Start by marking “After the Sunset (Timing, #2)” as Want to Read:
After the Sunset (Timing, #2)

After the Sunset (Timing #2)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,744 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
Two years after riding off into the sunset with ranch owner Rand Holloway, Stefan Joss has made a tentative peace with his new life, teaching at a community college. But the course of true love never does run smooth. Rand wants him home on the ranch; Stef wants an exit strategy in case Rand ever decides to throw him out. Finally, after recognizing how unfair he's being, St ...more
Published August 17th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published August 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about After the Sunset, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Best M/M Romance Published in 2011
19th out of 506 books — 1,020 voters
The Tin Star by J.L. LangleyBareback by Chris OwenThe Broken H by J.L. LangleyTiming by Mary CalmesNatural Disaster by Chris Owen
Best Gay Cowboys
14th out of 309 books — 508 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy Lane
Aug 21, 2011 Amy Lane rated it it was amazing
Okay-- there is something comforting about knowing when you open a book there will be witty dialog, hot, strong men (a cowboy in this case!) and REALLY scorching sex scenes that make you remember that sex is, at its best, one of the most enjoyable and funnest parts of falling in love.

That's what reading a Mary Calmes book is like--characters who are smart, dialog that is sparkling, and the strong undercurrent of family and kindness and putting yourself out for your mate because that's what havin
Susan
Mar 13, 2013 Susan rated it liked it

URGH...I've learned an important lesson: as much as I love a Mary Calmes book, I must read in doses. Too much Calmes can lead to sudden irritation and aggravation.

Man, if I didn’t stress enough in my review of “Timing”, book 1 of this series, I will just drive the message home...this series is EXACTLY the “Matter of Time” saga, but in Texas on a ranch. And just as she did with that series, Calmes blows a perfectly GREAT coupling by separating them to do their own thing in the follow up.

GRRRR..
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Mar 03, 2016 R * A Reader Obsessed * rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Two years later and not much has changed and I'm soooo ok with that.

Stefan is finally enmeshed in the ranch life. In his efforts to help Rand out, he gets himself into quite the situation. Have no worries though, because he always comes out on top through his stubborn determination and irresistible charm.

Rand unsurprisingly continues to be just as possessive and dominating, committed to his Stefan like nobody's business. He's got everything planned out to ensure their future and I like
Alyosha
Read like an old harlequin.

- Caveman- like top, the hottest man alive, right.
- Twinky, beautiful bottom who has the power to turn nearly every straight man gay.
- insert rough possesive sex
- Family secrets
- Twink saves the day.
- Caveman saves the twink.
- insert rough possesive sex

My biggest quibble with the story was a purely personal one - meat industry. It played such a big part in the story that it really took away from my enjoyment.

Tara♥
Mar 15, 2016 Tara♥ rated it really liked it
"You are my life. Nothing else means anything if you're not here."

Have I mentioned I like cowboys?

Anyways!!

This was a really good follow up to 'Timing' but there wasn't enough Rand for my liking. I'm greedy like that!!

Still nice to see how Stef and Rand are getting on after 2 years together. Not sure about the family subplot but I enjoyed the Rodeo. Would have been better with Rand there but whatever.

Heather C
I really want to give it 1 star but I'm going to give it 2 because I was so happy to see it finally end.

This would have been a Did Not Finish for me after the first chapter, but I was reading it with Bubbles (Dane) and he forced me to finish it.

What I liked:
The only thing I liked about this book was that it had an ending.

What I disliked:

1. It was boring and the plot was totally silly and there were many contradictions from the first book. Usually I can over look some of that, but this was beyon
Meags
4 Stars

I think I’m going to be a big fan of Mary Calmes. No real surprise there – many of my GR friends would rant and rave every time I mentioned I’d never read one of Mary Calmes’ books before, like I was some sort of unforgivable sinner. The fact that they were right and I was wrong doesn’t need to be the focus here, lest they get a big head over it (you know who you are *side-eyes*).

I always love a good sequel; especially a “post-HEA” sequel. Here, we got to revisit Stef and Rand, two years
Alicia J
I don't know what it is about these characters, but I just love them. Sure, the story is a bit over the top and self-indulgent, but who cares? Hot cowboys more than make up for it.
MsMiz (Tina)
Aug 17, 2011 MsMiz (Tina) rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt-all, pdf
There better be more stories of Rand and Stef. I WANT to see babies!
Mandapanda
Aug 17, 2011 Mandapanda rated it liked it
Shelves: various-romance
3.5 stars. This is the sequel to one of my favourite Mary Calmes novels, Timing. I wasn't sure if it really needed a sequel and was a bit worried about what she would do to the boys (Stefan Joss and Rand Holloway). But it's actually quite enjoyable. There is no great angst and no threat to their relationship. This is more a look at their lives 2 years down the track.

