The Caretakers

The Caretakers

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  21 reviews
1972, one year before the Roe v. Wade decision ... IF ever there was a case for justifiable homicide, this most certainly would be one. Only a few months shy of earning his law degree, Jasper Jamieson was desperate to recall all he had learned about the legal justification for killing another human being so he could validate the killing of the son-of-a-bitch that did this...more
Published July 28th 2011 by Createspace (first published May 23rd 2011)

The Opportunist by Tarryn FisherThe Sea of Tranquility by Katja MillayReason to Breathe by Rebecca DonovanThoughtless by S.C. StephensGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard
Best Books You've Never Heard of....
100th out of 758 books — 1,463 voters
Someone Like You by Sarah DessenForever by Judy BlumeDreamland by Sarah DessenGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksPerfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
YA Sex & Pregnancy Novels
143rd out of 233 books — 469 voters

More lists with this book...

Cristina
This book was an emotional roller coaster for me. It had reminders of summers when I was a child that brought sweet memories of my own cousins up. There are a lot of secrets, guilty feelings, sadness, anger, and forgiveness, hope and love. I think the most important thing they learn from this, (and in turn we learn), is how important communication is among people who love each other. I thought this was a beautifully told book. The characters were well developed - I felt like I knew them. The sto...more
Idris
This book was quite different from what I'm used to read, but I'm glad to say that I really enjoyed it. The story can be cruel and sad sometimes, but it also talks about love, family, death and how decisions can affect not only our life but also the life of the people we love.

The story starts with a breathtaking prologue, really dark, mysterious, and more than realistic that made me think and believe for a moment that I was there and that I was part of the story… That is why I'm not surprised wh...more
Krystal
This novel begins with a dark, haunting prologue-partly why the reader will continue to read. The reader isn't introduced to the main characters yet, but the prologue plays a large part in the plot and theme of the novel.

The author writes in an unusually smooth and captivating way, adding quotes from notable persons and detailing scenes very well. The reader will understand the atmosphere and be able to infer the emotions and thoughts of the characters fairly quickly in the book. The characters...more
Christy  (Love of Books)
The Caretakers was a touching story. My heart sank while reading the beginning. How does someone move on from such a traumatizing experience? The book follows Mabel, Caroline, and Jasper on their journey of getting past heartbreaking losses.

The descriptions in the book are beautiful. Also, I love how the story is told from different perspectives and all come together at the end.

It's a pretty quick read, but it's also moving and lovely.
Carrie
The Caretakers opens with a horrific scene that turns your stomach. I would not wish what happens to the young girl in the opening Prologue on anyone. The fact she was forced to make the decision she does is heartbreaking. This emotional opening is what held my attention to read this book.

The majority of the book is told from the point of view of Caroline, a 10 year old girl who has lost her mother at a young age but doesn’t feel the lack. Her father focuses his life on making sure she is happy...more
Cindy Gargano
I had high hopes for this story but unfortunately the book did not live up to them. It was a fast read and held my interest- mainly because I liked the main character and kept waiting for something else to happen. Also, I usually enjoy stories told from different view points and places in time, but I feel the author had a few problems with this technique. For example (without giving to much away) at one point of the story 2 children come across something unexpected during a daily adventure. Late...more
Mariah
Until two seconds ago, I planned on giving this book three stars. I definitely liked The Caretakers, but it's what I think of as a domestic, family drama - definitely not my usual fair. But the whole point of taking recommendations from other bloggers, friends, etc is trying new things.

What changed my mind and bumped the book up to four stars is the fact that Shauna Nosler nearly made me cry. That, my friends, is a huge accomplishment and deserves kudos. Well done, Ms. Nosler.

The Caretakers us...more
MiMi
I absolutely loved this book. Not only does it take place in my neck of the woods, so has totally endeared itself to me in that way, it is also a very engaging read.
There are so many interesting characters! It's all about the Jamieson family, who of course, represent their own different kind of dysfunction. Because, don't all families have a degree of dysfuntion?
The 11 year old Caroline is the main character, who, in passing her summer with her aunt at The Country House, and her cousin and best...more
Robynmakobiscribe
I was looking for the perfect summer read when I was found The Caretakers by Shauna Nosler. I have this thing about books, I need to be in the right frame of mind when I read them. I did the unthinkable and didn’t read the back cover before I started, I just dove right in unaware. The book is set in the early 1970s right before the Roe v. Wade decision was handed down. It’s a captivating story about a family who appears to be perfect from the outside looking in but that couldn’t be further from...more
Tammy
****I was given a copy of this book for my honest review****

This book is a bit surreal. I was not sure if I would like the book or not, since it does deal a bit with abortion. I am not here to argue which side is right or wrong. Sometimes when you read a story that has such a touchy subject to it, its hard to not bring in your own thoughts about it. I feel that Shauna did a great job of writing about such a touchy subject.

