Start by marking “The Road Not Taken and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
The Road Not Taken and Other Poems

The Road Not Taken and Other Poems

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  29,778 Ratings  ·  248 Reviews
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

These deceptively simple lines from the title poem of this collection suggest Robert Frost at his most representative: the language is simple, clear and colloquial, yet dense with meaning and wider significance. Drawing upon everyday incidents, common situations and
Paperback, Unabridged, 49 pages
Published April 19th 1993 by Dover Publications (first published 1916)

To ask other readers questions about The Road Not Taken and Other Poems, please sign up.

Celeste Yost No -- this is a book of poetry by Robert Frost. It's a beautiful book.

Jean
This is a short selection of poems by Robert Frost, who was born in San Francisco, California, in 1874. Although he is considered to be one of the greatest American poets of the twentieth century, his first collection, "A Boy's Will" was originally published in England in 1913, during the 3 short years when he lived in England, between 1912-1915. In England he made some important acquaintances, including Edward Thomas and Rupert Brooke, who were both member of the group of six known as the Dymoc ...more
Steven
Sep 24, 2016 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, american, poetry
Forty six pages of greatness
when all is said and done,
these poems by Robert Frost
beam like the autumn sun.
Crisp under foot
breathing fresh country air,
in the land of Robert Frost
the trees are never bare.
With the freedom of a bird
just one more thing to say,
his spirit and poetic beauty
is always here to stay.

☮Karen
Feb 23, 2016 ☮Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, read-in-2016
I absolutely am not a poetry fan but I still have a few favorite poems from what I've heard over the years, which actually can be counted on one hand. Yep. There's Poe's The Raven, an oldie rock song or two, and then the rest would be an assortment of Robert  Frost's works: The Road Not Taken, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, and Birches. This book contains two of those and then several that left no impression on me. I feel bad about that because I really love Robert Frost, or at least the ...more
Peycho Kanev
Sep 10, 2011 Peycho Kanev rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Frost, do what only the exceptional poets do, he captures a moment, or moments that we all have experienced at one time in life all thru our whole life. "The Road Not Taken " can be placed against a passage in Longfellow's notebooks: "Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be,—a psychological romance of possibilities and things that do not happen. By going out a few minutes sooner or later, by stopping to speak with a friend at a corner, by meeting this man or that, or by ...more
Sally
Jul 29, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may sound cliched but this has always been a favorite of mine...I'm far from being able to recite any of his works, but something about curling up with this book feels like home to me.
Obsidian
Mar 23, 2015 Obsidian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: happy-birthday
I feel bad for saying this, but besides "The Road Not Taken". I really only liked two more of Robert Frost's poems. I ended up giving this 3.5 stars and rounded up to two on Goodreads.

Poems have never been my thing anyway so I am not that surprised that none of them really moved me besides that one and two others.

I think what got me is that most of the poems rhythm and meter seemed off because of the way that the sentences were written with commas and periods.

For example from In The Home Stretc
Sachin
Oct 07, 2012 Sachin rated it it was amazing
"The Road Not Taken" included in the list of 10 most liked poems by American Authors of All times is truly a perfect example of interweaving of delight and wisdom. Robert Frost one of the most liked American poet with his extraordinary brilliance and also known for his ambigious approach towards things, brings forth the ultimate reality of each and every human soul faced with the fact of making a decision in life.
the poem expatiates not on the choices available in one's life but on the one choic
Camilla
Mar 08, 2009 Camilla rated it it was amazing
I started reading Frost in high school and now after college years I still love his mastery of words. One of my favorites is The Mending WAll.
Summer
Nov 30, 2015 Summer added it
Shelves: for-school
No one hate me for this, but Robert Frost is fucking overrated.