The fun in this story comes from the family dramas that surround them. There is a feud between Rand and his uncle and cousins to de
MishyJo
Oct 31, 2015 MishyJo rated it liked it
3.5 Stars -- audibook

I want a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Or 6. I may have to go live on the Ranch with Rand and Steph.
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

***4 Stars***

"I ain't never seen a man who so wanted to belong and who was scared to, all at the same time. It makes me tired just watchin' you wrestle with yourself."

Two years have passed since Stefan and Rand got together. Things are going great. Both men are adjusting and creating a life together. However, Stefan's old fears are hard to shake. Things can't be this perfect, can they? He's just waiting for the other shoe to drop....putting together an exit strategy just in case. And Rand se
Vicktor Alexander
Aug 19, 2011 Vicktor Alexander rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: M/M Romance Group, Thorny, Laddie, Matt, Brad, Cole, Jordie, Heather M, EVERYONE
In the book "Timing" I fell in love with the passionate dynamic of Stefan Joss and Rand Holloway. In this book, "After the Sunset," that passionate dynamic, their love for each other, and the lengths that they both will go to to see the other happy, settled, and thriving settled deep into my soul, buried itself and set up shop.

When this book first began I was a little nervous that Stef would still be trying to give himself a way out, an escape plan, just in case things went south with Rand, but
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★

Stef gets the chance to prove his devotion, he doesn’t hesitate—despite the risk to his health—and Rand Loves him some Stef!

"His kiss was possessive, telling me without words who I belonged to. His hands were on my face as he moved my head so he could kiss my chin, jaw, and throat. It was wet and hot, and I whimpered"

They were HOT and they were adorable.

This was an easy read, and I did not expect to have so much fun at a rodeo in Prada....but, I love rodeo's , I love Prada, and I love books wi
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
I really enjoyed this series.If you are looking for a fun read this book is for you.
Stefan and Rand one of my favorite couple.

Two years after riding off into the sunset with ranch owner Rand Holloway.Stefan has made a tentative peace with his new life, teaching at a community college.

Finally, after recognizing how unfair he's being, Stef makes a commitment, and Rand is over the moon.

And so am I.

What I like most is the introduction of so many new Characters.I hope the series continues.This series
T.A. Webb
Dec 17, 2011 T.A. Webb rated it it was amazing
"Everybody wants to touch you all the time. I'm the only one who can't when I want to be the only one that can."

After confessing his attraction to Stefan Joss and winning the man's love, Rand Holloway has talked him into moving to his ranch and starting a new life. But Stef has been playing it safe, holding back. Because Stef is a hard man to pin down, and even harder to make stay. But that is what he wants to do for Rand. Make a home, be a family.

So when he takes a job at the local community c
Heller
Jun 15, 2012 Heller rated it it was amazing
I'm such a sucker for Mary Calmes books and characters. I love that we get to revisit Stefan and Rand two years later to see how life treating them on the Red Diamond.

If I had a complaint it would be that they don't spend enough time together and that's a shame. When they are together it's wonderful to read, they have a sharp compelling chemistry and I couldn't see either one of these guys with anyone else. I love the snapshot of ranch life and wish we'd gotten more of that.

I don't know that w
Brandilyn
Reviewed for Prism Book alliance

I have had Timing on audio for what seems like ever. With almost five years between the release of Timing on Audio and After the Sunset, I was concerned about the differences between the narrations. However, I need not have worried. Sean Crisden brought Stefan and Rand to life in the first installment, and he nailed them again in this installment. I listened to Timing and Sunset back to back and it was a virtually seamless transition between the two.

Gina
Mar 13, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing
 photo 1sm169dance3_zps0ac65558.gif
This was a heart warming, feel good, sweet story. This is 2 years after Rand and Stefan have been together, we first met them in Timing. This took place at a rodeo, Rand is helping a fellow farmer on their ranch and forgot about the rodeo. If the Red Diamond doesn't make an appearance then Rand loses his grazing rights to a parcel of land. Stefan decides to go in Rand's place and doesn't tell him. Now for most of this story we don't see Rand which disappoints me honestly. But watching Stefan na
Lacey
I liked this continuation of Rand and Stef's story for the most part. I felt like this story was more well written than the last one, and even the characters seemed a little bit more well-rounded and believable. Stef's character especially was more realistic in this one. Unlike in Timing, problems weren't resolved by Stef simply walking into a room or smiling at a woman, and the women didn't fall all over Stef trying to pet him - basically he didn't seem as 'perfect' as he did earlier (however t ...more
Isabel
Jul 25, 2014 Isabel rated it really liked it
It would be much better if Stef and Rand were together through all the book, but they were in different places most of the time...

