Start by marking “The Road Not Taken and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
The Road Not Taken and Other Poems

The Road Not Taken and Other Poems

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  23,645 ratings  ·  171 reviews
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

These deceptively simple lines from the title poem of this collection suggest Robert Frost at his most representative: the language is simple, clear and colloquial, yet dense with meaning and wider significance. Drawing upon everyday incidents, common situations and
Paperback, Unabridged, 49 pages
Published April 19th 1993 by Dover Publications (first published 1916)

To ask other readers questions about The Road Not Taken and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road Not Taken and Other Poems

Jean
This is a short selection of poems by Robert Frost, who was born in San Francisco, California, in 1874. Although he is considered to be one of the greatest American poets of the twentieth century, his first collection, "A Boy's Will" was originally published in England in 1913, during the 3 short years when he lived in England, between 1912-1915. In England he made some important acquaintances, including Edward Thomas and Rupert Brooke, who were both member of the group of six known as the Dymoc ...more
Peycho Kanev
Frost, do what only the exceptional poets do, he captures a moment, or moments that we all have experienced at one time in life all thru our whole life. "The Road Not Taken " can be placed against a passage in Longfellow's notebooks: "Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be,—a psychological romance of possibilities and things that do not happen. By going out a few minutes sooner or later, by stopping to speak with a friend at a corner, by meeting this man or that, or by tu ...more
Sally
It may sound cliched but this has always been a favorite of mine...I'm far from being able to recite any of his works, but something about curling up with this book feels like home to me.
Sachin
"The Road Not Taken" included in the list of 10 most liked poems by American Authors of All times is truly a perfect example of interweaving of delight and wisdom. Robert Frost one of the most liked American poet with his extraordinary brilliance and also known for his ambigious approach towards things, brings forth the ultimate reality of each and every human soul faced with the fact of making a decision in life.
the poem expatiates not on the choices available in one's life but on the one choic
M/Ðɑηηɑ
Sep 23, 2014 M/Ðɑηηɑ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody. Forget about hating poetry (like I did) and pick it up
I have never liked poetry that much, which does not make much sense, since I love songs with beautiful lyrics. Yet, we have learned a poem of Robert Frost in English class in school and I really liked it - 'The Road Not Taken', actually. The english itself is not as hard as it might seem, and I could actually make sense out of it, and even enjoy it. The thing is, in class, we were discussing this poem forever and I, who got the meaning of the poem from the very first lesson, could not stand just ...more
Camilla
I started reading Frost in high school and now after college years I still love his mastery of words. One of my favorites is The Mending WAll.
Taymara Jagmohan
A man of true sagacity.
Look me into his eyes, and see his warm prose. He writes like a tree, and lives as tall as one.

Robert Frost is a poet. He adjusts his imagination to reality, and adds inspiration to all his voices.

A common man with the most magical words. He doesn't ask for the wise to worship his words, and that's one of the glories of a true writer. They don't gratify anyone's compliments, but they know deeper in their depths what they are made of.

What this poet mentioned dug a life int
Adrian Stumpp
I doubt anyone who has avoided reading Robert Frost is going to do it just because I say so. If you've never read a Frost poem, you've done so deliberately. All I can say is you're missing out. This collection is particular is very good. Editor Louis Untermeyer divides the collection into the various phases of Frosts career and adds commentary worth reading. I highly recommend Frost in particular to fiction writers, especially Frost's narrative poems, which are subtle and piercing.
Barbara Lovejoy
I got this book because one of my most favorite poems is The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost. I was disappointed that I didn't find more poems in this book that I really liked. Maybe I need to read it again as it often takes more than one read with poetry---and books, too, for that matter!
Ginger
He has long been favorite poet. I cannot imagine not loving his poetry, but apparently there are those who do not. I think he can seem deceptively simple, but his poems have always painted vivid pictures for me.
Monica Jones
I absolutely love reading his poems. He is an amazing poet and analyzing his poems is fun. When you look deeper they had an important message.
Danny Hampson
Being a novice to the genre of poetry this book was a great introduction to one of the greatest American poets of all time. Frost’s takes scenes from his everyday life and turns them into beautiful happenings that drip with wonder. Frost’s simple style and often rhyming poems are enjoyable to read and are refreshing in their simplicity. Without trying to prove himself through heavy language each poem feels light and rolls off the tongue with a musicality that makes them impossible to forget. Rea ...more
Corinne
Beautiful. Robert Frost's poetry, for all intents and purposes, is what opened my heart to the little things in life. Every flower, every gust of wind that lifts my hair... I notice these things and wonder and think and live. To keep myself centered, I remind myself everyday that "the road less travelled by" makes all the difference. A rain shower brightens my day. Snow makes me warm inside. Rivers and streams help me to breathe easier. The soft undulations of grass under a dying summer breeze l ...more
Travis Ristau
I thought this poem was a good inspiration for someone to do something different instead of copying everyone else. Robert Frost did a good job of using the split in a road as an example that could happen in real life to anyone. I feel like he also did a good job of explaining what each path looked like. This helps enhance that everyone was going down the same road, but he was different. I would recommend to anyone over 10 as they can probably comprehend its meaning.
Joana Mansour
Love it! I had to read it in English class. I'm not crazy about poems but this really is a good one. Definitely recommended!
Love, love, love this book. Robert Frost is my all time favorite poet, and I have always had a soft spot for poetry. Frost examines nature, human frailty, life, and self confidence in this collection of poems. In my personal opinion, Frost has the ability to take an everyday experience that each person struggles with and turn it into a sentence that allows you to grasp the weight of the experience. I could read it over and over.
Elaine
The speaker has come to choose a path and he's unsure which way to go, he wishes he could go both ways. He looks down one path as far as he can see, but then he decides to take the other. He thinks the path he decides to take is not quite as worn as the other one, but really, the paths are about the same. The speaker reflects on how he plans to take the road that he didn't take another day, but suspects that he probably won't ever come back. Instead, far off in the future, he'll be talking about ...more
Jay Miklovic
Great!! Where was my mind when I was supposed to be reading this stuff 15 years ago in school?

