Start by marking “Royal Quarry” as Want to Read:
Royal Quarry

Royal Quarry

Hopeless at hunting, Prince Albert has been sent into the woods by his impulsively cruel father, required to kill a stag before he can return. Luckily he has Manning, a quiet and overly competent bodyguard, to rely on. But the familiarity and evident desire growing between prince and bodyguard shame Manning into revealing a secret: the king is using Albert as bait in a pol ...more
Published August 17th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published August 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Royal Quarry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Royal Quarry

Mandapanda
Aug 18, 2011 Mandapanda rated it liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Interesting and well written short story from a new author. This fairy-tale tells us about the lonely and sad Prince Albert whose evil father has sent him off into the woods with guard, Manning. Albert is initially oblivious to the reason he has been sent on this journey and he can't stop his attraction to the older Manning. But both men are in danger and must find a way to foil the King's plans.

I enjoyed this story although it does have a slightly melancholy air and feels unfinished. I would be
Megan
Sep 10, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
Recommended to Megan by: Ana
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy
Not a bad read. I felt the whole matter was kind of anticlimatic, since not much of anything really came from it. But I enjoyed the MC and his LI, and hope they continue on well together.
Merith
Sep 17, 2011 Merith rated it liked it
Three stars is being a little generous, but the writing is good. This short feels like there should be more - like this is a prelude to a much longer story of castle intrigue and kingdom wars.
Cole Riann
Aug 19, 2011 Cole Riann rated it really liked it
3.75 stars (rounded up)

This was a wonderful story. I loved everything about it except for one thing. I thought that the story went about 15% past where it felt the natural ending should be. As a consequence, the story felt like it was opening up into new directions that it wasn't prepared to deliver, which confused me and made the ending incredibly foggy.

The rest of the story was actually pretty great.
Meggie
Aug 23, 2011 Meggie rated it it was ok
The review for this short novella gave me the impression, the story would be longer and the plot developed deeper and better. What I read today was simply to short, to bland and easily forgotten.
Enny
Aug 20, 2011 Enny rated it liked it
2.5 stars with an added half star for a novice author. The book was ok if a bit weird but when I got to the ending I was like "WTF?".
ManOhMan
Jan 30, 2012 ManOhMan rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Reviewed by Stacey Jo: This is a novella that is fifty-nine pages so it can be read in about an hour. It very much reminded me of Sleeping Beauty, or at least it has a few of the elements of that fairytale. The king sends Manning, one of his bodyguards, off into the forest with his son, Prince Albert, on what is supposedly a hunting expedition. It is, but there is a more sinister plan at work by the king. Along the way though, Manning and Albert start to become friends. The budding friendship is ...more
Sharon
Sep 13, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it

Prince Albert is 20 years old and the only heir to a cruel King. He may seem to be a spoiled child and have a life of luxury, but in reality he is scared for his life, lonely and emotionally closed off because he can’t trust anyone since people must be nice to him because of his Royal position.

Manning, who is 35 years old, has lived a hard life. Running away from home and joining the army as a young boy, then becoming part of the Royal Guard. He has had to
Alaska
Apr 25, 2012 Alaska rated it it was ok
Shelves: men-in-uniform

Like others said before me. Writing and characters were not bad but the ending was very weak. It felt like the author intended to write a longer story but lost interest halfway through and fabricated a hurried ending to be done with it. I'm not even sure what genre it is supposed to be.
(view spoiler)
Lexi Ander
Sep 04, 2011 Lexi Ander rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-historical
This was quick but wonderful story about a not-so spoiled Prince Albert and the King's bodyguard, Manning. I liked the slow build of romantic tension between the two overshadowed by King's plot. I really worried for Manning there at the end, knowing that protecting the Prince would come at a price. I did appreciate that culmination of their desires was put off to the end. It would have been wrong and awkward if it happened in the middle. No, my one complaint was that I wanted much more (view spo ...more
Cyd
Apr 22, 2016 Cyd rated it it was ok
Writing was okay. The plot was nonsensical and truncated making the tale unbelievable. Come on, really,
After the very real possibility of getting caught lying, the MC's discuss how they fooled the king in the Prince's bedroom knowing there are spies.Then, they jump in bed. Right, like their not going to get caught eventually. Plus, the sex scene was bland.
The Prince's confession of neutralizing the dying servant was interesting because it revealed some unusual character. Same with Manning's stor
Ayanna
Feb 26, 2013 Ayanna rated it liked it
It was good until the author decided to ignore the intrigue xe spun and end it on a focusing-on-the-romance-to-the-exclusion-of-all-else note.

~sigh.

Parts of it were a bit awk. Like "O_o why are you explaining this beyond 'to further the plot'?"

But it was still good-ish, I guess.

1-star penalty for the ending/awk direction change and accumulated other awk phrasings and slight lack of development in places (in all honesty, it was how it ended that decided the "go down" for me...)

To sum up, I agree
Stacey Jo
A short but engaging story that had some elements of Sleeping Beauty. The characters were likeable. It was more of a HFN than a HEA. Feels more like a prequel. There were many elements that could be expanded on that would make this an excellent novel. It was a really good story though.

My full review is at Manohmanreviews.blogspot.com
Samington
It felt unfinished and what was there didn't grab me. Albert was indecisive and not engaging, and I felt no investment in his and Manning's relationship. The end, too, was sloppy. Also, sorry, page who was brutally whipped thanks to Albert's lies and his inability to stand up to his tropish evil king father; sucks to be you, I guess.
Omega696
It had a fairy tale like flow. In theory I should have loved it as I enjoy fairy tales and legends.
Unfortunately the story lacked something. I'm not even exactly sure what, maybe some stronger emotions or character developement.
As it was, I've read it but most probably will forget about the book by tomorrow morning.
Fehu
Sep 29, 2011 Fehu rated it liked it
I liked the book but it has an aprupt ending. After describing how horible the king is, the end seemes a bit forced to be a happy end for the couple.
What I liked about it, were the characters but more of a story development would have been better.
Jilrene ♥
Sep 23, 2014 Jilrene ♥ rated it really liked it
Adorable ending. More HFN, with the hope for a future together. Albert is quite the sympathetic character. I really enjoyed this short story.
Todd
Maria (aka Fashionta)
Maria (aka Fashionta) rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Kiki
Kiki rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Cap'n Muchiko
Cap'n Muchiko rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2012
Ambre
Ambre rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Meganjoy
Meganjoy rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2011
Princhesata
Princhesata rated it it was ok
May 12, 2012
IndigoBlue
IndigoBlue rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Zuyuan
Zuyuan rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2011
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Royal Quarry by Charlotte Rahn-Lee 1 14 Aug 17, 2011 08:21AM
Charlotte Rahn-Lee grew up in the Fingerlakes region of New York and now lives in New York City. She has always loved educating herself and inventing and acting out stories, so naturally, when she graduated college, she went on to get a Master of Fine Arts in playwriting. She has written a number of plays and has been produced in small theaters in Philadelphia and New York.

Charlotte thanks her fam
More about Charlotte Rahn-Lee...