Start by marking “After the Sunset (Timing, #2)” as Want to Read:
After the Sunset (Timing, #2)

After the Sunset (Timing #2)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  2,424 ratings  ·  194 reviews
Two years after riding off into the sunset with ranch owner Rand Holloway, Stefan Joss has made a tentative peace with his new life, teaching at a community college. But the course of true love never does run smooth. Rand wants him home on the ranch; Stef wants an exit strategy in case Rand ever decides to throw him out. Finally, after recognizing how unfair he's being, St ...more
Published August 17th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published August 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about After the Sunset, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Best M/M Romance Published in 2011
19th out of 503 books — 1,007 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesCut & Run by Abigail RouxWith Caution by J.L. LangleySticks & Stones by Abigail RouxForce of Law by Jez Morrow
Best Gay Alpha Males
35th out of 542 books — 718 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy Lane
Okay-- there is something comforting about knowing when you open a book there will be witty dialog, hot, strong men (a cowboy in this case!) and REALLY scorching sex scenes that make you remember that sex is, at its best, one of the most enjoyable and funnest parts of falling in love.

That's what reading a Mary Calmes book is like--characters who are smart, dialog that is sparkling, and the strong undercurrent of family and kindness and putting yourself out for your mate because that's what havin
Susan

URGH...I've learned an important lesson: as much as I love a Mary Calmes book, I must read in doses. Too much Calmes can lead to sudden irritation and aggravation.

Man, if I didn’t stress enough in my review of “Timing”, book 1 of this series, I will just drive the message home...this series is EXACTLY the “Matter of Time” saga, but in Texas on a ranch. And just as she did with that series, Calmes blows a perfectly GREAT coupling by separating them to do their own thing in the follow up.

GRRRR..
Alyosha
Read like an old harlequin.

- Caveman- like top, the hottest man alive, right.
- Twinky, beautiful bottom who has the power to turn nearly every straight man gay.
- insert rough possesive sex
- Family secrets
- Twink saves the day.
- Caveman saves the twink.
- insert rough possesive sex

My biggest quibble with the story was a purely personal one - meat industry. It played such a big part in the story that it really took away from my enjoyment.

Tara♥
"You are my life. Nothing else means anything if you're not here."

Have I mentioned I like cowboys?

Anyways!!

This was a really good follow up to 'Timing' but there wasn't enough Rand for my liking. I'm greedy like that!!

Still nice to see how Stef and Rand are getting on after 2 years together. Not sure about the family subplot but I enjoyed the Rodeo. Would have been better with Rand there but whatever.

Heather C
I really want to give it 1 star but I'm going to give it 2 because I was so happy to see it finally end.

This would have been a Did Not Finish for me after the first chapter, but I was reading it with Bubbles (Dane) and he forced me to finish it.

What I liked:
The only thing I liked about this book was that it had an ending.

What I disliked:

1. It was boring and the plot was totally silly and there were many contradictions from the first book. Usually I can over look some of that, but this was beyon
MsMiz (Tina)
There better be more stories of Rand and Stef. I WANT to see babies!
MandyM
3.5 stars. This is the sequel to one of my favourite Mary Calmes novels, Timing. I wasn't sure if it really needed a sequel and was a bit worried about what she would do to the boys (Stefan Joss and Rand Holloway). But it's actually quite enjoyable. There is no great angst and no threat to their relationship. This is more a look at their lives 2 years down the track.

The fun in this story comes from the family dramas that surround them. There is a feud between Rand and his uncle and cousins to de
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

***4 Stars***

"I ain't never seen a man who so wanted to belong and who was scared to, all at the same time. It makes me tired just watchin' you wrestle with yourself."

Two years have passed since Stefan and Rand got together. Things are going great. Both men are adjusting and creating a life together. However, Stefan's old fears are hard to shake. Things can't be this perfect, can they? He's just waiting for the other shoe to drop....putting together an exit strategy just in case. And Rand se
Vicktor Alexander
Aug 19, 2011 Vicktor Alexander rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: M/M Romance Group, Thorny, Laddie, Matt, Brad, Cole, Jordie, Heather M, EVERYONE
In the book "Timing" I fell in love with the passionate dynamic of Stefan Joss and Rand Holloway. In this book, "After the Sunset," that passionate dynamic, their love for each other, and the lengths that they both will go to to see the other happy, settled, and thriving settled deep into my soul, buried itself and set up shop.

