saga, #1)
I got fired from my last job. It's true. I know you're sitting there thinking "Jenn, how could anyone in their right mind fire someone as amazing and awesome as you???" And i'd love to give you a good reason, but the truth is- being this awesome is clearly very scary to other less awesome people.

So I said screw them and started writing my first book. And you know what I realized? Writing books th...more
More about J. Sterling...
The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game, #1) The Game Changer (The Perfect Game, #2) The Sweetest Game (The Perfect Game, #3) Chance Encounters Seeing Stars (Celebrity, #1)

“I recognized you instantly. All of our lives flashed through my mind in a split second. I felt a pull so strongly towards you that I almost couldn't stop it.” 117 likes
“What she really craved was a connection. That feeling you got when you knew you were supposed to be with someone.” 44 likes