The way Shauna writes about the female and her family member(s) that knew...more
Gloria Bernal
Jan 02, 2012 Gloria Bernal rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone, young or old, male or female.
I thought going into this that it would be about abortion rights, but actually it isn’t. It is more about accepting the choices that we make under stress and living with the consequences, or the aftermath of those choices. Not about what is right or wrong.

This is a character-driven novel which opens with a raw, disturbing scene revolving around an abortion in 1972. Then it goes on to summers end, 1989, describing the adult life of Jasper Jamieson, attorney at law, a widower, with an 11 yr. old d...more
Connieb
I read The Caretakers in ebook format from B&N (I now notice that it's not offered) and my issue has 178 pages. I think I have the entire book, although at one point the story jumped so drastically I wondered if I might be missing a few brief chapters... I did grimmace at a couple blatant spelling errors (hear and here, too and to), perhaps those have been corrected in the ebook formats.
This is a coming-of-age story, of children learning some of life's more unfortunate lessons, experiencing...more
Theresa
Story about a girl who had an illegal abortion in the year prior to Roe v. Wade, and the repercussions for herself and her older brother (who comes to her aid). Intertwined is the story of her 11 yo niece dealing with a tragedy of her own. Good story, but confusing in that the storyline jumps around in time (to a ludicrous degree) AND is told from the perspective of three different characters. Makes it a bit hard to keep up. Perhaps sticking to one narrative "device" at a time would be nice? Al...more
Karen J
The Caretakers is packed with wisdom and insight. The rawness of grief is beautifully expressed.

Shauna grabs the reader immediately with a strong opening. At times, though I felt the story was a little disjointed as it jumped from one time period to another.

The Jamieson family struggles with loss and grief and each main character gracefully finds a way to survive and accept their pain. The characters grow, accept and forgive even though they don’t have all of the answers or know all of the tru...more
Terry Cohoe
I found that this novel took too long to get going, probably about chapter 4. Once it did, the narrator bounced from person to person which I found disjointed. The timeline was also erratic, alternating between past and present in a jarring manner. The characters were distinctive and well-developed, and parts of the plot were heart-wrenching and poignant eliciting a very emotional response. Overall I struggled to finish this, bogged down by the heaviness of the writing errors.
Amanda

Won book through first reads giveaways

I don't think I'll ever look at a suit of cards the same way again!

I admit I have a weakness for books that center around families. I loved how the author weaved two different timelines into this story and even though part of it is during the time of Roe v Wade, it's not preachy one way or the other. The Caretakers was an enjoyable read about dealing with loss and family secrets.
Kim
I dedicated yesterday and today to reading and finished the Caretakers! I absolutely love it! At first, with the way the story started, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to read it because I thought it would be too emotional for me, but it was perfect! And I love that it actually ended! Most stories keep you in suspense wanting more, but with The Caretakers, when I was done, I put it down and felt satisfied! Amazing!
Jessica
The story of this family could be in any family. Though, there was differences of opinion, they chose to stand on their beliefs, and remain a family. How interesting it was seen through the eyes of a child. Each chapter brings you a new thought process, and a different why to accept what is life, the way we handle it and always a hope for the future.

Jeanette
It's been awhile since I've read this book but I remember for the most part really enjoying. At times I had bit of a hard time following the timeline but this could be because I was currently in an insomniac phase. All in all I found it to be a poignant and touching story and would certainly recommend it to others to read.
Rachel
awful. I couldn't get more than 10% through because of the glaring grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Zlatathebookworm
Zlatathebookworm marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Alana
Alana added it
Oct 20, 2013
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Shauna Nosler was born in Seattle and grew up in and around Oregon’s Willamette Valley and it was her high school A.P. English teacher that spurred her initial interest in the wide, wide world of the written word.

“When I took my A.P. exam, rather than stick with the provided suggestions I challenged the academic standard and submitted an essay on Flaubert’s Madame Bovary. It was a gamble but it p...more
More about Shauna Nosler...