The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)

The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy #2)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In this second volume in the Gilgamesh trilogy, Enkidu joins Gilgamesh in the quest to slay Humbaba, the monster who has attacked the city and caused great destruction, including the death of the beautiful singer, Shamat. Gilgamesh and Enkidu successfully slay the monster and in so doing, Gilgamesh attracts the attention of the goddess Ishtar. In rejecting her advances, he...more
Published April 25th 1998 by Tundra Books (first published 1993)

Teri
My girls all really like the stories of Gilgamesh and Enkido--surprisingly. This is the second in a series of 3 picture books. I like them because of the historical aspect--these stories are some of the very first stories ever recorded, from Mesopotamia.
Ebookwormy
I continue to think how valuable these books are for boys in particular. The relationships with the lovely Shamhat and the evil Ishtar illuminate challenges that men the world over face in relationship to women!

Another thrill was that we are making a Royal Game of Ur board game for homeschool. The endnotes of this book contain patterns taken from the ancient game, and Enkidu and Gilgamesh are playing the game (also known as 20 squares) in the opening scene! So exciting! We were also thrilled to...more
Jean-Marie
This is the second book in the Gilgamesh Trilogy. We read all three picture books as part of our lesson on Ancient Babylon and Ancient Mesopotamia. My kids were fascinated by the stories and the illustrations. We would definitely recommend reading all three books in the trilogy and lingering over all of the interesting and detailed illustrations that tell an additional story about living in the times of ancient Mesopotamia. Look for a picture of the Ishtar Gate among the illustrations.
Aprilleigh
Another beautifully illustrated children's edition of the Epic of Gilgamesh, this time covering the second part of the story where Gilgamesh and Enkidu have their adventures and anger a jealous goddess. This proves to be their downfall as the goddess, Ishtar, plots her revenge on Gilgamesh for rejecting her and on Enkidu for foiling her first attempt at revenge. The book necessarily glosses over parts of the story for the sake of brevity and clarity, but all of the major elements are there.

Altho...more
Heather
We totally loved this trilogy. My kids spent hours looking at the pictures and asking me to re-read them.

Granted, it's a violent story so some of you may not want to read it to begin with. But it's handled really nicely and isn't all gory and gross while still retaining the original themes.

The art is done in the style of what has been found during that time which was another way to learn about the time period.

I like to find children's books of classic/adult books and have them read it when they'...more
Shelli
King Gilgamesh will live in infamy, just as he greatly desired, due to the discovery of those old cuneiform tablets. Ludmila Zeman did a wonderful job adapting and illustrating these oldest known myths. This series of small picture books need to be read in order, and are really 1 tale.
Tiffany
You can't go wrong with the slaying of a monster for a great boy story! Add to that the classic loyal friend theme and a bad guy - or girl goddess in this case- and you have the makings of a timeless tale.
Miriam
Jun 27, 2009 Miriam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miriam by: Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
Shelves: picture
This series takes the plots from episodes in the Gilgamesh epic. Without background the story may not seem terribly meaningful to children, but the illustrations are amazing.
Heidi
Great picture book bersion of the Epic of Gilgamesh. My lower elementary kids all loved this one.
Leia Horton
Part three of the trilogy; well told and illustrated.
Amy
Wonderful. Paul read this series for history.
John
Oct 27, 2012 John added it
:D
Tawny Nicole
Tawny Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Brittney Comes
Brittney Comes marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Tanveerreza
Tanveerreza marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Toin Coelho
Toin Coelho marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ludmila Zeman - Filmmaker, illustrator, animator, and writer. Born 1947, in Gottwaldov, Czechoslovakia (now Zlín, Czech Republic); immigrated to Canada, 1984; became Canadian citizen, 1988.

Ludmila Zeman built puppets and painted backgrounds for Karel Zeman's films, including Mr. Prokouk the Acrobat; sold first animated short film to Czech TV at age nineteen; created films for Sesame Street and the...more
More about Ludmila Zeman...
Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1) The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3) Sindbad's Secret Sindbad in the Land of Giants The First Red Maple Leaf