Or maybe poetry in general just isn't for me.
Ðɑηηɑ
Mar 25, 2016 Ðɑηηɑ rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everybody. Forget about hating poetry (like I did) and pick it up
Shelves: male-authors, poetry
I have never liked poetry that much, which does not make much sense, since I love songs with beautiful lyrics. Yet, we have learned a poem of Robert Frost in English class in school and I really liked it - 'The Road Not Taken', actually. The english itself is not as hard as it might seem, and I could actually make sense out of it, and even enjoy it. The thing is, in class, we were discussing this poem forever and I, who got the meaning of the poem from the very first lesson, could not stand just ...more
Adrian Stumpp
Aug 29, 2009 Adrian Stumpp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern, american, poetry
I doubt anyone who has avoided reading Robert Frost is going to do it just because I say so. If you've never read a Frost poem, you've done so deliberately. All I can say is you're missing out. This collection is particular is very good. Editor Louis Untermeyer divides the collection into the various phases of Frosts career and adds commentary worth reading. I highly recommend Frost in particular to fiction writers, especially Frost's narrative poems, which are subtle and piercing.
Kelly
Jul 13, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems, classics
Borrowed this from my local library because I wanted to read my favorite poem by Mr Frost, The Road Not Taken. I absolutely love this poem, It's like my motto I try to live by. Anyways..I enjoyed this quick read and found a couple other poems to add to my collection. ( The four starts is for that poem alone hahaha )
Barbara Lovejoy
Jan 08, 2012 Barbara Lovejoy rated it liked it
I got this book because one of my most favorite poems is The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost. I was disappointed that I didn't find more poems in this book that I really liked. Maybe I need to read it again as it often takes more than one read with poetry---and books, too, for that matter!
Taymara Jagmohan
Aug 16, 2012 Taymara Jagmohan rated it it was amazing
A man of true sagacity.
Look me into his eyes, and see his warm prose. He writes like a tree, and lives as tall as one.

Robert Frost is a poet. He adjusts his imagination to reality, and adds inspiration to all his voices.

A common man with the most magical words. He doesn't ask for the wise to worship his words, and that's one of the glories of a true writer. They don't gratify anyone's compliments, but they know deeper in their depths what they are made of.

What this poet mentioned dug a life int
Jenny Schwartz
May 18, 2016 Jenny Schwartz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
In 2016 I had one reading goal - to read a book of poetry. "The Road Not Taken and Other Poems" by Robert Frost was the book on the shelf in the small poetry section at my local bookshop that appealed to me most, so that was what I chose. I wanted a collection of poetry from a single poet, one not too daunting so that I could read it slowly and enjoy it.

This collection begins with poems that affirm that life is good. There is a yearning celebration of relationships, of having a place where one b
Arcadia
Robert Frost is one of the most wide-read poets out there. And 'The Road Not Taken' is one of the most wide-read poems out there. With reason too. An excellent emancipatory poem that uses a road as the classical metaphor for life. The other poems in this collection however, where mystifying and frankly, quite uninspiring. The short ones were fine, I even liked "Design" and "House Fear", the latter sent the heebie-jeebies crawling down my neck. However, the long ones, particularly "The ...more
Corinne
Jun 29, 2011 Corinne rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Robert Frost's poetry, for all intents and purposes, is what opened my heart to the little things in life. Every flower, every gust of wind that lifts my hair... I notice these things and wonder and think and live. To keep myself centered, I remind myself everyday that "the road less travelled by" makes all the difference. A rain shower brightens my day. Snow makes me warm inside. Rivers and streams help me to breathe easier. The soft undulations of grass under a dying summer breeze ...more
J.M. Hushour
May 05, 2015 J.M. Hushour rated it really liked it
Consistent with my inconsistency, I have as many weird gaps in my poetry reading as I do with my fiction or proctology textbook reading. I confess to never having read more than a poem or two by the be-all end-all Robert Frost. And I have to say: not bad, Bob. You can spin some mother-flippin' verse like there's no tomorrow. I don't really have much more to say except: why does 'proctology' get flagged in spell-check?
Jan 31, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. Robert Frost is my all time favorite poet, and I have always had a soft spot for poetry. Frost examines nature, human frailty, life, and self confidence in this collection of poems. In my personal opinion, Frost has the ability to take an everyday experience that each person struggles with and turn it into a sentence that allows you to grasp the weight of the experience. I could read it over and over.
LemonLinda
Jun 28, 2016 LemonLinda rated it liked it
This is a little beautiful book and simple poems that are deep with beautiful images and deeper meanings. I love reading aloud those that I am more familiar with and read several times each of them to get at those deeper meanings because they don't pop out clearly for me on the first reading.