I would like to see them married and with children... maybe someday there will be a sequel.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Holy Shit I finished this!!! I didn't really like it mostly boring lots of stuff that was confusing or contradictory. I am still not sure what the point of this book was, like it would introduce something and I would think this would lead somewhere but it never did and something new (and still not interesting for me) would be introduced but I am too lazy to write out all of that so Heather C is writing out all the stuff I didn’t like and posting it in her review.

SO for my thoughts check out Hea
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jul 06, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Of course I loved it. Like swimming in sugar and never coming up for air. I am just so very happy now. Read.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I rate books according to my enjoyment, and I enjoyed this, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, but I have to say that all the things I wished for after reading the first book in the series didn't really happen.

I wanted to see more of Jory Stefan when he was not dismissing his fears of losing Rand and what they have. Stefan got the reassurance he craved for from Rand, friends and the ranch workers, but I didn't have the impression he really dealt with them. He seemed to be swept away by the w
Purplegirl
Apr 18, 2012 Purplegirl rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, cowboys, fictionwise
I ate this book up just like Timing. Stefan and Rand are up there with my favorite couples. They make me smile:) I wouldn't mind seeing a story with them having kids. That would probably be hilarious.
Debra
May 17, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this sequel, but lost a star just because Stef and Rand are in two different locations from each other for much of the book.

This book covers a lot of ground with Stef off to the rodeo in Rand's absence to save grazing rights to a piece of their land. The two have come far in the two years they have been together, but Stef is still expecting Rand to lose interest and tell him to leave.

The plot revolves around drama from Rand's past and his extended family. I liked that Rand has no proble
Maya
Apr 25, 2015 Maya rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiodick
04/23/15 4 Stars Audible Version

08/20/11 I see that there are quite a few who did not enjoy this book but I have to say that I did quite a bit. It has the same tone and flow as Timing. There is very little angst. Steph and Rand are very much in love and there are no doubts about that and there are no petty jealousies thrown in so that the MC's can 'prove' their love. There is just lots of family drama with the Halloway's and Steph is in the middle of all of it as usual. I do have to say that I d
Zainab
Oct 22, 2014 Zainab rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, m-m
I didn't want it to end :/

REVIEW TO COME!
Nov 18, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Me encanta poder ver qué hacen "mis" chicos después de haber acabado juntos *.*

Ya dije en la reseña de Timing que para mí los libros de Mary Calmes son siempre una lectura de comfort (un "placer culpable" si queréis llamarlo así), porque sé que lo que me da me va a gustar. Y esta secuela no es menos.

Vemos, dos años después de que acabara el primer libro, cómo ha evolucionado la relación entre Rand y Stef, y cómo Stef ha superado o está superando poco a poco alguna inseguridad que no le permití
Jacq
Sep 26, 2015 Jacq rated it it was amazing
5 Stars OMG Thank you Mary Calmes. I love the possession-love-domenence-and down right claiming your man. A true love story with a supportive family loyalty and love. One delicious treat there were Absolutely no shortage on smexy scenes super HOT!

I love love love... that the cover's fine details with the number 7 was implemented in the story.
Totally awesome!
A Million More Pages: 2 - After the Sunset (Timing): Apr 21 15 17 Apr 25, 2015 02:30AM
Dreamspinner Press: After the Sunset by Mary Calmes 17 35 Aug 17, 2011 04:37PM
  • Texas Winter (Texas, #2)
  • A Troubled Range (Range, #2)
  • Living Promises (Promises, #3)
  • Natural Disaster (Bareback, #2)
  • Long Tall Drink
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #2)
  • Inherit the Sky (Lang Downs, #1)
  • Morning Report (Morning Report, #1)
  • Home of His Own (Home, #2)
  • The Broken H (Ranch Series, #2)
  • Shying Away (Shying Away #1)
  • Force of Law
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Knowing Caleb (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #5)
  • My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys, #1)
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Timing (2 books)
  • Timing (Timing, #1)

“And what the fuck were you doing parading around in those jeans and that shirt last—”
“Parading?”
“You are not allowed to put on your fuck-me clothes if I ain’t there to do the fucking!”
29 likes