When this book first began I was a little nervous that Stef would still be trying to give himself a way out, an escape plan, just in case things went south with Rand, but
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
I really enjoyed this series.If you are looking for a fun read this book is for you.
Stefan and Rand one of my favorite couple.

Two years after riding off into the sunset with ranch owner Rand Holloway.Stefan has made a tentative peace with his new life, teaching at a community college.

Finally, after recognizing how unfair he's being, Stef makes a commitment, and Rand is over the moon.

And so am I.

What I like most is the introduction of so many new Characters.I hope the series continues.This series
T.A. Webb
"Everybody wants to touch you all the time. I'm the only one who can't when I want to be the only one that can."

After confessing his attraction to Stefan Joss and winning the man's love, Rand Holloway has talked him into moving to his ranch and starting a new life. But Stef has been playing it safe, holding back. Because Stef is a hard man to pin down, and even harder to make stay. But that is what he wants to do for Rand. Make a home, be a family.

So when he takes a job at the local community c
Brandilyn
Reviewed for Prism Book alliance

I have had Timing on audio for what seems like ever. With almost five years between the release of Timing on Audio and After the Sunset, I was concerned about the differences between the narrations. However, I need not have worried. Sean Crisden brought Stefan and Rand to life in the first installment, and he nailed them again in this installment. I listened to Timing and Sunset back to back and it was a virtually seamless transition between the two.

Gina
Mar 13, 2013 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
 photo 1sm169dance3_zps0ac65558.gif
This was a heart warming, feel good, sweet story. This is 2 years after Rand and Stefan have been together, we first met them in Timing. This took place at a rodeo, Rand is helping a fellow farmer on their ranch and forgot about the rodeo. If the Red Diamond doesn't make an appearance then Rand loses his grazing rights to a parcel of land. Stefan decides to go in Rand's place and doesn't tell him. Now for most of this story we don't see Rand which disappoints me honestly. But watching Stefan na
Lacey
I liked this continuation of Rand and Stef's story for the most part. I felt like this story was more well written than the last one, and even the characters seemed a little bit more well-rounded and believable. Stef's character especially was more realistic in this one. Unlike in Timing, problems weren't resolved by Stef simply walking into a room or smiling at a woman, and the women didn't fall all over Stef trying to pet him - basically he didn't seem as 'perfect' as he did earlier (however t ...more
Isabel
It would be much better if Stef and Rand were together through all the book, but they were in different places most of the time...

I would like to see them married and with children... maybe someday there will be a sequel.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Holy Shit I finished this!!! I didn't really like it mostly boring lots of stuff that was confusing or contradictory. I am still not sure what the point of this book was, like it would introduce something and I would think this would lead somewhere but it never did and something new (and still not interesting for me) would be introduced but I am too lazy to write out all of that so Heather C is writing out all the stuff I didn’t like and posting it in her review.

SO for my thoughts check out Hea
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I rate books according to my enjoyment, and I enjoyed this, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, but I have to say that all the things I wished for after reading the first book in the series didn't really happen.

I wanted to see more of Jory Stefan when he was not dismissing his fears of losing Rand and what they have. Stefan got the reassurance he craved for from Rand, friends and the ranch workers, but I didn't have the impression he really dealt with them. He seemed to be swept away by the w
Heller
I'm such a sucker for Mary Calmes books and characters. I love that we get to revisit Stefan and Rand two years later to see how life treating them on the Red Diamond.

If I had a complaint it would be that they don't spend enough time together and that's a shame. When they are together it's wonderful to read, they have a sharp compelling chemistry and I couldn't see either one of these guys with anyone else. I love the snapshot of ranch life and wish we'd gotten more of that.

I don't know that w
Purplegirl
I ate this book up just like Timing. Stefan and Rand are up there with my favorite couples. They make me smile:) I wouldn't mind seeing a story with them having kids. That would probably be hilarious.
Debra
Enjoyed this sequel, but lost a star just because Stef and Rand are in two different locations from each other for much of the book.

This book covers a lot of ground with Stef off to the rodeo in Rand's absence to save grazing rights to a piece of their land. The two have come far in the two years they have been together, but Stef is still expecting Rand to lose interest and tell him to leave.