So poetry is not my comfort genre. In fact, I used this little book to fulfill the task for a challenge asking for a genre seldom read although I had this book for some time.
Ginger
Sep 25, 2011 Ginger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He has long been favorite poet. I cannot imagine not loving his poetry, but apparently there are those who do not. I think he can seem deceptively simple, but his poems have always painted vivid pictures for me.
Monica Jones
I absolutely love reading his poems. He is an amazing poet and analyzing his poems is fun. When you look deeper they had an important message.
Kati Kettleson
Mar 10, 2016 Kati Kettleson rated it liked it
Personal Response: I enjoyed this poem because it speaks so much truth. You always have a decision to make on which road to take in a certain situation. You can choose the way everyone else would, or you can choose the one unique to your situation. I gave it only three stars because I was hoping it would go deeper, as some of Frost's poems do.

Characterization: The guy had to make a decision: ultimately to be a follower or be a unique "leader." He could choose the path that most people walk, or
Andrew
Oct 01, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Robert Frost never leapt out at me during my sporadic forays into poetry. I was familiar with—and moderately fond of—a few of his most famous poems, and certainly the title poem of this collection, but never enough to seek out more. I picked up this collection because of David Orr's introduction, which did not disappoint. I love an intro that can contextualize the author both historically and in terms of current sensibilities. Orr is erudite, efficient, and precise, with enough wit (and ...more
Danny Hampson
Nov 02, 2010 Danny Hampson rated it liked it
Being a novice to the genre of poetry this book was a great introduction to one of the greatest American poets of all time. Frost’s takes scenes from his everyday life and turns them into beautiful happenings that drip with wonder. Frost’s simple style and often rhyming poems are enjoyable to read and are refreshing in their simplicity. Without trying to prove himself through heavy language each poem feels light and rolls off the tongue with a musicality that makes them impossible to forget. ...more
Travis Ristau
I thought this poem was a good inspiration for someone to do something different instead of copying everyone else. Robert Frost did a good job of using the split in a road as an example that could happen in real life to anyone. I feel like he also did a good job of explaining what each path looked like. This helps enhance that everyone was going down the same road, but he was different. I would recommend to anyone over 10 as they can probably comprehend its meaning.
Trevor Fitzpatrick
I thought the poem was good and the message was strong but it was just too predictable. Even though I don't read a lot, I could tell what the ending was going to be about four lines in. I'm not saying the poem is bad, but only people that like classic, traditional poems or stories would really enjoy this.
Jay Miklovic
Dec 29, 2011 Jay Miklovic rated it it was amazing
Great!! Where was my mind when I was supposed to be reading this stuff 15 years ago in school?

Frost's poem "The Bonfire" (it was in the kindle edition) is probably my favorite poem of all time. I will come back to this short book often for enjoyment and to simply get wrapped up in wonder.

Great little work, do yourself a favor and read a little Robert Frost now and then.
Emma L
Apr 10, 2015 Emma L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The way Frost can capture entire lives with such few words is truly inspiring. This collection was a gift from one of my closest friends, and oh what a gift it was. Frost's poems provides an amazing escape into another life, in more ways than one. Highly recommend this collection to fellow Frost fans, and to readers that want to start reading poetry.
Dana
Apr 09, 2011 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, school
A beautiful poem they taught me at school loaded with thoughts. It shows us about the different choices we have to make in life and how always the least traveled road turns out to be the adventurous one and worth all the hardships.
  • Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (Literature Guide: Grades 4-8)
  • Essays and Poems
  • The Complete Poems
  • Favorite Poems
  • The Raven and other poems
  • The Short Novels of John Steinbeck
Flinty, moody, plainspoken and deep, Robert Frost was one of America's most popular 20th-century poets. Frost was farming in Derry, New Hampshire when, at the age of 38, he sold the farm, uprooted his family and moved to England, where he devoted himself to his poetry. His first two books of verse, A Boy's Will (1913) and North of Boston (1914), were immediate successes. In 1915 he returned to the ...more
More about Robert Frost...

“I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”
164 likes
“Lovers, forget your love,
And list to the love of these,
She a window flower,
And he a winter breeze.

When the frosty window veil
Was melted down at noon,
And the caged yellow bird
Hung over her in tune,

He marked her through the pane,
He could not help but mark,
And only passed her by,
To come again at dark.

He was a winter wind,
Concerned with ice and snow,
Dead weeds and unmated birds,
And little of love could know.

But he sighed upon the sill,
He gave the sash a shake,
As witness all within
Who lay that night awake.

Perchance he half prevailed
To win her for the flight
From the firelit looking-glass
And warm stove-window light.

But the flower leaned aside
And thought of naught to say,
And morning found the breeze
A hundred miles away.”