Start by marking “The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)

The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy #2)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  166 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In this second volume in the Gilgamesh trilogy, Enkidu joins Gilgamesh in the quest to slay Humbaba, the monster who has attacked the city and caused great destruction, including the death of the beautiful singer, Shamat. Gilgamesh and Enkidu successfully slay the monster and in so doing, Gilgamesh attracts the attention of the goddess Ishtar. In rejecting her advances, he ...more
Published April 25th 1998 by Tundra Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Revenge of Ishtar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revenge of Ishtar

Teri
Mar 03, 2012 Teri rated it liked it
Shelves: mesopotamia
My girls all really like the stories of Gilgamesh and Enkido--surprisingly. This is the second in a series of 3 picture books. I like them because of the historical aspect--these stories are some of the very first stories ever recorded, from Mesopotamia.
Jim Erekson
Nov 18, 2015 Jim Erekson rated it really liked it
The tone of Zeman's illustrations drew me in. My favorite part is how in 1993 she predicted the 'comics' rush of 20 years later. She uses a framing technique incorporating visual motifs from Mesopotamian bas relief, which makes the illustrations look like a series of wall carvings or paintings--so appropriate for transporting me back in time for a myth story. The visual story is told in more detail than the story in the words, with a complementary relationship of text to pictures. This was my on ...more
Ebookwormy
I continue to think how valuable these books are for boys in particular. The relationships with the lovely Shamhat and the evil Ishtar illuminate challenges that men the world over face in relationship to women!

Another thrill was that we are making a Royal Game of Ur board game for homeschool. The endnotes of this book contain patterns taken from the ancient game, and Enkidu and Gilgamesh are playing the game (also known as 20 squares) in the opening scene! So exciting! We were also thrilled to
Jean-Marie
This is the second book in the Gilgamesh Trilogy. We read all three picture books as part of our lesson on Ancient Babylon and Ancient Mesopotamia. My kids were fascinated by the stories and the illustrations. We would definitely recommend reading all three books in the trilogy and lingering over all of the interesting and detailed illustrations that tell an additional story about living in the times of ancient Mesopotamia. Look for a picture of the Ishtar Gate among the illustrations.
Aprilleigh
Another beautifully illustrated children's edition of the Epic of Gilgamesh, this time covering the second part of the story where Gilgamesh and Enkidu have their adventures and anger a jealous goddess. This proves to be their downfall as the goddess, Ishtar, plots her revenge on Gilgamesh for rejecting her and on Enkidu for foiling her first attempt at revenge. The book necessarily glosses over parts of the story for the sake of brevity and clarity, but all of the major elements are there.

Altho
Marcus
Jul 15, 2014 Marcus rated it it was amazing
The second story in the trilogy of children's books covering the mythic tale of Gilgamesh it brings us epic battles and tragedy. If you liked the first book in the series, you will love this one!
Heather
Jun 05, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
We totally loved this trilogy. My kids spent hours looking at the pictures and asking me to re-read them.

Granted, it's a violent story so some of you may not want to read it to begin with. But it's handled really nicely and isn't all gory and gross while still retaining the original themes.

The art is done in the style of what has been found during that time which was another way to learn about the time period.

I like to find children's books of classic/adult books and have them read it when they'
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, mythology
Good read for my sixth grade students. Mesopotamia, Gilgamesh
Shelli
Oct 19, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
King Gilgamesh will live in infamy, just as he greatly desired, due to the discovery of those old cuneiform tablets. Ludmila Zeman did a wonderful job adapting and illustrating these oldest known myths. This series of small picture books need to be read in order, and are really 1 tale.
Tiffany
Sep 12, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
You can't go wrong with the slaying of a monster for a great boy story! Add to that the classic loyal friend theme and a bad guy - or girl goddess in this case- and you have the makings of a timeless tale.
Miriam
Jun 27, 2009 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miriam by: Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
Shelves: picture
This series takes the plots from episodes in the Gilgamesh epic. Without background the story may not seem terribly meaningful to children, but the illustrations are amazing.
Heidi
May 19, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great picture book bersion of the Epic of Gilgamesh. My lower elementary kids all loved this one.
Leia Horton
Jun 06, 2009 Leia Horton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manning
Part three of the trilogy; well told and illustrated.
Amy
May 08, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ancient-times
Wonderful. Paul read this series for history.
John
Oct 27, 2012 John added it
:D
Ethan Crenshaw
Ethan Crenshaw rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Leonel
Leonel marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jan 20, 2016
Rbsveter
Rbsveter rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Emma
Emma added it
Jan 12, 2016
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Faith
Faith added it
Jan 05, 2016
Judy Ackerman
Judy Ackerman rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Misty
Misty added it
Dec 19, 2015
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
  • Tirzah
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • Pegasus
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Trade Bind-up)
  • The Golden Sandal: A Middle Eastern Cinderella Story
  • Rome Antics
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • Terminal Mind
  • Cleopatra
  • The Essential Engineer: Why Science Alone Will Not Solve Our Global Problems
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • XML in a Nutshell
Ludmila Zeman - Filmmaker, illustrator, animator, and writer. Born 1947, in Gottwaldov, Czechoslovakia (now Zlín, Czech Republic); immigrated to Canada, 1984; became Canadian citizen, 1988.

Ludmila Zeman built puppets and painted backgrounds for Karel Zeman's films, including Mr. Prokouk the Acrobat; sold first animated short film to Czech TV at age nineteen; created films for Sesame Street and the
More about Ludmila Zeman...

The Gilgamesh Trilogy (3 books)
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)