Frost's poem "The Bonfire" (it was in the kindle edition) is probably my favorite poem of all time. I will come back to this short book often for enjoyment and to simply get wrapped up in wonder.

Great little work, do yourself a favor and read a little Robert Frost now and then.
Trevor Fitzpatrick
I thought the poem was good and the message was strong but it was just too predictable. Even though I don't read a lot, I could tell what the ending was going to be about four lines in. I'm not saying the poem is bad, but only people that like classic, traditional poems or stories would really enjoy this.
Michelle
I first read Robert Frost in the fifth grade after being given an assignment to select a poem I liked and make a poster that illustrated it. I had read other poetry before this, but he was the first I had read who had dealt with nature in this way, which touched me on a profound level.
Gene Needham
When I was in high school, I started reading Frost. I own this one because of The Road Not Taken is my favorite poem of his. It also is a very beautiful song. Nice collection of his works which include some of his lesser known poems within the pages.
Dana
A beautiful poem they taught me at school loaded with thoughts. It shows us about the different choices we have to make in life and how always the least traveled road turns out to be the adventurous one and worth all the hardships.
William
I am trying to broaden my reading a little so I picked up a collection of Frost. I just don't get all the fussing and fawning. Some were ok but that is the best I would say about his work.
Jim
I decided to stretch myself a bit and read some poetry-a great collection to start with? My full review: http://jiresell.blogspot.com/2011/08/...
Karen
Loved most of the poems. I did feel that Frost left a lot to be desired when it came to story/background detail but maybe that's just part of his charm.
Donyale Mannino
My interpretation of this poem is that he had to make the decision which road he would go down in life. Although both could have either, a better outcome than the other, or, one better than the other. But one never knows until he actually decides and chooses that path. Taking the one less traveled meaning to me the easy way out. Thinking that the road he chose to go down would be the easier path although both paths were equally trodden(both had worn the same). Most people don’t take chances and ...more
Review Girl
"The Road Not Taken", is one of my favourite poems, taught me a lot about life and making right decisions at the right time. Golden age of great literature!
Zlatko  Vuletic
I enjoyed this poem because it relates to daily life and it is interesting and the techniques usedin the poem are used well.
R.a.
The commentataor mars this edition with syrupy praise and disdain, seemingly, for the reader.

Let Frost's poetry speak.
Jayden
This was one of the first great poems I have ever read. In fact it is my all time favorite because of the sentimental value behind it and the hidden truth not spoken about.

I felt an emotional connection with this poem because my family moved to Australia. Themselves taking the road less traveled by but of course it has left me with an emptiness that I can never get back.

I would recommend this poem to anyone, but I think you should take time to think about. It might bring back nostalgia, emptine
  • Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (Literature Guide: Grades 4-8)
  • Essays and Poems
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese
  • The Complete Sonnets and Poems
  • The Lady of Shalott
  • My Last Duchess and Other Poems
  • The Highwayman
  • Essential Tales and Poems
  • Poetry and Prose (Library of America)
  • Goblin Market and Other Poems
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Complete English Poems
  • 100 Best-Loved Poems
  • Selected Poems
Flinty, moody, plainspoken and deep, Robert Frost was one of America's most popular 20th-century poets. Frost was farming in Derry, New Hampshire when, at the age of 38, he sold the farm, uprooted his family and moved to England, where he devoted himself to his poetry. His first two books of verse, A Boy's Will (1913) and North of Boston (1914), were immediate successes. In 1915 he returned to the ...more
More about Robert Frost...
The Poetry of Robert Frost (Collected Poems, Complete & Unabridged) Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening Collected Poems, Prose, and Plays Selected Poems Robert Frost's Poems

“I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”
124 likes
“So when at times the mob is swayed
To carry praise or blame too far,
We may choose something like a star
To stay our minds on and be staid.”
9 likes