Start by marking “Dark Hollow” as Want to Read:
Dark Hollow

Dark Hollow

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A fascinated tale by Green - it is full of horror and spine-chilling suspense. It will make the reader's blood run cold. Brilliant
Published July 13th 2009 by ReadHowYouWant (first published January 1st 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Hollow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Hollow

Thom Swennes
Nobody is above suspension… This mildly suspenseful story, published in 1914, didn’t match up to the hype on the cover. A man is wrongfully accused, apprehended, tried, convicted and executed. One could assume that this was a done deal and nothing more could be said. Wrong. The death of a convicted killer has far reaching social consequences for his survivors. These were especially felt in the societies around the turn of the century. When a young girl is shunned and social pressures prevent her ...more
Micky Parise
Jun 07, 2012 Micky Parise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written in 1914 and has to be one of the 1st truly murder/mystery novel. I really enjoyed the story line, the characters and the author's style of writing. Recommend highly.
Holly Jenson
This book was free on my Kindle, so I thought I'd give it a shot, especially since it got a horrible review from a person who was unable to write a coherent sentence. Another thing that interested me was the fact that Anna Katharine Green created the prototype for Nancy Drew in the form of Violet Strange. This was not a Violet Strange book, however.

I kept thinking I would get to a point where I would be intrigued enough to want to keep reading, but that did not happen even after plowing through
Brandi
Jun 25, 2014 Brandi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a good story but I feel like we took the long way around to get to the story. An old man is barricaded in his house for years after his friend is murdered. When his servant is killed he has no choice but to hire a woman who is at his door. She turns out to be the wife of the man who was convicted of his friends murder and together they work together to find the true killer. There is a surprise ending to this one if you can read the whole book.
Portobellord
Hum. This was not as interesting as Green's other books. The mystery is bland and there very little detecting. The guilty person instead confesses at the very end of the story and takes about ten pages to do so I might add. This could have been a great examination of the effects of guilt and how crime destroys the lives of everyone involved, but it just was not.
Judy
Jun 24, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this murder mystery. With it having been written a long time ago, the language and writing style were intriguing. It was more pschological than violent. It was a free Kindle download.

Karen
Aug 01, 2016 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cannot-finish
after reading reviews on here and finding this book was so droll I gave up. Too many books, too little time to waste on "fall asleep" stories.
Amy Beck
Apr 11, 2013 Amy Beck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie Campbell-jones
This was a good mystery! The ending surprised me big time!!
Jan
Apr 28, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most enjoyable read, would reccomend
Dora Suasnavar
Jan 28, 2014 Dora Suasnavar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it!
Susan Summers
Susan Summers marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Brandon Longstreth
Brandon Longstreth marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Sally Eldred
Sally Eldred rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Celtic
Celtic marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jun 06, 2016
Clockery Fairfeld
Clockery Fairfeld marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Neil
Neil rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Rika Thompson
Rika Thompson marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Joshua Moon
Joshua Moon rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Brandie Wagner
Brandie Wagner marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Serena
Serena added it
Mar 03, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Anna Katharine Green (1846-1935) was an American poet and novelist. She was one of the first writers of detective fiction in America and distinguished herself by writing well plotted, legally accurate stories. Born in Brooklyn, New York, her early ambition was to write romantic verse, and she corresponded with Ralph Waldo Emerson. When her poetry failed to gain recognition, she produced her first ...more
More about Anna Katharine Green...