The plot revolves around drama from Rand's past and his extended family. I liked that Rand has no proble
Maya
04/23/15 4 Stars Audible Version

08/20/11 I see that there are quite a few who did not enjoy this book but I have to say that I did quite a bit. It has the same tone and flow as Timing. There is very little angst. Steph and Rand are very much in love and there are no doubts about that and there are no petty jealousies thrown in so that the MC's can 'prove' their love. There is just lots of family drama with the Halloway's and Steph is in the middle of all of it as usual. I do have to say that I d
Zainab
I didn't want it to end :/

REVIEW TO COME!
Sam
Changed from 4 to 5 stars Oct/12.

I love Rand and I love Stef. When Rand walks through the crowd toward Stef when his leg is broken, I sighed along with every character in the book watching him—sensational.

They are perfect together!

These two books, along with Acrobat I will reread over and over.
Veronica /  V
The part that I was very happy about this book was... when I read last page and it was finally over. I don't want to see this 2 guys ever again.
I will leave like that.
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★
Classic Mary Calmes Sweetness~
And I Loved It!
Shelby
I had put off reading this book for a very long time as I didn't particularly enjoy the first book in the series. I knew I'd get around to finishing it at some point, but was waiting for the right kick. I'm happy to finally have gotten to this one though. I actually enjoyed it much more than the first book in the series.

Ok so Stef is still Stef. He's over the top, always ends up in trouble, but everyone loves him and wants to protect him from everything. He's the adorable gay man everyone wants
Morgan  Skye
Now that Stefan and Rand are together we get to see just how they manage to make things work between the city-boy Stefan and the recently-gay-rancher Rand.

It’s a great look at a couple after the “happy ending”. With Rand and Stefan there is so much keeping them apart that you have to wonder how they made it happen.

Well, it turns out it wasn’t that easy. Stefan is still keeping himself distant and not fully committed to Rand and Rand senses this.

When something comes up taking Rand out of town, St
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This review can be found at The Blogger Girls review site.

When I read Timing, I wanted a sequel ASAP. Unfortunately, when the sequel came out, some friends couldn’t help but leak some spoilers that really put me off and made me not want to read it. I finally had the courage to read the sequel and I must say, I’m glad I finally did.

This was a sweet story about how Stefan tries to help Rand keep some land in another town when Rand is unable to do it himself. I loved that Stefan and Rand were the s
L-D
I've had this series in my Nook for awhile and I'm glad I finally got around to reading them. I liked this sequel even better than the first book. After the HEA of the first book, I wondered what the second book could be about, but I think it wrapped things up very nicely.

Stefan and Rand have been a couple for 2 years. After his company went out of business, Stefan moved to TX to work closer to Rand and live at the ranch. This way he gets to be with Rand, but still hold on to his career. While R
Gwendolyn
It's two years after the end of Timing when this book picks up. This isn't about the relationship of Rand and Stef as much as it is about Stef figuring out his life with Rand. This book is about Stef discovering how he fits in and if he can feel like his own man now that his life now revolves the ranch and Rand. Him moving to Texas is not how he thought it would be.

The book felt short to me because 81 of the 168 pages they are apart. I absolutely love this couple, but half the book has no Rand
A Million More Pages: 2 - After the Sunset (Timing): Apr 21 15 13 Apr 25, 2015 02:30AM
Dreamspinner Press: After the Sunset by Mary Calmes 17 35 Aug 17, 2011 04:37PM
  • The Heart of Texas (Texas, #1)
  • Living Promises (Promises, #3)
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #2)
  • A Troubled Range (Range, #2)
  • Natural Disaster (Bareback, #2)
  • Inherit the Sky (Lang Downs, #1)
  • Morning Report (Morning Report, #1)
  • The Broken H (Ranch Series, #2)
  • Wishing for a Home (Home, #3)
  • My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys, #1)
  • Stars & Stripes (Cut & Run, #6)
  • Force of Law
  • Good to Know (Good to Know, #1)
  • Long Tall Drink
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Timing (2 books)
  • Timing (Timing, #1)
Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1) A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #1) Timing (Timing, #1) Frog Trusted Bond (Change of Heart, #2)

“And what the fuck were you doing parading around in those jeans and that shirt last—”
“Parading?”
“You are not allowed to put on your fuck-me clothes if I ain’t there to do the fucking!”
28 likes